Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why Malaysians are Lazy to Read?

views

TSfiredauz
post Jan 29 2009, 09:00 AM, updated 15y ago

Kopitiam Official Astronaut
876 posts

Once in a blue moon, there will always be an article in the newspaper asking this question.
Most of the time, it'll be attached with a survey form from volunteers that we don't know whether true or not.
On my self-judgment, I have seen many Japanese even in trains, just to past the time.
The young to teens will have their mangas.
The business, working class will be reading newspapers.
The females and old people will be reading novels.

Looking back at Malaysians, very *rare* do I see a whole bunch of them reading just to past the time.
Whether at a coffee shop, restaurants, trains, at the park, friend's house, etc.

Here goes my question: WHY? biggrin.gif
cracksys
post Jan 29 2009, 09:04 AM

I'm a Vault Dweller!!
3,668 posts

er, because we're advanced and read PDF in phone?

me, yes. other fag, dunno.
SUSedmunz
post Jan 29 2009, 09:06 AM

dupe buster..since 2010
900 posts

easy lor.. coz in japan, if u not reading something u will look like idiot..... but if u read in train [m'sia] u look like nerd
suicideroach
post Jan 29 2009, 09:07 AM

kiss mah a^^
1,483 posts

TL;DR sweat.gif
exsea
post Jan 29 2009, 09:09 AM

On my way
624 posts

manga = buy home n read or go home online n read for ahem free
books = buy home n read or go home online n read or copy into handphone/psp/watever n read it so ppl wont know tat theyre actually reading

books vs movies
books = rm 30 - 100
movies = rm 12 (cinema) and rm 50 (dvd)

read newspaper also consider reading right?

maybe coz poor vocab?? read also dun understand half of what is wrote?

for me my main reason : i have many other entertainment sources but i do read articles from digg, cracked, somethingawful, lyn and gamespot (still reading right?)
cracksys
post Jan 29 2009, 09:09 AM

I'm a Vault Dweller!!
3,668 posts

QUOTE(suicideroach @ Jan 29 2009, 09:07 AM)
TL;DR sweat.gif

you, yes, you need a brain upgrade.

here's a nano-tod (+2 PER)
LeechFever
post Jan 29 2009, 09:12 AM

DodoBird
2,841 posts

Mainly books are expensive if u take account of ppp. library (in most country) does not have many good books (some kept by the keeper of the library themselves) and some not well maintained. Newpapers very bias that turns me off.
die_257
post Jan 29 2009, 09:25 AM

Getting Started
108 posts

As for me, I like to read but the problem is there is not a single shop here in Langkawi that provide me with the kind of books that I want to read. I love the "Linux for You" magazine but the one and only shop in Langkawi that previously have the book had already stop bringing it. Reason - Not many people buy it so they stop selling it.

The only time I got the opportunity to buy the magazine is when my company send me to KL for a business trip so I will definitely buy the magazine at KLIA.

Those living in KL are very fortunate since there are many quality book shops there i.e. Kinokuniya (my favourite), MPH etc. You see, sometimes there are people who likes to read and would buy books/magazines for reading but are discourage since there are not enough quality book shop at their neighborhood.

Thrust
post Jan 29 2009, 09:27 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

Try taking the Putra LRT and you'll see people reading books in that darn sardin can..
Tugang
post Jan 29 2009, 09:31 AM

18 posts

Maybe reading book no fun at all, only certain people enjoy it. Reading on moving vehicle make me dizzy biggrin.gif
TSfiredauz
post Jan 29 2009, 10:01 AM

876 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jan 29 2009, 09:27 AM)
Try taking the Putra LRT and you'll see people reading books in that darn sardin can..
I'm not trying to do another comparison but just by experience, but between the common-packed Putra LRT and the ultimate sardine can of trains in Tokyo, Japanese still read while being crushed by other passengers laugh.gif
ericpires
post Jan 29 2009, 10:20 AM

Arsenal FC
2,657 posts

Books are way too expensive these days.. compared to like say 10 years ago... i still buy books now and then...still can't find the time to read them lol... coz will be online or play games hehe
firefrog
post Jan 29 2009, 01:49 PM

8 posts

because malaysian education level lower that Japanese, Japan every adult got degree and not like Malaysia SPM people everywhere include me as well...Lolz
cracksys
post Jan 29 2009, 02:00 PM

I'm a Vault Dweller!!
3,668 posts

QUOTE(firefrog @ Jan 29 2009, 01:49 PM)
because malaysian education level lower that Japanese, Japan every adult got degree and not like Malaysia SPM people everywhere include me as well...Lolz

yes, i can see your point. you mean, you're an idiot who live in Malaysia therefore you think Malaysian's are all idiot.

This post has been edited by cracksys: Jan 29 2009, 02:00 PM
evilhomura89
post Jan 29 2009, 04:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,814 posts

books are still considered expensive if compared to other countries...
eg, a good book cost less than $10 in overseas while in msia, it will cost at least $30...don't compare by the exchange rate, compare by the value
u work and earn overseas, buying books is consider cheap
in malaysia, books are expensive
twilight_fever
post Jan 30 2009, 12:18 AM

On my way
660 posts

if i were to start to force myself to read a novel/book
which one/wat title is more suitable for me?
TSfiredauz
post Jan 30 2009, 12:37 AM

876 posts

QUOTE(twilight_fever @ Jan 30 2009, 12:18 AM)
if i were to start to force myself to read a novel/book
which one/wat title is more suitable for me?
Forcing yourself might not be a good idea.
Like everything else, it should come from your own interest.

A suggestion is that you head down to a bookstore or a library, start picking a random book, especially on a topic that you like, and *try* to enjoy it biggrin.gif
toobad
post Jan 30 2009, 01:12 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

Maybe because we're lazy blink.gif
KyoLee
post Jan 30 2009, 01:36 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

well.i should be the nerd tongue.gif
i usually take any public transport
if got change to sit.
will take out anything can be read.example magazine/novel or manga(comic)

something want to said is.sometime not we dun wan to read.is the book is pricey lolz..like the novel i read(those japan light novel/animation) also cost around rm45-50 each volume smile.gif

edan1979
post Jan 30 2009, 10:51 AM

*GruMpy_MoDe*
5,113 posts

nah.. pening kepala if read on train.. the ride is not that smooth...
temptation1314
post Jan 30 2009, 11:18 AM

Specials : 1,000,000 Spam Post Attack
2,287 posts

doh.gif See... it's really "Truly Malaysian"
Talking about how expensive a book it can be, it's really a lame excuse.

Those who can afford to smoke everyday are lame for taking the reason "I don't read because books was more expensive than my rokok."

Those who, "I can't afford to buy a books because I have budget for every friday's happy hours"

This is really Lame...

But then again, if "READ" is the word, even you read newspaper daily are considered as Reading.
Reading reviews virtually also consider as reading.

So if the topic can changed from general READ to Buy Books/Magazine and Read, then you can see more lame people who take up the reasons that those books are more expensive than their daily/weekly expenses.
LEVIATHAN
post Jan 30 2009, 11:24 AM

Master Chief Carl M. Brashear
2,281 posts

I just bought a book, Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb dari MPH MV. Tapi sepatah haram aku tak faham. English dia tinggi sangat la bro. Susah la macam ini.
temptation1314
post Jan 30 2009, 11:26 AM

2,287 posts

Bro, bacalah dari basic dulu... sweat.gif
banyak book yang boleh belek belek dulu sebelum beli... smile.gif
LEVIATHAN
post Jan 30 2009, 11:31 AM

Master Chief Carl M. Brashear
2,281 posts

I don't understand maybe because it's off topic from my usual reading. Beli buku tu sebab nak mencuba baca benda baru sempena tahun baru ni ha. Sekarang tengah merangkak-rangkak baca. Dua tiga kali ulang baca perenggan baru boleh tangkap makna.

;_;
zenwell
post Jan 30 2009, 11:42 AM

Regular
1,748 posts

QUOTE(LEVIATHAN @ Jan 30 2009, 11:31 AM)
I don't understand maybe because it's off topic from my usual reading. Beli buku tu sebab nak mencuba baca benda baru sempena tahun baru ni ha. Sekarang tengah merangkak-rangkak baca. Dua tiga kali ulang baca perenggan baru boleh tangkap makna.

;_;
Haha, Take it easy. Maybe the writer's style is different from those that you usually read. Sometimes I face this problem too. You should be able to get use to it after sometime. biggrin.gif
tomato123
post Jan 30 2009, 12:47 PM

Getting Started
262 posts

if only books here are cheaper...one fiction costs about RM35 sad.gif
i rather go online to read tongue.gif but some books cannot get softcopy from the internet cry.gif
temptation1314
post Jan 30 2009, 12:51 PM

2,287 posts

1 book @ RM35 consider ok what..
if you say RM350.. then I'll say otherwise...
KyoLee
post Jan 30 2009, 06:58 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

1 book rm35 yea is ok.
but imagine those series novel..and i m hardcore in reading..
and i got hobby of collect stuff...
haha..just complain for malaysia tarrif and tax charges(as i know Asia highest tarrif and tax charges is ahem..bolehland) oni tongue.gif no offense..

