Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis The Official Maxis FTTH Thread, Maxis FTTH launched 1st Sep 2010!

views

iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:12 PM

On my way
603 posts

They are using TNB poles?

That's good.Hopefully TNB has plans for the FTTH network to be implemented in Perak since they already have a very extensive fiber network here. Previously they wanted to use these dark fibers for their digital powerline project. We have a lot of new TNb poles sprouting up recently in Ipoh.

If they implement this, then we'll see other isps like Jaring, Maxis and Time coming..
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:48 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(calvin_yit @ Sep 4 2010, 06:40 PM)
hey.... this looks way better than unifail, price n all. Do they provide the router too?? is it as faulty as the one provided by unifail? Read from unifail thread, the router provided there will kaput under intense load. Finger crossed on coverage n FUP.
Thompson HGW is definitely better than the cheapo Dlink DIR-615.
If other isps want to compete might suggest them supplying 2Wire HGW, Asus, Buffalo or Zyxel.
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 06:58 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(brian12988 @ Sep 4 2010, 06:54 PM)
it shows that Maxis really dont know how to do things... shakehead.gif
there are many competitors around..just that the competitors are limited by coverage area.. nod.gif
its not the Dlink is cheapo..is just that TM has placed too much load on it.. doh.gif
Then TM should have supplied something better like the 2Wire or Zyxel HGW.

Too much load means bad planning and decision.
It also means the decision to go with it was made with other factors..

Added on September 4, 2010, 7:00 pmOh and by the way, Maxis supplying cheapo Aztech cordless phone?

Should have went with Ibiden or Siemens.

This post has been edited by iipohbee: Sep 4 2010, 07:00 PM
iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 07:06 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 07:04 PM)
u do know TNB pole dont have no steel step for the worker to climb
You know they usually bring those cranes along to lift their technicians up to pull the cables.
Good security measure as you don't want monkeys climbing those poles to get their hands on those cables..

iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 07:09 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 07:06 PM)
if u can get a tender that offer u a lower price per-unit router than other brand ! u will take the cheaper or more expensive ?
but some how unit supplied to TM is below standard quality

my dlink lasted 5 years no problem, and my DIR-615 already run for 2 years without problem also unsure.gif

Added on September 4, 2010, 7:07 pm

well TM fail by providing easy access for stealer
Didn't they do trials before deciding to use the Dlink routers?
How can they say it's not capable to take the load?
Which also means someone is sleeping on the job or not doing their testing/trials work properly.

iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 07:22 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 07:14 PM)
they under gomen pressure to deploy HSBB as soon as possible, plus tender by dlink is not bad. Most ppl have the impression dlink is a good brand, so they might assume it good too laugh.gif

sometime it hard to say also, for example, if u work in an engineering company, you order this specific grade concrete, when they sent sample you test, it meet requirement.. but when sent to actual work site.. the concrete is below requirement

but actually, FTTH is not needed actually ADSL2+ support 24Mbbps speed, installer once tested my line. he open until 15Mbps and tested before cappped me at 5mbps for my streamyx combo 4mbps. Should have asked him leave it tongue.gif 
streamyx 4mbps maximun is a myth, it can go higher but due to TM hardware limitation and old wiring, maximum it can achieve also is 10Mbps or so
Dlink and Zyxel are both renowned brands from Taiwan.

But their incumbent telco in Taiwan, Chunghwa Telecom awarded their high speed fiber network VDSL2 modem supply contract to Zyxel instead.
Goes to show Zyxel is better than Dlink.

iipohbee
post Sep 4 2010, 07:29 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(vapeace @ Sep 4 2010, 07:14 PM)
they under gomen pressure to deploy HSBB as soon as possible, plus tender by dlink is not bad. Most ppl have the impression dlink is a good brand, so they might assume it good too laugh.gif

sometime it hard to say also, for example, if u work in an engineering company, you order this specific grade concrete, when they sent sample you test, it meet requirement.. but when sent to actual work site.. the concrete is below requirement

but actually, FTTH is not needed actually ADSL2+ support 24Mbbps speed, installer once tested my line. he open until 15Mbps and tested before cappped me at 5mbps for my streamyx combo 4mbps. Should have asked him leave it tongue.gif 
streamyx 4mbps maximun is a myth, it can go higher but due to TM hardware limitation and old wiring, maximum it can achieve also is 10Mbps or so
I did mentioned that before. A good ADSL2+ line could still deliver up to 20mbps without much problem and given that we already have a matured ADSL2+ modem market here.You can buy so many brands out there.

Also posted a 10mbps ADSL2+ video speed test from Thailand which beats the crap out of Unifi when it comes to international connections.

^^ Look at Thailand's latest FTTH speedtest.

iipohbee
post Sep 7 2010, 10:56 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(archonixm @ Sep 7 2010, 04:38 PM)
Maxis usually will only served high profit/expatriate area, dont think Ipoh will be serve at all....still need to wait for Unifi........lol
YTL Pakatan township at Bercham is served by Maxis ADSL.

