Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Travelling with baby, What to prepare and look out for?

views

TSmerchant9
post Sep 4 2012, 12:40 AM, updated 8y ago

On my way
590 posts

Hi all, I am just wondering if any of you have brought your babies out for family trips? We are planning a family trip (about 20 people) to Cameron Highland in the near future for one night only. Calculated around that time, my newborn will be around 3 months old. I am worried the weather may be too harsh for him, especially at night.

Can anyone share their experience?
ricstc
post Sep 4 2012, 12:47 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

I have two kids and as my work requires both my wife and I to travel by car within Malaysia a lot, we have been through all kinds of experience - on and off road - away from home - from breast feeding them in the car to sleeping at awkward places.

All fine. Just make sure that you and your kid has sufficient clothing if it is cold and enough sunlight (yes sunlight 15-20mins) at appropriate times during the day. You and baby needs that the most.

Take it easy and enjoy the bonding and all will be fine.
TSmerchant9
post Sep 4 2012, 12:54 AM

On my way
590 posts

QUOTE(ricstc @ Sep 4 2012, 12:47 AM)
I have two kids and as my work requires both my wife and I to travel by car within Malaysia a lot, we have been through all kinds of experience - on and off road - away from home - from breast feeding them in the car to sleeping at awkward places.

All fine. Just make sure that you and your kid has sufficient clothing if it is cold and enough sunlight (yes sunlight 15-20mins) at appropriate times during the day. You and baby needs that the most.

Take it easy and enjoy the bonding and all will be fine.
So, you are saying nothing to worry about even if the baby is only 3 months old?
celicaizpower
post Sep 4 2012, 12:57 AM

Race : ☐ Malay ☐ Chinese ☐ India ☑ /k/tard
1,159 posts

Hi There,

I went to cameron highlands recently and it get quite cold there at nights.

I would suggest you prepare medium level clothing for your 3 months old baby. further to that you can always close the window to keep warm.

Do monitor you baby body temperature so that neither your baby will either get too warm or too cold.

Aside from that do get an apartment with hot shower as it will be nicer during the morning.

btw, you can also buy clothing there at the night market or shops around that area.

ear muffs or cap are recommended if your baby tends to get cold ears.

Hope this helps.
ricstc
post Sep 4 2012, 12:58 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

Baby is a bit young but if my kids - boy and girl - both premature birth and both born at much lighter weigh than normal (2.xkg) could make it then Im just sharing from my experience.

If you are questioning my sharing - then DONT. Why listen to me and why ask the question if you want to doubt.

Fxxking ungrateful. Give advice also get this kind of fxxking respond. How sam mow how pow
gkl83
post Sep 4 2012, 09:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,243 posts

for my family side preferably NO...

1. baby may no able to sleep well while traveling, baby must have more rest and sleep for proper growth...
2. 3 months old baby still quite "fragile", anything can happen even though camp at house...
3. baby need required "sarong" to sleep easily which your baby comfortable with, otherwise it is a nightmare if baby no willing to sleep on flat mattress and it is torturing the baby if keep awake...
4. you may need Plastic Baby Bath Tube for safety reason when taking bath for baby...

AMO, better play safe for short rather than regret for long... maybe you can bring ur baby go to genting highland for a try first before cameron highland, at least genting have proper medical facilities and genting ambulance can "drift" till general hospital KL / universiti hospital PJ if worst case happened... smile.gif
TSmerchant9
post Sep 4 2012, 10:01 AM

On my way
590 posts

QUOTE(celicaizpower @ Sep 4 2012, 12:57 AM)
Hi There,

I went to cameron highlands recently and it get quite cold there at nights.

I would suggest you prepare medium level clothing for your 3 months old baby. further to that you can always close the window to keep warm.

Do monitor you baby body temperature so that neither your baby will either get too warm or too cold.

Aside from that do get an apartment with hot shower as it will be nicer during the morning.

btw, you can also buy clothing there at the night market or shops around that area.

ear muffs or cap are recommended if your baby tends to get cold ears.