@edan~ i wont pengsan..due to biasa already tongue.gif

but still reading most fun place is imagination..
and sometime u will feel "wow" amazing" toward author ability to explain "VERY" details the scene or storyline thru word.. and from there i realize the powerful of "word"

toobad
post Jan 30 2009, 09:46 PM

Getting Started
291 posts

Actually i would say hardcover books are overpriced, as a book supplier, i know how much it cost, sometimes i think its better to wait for paperback version to come out only you buy biggrin.gif

But spending on books is better than spending on most of the things like phone and stuff like that tongue.gif
we should think of book like something precious then u wont feel its a waste of money to buy books.
edan1979
post Jan 30 2009, 10:33 PM

*GruMpy_MoDe*
5,113 posts

buy book... to cut tax... tongue.gif lolz...
TSfiredauz
post Jan 30 2009, 11:23 PM

876 posts

If Malaysians find that some books are expensive, perhaps its best to look into 2nd-hand books.
Or Amazon if you have credit card.

No more reasons to say 'books are expensive', am I right, my dear Malaysians? biggrin.gif
Ganzxel
post Feb 1 2009, 12:15 PM

20 posts

One of the reason Malaysian don't like to buy books cause it's expensive. Imagine 1 book rm36... and it's the first book of the trilogy if want to buy all 3 it's rm108. And then there's some books are priced rm40+. harry potter books are even more expensive. hehehe... malaysian are cheap mah... only stuff that are below rm10 are considered cheap.

But my main reason i don't buy books cause the bookstore rarely have complete sets. Currently reading the first 'book of words trilogy' but I can't find the second and the third book anywhere. it's very annoying and if it's not because JV Jones is one of my fav writer I won't have bought the first book at all.

jetzee
post Feb 3 2009, 07:02 PM

35 posts

Because japanese read japanese books as they have high japanese proficiency.

As for Malaysians, Chinese-eds chinese half half, Malay-eds Malay half half, and they all also English half half.

just kidding la, my friends and I read a lot. And i always see people reading in the LRT ==

Massa
post Feb 4 2009, 08:38 PM

Massa™
709 posts

;_;
Same with me.
Normally I just refer to dictionary , easy. biggrin.gif
opalish_ice
post Feb 4 2009, 11:37 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

books are rather expensive. So i read online stories instead thumbup.gif
roticanai92
post Feb 5 2009, 11:14 PM

Baby Audiophiler~
921 posts

QUOTE(opalish_ice @ Feb 4 2009, 11:37 PM)
books are rather expensive. So i read online stories instead thumbup.gif
and not long after that, u will have to wear a thick spec like me.

but u get to save the trees! no wasting of paper if u read electronic version of it~

This post has been edited by roticanai92: Feb 5 2009, 11:14 PM
baoz
post Feb 5 2009, 11:56 PM

Enthusiast
955 posts

There is no denying the fact that books in Malaysia are indeed expensive. Averagely a novel costs around RM35 these days. What more when you buy the series or trilogy it'll go up to three figures.

However as an avid reader, I resort to other sources such as newspapers, magazines and 2nd hand books.

Yes, you guys are correct - price shouldn't be an excuse for those who really love reading.

I've been trying to encourage some of my friends to read but the excuse they give is that articles are boring, they have no interest, and stories in books are predictable.

As for Malaysians in general, I suppose the emphasis isn't there and reading isn't part of our culture. Our culture is to mug and study textbooks which will give our students straight A's.

Basically, I think reading is an acquired hobby and interest. If you haven't been reading since young, it's pretty difficult to pick the habit up.
opalish_ice
post Feb 6 2009, 09:54 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(roticanai92 @ Feb 5 2009, 11:14 PM)
and not long after that, u will have to wear a thick spec like me.

but u get to save the trees! no wasting of paper if u read electronic version of it~
too late. already wearing it. sad.gif
Massa
post Feb 6 2009, 03:35 PM

Massa™
709 posts

QUOTE(baoz @ Feb 5 2009, 11:56 PM)

However as an avid reader, I resort to other sources such as newspapers, magazines and 2nd hand books.

Yes, you guys are correct - price shouldn't be an excuse for those who really love reading.

I've been trying to encourage some of my friends to read but the excuse they give is that articles are boring, they have no interest, and stories in books are predictable.

As for Malaysians in general, I suppose the emphasis isn't there and reading isn't part of our culture. Our culture is to mug and study textbooks which will give our students straight A's.

Basically, I think reading is an acquired hobby and interest. If you haven't been reading since young, it's pretty difficult to pick the habit up.
Thats right , baoz. I can't agree more.

milleu
post Feb 6 2009, 04:08 PM

Casual
431 posts

Once you get addicted to reading, it's even tougher....always want to read...always feel restless without new book or anything to read.

sure 35 is not that expensive for once a month...but for every week? Hello second hand bookstore here I come.I save half of that money by purchasing in second hand store and the owner already recognized my face she gave me a lot of discount when I buy 2 or more books.I think I probably love her the most. But sad thing is, her store already closed,taken over by some pastry shop.Must be because the rent is expensive and nobody really buy books.

Anyway, I like reading since young because library is the only thing open in the morning and have air cond.So cultivates from that.

But I sooo cannot read a whole poem book. An excerpt or two yes. but I cannot imagine how Yeats could cried from reading Tagore. I haven't reach to that level yet where I could appreciate his poem.

p/s: no online reading for me except for blogs and times.com. I like owning in actual physically,lining up my shelves.That's the only reason why I refused to sell my any of my textbooks.I think I might actually be obsessed with the idea of collecting everything. From books to bags and shoes.All lined up prettily.

This post has been edited by milleu: Feb 6 2009, 04:11 PM
David900924
post Feb 10 2009, 03:14 AM

Crypto Master
1,234 posts

its not lazy, but exp and cost living, in other country than Malaysia, their book are more affordable, sometimes you can compare it with food, Book<Food. But in Malaysia BOOK>FOOD

I was once addict to RPG novel book (play life character like DnD) which cost around 60+, and done less than a week, then go for another series until I feel broke and go for PC instead of book anymore. If it was cheap then I will hav a stack of it by now. But then again maybe I not into book anyway coz I didn't spend all for it.
shah_ho_nam2
post Feb 10 2009, 12:18 PM

らき☆すた
4,242 posts

QUOTE(firedauz @ Jan 29 2009, 10:00 AM)
Once in a blue moon, there will always be an article in the newspaper asking this question.
Most of the time, it'll be attached with a survey form from volunteers that we don't know whether true or not.
On my self-judgment, I have seen many Japanese even in trains, just to past the time.

Looking back at Malaysians, very *rare* do I see a whole bunch of them reading just to past the time.
Whether at a coffee shop, restaurants, trains, at the park, friend's house, etc.

i red newspaper everyday. sometimes during my time in the toilet lol
milleu
post Feb 10 2009, 12:31 PM

Casual
431 posts

I'm embarrassed to admit I got excited over warehouse book sale.

Every time I said I like reading books, people rolled their eyes because they don't think anyone like reading book for real anymore.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm addicted to the smell of books. That I can't stop reading and purchasing book or any reading materials.

It has become a secret that I like book and a geek at heart. I don't read in public because it's distracting. I just think that people who read in public is pretentious. I mean how could you possible read a novel in a bustling environment.Of course that is amendable if you're sitting around in a cafe in quiet area with a book. But reading in lrt with people squashing you? and by the road with honks? I'm just impressed with those people.

Best way to recognize people who likes to read is the one who goes scourging up and down bookstore isle.

I just think it has become sort of culture not to read. Which I think an absolute pity. I think it has to be the way of your parents reward you.When I was a kid, my parents reward me with brand new book. I appreciate it very much and now I reward my nieces the same way.

I got them the fables from europe,interesting pop up books, hard cover book and of course enid blyton series.

And it's great to say, they have acquired the same sense of appreciation of getting a book instead of me buying them toys or eating mcd.

feyhime
post Feb 10 2009, 03:41 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
257 posts

QUOTE(milleu @ Feb 10 2009, 12:31 PM)
It has become a secret that I like book and a geek at heart. I don't read in public because it's distracting. I just think that people who read in public is pretentious. I mean how could you possible read a novel in a bustling environment.Of course that is amendable if you're sitting around in a cafe in quiet area with a book. But reading in lrt with people squashing you? and by the road with honks? I'm just impressed with those people.

Best way to recognize people who likes to read is the one who goes scourging up and down bookstore isle.

That's a very broad generalizing you have there.

There are people like me who (used to) are traveling long distances and would rather read than to spend 30-40 minutes of train rides sitting and doing nothing at all. Just because you cannot read in such situations doesn't equate to everyone else being the same. Some people can sleep no matter how noisy the surrounding is, the same goes to people who can read in trains and public places.

Try visiting Japan, it's completely common to read in trains, some even read standing.
milleu
post Feb 10 2009, 03:52 PM

Casual
431 posts

I can totally understand for a long trip.I did it as well.

