Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

niakulah
post Jul 12 2017, 06:37 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(GaryLBV @ Jul 12 2017, 02:03 PM)
Try larry at http://www.whippeddog.com/

OR alternately, you can try getting the TITAN or ZY brand straight razor from Ali Express . Both gets favorable reviews on straight razor forums. I personally own a TITAN. Holds up the edge very well. But over time, you will need to hone it. You can also obtain a honing stone from Ali Express as well. Would recommend at least an 8k grit. If you have extra cash to burn, get the Guangxi stone. This is a natural stone, very forgiving as its a slow cutter. Rumoured to be of 12k grits
Which is the 12k stone? I searched and could only find 2k and 3k.
niakulah
post Jul 19 2017, 02:20 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(GaryLBV @ Jul 19 2017, 01:54 PM)
Search for Guangxi sharpening stone
Still no 12k

Attached Image
niakulah
post Jul 23 2017, 10:31 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Jul 19 2017, 08:41 PM)
Thanks.
niakulah
post Jul 29 2017, 10:56 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(whistler @ Jul 29 2017, 10:38 AM)
Very tempting! Might get it as a backup. USD11+ for a set with a stand and some blades.
niakulah
post Nov 8 2017, 02:08 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(newlyjoined @ Nov 8 2017, 11:41 AM)
Hi guys

With all the stuff one can buy locally and online (through locally sourced shops) I find it surprising that one can't buy such basic thing as a quality DE razor.

So for, say, a merkur 34c, I have to order it online from overseas? No shop I can walk in and grab one?
Basic? These are niche products bro.

It's not like you can find a shop in every town, in the UK for example, that will carry Merkur razors.
niakulah
post Dec 9 2017, 03:25 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

Just received this earlier this week. Ming Shi with stand from Aliexpress that I bought on 11.11 for USD9.87.
Attached Image

Read up on a few different ways to use an adjustable, in the end I'm just sticking to the mildest setting. It takes a lot more passes, but I can get a smooth shave with no skin irritation at all. Zero.

The end result is almost as smooth as my shavette, close enough that probably only I can tell the difference.

Will use it on those mornings when I'm too brain-dead to operate my shavette properly. biggrin.gif

niakulah
post Jan 1 2018, 10:50 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(veron208 @ Jan 1 2018, 09:47 AM)
nice stand u have  there ... which setting you used for your ming shi ? I am using 2.5 now and I definitely need more passes compared to my EJ
Thanks. The mildest. 1 probably? It's nice, I don't feel anything other than the cool metal of the razor head. I don't notice the blade at all.
niakulah
post Jan 1 2018, 07:42 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(veron208 @ Jan 1 2018, 09:47 AM)
nice stand u have  there ... which setting you used for your ming shi ? I am using 2.5 now and I definitely need more passes compared to my EJ
Just checked, I use 0.5 lol
niakulah
post Jan 2 2018, 09:02 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(zellleonhart @ Jan 1 2018, 10:02 PM)
Hi there, I have been using cheapo Gillette vector and now looking for cleaner shave.
After seeing your post I thought of getting this Ming Shi as well.

Just want to know, where do you get the brush and what kind of shaving foam you use? I plan to buy from taobao or aliexpress for the mingshi, just wondering is the brush and special foam necessary (I am using those standard gillette foam now).

And usually how many weeks/months does one blade last? Does the replaceable blade's brand matter?
Pardon for many questions smile.gif
I don't use a brush or foam. I use oil:
QUOTE(niakulah @ Apr 23 2017, 09:03 PM)
Bro

Just a quick experiment before you buy. Try using oil. Just dip 3 fingertips in it and massage it into your face before shaving. Best is argan, grapeseed or virgin coconut oil, but you can try with normal cooking oil if you don't have any of those.

I tried it and never looked back. Currently using a blend of grapeseed oil and virgin coconut oil, mixed with some cedarwood and lemongrass essential oil. Use it to take care of my goatee and my shaving.
Blades are a very subjective. Most people look at mostly how well it shaves, but how long it lasts was also a factor for me when I was choosing what to use. I bought a sample pack from Connaught Shaving:
http://www.connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

I ended up choosing Gillette Silver Blue. To me, it offered a smooth consistent shave even after a few days use, and each blade lasts me a month if I want to. But blades are so cheap I usually change sooner than that. Bought 20 boxes from Connaught Shaving after I made my decision. Don't think I need to buy any blades for the next 10 years at least. thumbsup.gif

Oh and for those who think my maths is a bit off, I primarily use a shavette, which uses half a blade tongue.gif
niakulah
post Apr 25 2018, 08:37 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(zellleonhart @ Apr 25 2018, 07:37 AM)
Hi all, any one ordered from Connaught shaving using normal postage (non trackable one)? Been more than 2 weeks since it got despatched and not yet arrive, is it normal?
Ordered from them twice before using normal post. Both got to me in a bit more than a week.
niakulah
post Sep 16 2018, 03:10 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(mujinkun @ Sep 16 2018, 02:20 PM)
Just for thought,

Do all sifus here use more than 1 type of DE razor(Aggresive, MIld and Medium) per session?

I tried to use Aggressive on 1 pass, then on 2nd and 3rd Pass by using Medium.

Feel great about its.
Did try that when I got my adjustable. In the end I settled for leaving it on the mildest setting. Multiple passes gives me a shave that's more than good enough with zero skin irritation.