Fiber optics is an entirely different infrastructure built. We have Maxis fiber already running at most areas at Pasir Putih(little blue color signs you see beside the road).

If TNB is willing to lease out their poles, then any isp can come to Ipoh and provide their FTTH service including Time/Jaring or Maxis.

I don't put much hope on TM after going through these few months with their 4mbps service.
Almost unusable because I can't seem to get what I paid for when I use it.

Added on September 7, 2010, 11:18 pm
QUOTE(toofriggingslow @ Sep 4 2010, 04:07 PM)
Maxis FTTH (Fiber-to-the Home) already launched 1st Sept 2010 in Bandar Utama Phase 11 & Phase 12, and I am using it now !

I stay in Bandar Utama Jalan 12/7, on 1st Sept, a team technical crew came to install the new fiber broadband from Maxis.
Another crew of relations officers also dropped by my home, with a hamper of gifts, a video shooting team & a carricature artist.
Hi TS, any ideas whether your Maxis FTTH service uses VLAN tagging?

IF they are not then it's good news as you might be able to use any broadband routers/home gateways with it to share your connection.

Hope Maxis will be using RF overlay in future to deliver their ASTRO services instead of using the data bandwidth and virtual circuits.

This post has been edited by iipohbee: Sep 7 2010, 11:18 PM
iipohbee
post Sep 10 2010, 01:50 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(paultantk @ Sep 8 2010, 02:55 PM)
Maxis is already testing Astro delivery over their FTTH in Mont Kiara, but im not sure whether its data or RF overlay as you mentioned.
What is RF overlay?

GPON allows RF signals to be sent over fiber simultaneously in addition to data.
Meaning, satellite dishes will soon be replaced and the same signals sent via satellite can be sent over your fiber cable at the same time as your internet.

This service requires a more advanced GPON ONU called a V-ONU which splits the signals at the customer end to 2 different medium type.
- Ethernet port and a RF port(similar to the coaxial cable used for your current ASTRO setup except for the big ugly pizza dish.

Your internet speed will operate entirely on a different signals without affecting the tv signals at all just like how your phone service operates with ADSL.
Calls are uninterrupted while surfing the net.
RF overlay allows uninterrupted cable/satellite tv signals to be send over fiber plus your internet.
iipohbee
post Oct 6 2010, 07:38 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(solarmystic @ Oct 6 2010, 05:04 PM)
Wow only 10% of the total speed after after capped, and DMZ and forwarding's a b****....

I know Maxis wanted to bury its own grave for this service VS TMNUT's UNIFI but i had no idea....

Draconian caps FTL...
Maxis is famous for speed caps or they'll drain you dry as soon as you exceed your caps.
iipohbee
post Oct 9 2010, 05:29 PM

On my way
603 posts

Good luck with your 40Gb caps per month for the next 24 months of contract tied up.

Now RM108 for a symmetrical 6mbps seems too questionable right?

With so much bandwidth TM is already struggling so hard to keep up with their growing Streamyx and Unifi customers.Let alone Maxis?

iipohbee
post Dec 17 2010, 11:39 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(toofriggingslow @ Dec 16 2010, 11:24 PM)
Looks like another big thumbs-down for Maxis FTTH in BU11 & BU12 !

Totally gave up on Maxis FTTH last month.  Now use back the normal 1Mbps fixed line. From what I gather, the ridiculous 40Gb quota for the whole month is still being enforced. How pathetic !

Anyone here knows how the HSBB arrangement with TM Unifi announced yesterday will affect or impact Maxis FTTH services that have started in BU11 & BU12?

Now I am very doubtful about anything Maxis...
Later maybe Maxis would open up their FTTH lines to other isps such as Unifail, Jaring or Time?
iipohbee
post Feb 27 2011, 09:44 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(aricat @ Feb 27 2011, 04:11 AM)
It's sad there seems to be no improvement still about this...

I hoped it was bad enough on the reception of this service for them to change, but it seems their strategy have changed since a lot of ppl have been requesting for termination and waived from liable penalty... So they're being an ass now about termination, or at least force you to pay something to cover their losses... hmmmmm

Anyway, on question about public IP, few pages back I did share some information on it :-
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=36874680

Sadly nothing can be done even if you manage to access the ONT, because the ONT is controlled centrally by their system, and I think they have a scheduled 'push' of instructions to your huawei ONT each day, so all changes you've done will be reset. And furthermore, you can never set to change your ONT having a public IP. Dealing with the ONT is something new, which needs qualified personnel to deal with it's settings, but if you're feeling adventurous, there is a device document available in Chinese :-
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/c6c46f69a45177232f60a2f5.html

I only managed to get into the device but felt it's too much work to figure out it's language via telnet or that I don't have sufficient access to do anything to it.... The way how to access it was:-
- Configure a static IP on your computer : 192.168.100.3
- Other settings can be left as is...