What I mean is for short commute. Everyday I sat waiting for the bus between 10 minutes to 40 minutes and I tried reading a book but it's very distracting.with the fumes and all that. Cars honking. Great if you can do it.
Massa
post Feb 11 2009, 11:59 PM

Massa™
709 posts

IMHO , we're just like other countries. smile.gif
Malaysians nowdays prefer to watch TV , play online games , online chatting and whatsoever.
Why do they waste their time to do something that they don't like?
Plus , now is the global economy crisis.
Althought we are not that serious yet , but I think Malaysians prefer to work harder rather than read novels.
Typical mentality perhaps.
Can't blame anybody , because reading is a hobby. smile.gif
As I mentioned before , can't force somebody to do what he doesn't like to do.

lunalovegood
post Feb 12 2009, 09:22 AM

Getting Started
111 posts

i'm helpless when i got my hands on a good book, i cant do nothing else! sometimes it affect my sleeps and work. sweat.gif and i annoyed someone close to me when he tried talking to me while i was reading. so i dunno if its good thing or not that i like to read. biggrin.gif
milleu
post Feb 12 2009, 10:29 AM

Casual
431 posts

I know. just like with other things.

you start having no space to put books and you worry about their conditions.

and when you find a good book, money is no object.

and you get less sleep when you're trying to finish a book and you get irritated with people who disturbs you.
lunalovegood
post Feb 12 2009, 10:56 AM

Getting Started
111 posts

i think i just like to read, but i'm not much of a book lover, i dog-eared, bend my books, read while i'm eating or while on the loo. i tried to take as much care as possible especially if the book is expensive like my harry potter series, most are hard-covered which is harder to care for when u read it more than twice and sharing with your brother, and i dont mind lending it to my friends as long as they return it back, because i want other ppl to enjoy the experience of reading like i did. sweat.gif ah i think i'm off topic already. biggrin.gif
roticanai92
post Feb 19 2009, 08:59 PM

Baby Audiophiler~
921 posts

QUOTE(milleu @ Feb 12 2009, 10:29 AM)
I know. just like with other things.

you start having no space to put books and you worry about their conditions.

and when you find a good book, money is no object.

and you get less sleep when you're trying to finish a book and you get irritated with people who disturbs you.
how many do u have til u have no space?
come vote here and see how is the collection of lyn book lovers!!

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/931699

back to the topic, malaysians i think are ignorant and believe tat if they need to read, its onli because they need to become successful.
like uncle auntie they no interest in reading.

and malaysians' rojak language makes our ppl bad in some language, separuh tong we chinese call them.
so when they can't understand the word and lazy to dig the dictionary, they give up~
Geminist
post Feb 21 2009, 08:41 AM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

QUOTE(milleu @ Feb 10 2009, 07:52 AM)
I can totally understand for a long trip.I did it as well.

What I mean is for short commute. Everyday I sat waiting for the bus between 10 minutes to 40 minutes and I tried reading a book but it's very distracting.with the fumes and all that. Cars honking. Great if you can do it.
Listening to some music helps.

I'd carry a book or a magazine whenever I go out. Whether it's a long or short commute, you can still spend time reading a book. I wouldn't go as far as to call it pretentious though.
bonzaimy
post Feb 21 2009, 01:30 PM

Regular
1,009 posts

Malaysian is genius. they don need to read and show off to all people that they are good. Others country like Japan and USA have bunch of idiot people. Thats why they have to read a book but if u see carefully, they just pretend to read a book. Their eyes look at the pages but their mind is somewhere else. We Malaysian is cool people. We read only our exam is near but some of us don read and study but still can pass with flying colours. I can say that Malaysian is best of the best
lunalovegood
post Feb 21 2009, 02:19 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

i think whether you like to read or not is individual thing. you cant judge the whole country like that. i mean, some of us here like to read and we're malaysian right? to actually say "Malaysians are lazy to read" just because you dont see every single person here with book under their nose 24/7 isnt quite right in my opinion. its generalization in a way.

This post has been edited by lunalovegood: Feb 21 2009, 02:20 PM
baoz
post Feb 21 2009, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast
955 posts

QUOTE(bonzaimy @ Feb 21 2009, 01:30 PM)
Malaysian is genius. they don need to read and show off to all people that they are good. Others country like Japan and USA have bunch of idiot people. Thats why they have to read a book but if u see carefully, they just pretend to read a book. Their eyes look at the pages but their mind is somewhere else. We Malaysian is cool people. We read only our exam is near but some of us don read and study but still can pass with flying colours. I can say that Malaysian is best of the best
Rubbish.

The way you think and type is that of a typical Malaysian who doesn't read.

This post has been edited by baoz: Feb 21 2009, 11:40 PM
shah_ho_nam
post Feb 21 2009, 09:57 PM

らき☆すた
1,317 posts

he may be from somewhere at what they call it "genius state"
Massa
post Feb 22 2009, 02:08 AM

Massa™
709 posts

I think he is saying the other way round guys. smile.gif
Perhaps a reverse psychology statement.
lunalovegood
post Feb 22 2009, 03:02 AM

Getting Started
111 posts

a.k.a being sarcastic laugh.gif
seedohbehlei
post Mar 1 2009, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

My perspective on this issue is that Malaysians probably think that if you read a lot, you're a nerd. Among my friends, they'd say they would google up something if they want to know about it, so there's no necessity for reading a book/magazine just to gain such knowledge. And to be seen in public while reading, shows that you're the introvert type, and that makes you score less with the opposite sex. This is narrow-thinking. And maybe it's just the Malaysian attitude that it's good to follow the big-group, as they say. If the majority don't read, then it must be the right thing to do. And people might also find that doing other things to fill their time is more worthwhile than reading, for example play games, watch TV, surf net, shopping, socialising, partying, clubbing, find friends to drink at mamak, travellin, sports...etc.
Miyako
post Mar 9 2009, 05:36 AM

18 posts

Cause books are expensive and no proper place for reading especially in public places while waiting for bus, etc.
vaKuz
post Mar 12 2009, 06:21 PM

5 posts

Lol, it was just last month I came back to M'sia for holidays and I recall complaining to my mum on me seeing tons and tons of fashion stores and hardly any bookstores in either a single area or a mall.
TSfiredauz
post Mar 13 2009, 12:27 AM

876 posts

Source: http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y...ni&pg=bt_17.htm
Penuntut yang akan melanjutkan pelajaran ke negara matahari terbit itu boleh mengambil contoh budaya belajar di kalangan orang Jepun yang sentiasa membaca walau di mana mereka berada.

Take examples of Japanese, fellas.

Malaysia's newspaper says so rclxms.gif
Massa
post Mar 13 2009, 09:43 AM

Massa™
709 posts

When I was young , I always wonder why Japanese love reading.
They seem to love it so much. wub.gif
TSfiredauz
post Apr 19 2009, 02:00 PM

876 posts

In today's paper: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...5792&sec=nation
Malaysians still not reading enough, says Muhyiddin

KUALA LUMPUR: Although Malaysia has among the highest literacy rates in South-East Asia, Malaysians prefer light reading material like newspapers and magazines to books.

According to literacy statistics, out of 85% of Malaysians who read regularly, 77% of them prefer newspapers, 3% read magazines, 3% read books and 1.6% read comics.

“If we were to compare with American citizens, 53% of them read fiction and 43% of them read non-fiction books.

“Malaysians are more inclined to read light material while citizens from developed countries read books,” Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said at the launch of the Kuala Lumpur International Book Fair 2009 at the Putra World Trade Centre yesterday.

The text of his speech was read out by Deputy Education Minister Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong.

The UN Development Programme’s 2007/2008 report said the literacy rate of Malaysians, at 93.2%, was behind developed countries like Japan, Britain, the United States, Australia and Germany, which have literacy rates of 99%.

“We still have room for improvement in terms of increasing the literacy rate to 99% by 2020 and the quality of material that we read. Parents play an important role in nurturing the reading habit among their children.

“Students should read more books, not just revision books or textbooks for examinations,” he said.

The organiser of the book fair has targeted 2.5 million visitors this year. Last year, 2.2 million people visited the book fair compared with 700,000 in 2006.

Muyhiddin also said that more bookstores should be opened in the country. Currently, 45% of bookstores are in the Klang Valley, 20% in Penang and Perak, while Johor has 10%.

Book fair organiser Datuk Ivan Hoe said Malaysians thought twice about spending money on books but not on food.

“They forget that books are intellectual food,” he said.

melvin91motorola
post Apr 21 2009, 08:36 PM

Casual
347 posts

cuz malaysian book lack of good title+english novel damn mahal, while others just stick to screamyx play online games, sumore got ps3 (who couldnt resist?), i guess its just mlaysian lifestyle, i think
SUSahjames
post Apr 25 2009, 08:21 PM

My Name James
1,337 posts

QUOTE(firedauz @ Jan 29 2009, 09:00 AM)
They are not lazy to read.

Just that its impossible to read in public places here.

oversea, u can pop into any cafe, order a kopi and read a book.

here , u go into cafe, if it serves food sure noisy one.

xtreMEgig
post Apr 25 2009, 08:27 PM

27 posts

i love to read. and i am malaysian. coz my parent are teachers. so they told me to read anywhere and any time. even if u r in bathroom.
u can see all most every inch of my house will have books.
while my sister and bro still a kid, u WILL found book even under my mom closest. right around every layer of her clothes. my sister hid it from me and my mom didnt even know unless she did tidy her closest.

one more thing, malaysia story not so good.