Hope this helps.
Hi there, thanks for your suggestions! Yes, I totally forgotten about ear muffs and caps. We will definitely bring some of those. It's only for one night so packing will be light, overlooked but thanks for reminding.

QUOTE(ricstc @ Sep 4 2012, 12:58 AM)
Baby is a bit young but if my kids - boy and girl - both premature birth and both born at much lighter weigh than normal (2.xkg) could make it then Im just sharing from my experience.

If you are questioning my sharing - then DONT. Why listen to me and why ask the question if you want to doubt.

Fxxking ungrateful. Give advice also get this kind of fxxking respond. How sam mow how pow
Hi, what you mean this kind of fxxking respond? I think you misunderstood. I am not questioning your sharing, I just needed more suggestions. Any suggestions are welcome. "How sam yau how pow" - do not give up on humanity. Cheers! smile.gif

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Sep 4 2012, 09:07 AM)
for my family side preferably NO...

1. baby may no able to sleep well while traveling, baby must have more rest and sleep for proper growth...
2. 3 months old baby still quite "fragile", anything can happen even though camp at house...
3. baby need required "sarong" to sleep easily which your baby comfortable with, otherwise it is a nightmare if baby no willing to sleep on flat mattress and it is torturing the baby if keep awake...
4. you may need Plastic Baby Bath Tube for safety reason when taking bath for baby...

AMO, better play safe for short rather than regret for long... maybe you can bring ur baby go to genting highland for a try first before cameron highland, at least genting have proper medical facilities and genting ambulance can "drift" till general hospital KL / universiti hospital PJ if worst case happened... smile.gif
We are only going for 1 night. It's a big group trip about 20 family members from grandparents to grandchildren. It's hard to gather everyone these days so just wanna grab the opportunity. Moreover, grandparents getting old, so wanna spend some time building memories with them.

3 months can sleep sarong? I was told not to let them until 6 months old cause worry got backbone issues as sarong can be quite soft. I dont think I am going to shower him unless we can boil some hot water, mix it into a tub and let it cool off. Wipe him with a towel, that's probably about it.
AliceCasey
post Sep 4 2012, 12:46 PM

3 posts

3 months is big enough to travel, no worries. Just bring more cloths (+ mittens & socks) and enough diapers for your baby. No need to shower your baby if only intend to stay there one night. Just remember to bring along moisturizer cream, lip balm and a baby sling pouch.
UpCar
post Sep 4 2012, 02:08 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(merchant9 @ Sep 4 2012, 10:01 AM)
Hi there, thanks for your suggestions! Yes, I totally forgotten about ear muffs and caps. We will definitely bring some of those. It's only for one night so packing will be light, overlooked but thanks for reminding.
Hi, what you mean this kind of fxxking respond? I think you misunderstood. I am not questioning your sharing, I just needed more suggestions. Any suggestions are welcome. "How sam yau how pow" - do not give up on humanity. Cheers! smile.gif
We are only going for 1 night. It's a big group trip about 20 family members from grandparents to grandchildren. It's hard to gather everyone these days so just wanna grab the opportunity. Moreover, grandparents getting old, so wanna spend some time building memories with them.

3 months can sleep sarong? I was told not to let them until 6 months old cause worry got backbone issues as sarong can be quite soft. I dont think I am going to shower him unless we can boil some hot water, mix it into a tub and let it cool off. Wipe him with a towel, that's probably about it.
my daughter 8 days old already sleep sarong liao.
heron
post Sep 4 2012, 02:41 PM

43 posts

1. Take necessary medicine (optional only), cream for dry skin, medicated oil.
2. Bring some extra boiling water if the baby drink formula milk.
3. take extra clothes.

I took a flight when my baby just 8days old. As long as we make them warm and cozy should be ok.

