7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Bad Experience with renovation contractor :( Renovations

views

zzzxtreme
post Jan 6 2012, 12:10 PM

Synth Freak
4,282 posts

in 19XX, I've had bad experience with ZZZ on the issue of ABC. ZZZ's number is YYY. It _____ when It should be _______
bestsane
post Jun 27 2012, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

I would like to share my bad experience with this contractor recommended in this forum, named David Chow Yong Ee, from BELLWAY HOMES, based in Jalan PU 2/5, Puchong, Selangor. First of all, I'm not blaming you (if you are a real customer of his). Maybe he did a good job on you, but in my case, if anybody who reads this wants me to sum up him in one word, it would be IRRESPONSIBLE. I'm not being ill-hated or malicious by writing this statement, I'm just using my consumer power to stop irresponsible, reckless, unreliable and bogus contractor from having a place in our world.

So, let me tell a real, true story, experienced first hand by myself as an owner of my house and as his customer.

I just moved into a 20x60 house. Not that big. I wanted all my parquets in my house to be replaced with tiles. So I called him up some time in April 2012, and the rate he agreed to give me was RM4.50/sqft. Based on 557 sqft, the charge was RM2,500. On top of that, I would like the floor tiles of my 2 bathrooms (much less than 200 sqft) to be replaced with new tiles. The charge was RM1,600, inclusive of installation of water basin and toilet bowl. All the charges include workmanship, but excluding tiles, water basin and toilet bowl, which I wanted to buy on my own.

Before his guys started working, he (David Chow) told me that the work could be finished in 1 week. Of course I don't trust any word from a person I barely know, so I predicted it could be in between 7-8 days to complete. The work was done by two (2) Indonesians from Jawa Timur, not David. I suspected they are just 19 or 20 or even younger. The work was done every day by those 2 guys, except 2 or 3 days when only 1 worker (named Amin from Sulawesi) did the job. The reason was the 2 guys who were supposed to do the job were not fed by their employers. I was told by them sometimes they were not even paid. So I believe they retaliated by not coming to work. Fortunately I didn't just sit there and let them starve. How do you expect 2 guys not properly taken care of do their work?

After 8 days passed by, the work was still not completed. I called up this David guy every day, and every time we engaged in a conversation, he assured me that the work can be completed today. Today and today and today for the next 4 days. Obviously this young guy didn't know what he was talking about. The work was completed on the 13th day.

Regarding the quality of the work, I would rate 5 in a scale of 1 to 10. After the work was completed, they were still small holes between two tiles. So I asked them to put cement (or whatever it is called). OK, the job was done. But now, the holes seem to reappear again. So I guess the workmanship is not that good, flawed to its best. Not to mention that now they are hairline cracks on the skirting of the wall that they put up.

The most pathetic part is this. After installing the toilet bowl, the water flow to the manhole seemed to be clogged. So the Amin guy took it out, scooped the things he could find in the pipe with his bare hands and found some algae, and re-install the toilet bowl again. It seemed it was OK after several flushings. About less than a month later, the toilet bowl began to clogged up again. Water can be seen exiting through the base of the bowl (the one that connects the bowl and the floor) when it was flushed. Water also rose up when it was flushed. I suspected it was clogged again. Note that the toilet is a guest toilet, which was rarely used. So no toilet paper or anything similar get disposed of into the bowl. So, I called up this David guy. To my surprise, HE REFUSED TO LOOK INTO IT because the Amin guy had de-clogged the toilet before. OK, fine, at that moment I promised that I will do everything in my power to tell the world what kind of a contractor he really is.

Then, I called up my old contractor who renovated my house previously. He came eventually, and looked into that. He took out the bowl, used his designated pole (not with his bare hands) to check whether it is clogged or not. IT WASN'T CLOGGED. The reason why water came out through the base of the bowl is there was not enough mixture of cement put at the base of the bowl. In other words, IT WAS THIS DAVID'S DOING ALL ALONG. Now the toilet is doing just fine.