Added on April 25, 2009, 8:34 pm
QUOTE(firedauz @ Apr 19 2009, 02:00 PM)
malaysia dont have good/ motivation story to sold. so reader can read they plot. what use to read if u can predict the story or content?

This post has been edited by xtreMEgig: Apr 25 2009, 08:34 PM
Kidicarus
post Apr 28 2009, 05:27 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

QUOTE(xtreMEgig @ Apr 25 2009, 08:27 PM)
i love to read. and i am malaysian. coz my parent are teachers. so they told me to read anywhere and any time. even if u r in bathroom.
u can see all most every inch of my house will have books.
while my sister and bro still a kid, u WILL found book even under my mom closest. right around every layer of her clothes. my sister hid it from me and my mom didnt even know unless she did tidy her closest.

one more thing, malaysia story not so good.

Added on April 25, 2009, 8:34 pm

malaysia dont have good/ motivation story to sold. so reader can read they plot. what use to read if u can predict the story or content?
Actually, it's all about the environment. My folks weren't big readers and as a consequence, I didn't read much during my teen years. I went to Uni and Worked in London for about 10 years. During that time, i picked up reading more serious literature. This is due to various factors such as better stocked book shops (all I had growing up in PJ was anthonian and Syarikat Buku Lim), friends, and the fact that there is nothing better to do when riding on the underground/train/bus.

I guess it's the same for most Malaysians.
tgrrr
post Apr 28 2009, 06:17 PM

Enthusiast
939 posts

My father started giving me and my sister children story books to read when we were little. I still remember, initially it was very slow and boring as I had trouble understanding many of the sentences. Had to keep on reread them and this breaks up the story line. But I got hooked on as the story gets more and more engaging and I get gradually better at reading. After running out of story books, I started reading encyclopedias, science magazines, computer books, and any other stuff I find interesting there and then. These days, reading wikipedia is one of my pastime.
I think a supporting environment i.e. have suitable books per reader's level, supporting elders (especially if they themselves loves reading) and peers (well if almost everyone is reading, it must mean something) is very important to cultivate a reading habit.
infested_ysy
post Apr 28 2009, 09:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,051 posts

Price is definitely one thing, I believe.

Books are just too expensive over here, especially when you compare to how much the average hourly pay is, for laymen work. Guys in America are getting a minimum hourly wage of $8, and paperback novels are around $8.99~12.99, while guys over here are earning around RM4.5 per hour, and the same novel costs RM39.90/49.90. It's ridiculous, really.

Even Reader's Digest is kinda ridiculously priced (RM15 per copy, srsly?), and I only buy them (they're the perfect thing stuff in your bag/pocket to read when queuing or waiting) when they do the buy-1-free-1 thing from time to time.

But yeah, reading is good. I find myself spending hours and days reading whenever I stumble across a good book, attempting to finish it as quickly as possible (last one I read was this well known book about an English educated Chinese woman's life in China during the cultural revolution. I can't seem to recall the title at the moment, but it was so well written, I was completely absorbed by her struggles and hardships faced in the book)
bkveida
post Nov 22 2009, 04:13 PM

12 posts

Let me sum up some of the reasons why do we think Malaysians don't read:

QUOTE(edmunz @ Jan 29 2009, 09:06 AM)
easy lor.. coz in japan, if u not reading something u will look like idiot..... but if u read in train [m'sia] u look like nerd
Culture

QUOTE(die_257 @ Jan 29 2009, 09:25 AM)
As for me, I like to read but the problem is there is not a single shop here in Langkawi that provide me with the kind of books that I want to read. I love the "Linux for You" magazine but the one and only shop in Langkawi that previously have the book had already stop bringing it. Reason - Not many people buy it so they stop selling it.

The only time I got the opportunity to buy the magazine is when my company send me to KL for a business trip so I will definitely buy the magazine at KLIA.

Those living in KL are very fortunate since there are many quality book shops there i.e. Kinokuniya (my favourite), MPH etc. You see, sometimes there are people who likes to read and would buy books/magazines for reading but are discourage since there are not enough quality book shop at their neighborhood.
Access to bookstores

QUOTE(evilhomura89 @ Jan 29 2009, 04:14 PM)
books are still considered expensive if compared to other countries...
eg, a good book cost less than $10 in overseas while in msia, it will cost at least $30...don't compare by the exchange rate, compare by the value
u work and earn overseas, buying books is consider cheap
in malaysia, books are expensive
Price

QUOTE(jetzee @ Feb 3 2009, 07:02 PM)
Because japanese read japanese books as they have high japanese proficiency.

As for Malaysians, Chinese-eds chinese half half, Malay-eds Malay half half, and they all also English half half.

just kidding la, my friends and I read a lot. And i always see people reading in the LRT ==
Language skills - Malaysians don't really master in one language, unlike Japan or United Kingdom.

QUOTE(vaKuz @ Mar 12 2009, 06:21 PM)
Lol, it was just last month I came back to M'sia for holidays and I recall complaining to my mum on me seeing tons and tons of fashion stores and hardly any bookstores in either a single area or a mall.
This will be, erm... hmm.gif culture?

Personally, I think price is really an excuse or merely a small contributing factor. Some people would rather spend money for Sushi King, buffet, gadgets instead of books. Overall, imho, it's the culture in Malaysia. If everyone around us reads, I think we will become one of them and we read!

So if you read, do influence people around you to read!

P/S: I do meet readers that are not nerdy at all and very sociable. I am not a reader. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by bkveida: Nov 22 2009, 04:14 PM
laksa88
post Nov 24 2009, 01:07 AM

1 posts

Honestly I think books are way too expensive in Malaysia. I mean a novel is about RM30-35 and what should be like a week's worth of reading I finish in 6 hours ):
dopeycheese
post Jan 3 2010, 12:52 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

if u know where to go, u can find cheaper books, obviously u don't get to order titles or get new-releases, but if you're into a genre and have a few authors or titles i mind, you might just save some money. if very desperate then only buy at full price

if there's one thing to rant, is that bookstores always stock the more expensive version, be it hardcover or diff print edition or diff size(?). if didn't do research straight lose 20-30 ringgit

my favourite haunt is the college library, so many magazines i wouldn't be able to afford

This post has been edited by dopeycheese: Jan 3 2010, 12:56 AM
missfinn
post Jan 13 2010, 11:43 PM

11 posts

It should be a habit nurtured at early age. I can't live without books. In Malaysia the quality of library is terrible! The books' price are out of this world. Now I bought my book thru lelong or this LYN forum where they sell at cheaper price!! Lots of factor, really..But the habit starts at home. My parents are readers, so I'm surrounded by books at home, that make me love reading.
LilBear
post Jan 15 2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts

You don't necessarily have to read books you know. There is always the newspapers. The Star costs RM1.20. Borrow books off your friends! Scout for book sales! Buy used books (which are cheaper). Trade off books! The internet is also a good source of fictional and non-fictional articles.

I think Malaysians are giving waaaay too many excuses for not reading.
thesupertramp
post Jan 15 2010, 06:07 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

Very good point! If you search hard enough, there are many, many online literary journals that publish their materials online for free! These include fictional and non-fictional pieces.

Some of those short stories I've read were even better than best sellers!

Other sources like the Economist is also immensely interesting at times.

EDIT to add: Here's one very interesting blog with nice stories. http://sixsentences.blogspot.com/

This post has been edited by thesupertramp: Jan 15 2010, 06:08 PM
banks
post Jan 18 2010, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

I guess most malaysians care about what what others think about them when reading in public places. I say this is BS, since the other people won't even give a second thought about you when they get home. It's not like they gonna come up and say to you "You're A NERD"

For those who complained expensive, there's something called book sales, like the twice a year big bad wolf books or bookxcess which sell books at a cheaper price like rm15~rm20 off the price tag.
miaopurr
post Feb 7 2010, 08:38 PM

On my way
570 posts

i remember back in early 90's, brand new paperbacks from MPH, Popular, and other major bookstores were only RM18.90. that was without discount. i think the tax on books is still the same now as it was then. just that the currency exchange rate has changed. i agree that brand new books are expensive.

my resort is to buy used books or during book sales. sometimes i do buy brand new books without discounts; rare books or if i can't wait to read particular titles.

i usually read two books at a time. one i leave it in my office, to be read during lunch break, and another one i bring with me everywhere i go. even when i go out on a date. my gf has given up lecturing me for not giving full attention to her. 50% to books, 50% to her. especially handy when i'm forced to accompany her shopping. i'm still waiting for someone from readKL to catch me reading in public places. hehehehe check this out readKL

This post has been edited by miaopurr: Feb 7 2010, 08:45 PM
Agent 47
post Apr 12 2010, 02:19 PM

Casual
300 posts

Books are expensive, even RM20-30 is a huge burden for students like me. The only way I can get a book is through the school library, but the library here have limited books. I'm wondering how is the National Library in Jln Tun Razak? Is the book up to date? Any way I can reach there by public transport?
book_khaki
post Jul 17 2010, 03:12 PM

0 posts

i agree on cost - mainly cos the value of rm is lower compared to the 1st world countries. hence its moe expensive - but i hope that wil change somewhat with the better rm nowadays, and also through our company's constant promotions on reading.