Hv a nice trip.
TSmerchant9
post Sep 4 2012, 03:01 PM

On my way
590 posts

Medication, yes, that will be necessary!! smile.gif Thanks for the reminder!
glenelg
post Sep 4 2012, 05:01 PM

43 posts

i'll say it's ok, in fact better to start early too. to train yourself to travel with a baby and also to train your baby to travel and be adaptable. of course u'll need to take your baby's condition into consideration. is he/she the type that easily falls sick? and what kind? fever/flu/cirit-birit? bottom line is, travelling is fine, but take it easy, make more stops, drive slowly, so that baby can adapt to the air pressure of the highland accordingly. bring some baby blankets to keep warm. no need fancy clothings like ear muffs, just balut in blankie wink.gif

Added on September 4, 2012, 5:01 pmi'll say it's ok, in fact better to start early too. to train yourself to travel with a baby and also to train your baby to travel and be adaptable. of course u'll need to take your baby's condition into consideration. is he/she the type that easily falls sick? and what kind? fever/flu/cirit-birit? bottom line is, travelling is fine, but take it easy, make more stops, drive slowly, so that baby can adapt to the air pressure of the highland accordingly. bring some baby blankets to keep warm. no need fancy clothings like ear muffs, just balut in blankie wink.gif

This post has been edited by glenelg: Sep 4 2012, 05:01 PM
TSmerchant9
post Sep 4 2012, 09:42 PM

On my way
590 posts

Yes, making more stops seems logical as we are driving upward to the highlands. I think the air pressure (make the ears go blocked) may affect them as well.

I dont know if he get sick much but then he has a little colic I believe. He cries from 11pm - 7am in the morning. I am kind of worry his face color might change so have to keep monitoring him overnight. It's quite sanfu sometimes but anyhow, just going to the dr tomorrow to confirm if everything is ok.
cherylburning
post Sep 20 2012, 12:28 AM

14 posts

do not worry bout travelling with babies, basically, travelling is tiring but baby will adapt....
in my own experience, i travelled within malaysia with both of my babies when they are quite young....
my 1st premature baby 1st travelled once she has gone stable (out of surgeries and no major sickness)...
my second healthy baby travelled on her 2nd mth to my grandmas then to my mom's place...
all those are pretty far, singapore, ipoh, johor, genting and so on...
oh i even heard that western ppl travel overseas with newborn babies! of course they do cry in the plane due to the preasure since they are still a little young but there is a trick to keep them quiet thou...let me know if you need the tricks.. smile.gif
i've tried all lol...

Added on September 20, 2012, 12:34 amoh and one thing...since you're travelling to cameron, make sure you drive slowly and make lot's of stop on the way up... take your time, you don't want to stress the baby...same thing when you come down...also make sure you have everything the baby need, from clothing to food to medication, ointment and cream for cuts, mossy bites and bruise... i'm a bit kiasu but my child get to enjoy when we travel so that's what matters smile.gif

This post has been edited by cherylburning: Sep 20 2012, 12:34 AM
danielisme
post Sep 20 2012, 01:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,113 posts

When my baby was 3 month old . I brought him to genting highland stay a night . Next day came home he Flu started. If can avoid better don't bring him go . If cant then do more preparation don't let your baby catch cold. Give your baby wearing hat all times
FabuData
post Sep 22 2012, 01:21 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

Thanks for bringing this thread up TS.. i will need to travel cross country as well when my baby is 1 month old very very soon.. was wondering what to do and if she can travel.. haha~

Added on September 22, 2012, 1:22 pmThanks for bringing this thread up TS.. i will need to travel cross country as well when my baby is 1 month old very very soon.. was wondering what to do and if she can travel.. cus now even thinking of nanny travelling with us.. haha~

This post has been edited by FabuData: Sep 22 2012, 01:22 PM
apmahira
post Sep 26 2012, 12:37 PM

36 posts

hi just wanna share my exprience :

we went to NZ in year 2009 and at that time my second child was only 3 months old.. my first child was 3 years old. we had a long journey on aircraft and it was really packed up with passanger as the airline was code sharing with another airline. we travelled from Kul - Sin - Sydney - christchruch. huhu so you can imagine how many take offs and landing we went thru.. huhu it wasnt easy and my baby was crying all the time because of feeling uneasy.. but thank God everything went well and we safely reach NZ.

