Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
176 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Official Maxis FTTH Thread, Maxis FTTH launched 1st Sep 2010! (Maxis)

views

TStoofriggingslow
post Sep 4 2010, 04:07 PM, updated 10y ago

46 posts

*** UPDATE *** Maxis FTTH SUCKS big time !!! 40Gb quota strictly will be in force even in their 1st month of operation, the speed will be throttled to 10% which is only around 0.6Mb !!! BOYCOTT - don't sign up, cancel your interest registration !!! Let them dig their own grave !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxis FTTH (Fiber-to-the Home) already launched 1st Sept 2010 in Bandar Utama Phase 11 & Phase 12, and I am using it now !

I stay in Bandar Utama Jalan 12/7, on 1st Sept, a team technical crew came to install the new fiber broadband from Maxis.
Another crew of relations officers also dropped by my home, with a hamper of gifts, a video shooting team & a carricature artist.

The installation process does take up quite a long time, as they are all on a sharp learning curve.
At one point, there were more than 10 techincal people from both Maxis & Huawei in my house, doing all the necessary checks.

There are 3 sets of equipments after the installation. A Huawei-Echolife ONT terminal, a Maxis-Thomson RGW residential gateway & a Maxis-Aztech DECT cordless phone.

There is only 1 package on offer at the moment, 6Mbps.
They say later will have upgrade packages from 6Mpbs, up to 24Mbps.

There is no IPTV included in the package, it will be added later, as they are still doing vigorious testing.

The offer price for the 1st batch of early-bird subscribers is RM118 per month, free for the first 2 months, and free installation costs.

The DECT phone also come with free :

i) unlimited calls to a Maxis fixed line number
ii) 500 minutes per month to a Maxis mobile number
iii) 200 minutes per month to United States, Singapore, China or Hong Kong

For time being, I am still not sure about the FUP download limit.
Guess I will find out soon, as I try to use & download stuff.

I believe this Maxis offering will be a strong competition to TM Unifi 5Mbps package of RM149 per month.

I have attached some pictures.

That's all my report for now.. going to enjoy more high-speed broadband now !

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

This post has been edited by toofriggingslow: Oct 9 2010, 11:03 AM
JinXXX
post Sep 4 2010, 04:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

hmm .. very smart of them to use cable tie.. cut cost tongue.gif
skincladalien
post Sep 4 2010, 04:16 PM

Densha Otaku
1,888 posts

hey mind to share how to contact them for installation? my friend at bu 12/4 is very interested

This post has been edited by skincladalien: Sep 4 2010, 04:16 PM
keeting89
post Sep 4 2010, 04:19 PM

=>[email protected] [email protected] W1th0ut [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]<=
1,390 posts

Rm118 only? so cheap, coz for me maxis used to be blood sucker..
i) unlimited calls to a Maxis fixed line number
ii) 500 minutes per month to a Maxis mobile number
iii) 200 minutes per month to United States, Singapore, China or Hong Kong
MaGNiFiCo
post Sep 4 2010, 04:25 PM

weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,587 posts

rm120 per month for 6mbps!! that is blardy cheap man. this definitely gonna be a strong competitor for unifi

this is what we need biggrin.gif
alpayedo
post Sep 4 2010, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

3rd pic is the dp (distribution point) outside your house? they use a big closure and hang it on electric/telephone pole? fyi, the closure they hanged is for underground purpose and not meant as a dp to a house. can't believe maxis provide this kind of installation setup.
equustel
post Sep 4 2010, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

That's neat! I hope this comes to my area (as its telephone service is under Maxis ...).

Regarding FUP, I visited their website and read the FAQ, which has this to say:

11. Will Maxis be implementing quota limit or fair policy usage (FUP) for HIGH SPEED INTERNET?

Yes quota limit will be imposed but you can opt not to be limited for a fee.

This post has been edited by equustel: Sep 4 2010, 05:03 PM
vapeace
post Sep 4 2010, 05:14 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

now we are talking about competitor

hope TM will reduce price whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

based on 3rd pic.. i lol-ed

That is TM telephone pole, imagine both TM FTTH and Maxis FTTH distribution point on the same pole
one cheaper and another expensive or two technician from diff company trying to fix their service on the same pole
now that a view i would like to see laugh.gif

Neptern
post Sep 4 2010, 05:23 PM

Casual
424 posts

Post some speedtest results and more comments on it?

Availability still limited?Price will definitely be a deciding factor and i hope they don't force us to take up iptv like tmnut...

This post has been edited by Neptern: Sep 4 2010, 05:25 PM
MX510
post Sep 4 2010, 06:09 PM

Love Me Sin Hate Me Sinner
3,960 posts

Any fair usage policy?
phantomkid
post Sep 4 2010, 06:11 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(MX510 @ Sep 4 2010, 06:09 PM)
Any fair usage policy?
Would like to know too. Any caps? Like, if there is, how much? And @equustel, for a fee, how much exactly? hmm.gif
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:12 PM

On my way
603 posts

They are using TNB poles?