2. from young we are not trained to make reading a past time.

3. many malaysians dont take the public transport.

4. malaysians prefer to relax their mind than to engage in more serious stuff smile.gif

just my 2 sen & observations.

still, i hope we can read more, as it opens our mind to a lot more things.
Sozze
post Aug 19 2010, 04:19 PM

21 posts

Hi all.

I can see many of us think that Malaysians do not read books or do not buy them or worst, lazy to read because of the price. Normally, I don't buy books too. I borrow them. That is how I do. And I'm still satisfied.
Sometimes I can't find the book that I wanted from libraries, so I'll start asking my family and friends.
If I still can't find that particular book, then I will buy it and I can always share it with others as well. Remember, there is nothing bad about buying books, they are 'education'.

Some people are not very lucky, living far from library or bookshop. So, I suggest you make a list of book(s) that you really want and when you have a little time, go get them all. Save some money in case you have to buy them. Just put some effort ya.
You can get cheaper books at book fairs or sales too.
Cheers!

Edit:
I found this on the net.

This post has been edited by Sozze: Aug 22 2010, 12:05 PM
spunkberry
post Oct 23 2010, 02:14 AM

危ない人です
Group Icon
Elite
1,890 posts

QUOTE(firedauz @ Jan 28 2009, 09:00 PM)

I don't know about the majority, but I've been reading since I was 2 years old and have gone almost blind because of reading combined with genetics.
my father's family has genetic bad eyesight which I inherited ... and I aggravated it by reading in the toilet, reading in bed, reading without enough light, reading in the car, reading reading reading.

You think I got bad eyesight from TV. Nope! Reading.

This post has been edited by spunkberry: Oct 23 2010, 02:15 AM
zeronine
post Oct 30 2010, 04:47 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(firedauz @ Jan 29 2009, 10:00 AM)

It is not easy to read a book without commanding the language used, unless you are very passionate about the subject or you do not have other options to past time. Train network in Japan is also very comprehensive, safe and punctual. You can expect some good reading time while traveling, and not much else. Access to books is certainly a key factor, but my experience is that Malaysians read books in to comfort of their homes, only to leave the house for other businesses. The weather is either too hot or too humid, or too dark and the insect bites. If Malaysians invent the book, it is digital.
eetfukouijaaa
post Nov 26 2010, 09:55 PM

36 posts

I love books. Books are awesome. Fiction, non fiction, fantasy, sci fi, comics i love reading. i got influenced by my dad. he reads everyday. and i started following in his footsteps. although his reading material is far more superior compared to mine, but i'm taking small steps. He has a huge library full of books he got from the 1970 & 80s while he was studying in the us. Most of the books I read are fiction novels. Maybe I love reading because I love English and languages in general.

EDIT

Slowly in Japan books are getting replaced with iPhones, PSP & NDS

This post has been edited by eetfukouijaaa: Nov 26 2010, 09:58 PM
sassy_chiq
post Dec 6 2010, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

Too much other entertainment. People usually prefer quick fix or visual entertainment like movies, iPhone, iPad. :/
lonelytree
post Dec 6 2010, 05:39 PM

25 posts

I'm at Kedah and it is quite hard to find a good book to read... So many wonderful books are very hard to find here.. So its not i dont want to read, is i can't..
juwels
post Dec 6 2010, 05:52 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(lonelytree @ Dec 6 2010, 05:39 PM)
I'm at Kedah and it is quite hard to find a good book to read... So many wonderful books are very hard to find here.. So its not i dont want to read, is i can't..
you can buy books from bookdepository, free shipping worldwide and have them delivered to you. you can get an ebook-reader and buy ebooks to read (60 seconds to download a new book on kindles)

if you rather buy from local sellers, you can get books from kinokuniya, mph and acmamall and these sellers deliver books to your doorstep.

otherwise just go to the library and read some classics.
lonelytree
post Dec 6 2010, 05:55 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Dec 6 2010, 05:52 PM)
you can buy books from bookdepository, free shipping worldwide and have them delivered to you. you can get an ebook-reader and buy ebooks to read (60 seconds to download a new book on kindles)

if you rather buy from local sellers, you can get books from kinokuniya, mph and acmamall and these sellers deliver books to your doorstep.

otherwise just go to the library and read some classics.
rclxms.gif thanks for the website.. i seriously have no exposure to good reads here~
i'm going to check it out now.. thanks so much.
juwels
post Dec 6 2010, 06:04 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

here are the links to the rest of the sites i mentioned :

kinokuniya
mph
acmamall

i saw two lyn forumers selling kindle 3, you can search lyn trade zone for it

This post has been edited by juwels: Dec 6 2010, 06:05 PM
lonelytree
post Dec 6 2010, 06:06 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Dec 6 2010, 06:04 PM)
here are the links to the rest of the sites i mentioned :

kinokuniya
mph
acmamall

i saw two lyn forumers selling kindle 3, you can search lyn trade zone for it
Still studying and broke rclxm9.gif
ArmorFiend
post Dec 17 2010, 05:14 PM

On my way
676 posts

We Malaysians are NEVER lazy to read books...!!!

The reason most doesnt carry one to read is because the price is so freaking expensive..!!!!

A novel costs around USD$6.99...converted @ 3.2 rate become RM22.40...

But is our salary being converted the same way..?

If job A in USA being paid USD$2,000/month...then Job A in Malaysia is being paid RM2,000/month...it is NOT RM6,400/month...!!!!

I am sure most of you have friends/relatives/siblings working overseas...jst ask them how much they are being paid on the same job but different currency...and that is WHY..we dont read as much as we are supposed to...coz the RM34.90 could actually last most of us 1-week's lunch money...or 1-week's petrol money...~

So that, my friend, is the reason we dont read as much as we're supposed to...~

Even a 2nd hand book costs half the price as opposed to other countries...~

You bought a RM34.90 book....and decided to sell if after u have finished because it's not to your liking. How much you will sell? RM10? or RM15 if it's still in brand-new condition?

Overseas, they are selling as low as USD$1.00 per book..!!!! And putting side-by-side with a newly bought, you can't even tell the difference...!!! And yes, i sapu-ed alot of those USD$1~$3 novels...but damn those airline weight charge...!

This post has been edited by ArmorFiend: Dec 17 2010, 05:22 PM
Katrinah
post Dec 20 2010, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
105 posts

Majority here says the main reason they dont/rarely read is cos if the high cost of book.
Do you not have access to library?
Cos I never really buy a single book (other than academic related txt books) in my life and I still read, there are tons of choices in d library..

Or do Malaysia library svck that much?
Cos I'm currently studying in uni, so perhaps I do have the advantage of having a well-stocked library. =/
ArmorFiend
post Dec 23 2010, 11:26 AM

On my way
676 posts

Katrinah,

Going to a library to read is as good as borrowing books from your friend..and it is only goood if somehow you two are into the same category. Hence a library wont stock up books to your liking, but rather towards what our Education folks deem fit for a malaysian to read.

Even if they do, how many books do they have that's to your liking? I am sure one would finish up the books they are keen on in a library within half a year or so.

Fantasy? Horror? Thriller? Yup, they do have all those tittles..but are you into ALL of it? From cook books to personal improvement? No matter which author it is? If your answer is yes, i read whatever books being laid down in front of me regardless of genre, author, year published or format then well, i am sure you will save tons of money then. Coz public library's gonna be your personal book shelves.

For fuzzy ppl like me that's into specific category, we tend to read those that we are interested in...coz reading through Flight Control Instruments and Supply Chain Management just because it's readily available doesnt really appeal to us...

Btw, jst wondering..if someone ask you, what kind of book you like reading, what's ur usual answer?

Nothing specific? Or so long as it's in a language i understand whether it's about pregnancy or hair styling to cardiovascular related then i am okay to finish it?
juwels
post Dec 24 2010, 11:26 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

i used to live in a remote town that has a small library. even that small library had enough books to keep me occupied. if you love reading, you will always find books to read. excuses about lack of books available or books being too expensive is just that - excuses. there are so many options available lah, book rental stores, second hand bookstores, book exhibition fares, warehouse book sales. please lah, stop giving excuses about not reading. you can even download ebooks and read it off the computer screen.
madmoz
post Dec 24 2010, 12:04 PM

4,250 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Dec 24 2010, 11:26 AM)
i used to live in a remote town that has a small library. even that small library had enough books to keep me occupied. if you love reading, you will always find books to read. excuses about lack of books available or books being too expensive is just that - excuses. there are so many options available lah, book rental stores, second hand bookstores, book exhibition fares, warehouse book sales. please lah, stop giving excuses about not reading. you can even download ebooks and read it off the computer screen.
I must say that I feel insulted laugh.gif
Malaysian's don't read enough cause they are busy playing monster hunter whistling.gif