we stayed in NZ for the next 28 days..hahaha yeah a long vacation and it was during the winter..and again thank god my baby react well to the wheather. smile.gif

tips : bring enough of medication such as panadol syrup, cough , colic , flu syrup just incase if ur child need those. because it is a troublesome to buy medicine over the counter in western countries smile.gif
happygirl85
post Sep 26 2012, 01:34 PM

9 posts

most importantly, got babysitter to take care of when traveling..

for the baby more than 1-2 yrs old, then it will be better.... few months baby i think not deem fit to travel.
aladdin
post Sep 29 2012, 11:56 PM

True Love Never Runs Smooth
4,346 posts

EDD: Mid Nov
Expecting flying back to M'sia: Feb

Is this fine for a 3months old baby taking flight?
b00n
post Sep 30 2012, 07:37 PM

delusional
Group Icon
Staff
9,137 posts

QUOTE(aladdin @ Sep 29 2012, 11:56 PM)
EDD: Mid Nov
Expecting flying back to M'sia: Feb

Is this fine for a 3months old baby taking flight?
No issue. Just have to make them comfortable. Maybe milk just before takeoff and landing.
My baby had been taking flights since 3 months old. But mostly short haul I.e. within 2 hrs.
aladdin
post Oct 1 2012, 09:01 AM

True Love Never Runs Smooth
4,346 posts

QUOTE(b00n @ Sep 30 2012, 07:37 PM)
No issue. Just have to make them comfortable. Maybe milk just before takeoff and landing.
My baby had been taking flights since 3 months old. But mostly short haul I.e. within 2 hrs.
It will be 8hr flight. sweat.gif

Bought tickets for both me and my wife but not for the baby (since we still havent decide which name for the baby, as well as the DOB). doh.gif
b00n
post Oct 1 2012, 10:49 PM

delusional
Group Icon
Staff
9,137 posts

Babies sleep a lot. Make them comfortable like the example I gave and they will sleep.
The only problem with long haul is the tight space for the parents. Request to sit in front and ask for a bassinet.

Herre are some tips on the web
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/newbornbabie...abyairplane.htm

If you fly with Qantas, you may need to request upfront upon reservation according to this website
http://traveling-kids.blogspot.com/2011/09...licies-for.html
tang niu
post Oct 3 2012, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

1st make sure u hv bb carrier. my son 2 mths already travel from kl to mlk during cny. it take abt 4 hours drive.
2. get ready all the medicine alone.
3. get ready hot water to make milk or drinking
4. wear more clothes, you may let bb wear 2 or 3 clothes
1 night should not be any problem, let enjoy ur family trip
KohSin
post Oct 12 2012, 03:07 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

hi, i will bring my baby which is estimated to be 1 month + to melaka from kl during 2013 chinese new yr.......will be staying in a hotel....how do u all let baby sleep? ask hotel to provide cot? is cot = sarong? or let baby sleep with mum on queen size bed n dad sleep on extra bed?
sweeboon
post Oct 12 2012, 03:23 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Oct 12 2012, 03:07 PM)
hi, i will bring my baby which is estimated to be 1 month + to melaka from kl during 2013 chinese new yr.......will be staying in a hotel....how do u all let baby sleep? ask hotel to provide cot? is cot = sarong? or let baby sleep with mum on queen size bed n dad sleep on extra bed?
Hotel will provide baby cot if you request early. Also ask for extra small pillows because the cot they provide might not be baby-proof.

If you don't feel comfortable with the ones provided by hotel, you can bring your own playpen.

In my opinion, your baby is still very small, so it's better NOT to share the same bed with parents smile.gif
KohSin
post Oct 12 2012, 07:48 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

QUOTE(sweeboon @ Oct 12 2012, 03:23 PM)
Hotel will provide baby cot if you request early. Also ask for extra small pillows because the cot they provide might not be baby-proof.

