Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Check my high end setup!, The world of high end sound.

views

gabanyayaya
post Sep 7 2009, 12:34 AM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(vir___killer @ Sep 7 2009, 12:55 AM)
ya.. but it really can turn ur computer into real transport if running good dedicated power supply..... if u did that. hmmm but unfortunately. many ppl who in hifi still don blive the art of DIY...
vir killer, let me put this way lah....if u have a 1987 proton saga then u stuff with some 4g92 or some old skol vr4 under the hud you just turn your ride into a 10 second car.............. but people still looking it as the old obsolete proton saga

this is just electronics lah whether branded or cap ayam. I've meet so many people like like this before who only see good thing base on price tag and brand names...as long as you do it in the right way you won't get lost. DIY is the way to go...(and save too...)
TSvir___killer
post Sep 7 2009, 02:35 AM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ Sep 7 2009, 01:34 AM)
vir killer, let me put this way lah....if u have a 1987 proton saga then u stuff with some 4g92 or some old skol vr4 under the hud you just turn your ride into a 10 second car.............. but people still looking it as the old obsolete proton saga

this is just electronics lah whether branded or cap ayam. I've meet so many people like like this before who only see good thing base on price tag and brand names...as long as you do it in the right way you won't get lost. DIY is the way to go...(and save too...)
you are exactly rite lol. but it really takes time.. hmm making a sound out is simple.. however, making a good good sound is hard and hard LOL.. some ppl as i know, they took more than 10years in tube amp development.. that sounds better than those branded like ARC, mCintosh... bla bla ..with just all standard cables not even audiophile cable..
it was absolutely stunning.. they are just reaching the way to high end in the other way round instead of spending couple of ten thousand or hundreds of thousand. they probably have more than 20 years of listening experience.. hmm i think i still consider as rookie in the hifi world..
perhaps i m better than ppl who just getting their money to spend on those branded stuff.. many ppl like owning high end systems, i got nothing much to talk about it. but other thing, how much do they know..
playing hifi is not just listening.. for ppl who know tweaks and mods, they will be more enjoying.... just like me.

by the way, do u play hifi ? if yes, mind to share ur setup info? hehe.

fevercrash
post Sep 7 2009, 10:33 AM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(vir___killer @ Sep 7 2009, 02:35 AM)
you are exactly rite lol. but it really takes time.. hmm making a sound out is simple.. however, making a good good sound is hard and hard LOL.. some ppl as i know, they took more than 10years in tube amp development.. that sounds better than those branded like ARC, mCintosh... bla bla ..with just all standard cables not even audiophile cable..
it was absolutely stunning.. they are just reaching the way to high end in the other way round instead of spending couple of ten thousand or hundreds of thousand. they probably have more than 20 years of listening experience.. hmm i think i still consider as rookie in the hifi world..
perhaps i m better than ppl who just getting their money to spend on those branded stuff.. many ppl like owning high end systems, i got nothing much to talk about it. but other thing, how much do they know..
playing hifi is not just listening.. for ppl who know tweaks and mods, they will be more enjoying.... just like me.

by the way, do u play hifi ? if yes, mind to share ur setup info? hehe.
real and proper sound comes with a price.. smile.gif many ppl including DIYers don't really know what is real sound except for those knows who r very much involved in live bands or musicians are able to identify what is the right sound or not so it's not up to ur judgement to said that those ppl spend so much $$$ on high end stuffz don't even know shit about sounds and i doubt you know much about sound too..experience doesn't give shit about knowing whats the proper sound in a system, it's passion of learning and exploring, doesn't mean u like the sound its definitely the proper sound! doh.gif
RobA4
post Sep 7 2009, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
189 posts

Actually, it don't matter what the brand is or whether it's DIY or not.

As long as you like what you are listening to, that's it.

I could not care less about people who claim theirs is better or that yours can be improved upon etc.

