30 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

[ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 12:36 AM, updated 9y ago

46 posts

Hi Guys.

Just would like to share some insights on shaving (facial hair, that is!).

My occupation prefers (but does not require) me to be clean-shaven, and until recently, I've had trouble with shaving. Mind you, I'm hitting 31 this year, so I'm no newbie to razor burns, nicks and cuts.

I used to use multi-bladed cartridge shavers (Gillete, Shick, Bic) with canned spray-foam. A summary of my problems:

1. I ALWAYS had razor burns in order to attain a near- 'baby-smooth-shave'. This prevented me shaving daily as my face needed healing time.

2. Shaving cartridge blades are expensive. RM10 per cartridge for a Mach 3.

3. Due to no.2 above, I tend to use the blades longer (like a week or two) before changing them. This dulled the blades, causing further 'no.1' problems.

4. Sometimes, I got ingrown hairs (yuk)

Anyway, went searching for an alternative, and the first thing I did was change the foam. From canned-spray, I started using home-made shaving soaps, mixed into a thick, luxurious lather with a shaving brush. This was OK, I got less of the burns, but the shave quality was still S***.

So, I got myself my first ol-skool double-edged razor. Was the only one available, less than RM10 per razor, and about RM2 per pack of 5 blades. First shave was horrible. Scarry as hell. Thanks to the internet and practice, got me a good routine going, and got closer shaves than was ever possible with a cartridge razor.

By now, I managed to source real shaving soap. It really makes a mockery of the 'whipped-cream' sold in supermarkets.

But I wanted to grow up, and get a proper DE razor. Never found one in KL. Even Acca Kappa doesn't stock 'em. I thought that with all the cheap blades being sold everywhere (mostly at Indian grocery shops), one would easily find a quality DE razor. Was wrong. Best I could find was an RM4 made in China number that tried to carve my face off!

Anyway, long story short, I got my Edwin Jagger DE89 and got me the closest shave ever. Really, a BBS! No bleeding, no razor burn, and no stinging while putting aftershave.

I now shave everyday, and I S*** you not, its actually enjoyable!

Here's my gear:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Shaving soap and brush:
Attached Image

This post has been edited by carbman: Feb 28 2011, 05:20 PM
kuzgo
post Feb 28 2011, 12:41 AM

Getting Started
266 posts

Just out of curiousity, if you had so much trouble shaving before, how come you didnt just use an electric shaver?
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 12:45 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kuzgo @ Feb 28 2011, 12:41 AM)
Just out of curiousity, if you had so much trouble shaving before, how come you didnt just use an electric shaver?
Electric shavers don't work for me either. It actually gives me worse razor burns than a cartridge razor. And the shave is never close enough, IMO.

Chuckieee
post Feb 28 2011, 12:48 AM

24 posts

Have you ever try:
user posted image
kotmj
post Feb 28 2011, 12:53 AM

The Coatmaker's Apprentice
3,799 posts

I use a cheap electric razor and never looked back. The shave isn't close but even the closest shave would look like what I get from the electric razor by noontime anyway.

I like the tone of this thread, sometimes we think progress is made with MACH100 and stupid shit they try to get the public to upgrade to, but sometimes our grandfathers have got the problem solved more elegantly, more sensually, and more effectively than any marketing-driven organization like Gillette, or just as bad (with food), Nestle and Kraft. You see this a lot in bespoke tailoring where innovation is actually a regress, not progress.
Cheenoo
post Feb 28 2011, 01:17 AM

Alpha as fuck
845 posts

Thanks for sharing, I have read numerous 'perfect shave' articles that recommends this. Nice to know someone here actually does it.
gregy
post Feb 28 2011, 01:22 AM

Casual
410 posts

Hey TS, mind sharing where you got that Edwin Jagger?
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 01:33 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(Chuckieee @ Feb 28 2011, 12:48 AM)
Have you ever try:
user posted image
That's a straight razor. For people with steady hands and balls of steel! cool2.gif Damn cool. Would probably try that in the future. Only thing is that it needs sharpening. CONSTANTLY!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:43 am
QUOTE(kotmj @ Feb 28 2011, 12:53 AM)
I use a cheap electric razor and never looked back. The shave isn't close but even the closest shave would look like what I get from the electric razor by noontime anyway.

I like the tone of this thread, sometimes we think progress is made with MACH100 and stupid shit they try to get the public to upgrade to, but sometimes our grandfathers have got the problem solved more elegantly, more sensually, and more effectively than any marketing-driven organization like Gillette, or just as bad (with food), Nestle and Kraft. You see this a lot in bespoke tailoring where innovation is actually a regress, not progress.
Hi kotmj! I've read your threads on shoes, tailoring and suitmaking. Really informative! One way I could describe a DE shave in terms you could relate to would be comparing a fused, RTW Padini suit to a fully canvassed masterpiece. brows.gif One would be able to know the benefits once one has tried. Heck....I even shave on weekends now!

About late day stubble, I get 'em really late now, much around the time I contemplate 'cabut'-ing from work (around 5-ish). Results vary, but if you're good with an electric shaver and your face can handle it, you'll be awesome with a DE razor.

And yeah, Gillette has spawned a 5-blade razor:

user posted image

They seem to add a blade every 4 years or so!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:48 am
QUOTE(gregy @ Feb 28 2011, 01:22 AM)
Hey TS, mind sharing where you got that Edwin Jagger?
Got it online. Tried as I might, alas, I couldn't find any good ones locally. I'm beginning to think those who still buy the blades (readily available everywhere) are barbers. The cheap DE razors are almost lethal.