If you don't feel comfortable with the ones provided by hotel, you can bring your own playpen.

In my opinion, your baby is still very small, so it's better NOT to share the same bed with parents smile.gif
Use playpen to let baby sleep inside?

Hmm.....v planning to let her sleep with me neh...v will use pillows to build a small castle to avoid i accidentally slept on her...cuz my MIL very against buying baby bed for her, said waste money lah, no use lah, blah blah blah
nyumnyum2k
post Oct 14 2019, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
109 posts

Hi All

i'm a frequent traveller with my wife and baby ( about to be 1 years)

May i know what should i invest since i dont prefer to give puree to my baby and prefer make him porride

please advice

from my reading, its good if i invest buy a travel cooker or warmer and also storage (eg coleman )

thanks
Daddy2be
post Oct 14 2019, 03:56 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(merchant9 @ Sep 4 2012, 12:40 AM)
Hi all, I am just wondering if any of you have brought your babies out for family trips? We are planning a family trip (about 20 people) to Cameron Highland in the near future for one night only. Calculated around that time, my newborn will be around 3 months old. I am worried the weather may be too harsh for him, especially at night.

Can anyone share their experience?
Are you first time parents ?

Will your wife and baby have their private space whereever you're staying ?

The difference in air pressure would cause discomfort that your baby doesn't know how to quell or understand and that may last an entire day. At 3 mth old your baby would still need to feed every 2-3 hours can your wife do this comfortably ? What's your wife opinion about this trip ?

From my own experience and opinion, at that age I didn't even bring them out of the house extended period of time. It was a period in time where we are trying to instill some form of routine for the baby. And I haven't even touch on the traveling needed to get to Cameron.

I'm guessing you're first time parent. So brave haha but I hope it turns out well if you decide to go
Daddy2be
post Oct 14 2019, 03:58 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Oct 12 2012, 07:48 PM)
Use playpen to let baby sleep inside?

Hmm.....v planning to let her sleep with me neh...v will use pillows to build a small castle to avoid i accidentally slept on her...cuz my MIL very against buying baby bed for her, said waste money lah, no use lah, blah blah blah
Infant sharing a bed with anyone is the number 1 reason for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome especially the first 6 months. Don't just browse forum. Google and read up. Your own baby. Don't be afraid to stand up against anyone for his/her safety.
Daddy2be
post Oct 14 2019, 03:59 PM

Casual
353 posts

Holy shiet I just realize this is necro thread LOL

I wonder how everything went
KohSin
post Oct 14 2019, 09:55 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

QUOTE(Daddy2be @ Oct 14 2019, 03:58 PM)
Infant sharing a bed with anyone is the number 1 reason for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome especially the first 6 months. Don't just browse forum. Google and read up. Your own baby. Don't be afraid to stand up against anyone for his/her safety.
😅 my gals at 6year old and close to 5yo d...end up for 2nd baby she slept on her own at a mattress put on the floor and i sleep with hubby on the bed while eldest girl slept inside the baby cot...so when midnight i need to breastfeed i just roll over from my bed to bb
Daddy2be
post Oct 14 2019, 10:18 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Oct 14 2019, 09:55 PM)
😅 my gals at 6year old and close to 5yo d...end up for 2nd baby she slept on her own at a mattress put on the floor and i sleep with hubby on the bed while eldest  girl slept inside the baby cot...so when midnight i need to breastfeed i just roll over from my bed to bb
Great to know everything turned out well for you ! 2nd baby girl how old now ?
KohSin
post Oct 14 2019, 10:54 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

QUOTE(Daddy2be @ Oct 14 2019, 10:18 PM)
Great to know everything turned out well for you ! 2nd baby girl how old now ?
Close to 5year old ya
Daddy2be
post Oct 14 2019, 10:57 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Oct 14 2019, 10:54 PM)
Close to 5year old ya
Wah the gap so close..how you survive during the first 24mths of your 2nd baby ? Got any tips ?
kohchuup
post Oct 15 2019, 02:46 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 14 2019, 10:50 AM)
Hi All

