9 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Best country to migrate to?, Berhijrah from malaysia

views

boonwuilow
post Sep 10 2016, 09:19 PM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

Of course... the land of freedom, where one can survive by hunting animals with just guns and ammo and nothing else. Great car with pure raw american power, nice food that garantee u can gain weight.
segamatboy
post Sep 10 2016, 09:58 PM

On my way
637 posts

Dont know how to use Goggle??? Or too lazy to type???

QUOTE(LiarLiar @ Sep 10 2016, 09:22 PM)
ya 4got to gip example.
malayantiger
post Sep 11 2016, 04:49 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(nasiklemak @ Sep 10 2016, 01:17 PM)
pros n cons?
Pros: Nice, compact city, multi-cultural, quiet. I love the greenery, you are never far from the countryside. Good cycle trails (Taff and Ely), my favourite.

Cons: Lacking career opportunities, esp tech based, hence not suited for 'younger' people, I guess. The Welsh can be rather parochial.

Like TSOM says, there is no 'best country'. All depends on what you are after. I am semi-retired, so it suits me. smile.gif
hackwire
post Sep 11 2016, 05:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

QUOTE(malayantiger @ Sep 9 2016, 02:03 PM)
Sorry. I thought this was kopitiam!  Anyway, I chose Cardiff, Wales. Been here about 15 odd years. Love it here. Lovely city, beautiful countryside.
are u still there?

malayantiger
post Sep 11 2016, 08:10 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Sep 11 2016, 05:03 PM)
are u still there?
Yes, and I will probably live off the rest of my life here, lol nod.gif
shea2812
post Sep 12 2016, 05:39 AM

Casual
450 posts

QUOTE(malayantiger @ Sep 11 2016, 04:49 AM)
Pros: Nice, compact city, multi-cultural, quiet. I love the greenery, you are never far from the countryside.  Good cycle trails (Taff and Ely), my favourite.

Cons: Lacking career opportunities, esp tech based, hence not suited for 'younger' people, I guess. The Welsh can be rather parochial.

Like TSOM says, there is no 'best country'. All depends on what you are after. I am semi-retired, so it suits me.  smile.gif
Funny that I rather think them Welsh were pretty pleasant when I was there many years ago. I suppose time have changed that Then again that was Swansea. Did feel that Cardiff was not the same then.
Trebuchetti
post Sep 12 2016, 07:48 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(kelvin4578 @ Sep 6 2016, 04:26 PM)
portland, nice place to work
Plus, indie music capital of America and cute hipster girls!

But seriously, I'm considering Canada, specifically Toronto or anywhere else in Ontario.
malayantiger
post Sep 12 2016, 01:02 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(shea2812 @ Sep 12 2016, 05:39 AM)
Funny that I rather think them Welsh were pretty pleasant when I was there many years ago.  I suppose time have changed that  Then again that was Swansea.  Did feel that Cardiff was not the same then.
Don't get me wrong. The Welsh are great, friendly people. In fact they have welcomed more refugees than the English or Scots. Cardiff being a coal and iron ore port in the 19th and 20th century makes it a very cosmopolitan city. Areas of Butetown and Grangetown are heavily populated with North Africans and Asians. Its when you go north of Cardiff onwards, (the Valleys) then the landscape gets whiter laugh.gif

What I mean by Welsh being parochial is they are very nationalistic. The don't like the English and top positions are very usually kept for themselves. You see that distinction in academia as well. I'm generalising a bit here but just to give you an idea. laugh.gif
ericgapz
post Sep 12 2016, 03:41 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(malayantiger @ Sep 12 2016, 01:02 PM)
Don't get me wrong. The Welsh are great, friendly people. In fact they have welcomed more refugees than the English or Scots. Cardiff being a coal and iron ore port in the 19th and 20th century makes it a very cosmopolitan city. Areas of Butetown and Grangetown are heavily populated with North Africans and Asians. Its when you go north of Cardiff onwards, (the Valleys) then the landscape gets whiter  laugh.gif

What I mean by Welsh being parochial is they are very nationalistic. The don't like the English and top positions are very usually kept for themselves. You see that distinction in academia as well. I'm generalising a bit here but just to give you an idea.  laugh.gif
Ques:
1) how did u end up in Cardiff?

