SPAM - SCAM Messages Awareness & Guideliness

views

TSXploit Machine
post Apr 18 2011, 07:50 PM, updated 7 months ago

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

SPAM - SCAM Messages Awareness & Guideliness

user posted image

The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has proposed several measures to clamp down on spam. MCMC issued a discussion papers in which it listed out several proposals to combat the incidence of unsolicitied e-mail and SMS (short message service).

The proposals include formulating a definition of spam for regulatory purposes, imposing mandatory measures on service providers, and a multi-tier plan to resolve spam-related complaints and disputes. If the problem recurs or becomes excessive, MCMC suggested that users lodge complaints with service providers, failing which a complaint could be lodged with the Consumer Forum, or with the Content Forum for issues related to the content of the unsolicited messages. As a final recourse, users could complain to MCMC. To combat spam originating from overseas, MCMC proposed efforts to initiate the setting up of regional and “possibly” global collaborative alliances with foreign regulators, service providers, non-government organisations, and related projects and initiatives in other parts of the world.

Promoting services via SMS is gaining popularity because of the mobile penetration rate in Malaysia has surpassed 100%. However because of the non-existence of the specific guideline regarding the SMS promotions, the SMS for advertising has become free for all industry. As an association we would like to develop and nurture this new advertising channel so it would not be misused and cast a negative impression from the public. Enclosed is a proposed guideline on the SMS Promotion that should be adhered to by all the CPs.

The common and standardised guidelines between TELCO and MCMC to the consumers are:

English Version
1. Reply STOP and send to (Received Gateway) eg. STOP send to 32777
2. Reply STOP ALL and send to (Received Gateway) eg. STOP ALL send to 32777

Bahasa Melayu Version
1. Reply BATAL and send to (Received Gateway) eg. BATAL send to 32777
2. Reply BATAL SEMUA and send to (Received Gateway) eg. BATAL SEMUA send to 32777

Additional Information
Telco should activate a catch-all SMS that being sent to 6 series. If a recipient reply to the 6 series broadcast, with the word STOP, then all the future SMS promo for all the broadcast should be stopped.

ON PROMO - Activate all promotions (chargeable)
OFF PROMO - Stop all promotions (non-chargeable)

Above commands are also applicable for promotion types of SMS messages.

With this method, only one database should be maintained for each telco. All the SMS promo via 6 series will consult this database first before broadcast. Enabling reply to 6 series will make it easier for the recipient to Opt-Out without the need to send to a 3 series shortcode.

Note: Above commands are agreed by the commision as FREE OF CHARGE and telecommuncations operator has no authority to charge the consumer for above listed commands.

Additional Readings

SMS Promotion prohibited to be sent are as follows:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Downloads
MCMC Guidelines Mobile Content - [url=http://www.skmm.gov.my/skmmgovmy/files/attachments/825138GuidelinesMobileContent.pdf[/url]
MCMC SMS Promo Guideline - [url=http://www.mmcp.org.my/wp-content/themes/qualifire/files/SMSPromoGuideline.pdf[/url]

SMS Gateway Lists (Please contribute if have, updates are often)

SMS Gateway Lists DiGi Subscribers Only (Please contribute if have, updates are often)
- a contribution from alicialcc
Download: http://www.skmm.gov.my/link_file/consumer/...%20platform.pdf

Tips - Identifying ORIGINAL & FAKE (3rd party SMS's)

ORIGINAL - Celcom

ORIGINAL - Maxis

Screenshots above are examples of the original SMS sent by Celcom Axiata Berhad (Celcom) to its customers. The following are examples of original SMS sent by Maxis Communications Berhad (Maxis) to its customers

FAKE - Maxis

Number of the sender is composed of 6xxxx 3xxxx or in some cases. To your knowledge, 3xxxx numbers have been designated as an SMS access number for the content of third parties and not directly from the network operator. Number 6xxxx I'm not sure, but almost all the SMS received from 6xxxx are promoting or advertising from third parties. So, if you received an SMS from 6xxxx or 3xxxx number, please be careful and read it carefully.

Style and sentence structure used is messy and sometimes 'fragmented'. There is a mixture of Malay and English. Normally the words most often used by service providers is as 'Register free', 'Without the charge list', 'free SMS mobile content', and others. Look, they emphasize the word 'free' or 'bonus' in the SMS as a bait to attract the attention of readers and junior free registration. You have a feeling something is wrong?

Remember, in most cases, yes, registration is free and no one would ever be charged! You will be charged as agreed and accepted the specified service. Thus, sentences free registration is merely bait and if you sign up, you AGREE considers them subscribe to them and will be charged a premium for the service itself is not sure! See their tactics?

There are also some more despicable, 'disguised' as a network operator!

See below screenshot:

If You Have Accidentally Subscribed !

Maybe then you are not sure or no knowledge to distinguish between genuine and fake SMS, and you have to register / subscribe. Serves this fool and take credit / phone bill. How to get out of this crisis? Follow the steps below,

FIRST: Send command to cancel service the same number you used to register. For example, if you send 'ON section' to the number 30000, and to cancel service, send 'OFF section' or 'STOP section' to the same number (30 000). Your subscription will be canceled upon receipt of the SMS confirmation from the relevant authorities.

Conversely, if the command 'OFF' or 'STOP' will not cause any effect (no response) or you forget the name of the service you subscribe to, try to 'STOP ALL' and wait for a response from the parties concerned. In most cases, the command 'STOP ALL' this is effective. If this also does not have any effect, then the next step is necessary.