May i know what should i invest since  i dont prefer to give puree to my baby and prefer make him porride

please advice

from my reading, its good if i invest buy a travel cooker or warmer and also storage (eg coleman )

thanks
1) travelling by car, flight, cruise or etc?
2) duration of the travel?
KohSin
post Oct 15 2019, 02:46 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

QUOTE(Daddy2be @ Oct 14 2019, 10:57 PM)
Wah the gap so close..how you survive during the first 24mths of your 2nd baby ? Got any tips ?
seriously it wasnt too difficult....as my eldest was close to 2 year old when i gv birth to my 2nd baby...so she can understand our commands and can express herself well...like pee and poo, she was already potty trained at that time, so no need to wear pampers. and yes, the gap was a bit close and i kena nurse in KK marah, said i didn't jaga my body...
Daddy2be
post Oct 15 2019, 03:23 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Oct 15 2019, 02:46 PM)
seriously it wasnt too difficult....as my eldest was close to 2 year old when i gv birth to my 2nd baby...so she can understand our commands and can express herself well...like pee and poo, she was already potty trained at that time, so no need to wear pampers. and yes, the gap was a bit close and i kena nurse in KK marah, said i didn't jaga my body...
You're supermom then !
BillCollector
post Oct 15 2019, 06:55 PM

On my way
516 posts

We have never been one to keep baby at home as I follow a very Scandinavian mindset when it comes to these matters. Probably stems from reading up on a lot of their parenting guides when I first knew we were going to have a baby.

Our eldest :-

1st trip after being discharged? We brought her to Babyland at PJ SS2 when she was 2 days old.

10 days old, a day trip to Malacca. Why? Wanted to bring her near a coast line and it is good for the mummy too to get out of the house. Took forever to get there as every 45 minutes would stop to lift her off the seat to hold her for 10-15 minutes before continuing the journey.

20 days old, brought to Genting for 2 nites as I had an event. I finally for the first time knew my then Alfa MiTo could be driven at 90km/h on the highway and it could be driven slow up that road to Genting. Would drive 10-15 minutes, then stop as was very afraid her ears couldn't take the pressure. She slept through the entire journey.

30 days old, brought to Penang for 5d/4n also for an event. Took 11 hours to get to Penang as drove 20 minutes stop 10 minutes or longer. I became very familiar with all the RnR stops and lay-bys.

45 days old, brought to Cameron Highlands for a week. We did lots of stops and get out of car along the way. Took 8 hours to arrive our hotel. This one was done together with another family that had a 23 day old son, a maid and a grandmother.

100 days old, brought on her first flight to Phuket. Best tip?? Time the feedings so the entire time during take off the baby is being breastfed. Entire flight was drama free.

Supposedly mountain and coastal air is good for both mummy and baby.

When we had our 2nd, did something fairly similar too except Genting was replaced with Frasers' Hill.

Best advice on travelling with a young baby?? Forget schedules, time tables and itineraries. If it is a travel for business that the wife is tagging along leave early as you WILL be needing to make lots of stops.

On staying in hotels? Try to stay in the best ones you can afford as higher end hotels are far better at accommodating a baby than lower end ones and try to keep sleeping arrangements to be as close as possible to that at home.

Regrets??? Wish I had made time to bring them on more trips.

Advice for dads : Take care of the mummy very well during travels. smile.gif

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 14 2019, 10:50 AM)
Hi All

May i know what should i invest since  i dont prefer to give puree to my baby and prefer make him porride

please advice

thanks
The best?? Buy a compact rice cooker and a hand cranked food processor. That was my wife's favored method as at that time most of those baby food makers were at its infancy and many of them took a long time to cook.

