Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages < 1 2 3 
RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Sekolah Teknik

'stranger
post Jan 22 2009, 12:34 AM

Group: Junior Member

Hi, pardon me for interrupting this discussion. As I would like to share my piece with others. Since my school days, people kept confused sekolah teknik and sekolah vokasional.

Initially, there was only 3-4 Sekolah Teknik in Malaysia (I'm not sure, i'll get back to you later on this), 2 of them is Teknik Kuala Lumpur aka Teknik Cheras and Teknik Tuanku Jaafar, Seremban. The rest are called Sekolah Vokasional.
Sekolah Teknik only had 4 courses (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Commerce). Where they were taught all the theories and some practical concept of each fields. As what some of us have already mentioned, Sekolah Teknik offered all subjects taken by pure science student except Biology and in exchange they have to take Lukisan Kejuruteraan and Engineering studies for engineering courses, while commerce student had to take commerce subject and accounting. Sekolah teknik student do sit for SPM papers just like any other schools student with the addition of those two papers and minus biology.

Sekolah Vokasional on the other hand are taught with a lot of skill courses and involved more on practical concept. These students from vokasional will not sit for SPM instead they will sit for SPM(V) where most of their papers are not graded at the exam hall, but on the practical session itself.
So what the differences? For example, a student from Teknik will study about engine parts on text book, and may have done some practical exercise in class. But the most things they would do is dissembled and assembled all the engine parts back (no engine oil involve), maybe certain teachers will gave them the opportunity for them to have fun with REAL engine with engine oil but that’s rarely happen as they are not compulsory to do so. But, vokasional student have to deal with the real engine and get themselves dirty with engine oil as one their paper will require them to do it in front of the examiners.

And sorry (I hope I’m not offending any vokasional alumni here) they requirement for sekolah teknik is slightly higher than sekolah vokasional.

Recently (I can’t confirm this but maybe since 2000++) the government has convert all sekolah vokasional to sekolah teknik and offered all sekolah teknik courses along with vokasional courses at all sekolah vokasional. But, original sekolah teknik still ONLY offers initial teknik courses.

Now, on the advantage of sekolah teknik. I don’t know about others, but most of my batch in school had the same experience as I had, where the syllabus that sekolah teknik students learned (may I remind you TEKNIK not VOKASIONAL) for 2 years actually are topics that covered in 1st year of engineering degree courses. So if you do damn well in your school days, you can actually cope up easily on your first year in University (if you happen to take the same course you took in school ofcourse). And don’t worry about furthering your studies, as most Teknik student do end up overseas and manage to come back with 1st class degree,(then again all student from any school can achieve that also).

That’s it. And thank you reading.

p/s: for me the best Teknik is Teknik Cheras and Teknik Tuanku Jaafar Seremban.
p/s/s: sorry for the long post

This post has been edited by 'stranger: Jan 22 2009, 12:35 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages < 1 2 3
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0558sec    1.73    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:47 PM