Seriously though, I would say that Malaysians do not read as very few have the priviledge of being brought up thirsting for knowledge. The 'want to know' feeling has been systematically crushed out of our kids (not that I have any, mind you wink.gif ) by an education system that is archaic, lumbering and BORING. Many kids nowadays (at least those that I have met) see books, school and studies as a necessary evil so do you really expect them to continue reading once they turn adult?
juwels
post Dec 24 2010, 12:13 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

i was brought up by that archaic education system yet i read more than 2 books per month, despite monster huntering woh nod.gif

in fact i have gone through 6 books last month and this month itself smile.gif and i still have time for my ds tongue.gif

and.....the remote town i am talking about is not the one where we lived la mozzy, am talking about another library where my grandparents were, hehe. mini library okay. i even loaned books from them moving libraries.
madmoz
post Dec 24 2010, 12:15 PM

4,250 posts

ok then. malaysians generally do not read cause we are a lazy bunch. satisfied now? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by madmoz: Dec 24 2010, 12:16 PM
juwels
post Dec 24 2010, 12:24 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(madmoz @ Dec 24 2010, 12:15 PM)
ok then. malaysians generally do not read cause we are a lazy bunch. satisfied now?  laugh.gif
noooooooooooooo. all my friends read smile.gif my family reads. my colleagues read. a lot of malaysians read!! heck you read too, you were recommending me terry pratchett the last time we talked about books!

a disturbingly large percentage of malaysians dont read. that's fine, to each their own. what pisses me off is, the attitude within this percentage that thinks reading is a privilege only the rich or the upper middle class can afford. their self defeating "i am poor therefore i can't afford books therefore i dont read" really boils me. hello, can afford RM500 phone but cannot afford RM30 books? can go watch rm10 movie for 2 hours of fun cannot buy second hand rm10 book?

nonsense lah.
ArmorFiend
post Dec 28 2010, 02:07 AM

On my way
676 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Dec 24 2010, 12:24 PM)
noooooooooooooo. all my friends read smile.gif my family reads. my colleagues read. a lot of malaysians read!! heck you read too, you were recommending me terry pratchett the last time we talked about books!

a disturbingly large percentage of malaysians dont read. that's fine, to each their own. what pisses me off is, the attitude within this percentage that thinks reading is a privilege only the rich or the upper middle class can afford. their self defeating "i am poor therefore i can't afford books therefore i dont read" really boils me. hello, can afford RM500 phone but cannot afford RM30 books? can go watch rm10 movie for 2 hours of fun cannot buy second hand rm10 book?

nonsense lah.
1stly, you're not seeing my point. 2ndly, you're comparing apples with oranges between phone and book.

Jst so you know, i love to read..and i have sufficient books to last me for the nxt 3 yrs...unless you're claiming again that you could read a 300+ pages of novel within the span of 5 days then my supply will probably last you only 9 months.

Unless you were born back in the 50's, you have to admit that phone nowadays is a necessity, not a luxury. While books on the other hand, novels and story books, are a luxury. They are only necessary if it progresses you from one position to another in term of work achievement or personal development. Anything apart from that is pure leisure.

Like what you have said, you read 3 books in a month, that's equal to RM90. Loosely put, it's around RM1080 per annum. And for someone to spend RM500 on a phone, it's obvious that said fella aint changing phones base on current trend else said fella who go for either iphone or BB, which wont cost only RM500. With that in mind, the RM500 phone's probably gonna last 2yrs or more. So is it fair to say that comparing mobile phones with books is a poor example?

Now let's go to the phrase of, "i am poor therefore i can't afford books therefore i dont read".

This statement to me is incorrect on many levels.

One, people who's lazy to read have never gave excuses of books being expensive, hence they dont read. They spell it outfront that reading is a waste of time and they would doze off faster than finishing the 1st paragraph or before one could ask 'what tittle's that book'.. They dont see the need to defend themselves from not reading because they are jst not into reading. I dont like golfing but my friends do and when they ask me why, i dont go around telling them the clubs costs more than my car petrol in half a year. I tell them straight i am not into golf. Period. What's there to defend or give excuses on when it is jst not your thing to do?

Two, complaining on books being pricey came from people who reads. From people i know and from me myself. Annually, i spent around RM1.5k on books and magazines. If the same amount of money is being converted into USD or GB, the numbers of books i could buy with that currency will be more. It's akin to paying the same amount of money except with better money's worth. Let's use RM30 for a book, with RM1.5k, i could get 50 books. Let's use USD for discussion sake with conversion rate of 3.5, albeit current rate is at 3.15, that's around USD428.50. On average a book costs USD6.99 round up to USD7.00. With the same amount of RM1.5k converted at 3.5 to USD428.50, i could buy 61 ($428.50/7) books as opposed to 50 with RM1.5k. So now, my fellow readers, you understand why i say we Malaysians are never lazy to read books. But rather because of the higher price we are getting our books, we couldn't read as abundantly as what we're seeing on other western countries. And due to the reason the price of books are higher here, we are reluctant to sell our 2nd-hand books as low as RM5 or RM2 each. And that if we are to sell it that cheap, we sell it to people we know, else we rather keep it ourselves so that we could run through those pages again in hopefully 5 yrs down the road for RM5 is truly nothing to shout for.

People who dont like reading dont care whether it's priced at RM10 a book or RM1..they rather use the RM1 to order a teh tarik or throw in another RM1 to install Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in their PSP from their Local Game Shop.

What i am trying to say on this 2nd point is that, the purchasing power is not the same between RM and USD or any other currency for this matter. People who read complaint about books being expensive because its eating into their monthly expenses. And if our gahment could lower down the taxes on novels, which is being categorized as a luxury under the customs big red book of taxes(hard-cover summore), it would benefit not jst you and me but those that are undecided what their 1st novels should be.

And lastly, my point on all of these bitc'ng is that, if the price of book could be lowered, there might jst be a glint of hope for those fence-sitter, those that have always thought and felt about starting their very 1st book but reluctant to give it a try because RM30 could mean a lot for many people. And especially so when they are unsure of the author, whether the style of writting is to their liking. It would be great if their local library has such vast titles of novel stocked, but ultimately, they will found out what category is to their liking and which isnt and the local library isnt gonna be as well equipped as having at least 1 book for every author out there. And the very 1st step in getting a book of their own from the author they suspect is good will gnaw into them. And to choose between RM30 on a book they might have faith in as a good book, versus that of other needs be it for petrol money, a monthly trip to a simple restaurant with his loved ones, or his insurance installment or saving it for rainy days, isnt it obvious which one would be more beneficial in the long run?

So that is why, you dont hear people say, "i am poor therefore i can't afford books therefore i dont read"...but rather, 'i dont read because i jst dont', or 'i dont read as much as i want because my pay doesnt jive with the price of books'.

You said that people give excuses of books being expensive hence they dont read..
But i say that people who complaint about books being expensive, are those who reads...

Hence to shrugged it off as 'nonsense la' instead of trully and carefully analysing it, is a manner i believe we all won't miss if it's not being shown.

PS : On comparing a RM10 2-hour movie with a RM10 second hand book, it's another poor example that i believe many would be able to give tell you why, or that you could visualise the reason yourself. But assuming you can't or wont, let me jst list down some 'excuses' on why it isnt a good example :
- Going to a RM10 movie is usually with your special someone or with a group of friends, it is the ambiance that matters most of the time. Yes, you can lay down next to your special someone with a book each on hand savouring the moment, but are you able to do what you did with your special someone like when you're watching a movie? A book needs concentration and imagination..a movie projects everything in front of you and what you need to do is jst absorb. You are free to do anything with your partner or group of friends and yet, still understand the flow of the movie. Try doing that when you're reading and you will be pulled into current reality instead of letting your mind wonder to where your book takes.
- If watching a 2-hour movie lets you understand what the movie wanted to convey, will reading 2 hours into a novel lets you understand what the author wants you to feel? Unless either you could read 150 pages an hour or your novels only 50 pages thick then yes, they are on equal ground for comparison.
- And most ppl go for a movie is because that's wat most people are doing. In another word, you couldnt chat with your friends about a movie or critic about it unless you have watch it. It provides a topic during a mamak gathering, albeit a short one..but something to talk about nonetheless. Try doing that with a book and most will say, 'Oh, nah..i prefer [INSERT OTHER GENRE HERE]'..you get my point..
- If Rosamund Pike is my favourite actress in a particular movie, i am not going to see the same lovely girl in the book with the same tittle..
- and the list goes on for special effects, animations, cinematography, acting skills to finally, waiting in anticipation during Grammy Awards or Golden Horse Awards on who's who...
And that my friend, is why comparing a RM10 movie with a RM10 book is again, a poor example...~
madmoz
post Dec 28 2010, 10:55 AM

4,250 posts

I love how the discussions in this forum take like days to progress from one salient point to the other laugh.gif
Mayhaps this is the problem too - reading is too slow paced for the majority of Malaysians? Personally, money isn't exactly the problem - a figurine or a videogame easily costs as much as five or more books and I make multiple purchases every month - but the amount of books I buy have in fact been steadily decreasing over the years. Perhaps I no longer get as much enjoyment out of books as I used to. A bit too jaded to let my imagination run loose? That would explain why I am gradually reading less and less fiction and more and more documentary/biography (a.k.a. the boring stuff).

But i digress - reading is still popular. Rant below!
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Instead of saying Malaysians generally find that books are too expensive, would it be more apt to say that Malaysians do not believe that books offer the best value for money?