When I want it really smooth I use my shavette.
niakulah
post Feb 8 2019, 04:34 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(bakry @ Feb 8 2019, 04:24 PM)
know where i can get the razor and blades at a shop?
have this thing against buying stuff online.

ooo smelly no more is same as the alum salt block?
I second all kk131 has said. But if you insist on buying in a shop, you can try Mydin. They will usually have the cheap Indian razors and blades. Brand is Laser. That's what I started with. Used it until it broke (I dropped it).

This is what it looks like:
https://www.nykaa.com/laser-steel-razor-wit...8657?eq=desktop
niakulah
post Feb 8 2019, 05:23 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(bakry @ Feb 8 2019, 05:06 PM)
sure thing. ya, didnt want to spend a lot for a starter kit
Don't worry, once you catch the bug you'll be itching to buy a better razor and blades in no time.
brows.gif
niakulah
post Feb 8 2019, 05:34 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(bakry @ Feb 8 2019, 05:29 PM)
Need to get first. mydin usj here i come.
eh, when you all say mydin, you meant the mydin hypermarket kan?
Yes that's right.
niakulah
post Jul 4 2019, 10:13 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 8 2019, 04:34 PM)
I second all kk131 has said. But if you insist on buying in a shop, you can try Mydin. They will usually have the cheap Indian razors and blades. Brand is Laser. That's what I started with. Used it until it broke (I dropped it).

This is what it looks like:
https://www.nykaa.com/laser-steel-razor-wit...8657?eq=desktop
QUOTE(siles1991 @ Jul 4 2019, 12:59 AM)
Hey guys, wanna ask, Im one of those guys who can't grow facial hair. Instead it's like short curly pubic hairs growing out of my face and chin, would I benefit from using a safety razor? My friend told me to just pick up one from The Hive. But I don't know where to start on shaving cream and stuff, I see everyone here spending like RM50-60 on cream and another on brush. Is there a more economical way to start?

Currently doing well with those gilette shavers, but was just thinking of trying out something new since the razor packs are cheaper in the long run. I don't have to shave much most of the time.
Mydin has cheap safety razors. Some kedai runcit will have it too. Cream is not strictly necessary. That is the most economical way to start that I know of.
niakulah
post Sep 19 2019, 12:18 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(kkk8787 @ Sep 19 2019, 05:45 AM)
The razor doesnt really affect the closeness of shave but rather the blade right.
The razor does affect the angle of the blade, which some people refer to as the aggressiveness of the razor. There are also adjustable razors.

So it is a factor.
niakulah
post Dec 9 2019, 12:01 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

So my stainless shavette from Connaught Shaving just broke this morning...the rivet holding it together rusted away.

I've just ordered another el cheapo shavette from Aliexpress, which will probably reach me in 1 month+.

Thinking of trying my hand at straight razors. Any recommendations?
niakulah
post Dec 10 2019, 07:02 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Sep 15 2015, 12:18 PM)
Thanks for pointing out Connaught Shaving!

After reading this thread about 2 years back, I ditched my Mach 3 for a cheap "Laser" brand DE razor I got at Mydin. Dirt cheap and smoother shave. Then it fell and broke...

I bought these:
http://connaughtshaving.com/sssr.html
http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html
http://connaughtshaving.com/allumblock.html

All for about RM135 delivered.

Now I am a happy shavette user. Much smoother than my cheap DE razor.

Shavette > Laser DE > Mach3
QUOTE(g3n0c|d3 @ Dec 10 2019, 02:14 AM)
u want the ones with the razor blade slot or the knife ones?

tried the cheap ones that the local indian barber use one (the plastic ones) with Gillette razor (the normal ones i guess). kindda nerve wrecking when doing it urself for the 1st time but if u get the hang of the angle u should be fine. and that cheap razor did just fine.

thats the extend of my knowledge of straight razor. never try the knife ones... looks fun thou but i havent shaved like 4-5 years now so i dont think i'll be seeing any razor on my face soon lol...
Razor blade slot I think means shavette? Like the one I bought in the 2015 post above and just broke yesterday. Well I just ordered another one from Aliexpress.

So I'm looking for the knife one. Technique should be almost the same.

niakulah
post Dec 10 2019, 10:17 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Dec 10 2019, 10:07 PM)
Which brand did you buy? Is it the Parker SKX Stainless Steel one? I thought stainless steel lasts a long time.
No brand one from connaught shaving. They don't sell them anymore.
niakulah
post Dec 11 2019, 09:37 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ Dec 10 2019, 11:40 PM)
I have the Parker SKX shavette which is fully stainless steel. It have been serving me well so far and it’s not that expensive as it’s around USD$20-30 only.
That does look nice and heavy. I didn't take a picture of mine this morning so here's an old post with a pic.
QUOTE(niakulah @ Dec 9 2017, 03:25 PM)
Just received this earlier this week. Ming Shi with stand from Aliexpress that I bought on 11.11 for USD9.87.
Attached Image

Read up on a few different ways to use an adjustable, in the end I'm just sticking to the mildest setting. It takes a lot more passes, but I can get a smooth shave with no skin irritation at all. Zero.

The end result is almost as smooth as my shavette, close enough that probably only I can tell the difference.

Will use it on those mornings when I'm too brain-dead to operate my shavette properly.  biggrin.gif
If the new shavette I said I ordered turns out to be lousy, I might consider the Parker. But right now I'm asking for straight razor recommendations.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0428sec    0.46    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:44 PM