post Sep 8 2016, 06:56 PM

Casual
320 posts

Syria
malayantiger
post Sep 9 2016, 02:03 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(malayantiger @ Sep 8 2016, 06:56 PM)
Syria
Sorry. I thought this was kopitiam! Anyway, I chose Cardiff, Wales. Been here about 15 odd years. Love it here. Lovely city, beautiful countryside.
malayantiger
post Sep 11 2016, 04:49 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(nasiklemak @ Sep 10 2016, 01:17 PM)
pros n cons?
Pros: Nice, compact city, multi-cultural, quiet. I love the greenery, you are never far from the countryside. Good cycle trails (Taff and Ely), my favourite.

Cons: Lacking career opportunities, esp tech based, hence not suited for 'younger' people, I guess. The Welsh can be rather parochial.

Like TSOM says, there is no 'best country'. All depends on what you are after. I am semi-retired, so it suits me. smile.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 11 2016, 08:10 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Sep 11 2016, 05:03 PM)
are u still there?
Yes, and I will probably live off the rest of my life here, lol nod.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 12 2016, 01:02 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(shea2812 @ Sep 12 2016, 05:39 AM)
Funny that I rather think them Welsh were pretty pleasant when I was there many years ago.  I suppose time have changed that  Then again that was Swansea.  Did feel that Cardiff was not the same then.
Don't get me wrong. The Welsh are great, friendly people. In fact they have welcomed more refugees than the English or Scots. Cardiff being a coal and iron ore port in the 19th and 20th century makes it a very cosmopolitan city. Areas of Butetown and Grangetown are heavily populated with North Africans and Asians. Its when you go north of Cardiff onwards, (the Valleys) then the landscape gets whiter laugh.gif

What I mean by Welsh being parochial is they are very nationalistic. The don't like the English and top positions are very usually kept for themselves. You see that distinction in academia as well. I'm generalising a bit here but just to give you an idea. laugh.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 12 2016, 11:05 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(ericgapz @ Sep 12 2016, 03:41 PM)
Ques:
1) how did u end up in Cardiff?
I was in my late 30's, wanted a career and life change, so decided to take up PhD at Cardiff University. Mid-life crisis, lol. Uprooted 2 kids, wife and myself. Friends thought I was crazy then!  biggrin.gif .

2) was finding a job there a problem?
Depending on type of jobs tbh. As a student then, I could work 20 hours a week. Not difficult. Student unions advertise job vacancies. As a student then, I work in a cake factory and then at Boots the Chemist warehouse. The latter was a much better job. My wife could work as well. So we never had to fork out much savings from back home. The wages were good, paid our rent, makan and bills.  biggrin.gif

TBH, things are very different nowadays since Eastern Europeans (Polish, Slovakians, Bulgarians etc) start flooding the UK job market around 2004/5. Lower end jobs are mostly dominated by them. Locals won't do it, non EU are squeezed out. Looking around I see a lot of non EU tend to work in respective takeaways or have their own small business. Professional jobs are the way to go if you are keen to settle in UK.

BTW, immigration rule have changed so much since I came. I guess I was lucky to have made a decision to move when I did. Even Americans, Canadians, Oz and NZ citizens are finding difficulty in securing jobs or PR. Anyway, Brexit will turn the tables against EU citizens. Perhaps UK will favour the Commonwealth once again! Who knows?  biggrin.gif

malayantiger
post Sep 14 2016, 04:59 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(cadburypicnic @ Sep 14 2016, 03:26 AM)
Wales is too boring. I'd rather be in Brum, Manchester, Bristol or Glasgow. Big lively cities but not outrageously expensive. I feel slightly regretful about not staying on in the UK after my studies. But that ship has sailed.
You never know. Opportunities may come knocking on your door. Just keep your eyes peeled.
malayantiger
post Sep 17 2016, 04:14 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(shea2812 @ Sep 14 2016, 05:22 AM)
Never did like Brits weather.  Pretty wet in South Wales.  People were great tho...managed to pick up a bit of their accent after a short study stint and I carried that to Noorthern England.  Many times I got this funny look..'You dont look like Welsh to me!!"....  ha ha
I suppose after all these years I do kinda think that in a gobal world now places really are just the same.  Its them people that makes them different.  Many who get to do stints in those faraway places never really gets that.
Btw this summer has been great. Long sunny days, short nights, fire up the outdoor pizza oven, wine and beers....this is the life!