That's good.Hopefully TNB has plans for the FTTH network to be implemented in Perak since they already have a very extensive fiber network here. Previously they wanted to use these dark fibers for their digital powerline project. We have a lot of new TNb poles sprouting up recently in Ipoh.

If they implement this, then we'll see other isps like Jaring, Maxis and Time coming..
calvin_yit
post Sep 4 2010, 06:40 PM

36 posts

hey.... this looks way better than unifail, price n all. Do they provide the router too?? is it as faulty as the one provided by unifail? Read from unifail thread, the router provided there will kaput under intense load. Finger crossed on coverage n FUP.
billytong
post Sep 4 2010, 06:46 PM

Lord Sauron
4,522 posts

QUOTE(calvin_yit @ Sep 4 2010, 06:40 PM)
hey.... this looks way better than unifail, price n all. Do they provide the router too?? is it as faulty as the one provided by unifail? Read from unifail thread, the router provided there will kaput under intense load. Finger crossed on coverage n FUP.

This is why I set my no of connections to 80 for torrent. Offing the wireless. Never 24/7. Still running fine so far.

This post has been edited by billytong: Sep 4 2010, 06:46 PM
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:48 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(calvin_yit @ Sep 4 2010, 06:40 PM)
Thompson HGW is definitely better than the cheapo Dlink DIR-615.
If other isps want to compete might suggest them supplying 2Wire HGW, Asus, Buffalo or Zyxel.
brian12988
post Sep 4 2010, 06:54 PM

Regular
1,263 posts

QUOTE(alpayedo @ Sep 4 2010, 04:27 PM)
3rd pic is the dp (distribution point) outside your house? they use a big closure and hang it on electric/telephone pole? fyi, the closure they hanged is for underground purpose and not meant as a dp to a house. can't believe maxis provide this kind of installation setup.
it shows that Maxis really dont know how to do things... shakehead.gif

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 05:14 PM)
now we are talking about competitor

hope TM will reduce price whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif

based on 3rd pic.. i lol-ed

That is TM telephone pole, imagine both TM FTTH and Maxis FTTH distribution point on the same pole
one cheaper and another expensive or two technician from diff company trying to fix their service on the same pole
now that a view i would like to see laugh.gif
there are many competitors around..just that the competitors are limited by coverage area.. nod.gif

QUOTE(iipohbee @ Sep 4 2010, 06:48 PM)
Thompson HGW is definitely better than the cheapo Dlink DIR-615.
If other isps want to compete might suggest them supplying 2Wire HGW, Asus, Buffalo or Zyxel.
its not the Dlink is cheapo..is just that TM has placed too much load on it.. doh.gif
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:58 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(brian12988 @ Sep 4 2010, 06:54 PM)
it shows that Maxis really dont know how to do things... shakehead.gif
there are many competitors around..just that the competitors are limited by coverage area.. nod.gif
its not the Dlink is cheapo..is just that TM has placed too much load on it.. doh.gif
Then TM should have supplied something better like the 2Wire or Zyxel HGW.

Too much load means bad planning and decision.
It also means the decision to go with it was made with other factors..

Added on September 4, 2010, 7:00 pmOh and by the way, Maxis supplying cheapo Aztech cordless phone?

Should have went with Ibiden or Siemens.

This post has been edited by iipohbee: Sep 4 2010, 07:00 PM
vapeace
post Sep 4 2010, 07:04 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(iipohbee @ Sep 4 2010, 07:12 PM)
They are using TNB poles?

That's good.Hopefully TNB has plans for the FTTH network to be implemented in Perak since they already have a very extensive fiber network here. Previously they wanted to use these dark fibers for their digital powerline project. We have a lot of new TNb poles sprouting up recently in Ipoh.

If they implement this, then we'll see other isps like Jaring, Maxis and Time coming..
u do know TNB pole dont have no steel step for the worker to climb
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 07:06 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 07:04 PM)
u do know TNB pole dont have no steel step for the worker to climb
You know they usually bring those cranes along to lift their technicians up to pull the cables.
Good security measure as you don't want monkeys climbing those poles to get their hands on those cables..

vapeace
post Sep 4 2010, 07:06 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(iipohbee @ Sep 4 2010, 07:58 PM)
Then TM should have supplied something better like the 2Wire or Zyxel HGW.

Too much load means bad planning and decision.
It also means the decision to go with it was made with other factors..

Added on September 4, 2010, 7:00 pmOh and by the way, Maxis supplying cheapo Aztech cordless phone?

Should have went with Ibiden or Siemens.
if u can get a tender that offer u a lower price per-unit router than other brand ! u will take the cheaper or more expensive ?
but some how unit supplied to TM is below standard quality

my dlink lasted 5 years no problem, and my DIR-615 already run for 2 years without problem also unsure.gif

Added on September 4, 2010, 7:07 pm
QUOTE(iipohbee @ Sep 4 2010, 08:06 PM)
You know they usually bring those cranes along to lift their technicians up to pull the cables.
Good security measure as you don't want monkeys climbing those poles to get their hands on those cables..
well TM fail by providing easy access for stealer

This post has been edited by vapeace: Sep 4 2010, 07:07 PM

176 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0297sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th January 2021 - 06:22 AM