Eg. How long does a book last you anyways? A 500 - 600 page paperback probably gets done and dusted for me in 2 days tops (unless if it is a real stinker then it depends on how often i sit on the loo (pun intended laugh.gif)) while a hardcover book on say WW2 gets read repeatedly in small sittings. On the other hand, I paid MYR180 for Monster Hunter Tri, and at last check I have clocked in way over 700 hours. hmm.gif

This post has been edited by madmoz: Dec 28 2010, 11:04 AM
Stripeygiraffe
post Jan 6 2011, 05:50 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

I like to read. I just don't feel the need to do it in public (:
mysterygirl
post Jan 6 2011, 08:22 PM

0 posts

I do like to read but it does depend if the reading material is attention grabbing...hehe any other fans of the chicken soup for the soul series or readers digest? happy.gif
SUSadvocado
post Jan 17 2011, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

I think it's just not about reading. If you look at what a typical Malaysian has for hobby, you'd find, non other than teh tarik, internet, tv & movies, music. These are more pop than hobby.

Hardly see anybody having Hobbies, they just like you said too lazy or simply have no luxury time to do that.
Tiakaneko
post Feb 10 2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts

;_;
Think of it as training. Lama2 biasa punya. Trust me, I've trained my best friend to understand 'high-level' English. Expose yourself to a lot of books like that, and eventually dapat tangkap punya lah.

Added on February 10, 2011, 10:12 am
QUOTE(baoz @ Feb 5 2009, 11:56 PM)
There is no denying the fact that books in Malaysia are indeed expensive. Averagely a novel costs around RM35 these days. What more when you buy the series or trilogy it'll go up to three figures.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

This post has been edited by Tiakaneko: Feb 10 2011, 10:12 AM
akira2001
post Feb 11 2011, 03:33 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Well, you like it, you pay it.
Buying books in Malaysia always consider a lose money at the point of view of other people. They see these books as a stack of paper with ink in it that is useless for any practical usage.
Everything that cannot help you to generate money is consider a wasted.
In school, teacher didn't ask or encourage us to read books that is other than textbooks or exam related let alone our family will do it.

Hakimi90
post Feb 12 2011, 11:47 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

for me, comes from remote area.. there're no MPH, kinokuniya or borders. Only normal books store that only supply book school and for major examination book(UPSR,PMR, SPM......

It's about mentality
few years back i have listen this quote "Makcik dah tua x skolah, kenapa kena baca buku"

So the mentality is " No school No books" even newspaper...so sad ...

PROVE ? expecially my neighbourhood (4-5 houses) . sometimes they comes to my house to ask for old newspaper.. me and my mother wondering why and my little brother (always play with neighbour child) told us that he NEVER seen they read newspaper.. WOW

Differently, my grandma, 70+ yo. everyday wakeup early in morning driving to mosque and on the way back she buy newspaper almost everyday.. even sometime i visit her I can read the paper which is 'mis-buy' by me or i can read different brand of newspaper. ...

Its not about the rich or poor people . Its about READ...

"In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Read! in the name of thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood:
Proclaim! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful,-He Who taught (the use of) the pen, Taught man that which he knew not........."

Al-Alaq, Verse 1-5...

Ryan19
post Feb 14 2011, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

People saying reading is good. Reading is knowledge. I believe reading is worth your general knowledge and the way you can change a person's point of view.

Filling heads with knowledge and stories, makes a person live in a different perspective view, that enhance their understanding thus helping others to know the state of mind of another person.

That's where we often left out from being well-developed to face the things we often feared of. That's ourselves from books. So read when you know it's the right time to fill the strength of your need-to-know or desire-of.

snowfire64
post Feb 14 2011, 07:43 PM

Casual
303 posts

In my opinion, there is misconception between reading a book and doing general reading. To be honest, most Malaysian or people would think you must read books, paper novels and alike. Well i think there's no excuse for price and limitation of books now with wifi's and abundance internet connections available.

Excuses are made for not taking the baby steps to read short anecdotes or stories and fear to take the mantle of reading thick novels. For example, many would say they would get sleepy after reading two pages. Well, which human wouldn't if they are obviously tired. Or to deceive themselves, reading status updates and conversations in Facebook would not succumb to this mental tardiness excuse. Apart from holding paperback novels or a newspaper, why not read the rapidly changing news portal which i think is a jewel of knowledge in every subject one can choose from.

Reading should be thought only about stories or crunching word counts and pages. Reading should be an enjoyable experience without regret or the desire to make an excuse for not to read.

They are reading experience of being in a trance of fantasies or adventure, but why not take the other modes of reading as a self enchancement tool.

I think reading is a damn good hobby to do. Instead of killing time, we are enchancing ourself too. Some people are too ridiculous nowadays to even go an everyday lives of reading only a page of article or worse, a headline and continue with 6 hours of gaming-brain-eroding session.
calibre2001
post Nov 8 2012, 02:49 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

I think parents are partly responsible for not inculcating the reading habit in their children.

Pre-internet era I recall the average number of books read by Malaysians was at 2.

I also think the issue of poor English, poor BM, poor Mandarin stems from lack of reading.
Ace98
post Nov 11 2012, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

I love reading a lot... And i prefer reading from actual books than reading from my laptop... But i only read in house... i'll be dizzy if i read in car, train or bus... @@
SUSkawakubo
post Nov 11 2012, 08:22 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

ask ah wang!
TOROBO
post Nov 13 2012, 02:29 AM

Casual
379 posts

people feels weird when I read books,damn... -.-
sarcasm90
post Nov 14 2012, 09:29 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(TOROBO @ Nov 13 2012, 02:29 AM)
That's because people would think either you're a nerdy bookworm, an anti-social, show off, or just plain boring, and weirdly enough they would get somehow intimidated or uncomfortable being around you. Err.. Something along those lines. tongue.gif I wouldn't give them a second thought if I were you, I mean I'd rather just continue reading and lost myself in it than messing my head with possible reasons people would come up with when they were scrutinizing me. Lol just my two cents. blush.gif
Mech Warrior 6
post Nov 22 2012, 10:00 AM

Casual
343 posts

QUOTE(TOROBO @ Nov 13 2012, 02:29 AM)
not sure whcih part of malaysia ur in, but in penang, ppl dont give a darn whether u read a book or not....and usually u wont be the only one.
avanpiper
post Nov 24 2012, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

I think that's a typical culture of msians, can't blame them in general because they're probably brought up like that. For example, if your parents are those that likes to read and cultivate it in you in an early age, like mine, then the children will most probably grow up to read as a hobby. Then there's also the fact that technology has advanced in a faster pace now, kids get addicted to ipads etc...games, grownups are either busy with work, too tired after that to focus on reading. Reading consumes a lot of concentration. So rather than doing that, most would end up watching tv/movies things that don't need much concentration.

I was a bookworm and collected lots of series of novels when I was younger. I read less now because of my studies but I still like to go bookstores and browse through and grab one that attracts me. Funny how Malaysians, in general, think that buying novels or books is a waste of money. For me, I never thought if it as a waste, in fact, my parents always encourage me to buy books. When I was still schooling (I'm in university now), they'd rather me spent my money on books than other stuffs.

A bit out of topic but I hope to have a small library section in my future house hehe...a little corner with racks and racks of books haha laugh.gif
Endevor
post Dec 14 2012, 05:25 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

Just to add on why Malaysian don't like reading .... its also because books in Malaysia are every expensive compared to other countries. A simple paperback book can go around Rm60.

Ya sure, we can order online but still. Think of it, if books are like Rm20 - Rm30 price range, I'm sure some of us will get some of them for the sake of reading.

my 0.02 cents.
highbury1913
post Dec 15 2012, 03:48 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(Endevor @ Dec 14 2012, 05:25 PM)
Just to add on why Malaysian don't like reading .... its also because books in Malaysia are every expensive compared to other countries. A simple paperback book can go around Rm60.

Ya sure, we can order online but still. Think of it, if books are like Rm20 - Rm30 price range, I'm sure some of us will get some of them for the sake of reading.

my 0.02 cents.
Most mass market paperbacks cost RM36.90. Only self help books reach RM60 price tag for paperbacks because hardcovers aren't that popular in that genre.
Empathy
post Dec 15 2012, 07:51 PM

Regular
1,184 posts

QUOTE(Endevor @ Dec 14 2012, 05:25 PM)

my 0.02 cents.
Books Expensive ? Yet ... they have no problem buying a RM 2,000 iphone 5 .

yeapwei
post Jan 2 2013, 05:45 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(Empathy @ Dec 15 2012, 07:51 PM)
Books Expensive ? Yet ... they have no problem buying a RM 2,000 iphone 5 .

rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Can't agreed more.
But then, you have to look at it through economics.

I guess everyone who had some training in economics would understand the term utility.

If reading can't give them the same satisfaction as owning an Iphone 5, why would they even bother to spend even a single cent to grab a book?

It's all pinned down to personal preference IMO.