Whether it's your hard-earned moolah for that "hi-end" gear or your sweat n tears for the DIY gadget... if you like it, great.
TSvir___killer
post Sep 7 2009, 08:39 PM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(fevercrash @ Sep 7 2009, 11:33 AM)
real and proper sound comes with a price.. smile.gif many ppl including DIYers don't really know what is real sound except for those knows who r very much involved in live bands or musicians are able to identify what is the right sound or not so it's not up to ur judgement to said that those ppl spend so much $$$ on high end stuffz don't even know shit about sounds and i doubt you know much about sound too..experience doesn't give shit about knowing whats the proper sound in a system, it's passion of learning and exploring, doesn't mean u like the sound its definitely the proper sound! doh.gif
LOL.. who the heck is this speaking lol..

like wat i said .. it takes time in finding the real sound. in the other way round.. btw how much u know about it..
know nuts ha.. just like my fren all bla bla..

i did mixing around with friends in playing real instruments.. i dont mean that high end gear is useless.. just DIY is the other way round to get u to high end.

if you are not a music lover then please dont .... around here la.. hehe

"real and proper sound comes with a price.." is not 100% TRUE.

probably 50% only true. hey kid, may b i need to tell u something.. even tough u change one capacitor oso makes the sound different.. sound is just about tuning.. there is nothing that call proper or not..
When u buy a brand A cdplayer sounds good in a system A, it might not sounds good in system B. Its about matching.

I think u better keep quiet abit and learn something from here wat is call high end sound. can ah? then only we discuss again ya boy..

This post has been edited by vir___killer: Sep 7 2009, 08:42 PM
fevercrash
post Sep 7 2009, 10:21 PM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(vir___killer @ Sep 7 2009, 08:39 PM)
LOL.. who the heck is this speaking lol..

like wat i said .. it takes time in finding the real sound. in the other way round.. btw how much u know about it..
know nuts ha.. just like my fren all bla bla..

i did mixing around with friends in playing real instruments.. i dont mean that high end gear is useless.. just DIY is the other way round to get u to high end.

if you are not a music lover then please dont .... around here la.. hehe

"real and proper sound comes with a price.." is not 100% TRUE.

probably 50% only true. hey kid, may b i need to tell u something.. even tough u change one capacitor oso makes the sound different.. sound is just about tuning.. there is nothing that call proper or not..
When u buy a brand A cdplayer sounds good in a system A, it might not sounds good in system B. Its about matching.

I think u better keep quiet abit and learn something from here wat is call high end sound. can ah? then only we discuss again ya boy..
Some people are arrogant because they always associate with their own peers, those who are all really nothing but who would like to be something.. smile.gif well bare in my mind that you're getting no where with that attitude of yours..
TSvir___killer
post Sep 8 2009, 02:17 AM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(fevercrash @ Sep 7 2009, 11:21 PM)
Some people are arrogant because they always associate with their own peers, those who are all really nothing but who would like to be something.. smile.gif well bare in my mind that you're getting no where with that attitude of yours..
watever la.. u just stubborn here.. lazy to bother u.
andrew9292
post Sep 8 2009, 02:17 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

Modded Edifier S730 (capacitors, opamps, EMI filter etc) with modded x-fi, can pawn those RM5000 Pionner or Sony Home Theater anytime and it's on analog line out.

In a sense Vic is right, buying something that has potential and modding it can give better sound than more expensive stock systems. IF you mod it right. and IF the modded system has POTENTIAL in the 1st place.

Buying a RM100 multimedia speaker and modding it will never give better sound cause it has no room for improvement.

Of course if you have a >RM100k home cinema setup, anything below than that no matter how you mod, it will be hard to surpass the quality of the RM100k's system's sound.

But if both have a RM100k system, one is modded and one is not, of course the modded one will perform better.

The thing is, if something is already priced that high, it should already be using top quality components.

If you have a 100k setup and found out there is place for a higher quality component and mod it... I really doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Sep 8 2009, 02:17 PM
callmevil
post Sep 8 2009, 02:19 PM

80 Druid
798 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 23 2009, 09:30 AM)
give him a chance.. he probably bought all those stuff with his life savings so no wonder he's so proud of them. just like how ur mom would brag about u to her frens even though u're not the best kid in the world tongue.gif
lol love this post.. i was disappointed not to find any audionote in your gear.. sighhh
TSvir___killer
post Sep 9 2009, 04:53 AM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(callmevil @ Sep 8 2009, 03:19 PM)
lol love this post.. i was disappointed not to find any audionote in your gear.. sighhh
lol you mean audionote stuff like their silver oil capacitor? LOL. can b vcap or MCAP silver wat.. now no budget yet la... slowly.. hmm after i finish my sound card power then i will put a ANALOG TUBE STAGE on my DAC.. Then i dun know how to say leh!!!