- Plug your computer directly behind the ports on Huawei device (any will do)
- Access UI through webpage http://192.168.100.1
- Username : telecomadmin
- Password : admintelecom

It all seems to be a stupid architecture to me... and also one of the show stopper for me... I want a public IP, it's "MY" line, I'll settle with cybercafes if I'm OK with shared lines. On answers to the 'what's my ip' test, your result will show differently each time you reload the page, it's an alternating proxy (whichever proxy with the lower load will handle your page). And there should be a maximum of 6-7 proxies from what I know last time. So basically if there are more than 7 ppl in the whole maxis FTTH going for filesharing sites (megaupload, hotfile etc), you will always get the "Your IP have exceeded the bandwidth for the day". So daily, you'll have to hope that you're one of those 7 lucky ppl to grab that line.

Anyway, I am glad I managed to hop off this and gone back to normal ADSL.
But another thing upon termination, they sent me another bill at RM400++ in which all my VoIP calls are charged as conventional phone charges... lol Complained to them and ended up their system fault and I was only supposed to pay RM40++

Whoever running this Maxis FTTH project needs to take up more project management skills and qualification. Service is failing (and still failing) in all areas.
Does this means that Maxis High Speed FTTH Pilot project failed already? biggrin.gif

iipohbee
post Nov 9 2011, 09:11 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(numbertwo @ Nov 8 2011, 11:45 AM)
only + for Maxis FTTH compares to Unifi so far i have noticed is the ping time from speedtest.net, Maxis is faster by 20-30ms by testing several locations (MY, SG, HK, etc.)
How about the speed degradation factor during the whole AAG Cable downtime all these while?

Any difference noticed?
iipohbee
post Nov 9 2011, 10:13 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(numbertwo @ Nov 9 2011, 09:40 PM)
sorry i wasn't aware of any downtime at my home's maxis ftth..so unable to compare.
Latest news published in local newspaper's finance section mentioned about maxis's outlook in the ftth market sector.  Apparently, the ftth sales promotion isn't attacting enough... The 'cap' is lifted but only till the end of the year, and that will surely be losing out to its nearest competitors(u can guess who of course) who have yet to announce when the 'cap' will be turned on.  Hence, overall not a very bright outlook to 6012.KL in the next quarter or so...
Apart from leasing Unifi's infrastructure, Maxis has their own FTTH network in progress.

In general, Maxis provides better equipment and support overall.

Both uptime and service quality are also considered more professional.
iipohbee
post Nov 17 2011, 02:19 PM

On my way
603 posts

There's little complain about Maxis ADSL on Lowyat. Almost none except for the NAT issue.

Downtime is almost non existent unless there's a major fault and excellent technical support which adheres to the 2 weeks resolution when reporting faults.

Their technicians and engineers are more dedicated and take complains seriously on network faults.

Those who dealt with their provisioning and network team would know how big the difference is between Maxis and TM.
iipohbee
post Nov 21 2011, 09:58 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(numbertwo @ Nov 21 2011, 11:26 AM)
if you need port-forwarding in your ps3, you may have problem then.. Maxis is generally giving out private IP and based on forummer's past experience you can't do port-forwarding in maxis router..
There's a supposed work around for it already posted in the Official US PS3 Community Boards.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread...tart=0&tstart=0

You need to do proper port forwarding in the router and set a static IP for your PS3.
iipohbee
post Nov 22 2011, 01:49 PM

On my way
603 posts

Maxis actually takes the extra mile of providing security to its subscribers by providing 2 logins to its users.

By default, they put you under private IP to hide normal users from security threats and advanced users who wish to get public IP can login with an alternative ID.

This simply can be accomplished by changing from:
xxxx@home.maxis.com.my to xxxx@public.maxis.com.my

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2044550

Does other ISPs make the effort to provide managed firewall as value added feature to subscribers?
iipohbee
post Nov 22 2011, 02:20 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(numbertwo @ Nov 22 2011, 02:08 PM)
This is not a known 'extra security', this tips must have been found out by a fellow forummer...  Usual subscribers have to call, ask, and perhaps begging, to get a private IP..
It is extra security. NTT Japan had this featured in their NGN some 2-3 years back.

When subscribers are put under private IP, they are shielded from attacks. Some sort of managed firewall by the ISP.

They gave the option to those who knew what they're doing to bypass it.

Good idea.
iipohbee
post Jan 21 2012, 05:44 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Sabunist @ Jan 20 2012, 04:32 AM)
Maxis just announced unlimited quota extended until further notice
Just as predicted!

All the ISPs will extend the unlimited quota till they achieve their target of installs. rclxms.gif

Reason is to be able to sell more lines further.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0930sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:16 PM