And culture part, I agree that a lot of people think that spending money on books is a stupid act.
People kept telling me that you can just get a 2nd hand book at 10 bucks.
But heck, they themselves didn't even bother to read a single book even though it's really 10 bucks per book.
MF2
post Jan 10 2013, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

That's why, if i really want that book. i take a photoshot on the cover and search pdf in a google. Sometimes, i try to find at Bookxcess , Ancorp Mall or else free reading.Though, i worked at BSC bookstore as part timer, i'm only can get 20% discount but still cheaper biggrin.gif .
highbury1913
post Jan 10 2013, 07:37 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(MF2 @ Jan 10 2013, 05:29 PM)
That's why, if i really want that book. i take a photoshot on the cover and search pdf in a google. Sometimes, i try to find at Bookxcess , Ancorp Mall or else free reading.Though, i worked at BSC bookstore as part timer, i'm only can get 20% discount but still cheaper biggrin.gif .
But you're not supporting the already dying book industry sad.gif
pica88
post Jan 11 2013, 10:56 PM

6 posts

i think internet is the main reason to make m'sian not like to read book.
Internet make people addict to it.
2nd is the price is not cheap and lack of choices to read.

when my pc has problem,i keep buying books to read,but after pc is repaired,books keep under my bed.
highbury1913
post Jan 16 2013, 02:44 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(pica88 @ Jan 11 2013, 10:56 PM)
i think internet is the main reason to make m'sian not like to read book.
Internet make people addict to it.
2nd is the price is not cheap and lack of choices to read.

when my pc has problem,i keep buying books to read,but after pc is repaired,books keep under my bed.
Lack of choice? I always believed that with Kino & MPH, Malaysia has a very good selection compared to most countries. In fact, it's great that we get both US & UK published versions of books here.
pica88
post Jan 17 2013, 09:05 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Jan 16 2013, 02:44 PM)
Lack of choice? I always believed that with Kino & MPH, Malaysia has a very good selection compared to most countries. In fact, it's great that we get both US & UK published versions of books here.
for english version books,maybe you can satisfied to it,but others language version is less import to here,so i feel not many choices to choose if want to read Chinese books. cry.gif
v0LtaGe
post Jan 17 2013, 01:20 PM

Casual
458 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Jan 16 2013, 02:44 PM)
I see what you did there.
yeapwei
post Jan 21 2013, 04:32 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(pica88 @ Jan 17 2013, 09:05 AM)
for english version books,maybe you can satisfied to it,but others language version is less import to here,so i feel not many choices to choose if want to read Chinese books. cry.gif
wait what?

How long has passed since you last entered a bookstore?

No offence bro I'll agree to your statements 2/3 years back but seriously right now, you can get tons of choices.

Especially Popular, I've really seen them brought in tons of new chinese books from Taiwan.

I didn't even mention Kinokuniya where you can get almost all Chinese books published in Taiwan because of the price.
whoba
post Jan 22 2013, 09:12 PM

35 posts

i don't think its a Malaysian thing, its worldwide that people nowadays read much less than say 10 years ago.
I'd agree with someone mentioning the Internet being one of the reasons. Internet, media, social-media, advertising etc. have all made us have shorter attention spans. As we get faster and more accessible things online, we live in a world where 'instant' is what is expected.
we get instant news, we open multiple tabs in browsers and jump from one to another, if a text is more than a few paragraphs, we get bored and jump to another.
Reading is a slow-placed activity that stimulates our brain and as people's attention span get less, they are less eager to read. i too admit i suffer from internet and social media addiction, but trying to limit myself and read more.
quarantined
post Jan 31 2013, 05:25 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

I picked up the reading habit very late, since then have been trying to pick up the pace.

My initial problem with reading was I had pretty bad vocabulary skills, and very short attention span. It's also easy to get overwhelmed by the choices available when just starting off. It get easier overtime though, once you identified the topics/writers that you like.

On another note, it's rather sad to see bookstores close downs and downsizing over the years. MPH MV, Ipoh, Borders Times Square.. all became disappointingly small. And the so called library in my hometown supermarket is a joke sleep.gif
nujikabane
post Jan 31 2013, 09:26 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

Would love to join in the discussion, if you guys don,t mind :-)

I am inclined to say that we we do not have enough distributors.

The distributors are limited; Kino, Mph, Popular.
The smaller bookstores have closed shops due to their inability to fight against the better known names.

What this mean is that the books brouht to Malaysia are determined by these distributors. They certainly go for the bestsellers and well known names, which means the number of books ain't that much.

Just my two cents observation
NicoRobinz
post Jan 31 2013, 09:33 PM

Casual
452 posts

I agree with most of the forumers said here that internet is one of the major factors. Besides that, money is another factor why I don't read books. I love reading fantasy novels but price is really turning me off.
nujikabane
post Feb 1 2013, 09:42 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

I don't think Internet is to blame.

So long as things are read, it would mean the same : reading.

Whether it is via blog, online news, forums, etc, it is also called as reading.

Reading does not need to mean only paperback/hardcover books.

If there s thing to blame, it is : FB, Twitter, and Instagram. LOL
highbury1913
post Feb 4 2013, 05:22 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Feb 1 2013, 09:42 PM)
I don't think Internet is to blame.

So long as things are read, it would mean the same : reading.

Whether it is via blog, online news, forums, etc, it is also called as reading.

Reading does not need to mean only paperback/hardcover books.

If there s thing to blame, it is : FB, Twitter, and Instagram. LOL
It really depends on WHAT you read.

NYTIMES blog - good. PerezHilton blog - bad.

Online News? Malaysiakini - good. Yahoo! OMG - bad.

Forums? Any proper forum - good. kopitiam... well, you know.

When someone says people aren't reading enough these days - they mean reading things that expand our horizon or vocabulary. Something insightful or intellectual. A stimulant. Not reading just anything. My 2sen.

This post has been edited by highbury1913: Feb 4 2013, 05:23 PM
SUSinsightone
post Mar 10 2013, 10:19 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

IMO, Internet is the main factor. Last time during my secondary school, I always read different kinds of book. But when I'm in college, my reading interest from 100% become zero.

Even when I went to bookstore, I just lost interest to read anymore. Try practising back my reading habit, but after 2 days, gone and back to Internet. I'm addicted to Internet. wink.gif
lynbabysusu
post May 26 2013, 01:58 AM

24 posts

I do read on public transport,but I do it on my device,I have both manga and fictions in it. I used to carry books around when i was younger,but it's lighter and we can "carry" more titles in it too.
duskd
post May 28 2013, 03:04 PM

1 posts

Maybe because adult Malaysians spend their time earning money and teenage + young Malaysians spend their time playing electronic games?
thericebug
post Jun 2 2013, 10:34 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(duskd @ May 28 2013, 03:04 PM)
Maybe because adult Malaysians spend their time earning money and teenage + young Malaysians spend their time playing electronic games?
Then again, Big Bad Wolf sales is so cheap!

The same price they spent for their one original game is worth 10 books or so. tongue.gif
highbury1913
post Jun 3 2013, 09:57 AM

On my way
526 posts

Is it possible we're seeing a renaissance of the reading culture in Malaysia? Recently, the Bookfest, Big Bad Wolf and MPH Distributors Sale have all been packed. I've never seen so much interest in books.
SUSagewisdom
post Jun 3 2013, 05:38 PM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Jun 3 2013, 09:57 AM)
Is it possible we're seeing a renaissance of the reading culture in Malaysia? Recently, the Bookfest, Big Bad Wolf and MPH Distributors Sale have all been packed. I've never seen so much interest in books.
Hi! Funny you should mention that. It's quite amazing to see so many people lugging away huge quantities of books via travel bags. First time I actually seen such crowds... rclxms.gif

IMHO, I think the main resurgence is due to more reasonable prices. If I remember correctly, prices used to be quite reasonable around RM30 per novel pre-1998 crisis. After the currency crisis and the weakness in the Ringgit, book prices spiked up substantially. Although an avid reader, most of the cheaper novels cost around RM45++. The more serious and self help section could easily cost about RM50-80 per book. That really put me off buying books. The BBW really rekindled my interest. All great books at very cheap prices.

However, in terms of the variety of books, I think Kinokuniya has the best selection but their prices are really expensive. Nowadays, I find it best to buy online via sites like BookDepository which delivers the book right to your doorstep but at reasonable prices.

One thing that really makes me sad is that we don't really have many good 2nd hand bookstores. It would be great if some of the Malaysiana and Asian books that are more geared to local interest were sold to 2nd hand bookstores. Trying to find some of these books are near impossible. Sure, these books might be available at Amazon UK/US but at exorbitant prices... Wonder what Malaysians do with all these precious 2nd hand books... chuck them into recycling centres? Sigh cry.gif

Oh BTW - Is your "In the Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss offer still open? blush.gif ... Tempted wink.gif

highbury1913
post Jun 3 2013, 09:08 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(agewisdom @ Jun 3 2013, 05:38 PM)

Oh BTW - Is your "In the Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss offer still open?  blush.gif  ... Tempted  wink.gif
Yes. Reply to that thread la. Give me free bump. LOL.
SUSagewisdom
post Jun 3 2013, 09:29 PM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Jun 3 2013, 09:08 PM)
Yes. Reply to that thread la. Give me free bump. LOL.
Hehe, ok... drool.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0567sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:41 PM