So, a very valuable lesson learned. My advice is don't ever ever appoint a young, inexperience young contractor like David Chow Yong Ee. I don't think he has ever done any hands-on work related to construction. He only came to my house 2-3 times in about 30 minutes each time to supervise his workers, whereas my previous contractor, Mr. Tan did the work himself with his workers. If you want Mr. Tan's contact number, please PM me.
addisontan
post Jul 11 2012, 02:16 PM

12 posts

You may contact this person to get a free quotation and consultation as he done my house reno previously and also offers a very gud price.
Mr Tan 016-231.1116
e:swiberg.info@gmail.com
ginming
post Jul 11 2012, 05:21 PM

23 posts

hi All, am planing to do my house renovation as well. From time to time am reading this forum, i have actually compiled the bad contractor's names as below. That are topics that i have read through, but of coz a lot topic i haven read yet. These are what i have compiled but not all.

David Chow Yong Ee, from BELLWAY HOMES, based in Jalan PU 2/5, Puchong, Selangor

Fong Wai Yip from Fong Brother Design & Renovation. His number is 010-339 9934 & 017-222 7144 from Tmn Sri Ampang.

HOUZ DEPOT

Toh (Ah Meng)

Zakaria from Puchong HP 0123537084

Y & H renovation - Chua

Ananth from Hygeia Rising Tech address PUJ 5 in Puncak Jalil

SengHuat roof repair and plumbing services

ong1987
post Jul 11 2012, 09:33 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

i got my bad experienced with this contractor as well Meng FXX Renovation.....He superb superb cheap and drag me in trouble for delay moving in! Call him no answer, finally i urge him out from my u nit and blacklisted in my condo!
Astarguy
post Jul 12 2012, 12:26 PM

46 posts

From the cases above i would sum up that when u pay cheap u get cheap workmanship from any contractor. So any renovation works should be reasonably priced. If you wanna renovate your house please get at least 5 quotation from the contractor and study them carefully. The more detail the quotation is the more you know about that contractor.
xerox1234
post Jul 12 2012, 05:17 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(Astarguy @ Jul 12 2012, 12:26 PM)
From the cases above i would sum up that when u pay cheap u get cheap workmanship from any contractor. So any renovation works should be reasonably priced. If you wanna renovate your house please get at least 5 quotation from the contractor and study them carefully. The more detail the quotation is the more you know about that contractor.
This is not right. The price is the market price and reasonable but still the contractor run away, delay the job with lame excuses and so on. I can said 90% of them have the same behavior.... They cant take so much work at the same time but they afraid no work for them. In the end, problem occur ... delay work, empty promises ...
khieni
post Jul 12 2012, 05:46 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 12 2012, 05:17 PM)
This is not right. The price is the market price and reasonable but still the contractor run away, delay the job with lame excuses and so on. I can said 90% of them have the same behavior.... They cant take so much work at the same time but they afraid no work for them. In the end, problem occur ... delay work, empty promises ...
after reading so many bad experiences....currently i m doing renovation at my house,hopefully mine is ok...
tomjason
post Jul 13 2012, 10:25 AM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 12 2012, 05:17 PM)
yes you are right....90% of them are the same...they all tamak...all project they want at the end cannot finish...i know one genuine contractor....building my neighbour house big house Rm400K++..and i found out the contractor is my friend friend..he is very good...he is not tamak cause he is religous man...he only take on job only at one time.....after finish this job..later move on to other job...everyday he is at side and most of the time he also work with his worker..he will at site from 8-5 pm...i always keep his number..in case someone one to do reno...nearly every saturday i go there chat with him....beside with my experice on my reno house..i also learn a lot from him..thank to him...he is genuine contractor....
VoteForPedro
post Jul 13 2012, 10:55 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(tomjason @ Jul 13 2012, 10:25 AM)
yes you are right....90% of them are the same...they all tamak...all project they want at the end cannot finish...i know one genuine contractor....building my neighbour house big house Rm400K++..and i found out the contractor is my friend friend..he is very good...he is not tamak cause he is religous man...he only take on job only at one time.....after finish this job..later move on to other job...everyday he is at side and most of the time he also work with his worker..he will at site from 8-5 pm...i always keep his number..in case someone one to do reno...nearly every saturday i go there chat with him....beside with my experice on my reno house..i also learn a lot from him..thank to him...he is genuine contractor....
appreciate if u can PM me the contractor's number. thanks..

