Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Local Maxis iPhone Blocked?

views

PeeEl
post Apr 23 2009, 03:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,604 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Apr 23 2009, 02:51 PM)
Stop giving claims. The phone itself is from Singapore (notice the same model number and such , so its from singapore)

I believe in Malaysia , there is no enforcement of blocked IMEI numbers *yet*. So Maxis can't just simply bar the iPhone

Do read up our local telecommunication law. We don't do phone locking , there is no way on earth maxis could just simply lock it. So stop with your false claims and such. Maxis has no control of the iPhone , they just control the SIM services
For all our sake, I hope you are right.

But your last statement may not be entirely correct. What if I lost my phone, be it a NK, SE or an iPhone and I report to Maxis and request them to block the unit, they would do it, won't they? Anyway, we digress!

Let's hope that nothing unpleasant will befall on Maxis iPhone owners.
prasys
post Apr 23 2009, 03:09 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(PeeEl @ Apr 23 2009, 03:04 PM)
For all our sake, I hope you are right.

But your last statement may not be entirely correct. What if I lost my phone, be it a NK, SE or an iPhone and I report to Maxis and request them to block the unit, they would do it, won't they? Anyway, we digress!

Let's hope that nothing unpleasant will befall on Maxis iPhone owners.
They'll just block the SIM. AFAIK , you could even use stolen phones here. I've a friend who lost his phone , called up Celcom care and reported. They just did block the SIM card only and not the phone. He even gave them the IMEI number , but the customer care service said that it wasn't possible. The most that our local carriers/mobile service providers can do is just block your SIM - that's about it

http://www.skmm.gov.my/the_law/legislation.asp

I do hope that MCMC or someone comes up with the whole IMEI blocking thingy , whereby there is a central authority. Suppose if a phone is stolen , we can report and its blocked. It prevents people from selling the phone as it would render it useless tongue.gif

rx330
post Apr 23 2009, 03:25 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

prasys, i main with a maxis set at the maxis counter b4, the model number, differnt from my singtel set
PeeEl
post Apr 23 2009, 03:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,604 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Apr 23 2009, 03:09 PM)
They'll just block the SIM. AFAIK , you could even use stolen phones here. I've a friend who lost his phone , called up Celcom care and reported. They just did block the SIM card only and not the phone. He even gave them the IMEI number , but  the customer care service said that it wasn't possible. The most that our local carriers/mobile service providers can do is just block your SIM - that's about it

I do hope that MCMC or someone comes up with the whole IMEI blocking thingy , whereby there is a central authority. Suppose if a phone is stolen , we can report and its blocked. It prevents people from selling the phone as it would render it useless tongue.gif
If that's the case, the sky is now clear.....I mean for the subject we have been broaching. None of the Maxis iPhone 'after-market' owners need to be concerned. Cheers.
nokia2003
post Apr 23 2009, 03:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,786 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:25 PM)
prasys, i main with a maxis set at the maxis counter b4, the model number, differnt from my singtel set
oh yeah, the units provided by maxis for training/exhibition purposes, do not carry the same model/product number.

i have highlighted that fact before on the maxis launching thread.
rx330
post Apr 23 2009, 03:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

nokia, but the rests of the end users sets are?
nokia2003
post Apr 23 2009, 03:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,786 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:32 PM)
nokia, but the rests of the end users sets are?
they ought to be, to conform with the list on the apple website.

anyway these so-called training/exhibition units, typically have pre-loaded games. songs, contacts, videos et cetera for very obvious reasons.
sugen
post Apr 23 2009, 03:36 PM

Regular
1,357 posts

If that is true.. Then the TS is facing what kind of problem? I believe we ppl here are very interest to know the root cause of the problem... As far as we know, worst come to worst. We just do the DFU restore.. Everything will solve... TS are u still there?

QUOTE(prasys @ Apr 23 2009, 03:09 PM)
They'll just block the SIM. AFAIK , you could even use stolen phones here. I've a friend who lost his phone , called up Celcom care and reported. They just did block the SIM card only and not the phone. He even gave them the IMEI number , but  the customer care service said that it wasn't possible. The most that our local carriers/mobile service providers can do is just block your SIM - that's about it

This post has been edited by sugen: Apr 23 2009, 03:36 PM
yewjin
post Apr 23 2009, 04:26 PM

Casual
356 posts

Maxis officially launched iPhone on the 21st of March. My bill came on the 17th of this month. How can Maxis barred a phone for non payment if it is only 1 month. So it has to be something else.