This post has been edited by carbman: Feb 28 2011, 05:21 PM
attacusatlas
post Feb 28 2011, 07:43 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,427 posts

i am using this currently:

user posted image
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(attacusatlas @ Feb 28 2011, 07:43 PM)
i am using this currently:

user posted image
Does it use a mach 3 cartridge head?

attacusatlas
post Feb 28 2011, 09:15 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,427 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM)
Does it use a mach 3 cartridge head?
yes it is
kotmj
post Feb 28 2011, 10:03 PM

3,799 posts

carbman, what brand of blade do you use in the EJ?

Added on February 28, 2011, 10:25 pmI feel a sudden and intense longing for my own EJ after reading online reviews of it. It's sounds like the best razor made in human history.

This post has been edited by kotmj: Feb 28 2011, 10:25 PM
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:04 AM

Regular
1,965 posts

@carbman,

currently i am using my late grandfather's Gillette Super Adjustable (fr 1960s or 1970s). single blades rock n i don't get those irritating shaving bumps/acne anymore. I don't have much facial hair so for shaving I use Shiseido Men Shaving Cream or Shiseido Men Cleaning Foam (doubles up as shaving foam).

I am using Gillette Super Nacet blades...bought a new pack fr mamak sundry shop last week. Super Nacet still in production ? What blades do u use for your Edwin Jagger ?

This post has been edited by jonny4: Mar 1 2011, 12:07 AM
TScarbman
post Mar 1 2011, 12:19 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Feb 28 2011, 10:03 PM)
carbman, what brand of blade do you use in the EJ?

Added on February 28, 2011, 10:25 pmI feel a sudden and intense longing for my own EJ after reading online reviews of it. It's sounds like the best razor made in human history.
Word on the street is that different faces respond differently to different blade-razor combinations. I haven't tried ordering blades from the net yet (would I have any trouble with customs?), but have heard rave reviews concerning Derby blades. Its recommended that one tries a sampler pack (around USD10) to choose the most suitable for one's own needs.

That said, I've tried Gillette Nacet, Topaz, Bic, and some other cheaper blades. Best so far are the Bics. Very smooth.

Added on March 1, 2011, 12:25 am
QUOTE(jonny4 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:04 AM)
@carbman,

currently i am using my late grandfather's Gillette Super Adjustable (fr 1960s or 1970s). single blades rock n i don't get those irritating shaving bumps/acne anymore. I don't have much facial hair so for shaving I use Shiseido Men Shaving Cream or Shiseido Men Cleaning Foam (doubles up as shaving foam).

I am using Gillette Super Nacet blades...bought a new pack fr mamak sundry shop last week. Super Nacet still in production ? What blades do u use for your Edwin Jagger ?
Yes, super Nacet is still in production, methinks. BTW, your razor has some rave reviews....don't ever sell it off (unless it to me lah) tongue.gif

This post has been edited by carbman: Mar 1 2011, 12:26 AM
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:31 AM

Regular
1,965 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Mar 1 2011, 12:19 AM)
Yes, super Nacet is still in production, methinks.  BTW, your razor has some rave reviews....don't ever sell it off (unless it to me lah) tongue.gif
That's good news to me...I will be using my Super Adjustable for many more years haha...and maybe pass it on to my kids...

Definitely won't sell...considered family heirloom edi biggrin.gif

btw...other than Gillette Super Nacet...what other brand of similar type blades are available in Malaysia ?

This post has been edited by jonny4: Mar 1 2011, 12:35 AM
shark7
post Mar 1 2011, 12:34 AM

Regular
1,367 posts

actually is there anyway to prevent the mostache and beard growing ??

most of my chinese friends.i think all chinese friends doesn't hve mostache and beard ..

i hate shaving ..but if i din't shave,, i feel sratchy and i din't look good if not shave

everyday must shave ..
kotmj
post Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM

3,799 posts

I wonder if the shaving performance suffers because we here in Malaysia typically do not have hot running water in the taps. Do you use warm water from the shower water heater?
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:42 AM

Regular
1,965 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
I wonder if the shaving performance suffers because we here in Malaysia typically do not have hot running water in the taps. Do you use warm water from the shower water heater?
I've tried using warm water b4 when shaving n it did make the skin softer n shaving easier...but its too time consuming plus I don't have much facial hair.
TScarbman
post Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(shark7 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:34 AM)
actually is there anyway to prevent the mostache and beard growing ??

Shave lah.

Added on March 1, 2011, 9:05 am
QUOTE(kotmj @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
I find that prepping the hairs on my face with a hot towel makes a CONSIDERABLE difference. But I leave that for mornings when I'm really free. At the very least, just splash on some hot water some minutes before the shave.

Google "Kyle's Prep".

This post has been edited by carbman: Mar 1 2011, 09:05 AM
gregy
post Mar 1 2011, 08:08 PM

Casual
410 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM)
Shave lah.

Added on March 1, 2011, 9:05 am
I find that prepping the hairs on my face with a hot towel makes a CONSIDERABLE difference. But I leave that for mornings when I'm really free. At the very least, just splash on some hot water some minutes before the shave.

Google "Kyle's Prep".
I think it's not so much about prepping the hairs as it is about opening up the pores with warm water before a shave. A similar effect can be achieved by lathering up with shaving cream and then waiting a few mins for the minty cream to open up the pores prior to shaving.

For me, I always make sure to use a facial cleanser to remove excess oils from my face and to unclog the pores. Thereafter, apply shaving cream then wait 3 mins before shaving. Works every time smile.gif

30 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0325sec    0.64    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th August 2020 - 09:15 PM