silversuave
post Jul 13 2012, 10:57 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

Can you pm me the contractor number please? I'm having trouble finding a genuine contractor as well. So far met with 6 contractors, all prices macam escalated and none provided detailed quotation
Thank you bro
xerox1234
post Jul 13 2012, 10:58 AM

Casual
334 posts

My contractor really ran away and his brother promise to continue the work for him, heard his brother is a responsible person but in the end same case, ignore my call, not willing to pick up my call. Now I have to engage the indon workers to finish my work. I am thinking to give flyer to all the residents at his new site. Hopefully they are aware of these Liar contractor.

Note: I got the info from one the glass supplier about his new project.

tomjason
post Jul 13 2012, 11:23 AM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:58 AM)
My contractor really ran away and his brother promise to continue the work for him, heard his brother is a responsible person but in the end same case, ignore my call, not willing to pick up my call. Now I have to engage the indon workers to finish my work. I am thinking to give flyer to all the residents at his new site. Hopefully they are aware of these Liar contractor.

yaa...about your contractor his brither must be the same cause from the same family...difficult to find genuine contractors nowadays..everybody claim he is contractor but sometime cangkul pun never pegang and tamak somemore...

to story more about this genuine contractor that i telling before that building my new soon to be neighbour...he is 'tabligh' fellow (in malay he consider religious man)...he DO NOT own mercedes nor big 4 wheel drive ..he just use normal car...my newly soon to be neigbour is consider cerewet fellow and consider sombong cause never tegur me..he think he rich.....change there change there when reno but do want tambah harga..but this contractor very sabar...at the end of the day..this contractor told me after 99% completed....he told me he rugi with my neighbour....just cukup makan aje...but he never ran away..he slowly negotiate with the my neighbour to top sikit for him to finish job... at last my soon to be neighbour gave him about RM15K out of total RM400 ++....susah mau cari this kind good of contractor.... i learn a lot from him...to add on ...he also learn a lot from me smile.gif ....for matter that he do no know cause i like to do research on reno...his name is Joha. Previously i advised Joha..he will rugi the way the owner style to change here and there...he told me..he pity the owner..... He use all approved material such all BS steel etc...if i got time i will post my neighbour house so so big double 1/2 storey bungalow for only if i can remember from Joha cost RM397 +RM15 = RM412 K.
i don t believe such big house cost RM412K only.

who want that contractor number just PM me.

to story more..i regret do not take him as my contractor...he did my neighbour house 2 months earlier from my house...i also ask his quotation for my house...and at last did big mistake to hire the con contractor Zakaria.

TQ

This post has been edited by tomjason: Jul 13 2012, 12:09 PM
xerox1234
post Jul 13 2012, 01:31 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(tomjason @ Jul 13 2012, 11:23 AM)
yaa...about your contractor his brither must be the same cause from the same family...difficult to find genuine contractors nowadays..everybody claim he is contractor but sometime cangkul pun never pegang and tamak somemore...
to story more about this genuine contractor that i telling before that building my new soon to be neighbour...he is 'tabligh' fellow (in malay he consider religious man)...he DO NOT own mercedes nor big 4 wheel drive ..he just use normal car...my newly soon to be neigbour is consider cerewet fellow and consider sombong cause never tegur me..he think he rich.....change there change there when reno but do want tambah harga..but this contractor very sabar...at the end of the day..this contractor told me after 99% completed....he told me he rugi with my neighbour....just cukup makan aje...but he never ran away..he slowly negotiate with the my neighbour to top sikit for him to finish job... at last my soon to be neighbour gave him about RM15K out of total RM400 ++....susah mau cari this kind good of contractor.... i learn a lot from him...to add on ...he also learn a lot from me  smile.gif ....for matter that he do no know cause i like to do research on reno...his name is Joha. Previously i advised Joha..he will rugi the way the owner style to change here and there...he told me..he pity the owner..... He use all approved material such all BS steel etc...if i got time i will post my neighbour house so so big double 1/2 storey bungalow for only if i can remember from Joha cost RM397 +RM15 = RM412 K.
i don t believe such big house cost RM412K only.