SECOND: Make a call to your network and tell them the problems you face. Your network can help identify to services you subscribe to accidental and provides guidance on how to cancel it. Calls must be made to the Customer Service operator, respectively.

Conclusion

Many think that network operators have the ability to prevent (block) numbers of external service providers. Ability to block is there, but the operator does not have the power to prevent a number unless directed in writing or direct instructions from the authorities (police, government and others). In addition, there are other users who may use the service and prevent the action would cause the number of users can not use the service.

In conclusion, consumers should investigate and carefully read any SMS received from a third party. If you are unsure of the contents of the SMS or its contents very suspicious, ignore, and if able to save SMS as evidence if there is any problem in the future.

Thanks to: http://audifaliq.wordpress.com

And now, stop creating duplicate SPAM / SCAM threads and read this !

This post has been edited by Xploit Machine: Sep 8 2023, 06:04 PM
adrianccseng
post Apr 18 2011, 07:58 PM

Guthfloga
1,530 posts

another good guide from sifu xploit

pin pin pin!
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 18 2011, 08:00 PM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(adrianccseng @ Apr 18 2011, 07:58 PM)
another good guide from sifu xploit

pin pin pin!
Thanks, and I would also appreciate the MOD / STAF could do a random search for SPAM / STOP ALL related messaged into this thread and PIN it nod.gif

Let it be at 1 place for the specific discussion .. icon_rolleyes.gif
mengsuan
post Apr 18 2011, 09:22 PM

9W2NNS
Group Icon
Staff
10,459 posts

Pinned.
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 18 2011, 09:24 PM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(mengsuan @ Apr 18 2011, 09:22 PM)
Pinned.
thanks mengsuan, btw i need a help .. if u have free time can merge all the related posts to here? .. if not nvm .. thanks for the effort and help nod.gif
adrianccseng
post Apr 18 2011, 09:58 PM

Guthfloga
1,530 posts

oh yay~ my apply success
thx mod tongue.gif
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 18 2011, 10:03 PM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(adrianccseng @ Apr 18 2011, 09:58 PM)
oh yay~ my apply success
thx mod tongue.gif
thanks for the help nod.gif .. i will try contact my ex-manager to get down some SMS gateway lists and company so easy for guide nod.gif
XeactorZ
post Apr 19 2011, 12:33 AM

♥ PandaDog ♥
All Stars
31,225 posts

good guide again
anyway pls also pinned another thread which is smartphone guide ~~
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 19 2011, 12:39 AM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(XeactorZ @ Apr 19 2011, 12:33 AM)
good guide again
anyway pls also pinned another thread which is smartphone guide ~~
wat was tat? issit the "Battery" thread? hmm.gif
Dannyl
post Apr 19 2011, 08:18 AM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

32393 - Magnum 4D
33131 - Sports Toto
62005 - Alliance Bank (may be used by others)
63365 - Standard Chartered Bank

TS, please sort the the shortcodes to make it easier to search:)
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 19 2011, 10:04 AM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Apr 19 2011, 08:18 AM)
32393 - Magnum 4D
33131 - Sports Toto
62005 - Alliance Bank (may be used by others)
63365 - Standard Chartered Bank

TS, please sort the the shortcodes to make it easier to search:)
great share, thanks ... gimme an example of your suggestion .. hmm.gif alpabetical order?
sikosiko
post Apr 19 2011, 12:43 PM

Nyinyer Tang®
1,043 posts

great informations TS rclxms.gif
bardshah92
post Apr 19 2011, 04:49 PM

Nemes1s
634 posts

QUOTE(Xploit Machine @ Apr 19 2011, 10:04 AM)
great share, thanks ... gimme an example of your suggestion ..  hmm.gif alpabetical order?
Alphabetical order also ok.

Maybe sort out according to their services.
Dannyl
post Apr 19 2011, 04:53 PM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

QUOTE(Xploit Machine @ Apr 19 2011, 10:04 AM)
great share, thanks ... gimme an example of your suggestion ..  hmm.gif alpabetical order?
I was thinking of by shortcode order... so when we have some new SMS, we can scan the numbers to see if it's already listed.
quireyuyue
post Apr 19 2011, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
137 posts

whats the different between STOP and STOP ALL command??
TSXploit Machine
post Apr 19 2011, 08:58 PM

孤独な旅行者
6,827 posts

QUOTE(quireyuyue @ Apr 19 2011, 05:28 PM)
whats the different between STOP and STOP ALL command??
eg. 32777 may have promotion on postpaid which u will receive and STOP will stop on that specific promotion only, STOP ALL will reject all the SMS from 32777 smile.gif

eg .. jangan cakap dengan saya, jangan cakap dengan kumpulan saya .. icon_rolleyes.gif
Dannyl
post May 18 2011, 02:42 PM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

I noticed 63365 is also used by Nokia.
hackwire
post May 22 2011, 11:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

I try to STOP ALL but a message returning back saying that i did not subscribe to the service or some sort of subscription. The thread did not mention anything about subscription.

annoymous1234
post May 24 2011, 10:41 AM

Cheapest condo in PJ
7,343 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 22 2011, 11:24 AM)
I try to STOP ALL but a message returning back saying that i did not subscribe to the service or some sort of subscription. The thread did not mention anything about subscription.

I also got like the above. I want to stop promotional sms from hotlink, I don't wanna recieve like "reload RM30 and get RM5 on bla bla" or MMS from them, how do I do that?
gREeN jAKIro
post May 24 2011, 11:24 AM

5 posts

39966 - http/goo.gl/IUeDC
celcom user here...

18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.36    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:47 PM