Attached Image

Universal stereo tube output stage. Complete module including the specially designed over spec power transformer for 115 to 240 V operation. Hybrid anode follower with circle of two CCS using ECC88/6922/6DJ8/6H1/6CG7 (not included); S/N ratio > 100 DBA, 2V RMS into a 10K THD is around 0.1%, 20 Hz to 20 KHz <-0.5db, output minimum 10V RMS on clip into 10K load <1% THD, output impedance is 75-100 ohm; one board can do stereo RCA output tube stage for a DAC, two boards can do balance output tubes stage DAC. One board could make a nice simple line stage, two boards could be configured as a balanced line stage, or an RC RIAA between two boards would make a nice phono stage with about 40 DB of gain, or two boards with a 10K LCR and a 10K termination resistor would be an easy way to build an LCR phono stage. Also includes Obbligatto coupling capacitor.

i will slowly upgrade la.. Audio for me is long term interest.. no need to be 2 rush
tongpoh
post Sep 9 2009, 10:46 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

vir killer, we are almost the same boat, i start my hifi journey 20 years ago, i start my pc audio 2 years ago. i used monica2 usb dac and mod it with blackgate cap and japan resistor and follow all the mod from their forum, after that i compared it with my friend MBL dac in his system, monica2 sound still cant beat MBL even i using 70A car battery, so i start to do research to make my sound better, i upgrade my pc two times and changed my dac to weiss dac2 with firewire, i change my playback software from foobar,cplay to sawstudio and izotope rx advanced using for recording studio, I follow the acoustic treamtment as recording studio used like bass trap and diffuser(diy) Yes , diy mod will improved the sound quality but it had limited improved, I am also a musician, i have a band play at nightclub when i was young, so i know how the live instruments sound like. MY system is pc firewire to Weiss dac2 direct to Jeffrowland 8Ti HC to Hales concert five, interconnect cardas golden cross, powercord acrolink 4030, speaker cable Ah pui signature series one ( diy with 4N copper )haha
TSvir___killer
post Sep 9 2009, 05:08 PM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(tongpoh @ Sep 9 2009, 11:46 AM)
vir killer,  we are almost the same boat, i start my hifi journey 20 years ago, i start my pc audio 2 years ago.  i used monica2 usb dac and mod it with blackgate cap and japan resistor and follow all the mod from their forum, after that i compared it with my friend MBL dac in his system, monica2 sound still cant beat MBL even i using 70A car battery, so i start to do research to make my sound better, i upgrade my pc two times and changed my dac to weiss dac2 with firewire, i change my playback software from foobar,cplay to sawstudio and izotope rx advanced using for recording studio, I follow the acoustic treamtment as recording studio used like bass trap and diffuser(diy)  Yes , diy mod will improved the sound quality but it had limited improved, I am also a musician, i have a band play at nightclub when i was young, so i know how the live instruments sound like.  MY system is pc firewire to Weiss dac2 direct to Jeffrowland 8Ti HC to Hales concert five, interconnect cardas golden cross, powercord acrolink 4030, speaker cable Ah pui signature series one ( diy with 4N copper )haha
In DIY method to high end, we takes lots and lots time to fine tune the sound. tats the enjoyment of experience too instead of buying 1 set of rm100k system.
Battery as power source for hifi is hard to design as the quality of AC.. heard from an expert.. the current is slow and u losses detail. tats y i forbid that then go for AC for my soundcard.

LOL... hmm... may b i can tell some of my experience.. hmm may b you can try to make a dedicated power supply for ur digital transport soundcard. and .. another superB playback software called uLilith with customizable memory buffer running under cMP, i blive it would be one of the best solution as transport.. the weakness of foobar is not transparent enough lol.. i did use that previously. until i seen uLilith. the software was developed by a group of audiophile in JAPAN.. And they are really SERIOUS FREAKS... LOL. GOOD TO TRY. The playback source like your audio file, is crucial during the phase of transmission. uLilith is able to load up the entire audio file to your RAM then playback. That is one of the solution of reducing jitter. Like the latest innovation of PS Audio PerfectWave Transport concept.
one of the weakness of computer digital out of using USB, i guess it would be the reclocking phase of your DAC. Jitter might appear at there.. Thats why, i am using ESI juli@ that using clock oscilliator at 22.5792mhz@44.1,88.khz,172khz and 24.576mhz@48khz,96khz,192khz. as well as my DAC matches the clock oscilliator is the same. Next time i can install another audiophile clock like newclassd neutron star and Audiocom or VSE Terrafirma uberclock LOL.. UBERCLOCK WAS INSANE TOO.

nevertheless bios setting, windows setting, and configuration jumper in your computer motherboard makes a big difference too. For example, the led light of your hdd or any other led lights. it generates plenty of noise that definitely affect your sound listening.. hmm.,.. if possible you can try the PC power cooling high end series PSU. it is quite good but, i dont think it is good for soundcard.. sound card itself should isolated with any other power source. hehe. connectors of your digital out better is to soldered.

your system setup IS QUITE CHOON! for me LOL... but i cant say anything before i experience it.. LOL.. good to talk to you here..!!! hope to keep in touch.