Today, the Philips Avent ones are pretty good.

pysh
post Oct 15 2019, 07:03 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

~Deleted~

This post has been edited by pysh: Oct 15 2019, 07:04 PM
nyumnyum2k
post Oct 16 2019, 09:46 AM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(kohchuup @ Oct 15 2019, 02:46 PM)
1) travelling by car, flight, cruise or etc?
2) duration of the travel?
travel by car . have not travel by flight yet but plan next 2 month

duration : 2--4 hours in car

thanks
quebix
post Oct 16 2019, 02:53 PM

Gelato Director
807 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 16 2019, 09:46 AM)

thanks
during baby stages, my son kinda weird.

he knows when i stop the car. then he starts crying or become uneasy.

even if we stop at traffic light.

those days, traffic jam is my worst nightmare
kohchuup
post Oct 16 2019, 03:12 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 16 2019, 09:46 AM)

thanks
by car, just let him sit in a child seat, bb and toddler easy to fall asleep while travelling on a car, we travel to pg from kl (he is around 7 mo) stop for toilet and carry him out from the seat for 15-20mins then continue our journey, (wife breast feed every 2-3 hours)

will travel by car around 2 hours and flight for 2 hours 45 mins and another hour travelling every 2-3 months once from my son 4 mo till now 2 y 9mo, also
the same, seat in a car seat, usually he will sleep, even if he's awake, he will just look out the window. flying before he is 1yo, easier cause usually sleep the entire flight or bf, after 1 yo a little bit harder cause his ears started to develop (dr told us about this tho so i m not sure cause i didnt go and find out) and only now he can feel the pressure, so before take off and almost landing will let him bf.
now 2 y 9mo harder cause seldom sleep, only sleep in the car, during flight wont want to sleep n play with things and will let him to watch his cartoons.

will bring along a few spare diapers, prepare some fruits, will feed him flight meal, 2 sets of extra clothing, his water bottle, socks n etc...

that's it...

all the best ya
BillCollector
post Oct 17 2019, 02:08 AM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Oct 16 2019, 02:53 PM)
during baby stages, my son kinda weird.

he knows when i stop the car. then he starts crying or become uneasy.

even if we stop at traffic light.

those days, traffic jam is my worst nightmare
Both of mine were that way too.

Gibs Gab P
post Oct 22 2019, 04:11 PM

Probation
4 posts

Well, from my personal experience and opinion, I'd avoid travelling while baby is still so small. With my kid I've waited for him to reach 1 year old for his first trip to Turkey. I was happy as I didn't need to worry much and I've already known my baby's needs. Better one smooth family vacation rather than fast "here and now" type of travel.
tyrionlannister10
post Nov 19 2019, 09:00 AM

27 posts

For me it's fine. I brought my daughter of 3 months to genting . Just make sure got enough clothe so the baby doesn't get cold
budang
post Nov 29 2019, 09:33 AM

On my way
556 posts

Hello guys, first time parent here.

Baby born here in Malaysia and never experienced cold weather. Is it ok to travel to cold country when baby is just ~16 weeks old? It'll be a 4:30 hour flight and temperature will be about 7-18 on average, could be lower than 7 degree celcius but rarely. Planning for a 9 days trip. Any parents here done that before? If yes what are the precautions you do? Did your baby adapt well to the weather or did he/she react terribly to the weather?

Worried our baby will catch cold and fall sick due to inhaling cold air.
BillCollector
post Dec 2 2019, 04:44 PM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Nov 29 2019, 09:33 AM)
Hello guys, first time parent here.

Baby born here in Malaysia and never experienced cold weather. Is it ok to travel to cold country when baby is just ~16 weeks old? It'll be a 4:30 hour flight and temperature will be about 7-18 on average, could be lower than 7 degree celcius but rarely. Planning for a 9 days trip. Any parents here done that before? If yes what are the precautions you do? Did your baby adapt well to the weather or did he/she react terribly to the weather?

Worried our baby will catch cold and fall sick due to inhaling cold air.
I bought my daughter to Britain when she was 5 months old and temperature was around that as it was late autumn.

Does your baby sleep in an air conditioned room?

Stuff to watch out for?