You are right. The winter can drag though. But Wales is home for me. It's safe, comfortable and peaceful.
malayantiger
post Sep 17 2016, 11:58 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(KoChun @ Sep 17 2016, 09:16 PM)
nice sharing.
a bit off topic, but why you anti-Nestle?
LOL, it started many years back when my kids came back from school and announced we all need to be 'anti-nestle'.
Lots of topics on this. TBH, Nestle has such a huge grip on the food industry, no way we can completely stop Nestle.
Just google their confectionery range for instance! Its just a gesture that they should help the community more.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-bus...nestle-facebook

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en...-change/kitkat/

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

https://www.facebook.com/antinestle/

icon_rolleyes.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 18 2016, 12:23 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(Quang1819 @ Sep 17 2016, 09:45 PM)
Just curious, but are people there racist?
Subjective really. Don't they say racism is everywhere and anywhere? How does one measure racism? You do read of racially motivated attacks off and on in newspapers. There seems to be a rise in attacks on Muslims and recently in the wake of Brexit, there has been a rise in anti-Polish and Eastern Europeans. The papers here tend to over hype everything. But on a personal level, I have never been faced with racial abuse nor have I witness one myself. I have often discussed this matter with my family, wife and kids but they have the same story.

The neighbourhood where I live is rather mixed and has been peaceful. My workmates are nice people and I have made many good friends here. To put things in a nutshell, I think at a face to face level, or in dealing with people here in general, they show very little if any racial connotations. What they really feel in their mind and heart may be completely different.

There are robust laws here against discrimination and racism. On the whole I feel less discriminated here than Malaysia simply because in Malaysia racism is institutionalised. For example by the time you are born, you are either a non or a bumi. And then as you move on in life you realise that university places are again subject to this policy, etc, etc. That kind of discrimination, you don't face here. icon_rolleyes.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 18 2016, 10:03 PM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(langstrasse @ Sep 18 2016, 08:26 PM)
If you don't mind, could you tell us which industry you're currently working in ?
I'm in my 50's now. So now just work in retail part time to cover monthly expenses. Too old and too tired to be doing anything 'serious' now tbh.
If you follow some of my early 'education' threads you probably know my background. Life is short, enjoy yourself before its too late! YOLO all the way now. smile.gif
malayantiger
post Sep 21 2016, 04:32 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(KoChun @ Sep 21 2016, 01:47 AM)
+1
I know what you mean. After some 59yrs born above Singapore, still the D Y M M with all due respect, still treats a part of the population like step children. You know, like P. Ramlee movies.
How I wish can enjoy life like you.
How did you began your journey to migrate?
Got tips to share?
You know the saying 'I envy you, you envy me!'. Many who have migrated will not tell you the hard slog and hardship they have to face initially. TBH, its no plain sailing, for me anyway. I uprooted the family to make it in a 'new' place. It was like 'do or die'. If I had to pack our bags and 'balik kampong', I donno. Perhaps all my friends and relatives will laugh at me saying 'I told you so'. All in all, it took me and my family 7 long years of uncertainty before ILR (indefinite leave, i.e. PR) came to fruition. So where to begin? Let's see...

1) Do plenty of research. Seek all avenues. Regularly check up on immigration rules of that particular country. Rules keep changing!

2) Join some immigration forums. Look up the internet, there are plenty. Learn from other people's experience. mistakes.

3) Have not only Plan A, but Plan B and even Plan C. For example when our ILR seems doomed at one point, we even look at Canada as an option.

4) Have enough resources before you take the plunge. By that I mean enough savings to stretch you out say over 6 months without income.

5) Ask yourself if you really like the country you want to migrate to. Going there on holiday is very different from living in that country.

6) Are you prepared to leave all your creature comforts, your relations, friends, your 'status', job, etc, etc for a new life? You can get very lonely and frustrated in a new place!

The more prepared you are, the more confident you will be in taking up the challenge.

...finally, if all this end in failure, can you take it in the chin and tell yourself, 'At least I tried, and I have nothing to lose!' If you have to balik kampong and eat the humble pie, how? sweat.gif

This post has been edited by malayantiger: Sep 21 2016, 12:49 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.13    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:44 AM