This post has been edited by vir___killer: Sep 9 2009, 05:12 PM
tongpoh
post Sep 9 2009, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

i used seasonic M12D 850, i think it better than pc power cooling which also make by seasonic. i underclock my amd 5050e to 1.2G,window i use vistalite, disable and delete all unwanted programs,shut down all unwanted services and changed some regedit, disable lan and usb function in bios.
TSvir___killer
post Sep 9 2009, 11:13 PM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(tongpoh @ Sep 10 2009, 12:01 AM)
i used seasonic M12D 850, i think it better than pc power cooling which also make by seasonic. i underclock my amd 5050e to 1.2G,window i use vistalite, disable and delete all unwanted programs,shut down all unwanted services and  changed some  regedit, disable lan and usb function in bios.
i guess pc power cooling might be the best... still remember cMP transport ?
they uses intel platform.. although i m using AMD oso but old cpu they say is something better but i forgot edy. LOL
if you own a lian li with fanless casing it would be better even u change your cpu fan to passive. totally noiseless
i guess u shud try back windows xp for audio lol.. so far still the best..

i m gonna try winxp 64bit today.... as i just finish my STUPID EXAM...

This post has been edited by vir___killer: Sep 9 2009, 11:14 PM
tongpoh
post Sep 10 2009, 06:27 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

QUOTE(vir___killer @ Sep 9 2009, 11:13 PM)
i guess pc power cooling might be the best... still remember cMP transport ?
they uses intel platform.. although i m using AMD oso but old cpu they say is something better but i forgot edy. LOL
if you own a lian li with fanless casing it would be better even u change your cpu fan to passive. totally noiseless
i guess u shud try back windows xp for audio lol.. so far still the best..

i m gonna try winxp 64bit today.... as i just finish my STUPID EXAM...
i try winxp, vistalite, window 7 with separate hard drive, vistalite sound better, dont know due to hard drive or os? vistalite using new WD640, other using old seagate. will try SSD when prices drop.
TSvir___killer
post Sep 15 2009, 06:07 AM

On my way
646 posts

CHECK THE LATEST MOD OF ESI JULI@

Attached Image
Dedicated power supply's REGulator... 1% accuracy. Lower noise than 7805

Attached Image
Sanyo OS-CON SH as power bank for REGS

Attached Image
DIRECT COAXIAL OUT!!!

Attached Image
NEW REGS for 3.3v ESI JULI@ chips.. REPLACE LOW PERFORMANCE STOCK REG MT1117
ANALOG DEVICES - ADP3338AKCZ-3.3RL7. - LDO REG, 1A, PRECISION 3.3V, SOT223

Manufacturer:
ANALOG DEVICES
Order Code:
Manufacturer Part No:
ADP3338AKCZ-3.3RL7.
RoHS : Yes
Description
LDO REG, 1A, RECISION 3.3V, SOT223
Voltage Regulator Type:LDO Fixed Positive
Max Input Voltage:8V
Max Output Voltage:3.3V
Max Output Current:1A
Dropout voltage:0.19V
Percentage Accuracy:0.8%
No. of Outputs:1
Min Supply Voltage:2.7V
Max Supply Voltage:8V
Termination Type:SMD
Case Style:SOT-223
No. of Pins:3
Operating Temperature Range:-40蚓 to +85蚓
Max Operating Temperature:85蚓
Min Temperature Operating:-40蚓
Base Number:3338

Attached Image
COAX WITH ETI PLUGS.

SOUND: .... STILL BURNING IN... WILL UPDATE LATER...

This post has been edited by vir___killer: Sep 15 2009, 06:11 AM
andrew9292
post Sep 15 2009, 06:42 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