-keep your baby layered.
-Protect from strong winds as it is the windchill that is most harmful.
-Keep your baby well moisturized as the air is dry and damaging to their skin.
-If in MY the feed is every 3 hours, try feeding every 2 hours instead as the cold will cause them to go hungry a bit sooner.
budang
post Dec 2 2019, 09:56 PM

On my way
556 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 2 2019, 04:44 PM)
I bought my daughter to Britain when she was 5 months old and temperature was around that as it was late autumn.

Does your baby sleep in an air conditioned room?

Stuff to watch out for?

-keep your baby layered.
-Protect from strong winds as it is the windchill that is most harmful.
-Keep your baby well moisturized as the air is dry and damaging to their skin.
-If in MY the feed is every 3 hours, try feeding every 2 hours instead as the cold will cause them to go hungry a bit sooner.
Yup she sleeps in air conditioned room almost 24 hours a day.

Anything to watch out during flight?
BillCollector
post Dec 2 2019, 11:35 PM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 2 2019, 09:56 PM)
Yup she sleeps in air conditioned room almost 24 hours a day.

Anything to watch out during flight?
On flight :-

1) Try to time a breastfeed (direct latch if possible) when the aircraft taxis for take off, this will minimize the pressure on the ears. This is the absolute most important step to take and will make a difference between a non-stop crying baby vs a baby that sleeps through much of the flight.

2) Baby has any blocked nose issues?? Clear it before boarding the flight with some nose drops and a nasal aspirator. Otherwise the breast feed at take off will be useless. Supposedly a blocked nose will make the pressure at the ears even more painful.

3) The aisle of the plane is your friend..... keep pacing the aisle if your baby is the type that cannot be stationary for too long.

4) A breast feed at time of descending will help a lot also as per #1.

5) Download a video or two of a nursery rhyme or the infamous Baby Shark song. It will help when all else fails.

budang
post Dec 3 2019, 03:50 PM

On my way
556 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 2 2019, 11:35 PM)
On flight :-

1) Try to time a breastfeed (direct latch if possible) when the aircraft taxis for take off, this will minimize the pressure on the ears. This is the absolute most important step to take and will make a difference between a non-stop crying baby vs a baby that sleeps through much of the flight.

2) Baby has any blocked nose issues?? Clear it before boarding the flight with some nose drops and a nasal aspirator. Otherwise the breast feed at take off will be useless. Supposedly a blocked nose will make the pressure at the ears even more painful.

3) The aisle of the plane is your friend..... keep pacing the aisle if your baby is the type that cannot be stationary for too long.

4) A breast feed at time of descending will help a lot also as per #1.

5) Download a video or two of a nursery rhyme or the infamous Baby Shark song. It will help when all else fails.
Thank you for your advise, appreciate it! notworthy.gif
BillCollector
post Dec 3 2019, 03:52 PM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 3 2019, 03:50 PM)
Thank you for your advise, appreciate it!  notworthy.gif
You're welcome.

I should also have added, both the parents should keep a very cool head.

Else....................... the baby will be fine you 2 won't be when you get off the flight smile.gif
budang
post Dec 4 2019, 10:22 AM

On my way
556 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 3 2019, 03:52 PM)
You're welcome.

I should also have added, both the parents should keep a very cool head.

Else....................... the baby will be fine  you 2 won't be when you get off the flight smile.gif
Haha will take your advise. I'm sure you're an experienced one from the advises you gave wink.gif

Fingers crossed hoping all will be fine and she will adapt to travelling
Queen_AQ
post Dec 4 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

Depend on the child when you travel. Some children more susah. If i travel by car usually i just ask my parents to come also then got extra help
BillCollector
post Dec 6 2019, 05:43 PM

On my way
516 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 4 2019, 10:22 AM)
Haha will take your advise. I'm sure you're an experienced one from the advises you gave  wink.gif

Fingers crossed hoping all will be fine and she will adapt to travelling
Another important thing I forgot to mention, check if the airlines has a bassinet for your baby.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0633sec    1.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th February 2020 - 06:35 AM