who want that contractor number just PM me.

to story more..i regret do not take him as my contractor...he did my neighbour house 2 months earlier from my house...i also ask his quotation for my house...and at last did big mistake to hire the con contractor Zakaria.
TQ
Bro, might to provide me Joha contact?
tomjason
post Jul 13 2012, 02:48 PM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 13 2012, 01:31 PM)
Bro, might to provide me Joha contact?
Hi Bro,

I hardly recommend to house owner but you can call him dissussed..normally he will finish one job first then move to new job...i give you 2 number one is Joha another is Bibit (his is indon but already got PR, he used to be worker but now he is own contractor, he just finished built his own bungalow at sg buloh.. biggrin.gif ...fo Bibit he take all job simulatneously....)...i got a few numbers but now i give you 2 only..

1. Joha 0133681704
2. Bibit 0123126782

both are genuine cause he himself do the work.

This post has been edited by tomjason: Jul 13 2012, 02:59 PM
xerox1234
post Jul 13 2012, 03:01 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(tomjason @ Jul 13 2012, 02:48 PM)
Hi Bro,

I hardly recommend to house owner but you can call him dissussed..normally he will finish one job first then move to new job...i give you 2 number one is Joha another is Bibit (his is indon but already got PR, he used to be worker but now he is own contractor, he just finished built his own bungalow at sg buloh..  biggrin.gif ...fo Bibit he take all job simulatneously....)...i got a few numbers but now i give you 2 only..

1. Joha 0133681704
2. Bibit 0123126782

both are genuine cause he himself do the work.
Thanks bro, I just need someone that can help me to finish the remaining reno without headache.
tomjason
post Jul 13 2012, 03:07 PM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 13 2012, 03:01 PM)
Thanks bro, I just need someone that can help me to finish the remaining reno without headache.
how about the indon worker i gave you before..has you called him??

by the way bro.. forgot to mention the Bibit i gave you he normally refuse to sambung other contractor job cause he afraid that you previous contractor will serang him...but you can try call him...maybe he want...

bro,

do you notice or not..in this forum there are so many contractors or they claim they are contractors but i hardly/never see his work??..or i hardly/never see his personal advised???..or i hardly/never see they answer to house owner how they resolved the problem...??...i hardly/never see their tips...i hardly/never see his expertise.....i m very suspicious they are genuine or they just claim himself contractor but never pegang cangkul.... biggrin.gif...i rest my case.... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by tomjason: Jul 13 2012, 03:38 PM
ozak
post Jul 13 2012, 03:40 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Yeah alot lately come and advetise than cabut.
tomjason
post Jul 13 2012, 04:10 PM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jul 13 2012, 03:40 PM)
Yeah alot lately come and advetise than cabut.
some more i have found out they used picture from internet claim his ID work and some one in the forum busted / reveal with the link...i cant remember the thread..
craftsnknots
post Jul 13 2012, 05:01 PM

On my way
577 posts

QUOTE(xerox1234 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:58 AM)

If you know whr his new project is, why dont you go there and look for him instead of just calling? Can also make a scene there haha

Added on July 13, 2012, 5:18 pm
QUOTE(tomjason @ Jul 13 2012, 04:07 PM)
how about the indon worker i gave you before..has you called him??

by the way bro.. forgot to mention the Bibit i gave you he normally refuse to sambung other contractor job cause he afraid that you previous contractor will serang him...but you can try call him...maybe he want...
bro,

do you notice or not..in this forum there are so many contractors or they claim they are contractors but i hardly/never see his work??..or i hardly/never see his personal advised???..or i hardly/never see they answer to house owner how they resolved the problem...??...i hardly/never see their tips...i hardly/never see his expertise.....i m very suspicious they are genuine or they just claim himself contractor but never pegang cangkul.... biggrin.gif...i rest my case.... biggrin.gif
Come to think of this, it's true. They dont response to any technical question or any question regarding the work unless people ask for quotations, then they just reply 'PM-ed''PM-ed''PM-ed''PM-ed'

This post has been edited by craftsnknots: Jul 13 2012, 05:18 PM

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.38    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:21 PM