I wonder how much is your card worth now... ; )
gabanyayaya
post Sep 15 2009, 07:58 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(tongpoh @ Sep 9 2009, 11:46 AM)
vir killer,  we are almost the same boat, i start my hifi journey 20 years ago, i start my pc audio 2 years ago.  i used monica2 usb dac and mod it with blackgate cap and japan resistor and follow all the mod from their forum, after that i compared it with my friend MBL dac in his system, monica2 sound still cant beat MBL even i using 70A car battery, so i start to do research to make my sound better, i upgrade my pc two times and changed my dac to weiss dac2 with firewire, i change my playback software from foobar,cplay to sawstudio and izotope rx advanced using for recording studio, I follow the acoustic treamtment as recording studio used like bass trap and diffuser(diy)  Yes , diy mod will improved the sound quality but it had limited improved, I am also a musician, i have a band play at nightclub when i was young, so i know how the live instruments sound like.  MY system is pc firewire to Weiss dac2 direct to Jeffrowland 8Ti HC to Hales concert five, interconnect cardas golden cross, powercord acrolink 4030, speaker cable Ah pui signature series one ( diy with 4N copper )haha
With that setup i think you can open a hifi shop la.... smile.gif

give me the info about you dac...

ps: working in a night club means you must have many ah moi contact...
TSvir___killer
post Sep 16 2009, 02:27 AM

On my way
646 posts

QUOTE(gabanyayaya @ Sep 15 2009, 08:58 PM)
With that setup i think you can open a hifi shop la.... smile.gif

give me the info about you dac...

ps: working in a night club means you must have many ah moi contact...
my DAC is Behringer SRC2496 MODDED. my wish is to make it like this...
Attached Image
(According to Dr.Lamp: "Have I found the best DAC in the World ? I can assure you - I am DAMN CLOSE !")
Also, 2 weeks later

The modded behringer was put to test with the Audionote champs: DAC4 ad DAC2. Both have huge investments in blackgates inside, better tubes, PIO caps etc.
DAC2 has the good old BB PCM63 and DAC4 has AD1865.

Behringer was for the first time an equal fighter. Even with the 17 000 Euro (plus 1000 Eu for blackgates and upgrades) the Behringer sound was in my opinion more interesting, with wealth of details presented bin a very natural fashion. Behringer was drawing me into the music. Audionote DAC4 had to fight very hard to match that.
After 2 hours - the scale started tipping on the Audionote side because of long warm-up of Blackgates. But the fact that such battle was almost equal - is phenomenal success. Behringer is a real mature champion. In my case - the cost did not exceed 200 Euro. Even without my cheap buying price and with somewhat more realistic lampization price - the total cost should not exceed 800 Eu. Wow !

Concerning AN DAC2 SE - the battle (in completely different system) was also interesting. In that system I preferred AN DAC2 because of its super natural "jazzy atmosphere" but on detail, space and rhythm - AN had no chance. So it was down to a personal taste thing.

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSP.../Behringer.html

Thats y... I STILL WONDERING MANY PPL SAYS TAT EXPENSIVE IS GOOD HA? LOL especially a kid name called fevercrash lol

This post has been edited by vir___killer: Sep 16 2009, 02:33 AM
gabanyayaya
post Sep 17 2009, 09:49 PM

Audiophedophile
1,142 posts

QUOTE(vir___killer @ Sep 16 2009, 03:27 AM)
my DAC is Behringer SRC2496 MODDED. my wish is to make it like this...
Attached Image
(According to Dr.Lamp: "Have I found the best DAC in the World ? I can assure you - I am DAMN CLOSE !")
Also, 2 weeks later

The modded behringer was put to test with the Audionote champs: DAC4 ad DAC2. Both have huge investments in blackgates inside, better tubes, PIO caps etc.
DAC2 has the good old BB PCM63 and DAC4 has AD1865.

Behringer was for the first time an equal fighter. Even with the 17 000 Euro (plus 1000  Eu for blackgates and upgrades)  the Behringer sound was in my opinion more interesting, with wealth of details presented bin a very natural fashion. Behringer was drawing me into the music. Audionote DAC4 had to fight very hard to match that.
After 2 hours - the scale started tipping on the Audionote side because of long warm-up of Blackgates. But the fact that such battle was almost equal - is phenomenal success. Behringer is a real mature champion. In my case - the cost did not exceed 200 Euro. Even without my cheap buying price and with somewhat more realistic lampization price - the total cost should not exceed 800 Eu. Wow !

Concerning AN DAC2 SE - the battle (in completely different system) was also interesting.  In that system I preferred AN DAC2 because of its super natural "jazzy atmosphere" but on detail, space and rhythm - AN had no chance. So it was down to a personal taste thing.

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSP.../Behringer.html

Thats y... I STILL WONDERING MANY PPL SAYS TAT EXPENSIVE IS GOOD HA? LOL especially a kid name called fevercrash lol
another lampizator fan....so when can we expect this mod will complete. I might be interested to see this piece of art shines in a very close range....where do you live?

5 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:18 PM