2) was finding a job there a problem?

froz3nnoob
post Sep 12 2016, 09:19 PM

Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the tr
806 posts

If i'm going to migrate, i will migrate to USA...
malayantiger
post Sep 12 2016, 11:05 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(ericgapz @ Sep 12 2016, 03:41 PM)
Ques:
1) how did u end up in Cardiff?
I was in my late 30's, wanted a career and life change, so decided to take up PhD at Cardiff University. Mid-life crisis, lol. Uprooted 2 kids, wife and myself. Friends thought I was crazy then!  biggrin.gif .

2) was finding a job there a problem?
Depending on type of jobs tbh. As a student then, I could work 20 hours a week. Not difficult. Student unions advertise job vacancies. As a student then, I work in a cake factory and then at Boots the Chemist warehouse. The latter was a much better job. My wife could work as well. So we never had to fork out much savings from back home. The wages were good, paid our rent, makan and bills.  biggrin.gif

TBH, things are very different nowadays since Eastern Europeans (Polish, Slovakians, Bulgarians etc) start flooding the UK job market around 2004/5. Lower end jobs are mostly dominated by them. Locals won't do it, non EU are squeezed out. Looking around I see a lot of non EU tend to work in respective takeaways or have their own small business. Professional jobs are the way to go if you are keen to settle in UK.

BTW, immigration rule have changed so much since I came. I guess I was lucky to have made a decision to move when I did. Even Americans, Canadians, Oz and NZ citizens are finding difficulty in securing jobs or PR. Anyway, Brexit will turn the tables against EU citizens. Perhaps UK will favour the Commonwealth once again! Who knows?  biggrin.gif

k town shit
post Sep 12 2016, 11:12 PM

Enthusiast
757 posts

Sweden, but getting a PR in the country is so hard, even if u got the money to buy a property n spend on the PR application, they still require the applicant to be able to speak their language.
Australia is relatively easy with the condition u have good background and financial steady
SUSempatTan
post Sep 13 2016, 05:18 AM

Regular
1,678 posts

Just flood australia with asians. They need to realise that they are in fact in Asia.
SUSempatTan
post Sep 13 2016, 01:43 PM

Regular
1,678 posts

QUOTE(Just_Me_Just_Me @ Sep 13 2016, 01:37 PM)
no they're not. australia is a continent.

user posted image
U like grouping things into colours, don't u...?
JoJawJack
post Sep 13 2016, 02:29 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

If i, it will be norway or iceland. Vikingssss
Twins10
post Sep 13 2016, 07:42 PM

Enthusiast
913 posts

If you earn rm20k month in Malaysia, would you give it up to migrate?
SUSPerfect.Stranger
post Sep 13 2016, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

Malaysia still. Won't migrate
malayantiger
post Sep 14 2016, 04:59 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(cadburypicnic @ Sep 14 2016, 03:26 AM)
Wales is too boring. I'd rather be in Brum, Manchester, Bristol or Glasgow. Big lively cities but not outrageously expensive. I feel slightly regretful about not staying on in the UK after my studies. But that ship has sailed.
You never know. Opportunities may come knocking on your door. Just keep your eyes peeled.
shea2812
post Sep 14 2016, 05:22 AM

Casual
450 posts

Never did like Brits weather. Pretty wet in South Wales. People were great tho...managed to pick up a bit of their accent after a short study stint and I carried that to Noorthern England. Many times I got this funny look..'You dont look like Welsh to me!!".... ha ha
I suppose after all these years I do kinda think that in a gobal world now places really are just the same. Its them people that makes them different. Many who get to do stints in those faraway places never really gets that.
ciahcra
post Sep 15 2016, 01:07 AM

Always hungry
897 posts

I like Japan. Too bad they did not really accept immigrant

9 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:15 AM