This post has been edited by yewjin: Apr 23 2009, 04:27 PM
cpyew
post Apr 23 2009, 04:30 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

QUOTE(yewjin @ Apr 23 2009, 04:26 PM)
Maxis officially launched iPhone on the 21st of March. My bill came on the 17th of this month. How can Maxis barred a phone for non payment if it is only 1 month. So it has to be something else.
hi yewjin do you send bck to maxis to check it out>???
rx330
post Apr 23 2009, 04:44 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

or maybe the 3 owners were conned into buying iphones which are not maxis sets?
prasys
post Apr 23 2009, 04:47 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

Chances are just check it
Sometimes people might sell those test units at a cheap price. These test units are actually locked phones or apple units (they do have a different product number). So they may have been locked to a particular SIM only !
rx330
post Apr 23 2009, 04:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

prasys, accroding to the sales person, the demo unit, can be used with any sim
and as i said b4, they claim they got software to unlocked the sets
stutzedward
post Apr 23 2009, 05:02 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(PeeEl @ Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM)
I am not a technical person but if the telco bars the IMEI which is an integral mechanism, for want of a better word, of the phone, no matter what card you insert, same would be disabled, no?

Say, just say you are right, what about those new owners who are using Maxis as well? As per your analogy, the iPhone will be useless to them then, right?

But there is still hope (I hope) since the customer relations officer I spoke with said that Maxis will only suspend the SIM. However, with this unchartered territory lingering in one's mind is not good.
PeeEl,

Okay, you're saying Maxis can 'trigger' a lock thru it's network to disable the iPhone thru recognizing it's IMEI number, right? Hmm... I've not heard of such thing before. ANyhow, there could something like this.

If I am using the iPhone over other telco (like me now, in DiGi), if my Maxis line got barred, they're not able to enable the trigger, cos it's not running on their network, hence the fone can't be barred.

If so, u might wanna remove the Maxis simcard before ur line got barred from the iPhone then.

sugen
post Apr 23 2009, 05:07 PM

Regular
1,357 posts

Sound logic too.. But then, since the TS is ken in repairing iphone3G(hardware/software). I believe he knows how to differentiate the origin of these iphone b4 starting this thread .. Right?

QUOTE(rx330 @ Apr 23 2009, 04:44 PM)
or maybe the 3 owners were conned into buying iphones which are not maxis sets?

Added on April 23, 2009, 5:09 pmI certainly don't think that Apple makes thing so complicated untill the need of a special "demo unit" for Maxis staff for the launch/demo.. As, iphone3G is launched about 1-2 years ago before reaching Malaysia..

QUOTE(prasys @ Apr 23 2009, 04:47 PM)
Chances are just check it
Sometimes people might sell those test units at a cheap price. These test units are actually locked phones or apple units (they do have a different product number). So they may have been locked to a particular SIM only !
This post has been edited by sugen: Apr 23 2009, 05:11 PM
prasys
post Apr 23 2009, 05:13 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(stutzedward @ Apr 23 2009, 05:02 PM)
PeeEl,

Okay, you're saying Maxis can 'trigger' a lock thru it's network to disable the iPhone thru recognizing it's IMEI number, right? Hmm... I've not heard of such thing before. ANyhow, there could something like this.

If I am using the iPhone over other telco (like me now, in DiGi), if my Maxis line got barred, they're not able to enable the trigger, cos it's not running on their network, hence the fone can't be barred.

If so, u might wanna remove the Maxis simcard before ur line got barred from the iPhone then.
Don't think so. You see in certain countries , they have a central blacklisted IMEI numbers. So if your phone matches (when it does the handshake) , boom you're unable to connect. In Malaysia , I don't think we have a central IMEI database or something like that. So its possible to switch networks or even use a stolen phone

sugen
post Apr 23 2009, 05:19 PM

Regular
1,357 posts

@prasys

I heard Malaysia is going to implement this system in order to reduce the crime related to hp (stolen/robbing)...
nokia2003
post Apr 23 2009, 05:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,786 posts

QUOTE(sugen @ Apr 23 2009, 05:07 PM)
Sound logic too.. But then, since the TS is ken in repairing iphone3G(hardware/software). I believe he knows how to differentiate the origin of these iphone b4 starting this thread .. Right?

Added on April 23, 2009, 5:09 pmI certainly don't think that Apple makes thing so complicated untill the need of a special "demo unit" for Maxis staff for the launch/demo.. As, iphone3G is launched about 1-2 years ago before reaching Malaysia..
errr think again then.

user posted image
iPhone part/serial number of MB504ZA/A for a friend of mine who worked during the maxis launch.

This post has been edited by nokia2003: Apr 23 2009, 05:20 PM
sugen
post Apr 23 2009, 05:52 PM

Regular
1,357 posts

Can't find MB504ZA/A(a demo unit?).. Malaysia iphone start by the following..
MB489ZA/A
MB496ZA/A
MB500ZA/A

So, back to the quesion.. What kind of problem is the TS faced? A demo unit?
nokia2003
post Apr 23 2009, 05:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,786 posts

QUOTE(sugen @ Apr 23 2009, 05:52 PM)
Can't find MB504ZA/A(a demo unit?).. Malaysia iphone start by the following..
MB489ZA/A
MB496ZA/A
MB500ZA/A

So, back to the quesion.. What kind of problem is the TS faced? A demo unit?
erm, i reckon that you have just answered your own question

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:55 PM