Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies The ALIEN Movies Thread, Prometheus 2: PARADISE LOST (2017)

views

hairyLGS
post Jun 15 2010, 04:38 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

Finally - the mystery will be reveal... rclxms.gif
robertngo
post Jun 15 2010, 04:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(hairyLGS @ Jun 15 2010, 04:38 PM)
Finally - the mystery will be reveal...  rclxms.gif
why need to the reveal the mystery sad.gif , sci fi are best when there is unanwser question.
hairyLGS
post Jun 15 2010, 04:58 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(robertngo @ Jun 15 2010, 04:46 PM)
why need to the reveal the mystery  sad.gif , sci fi are best when there is unanwser question.
Aren't you curious who the space jocket is? hmm.gif
hairyLGS
post Sep 4 2010, 10:48 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

Source:- http://www.beyondhollywood.com/ridley-scot...n-prequel-news/

Ridley Scott Drops Alien Prequel News

72 year-old director Ridley Scott sat down with the Independent where he dropped a few little nuggets about his upcoming pair of “Alien” prequels.

Set 30 years before the 1979 original, so with no room for Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley, the prequels will explore the origins of the deadly aliens. “The film[s] will be really tough, really nasty,” he notes. “It’s the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?”

“Lost” co-creator Damon Lindelof is polishing the still untitled Jon Spaihts script, and the films are set to shoot back-to-back in 3D.

mysticaldodo
post Sep 4 2010, 11:22 PM

Regular
1,029 posts

About time. I love Ripley but its time she retire.

On a side note if I may, there's actually a comic short series (4 books) called ALIENS: Apocalypse The Destroying Angels which is kind of a prequel to ALIEN. The theme is similar, an ancient race playing god by creating the perfect organism which drives them and many other space faring civilizations to their own extinction. Good stuff story and visual wise. If the movie is anything like the book, its gonna be A+ thumbup.gif

Link
aiman04
post Sep 5 2010, 05:23 PM

THX-Certified Geek
2,314 posts

I'm partial to this. I love Ridley's work, but, I don't know. Do I want to know what happened to the space jockey and the derelict spaceship? I always wanted to know when I was a kid, but now I like the mystical part of the spaceship and it's origins.

These prequels will not have only one alien species then, but the jockey's as well. And this will also mean humans would already known about both species before Ripley (the AVP movies don't exist to me).
masterelr
post Sep 5 2010, 06:22 PM

Enthusiast
987 posts

What a coincidence. I just watched the first movie last week (watched parts of it when I was a kid but never the whole movie). You couldn't quite tell it was a 70's movie (could have passed as a B grade movie from this time) if it weren't for the CRT monitors. The alien still looks as terrifying as ever. Especially when it first pops out on the dinner table. Still gives me the creeps.

This post has been edited by masterelr: Sep 5 2010, 06:25 PM
QuickFire
post Sep 5 2010, 08:39 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

QUOTE(aiman04 @ Sep 5 2010, 05:23 PM)
I'm partial to this. I love Ridley's work, but, I don't know. Do I want to know what happened to the space jockey and the derelict spaceship?  I always wanted to know when I was a kid, but now I like the mystical part of the spaceship and it's origins.

These prequels will not have only one alien species then, but the jockey's as well. And this will also mean humans would already known about both species before Ripley (the AVP movies don't exist to me).
Indeed. Do we REALLY need to know all this? I'll watch the movie for sure, but at the moment I'm very skeptical of it. Ridley's recent work doesn't impress me, and all this talk about the new one being faster-paced and shot in 3D worries me.

QUOTE(masterelr @ Sep 5 2010, 06:22 PM)
What a coincidence. I just watched the first movie last week (watched parts of it when I was a kid but never the whole movie). You couldn't quite tell it was a 70's movie (could have passed as a B grade movie from this time) if it weren't for the CRT monitors. The alien still looks as terrifying as ever. Especially when it first pops out on the dinner table. Still gives me the creeps.
Totally. I love this minimalistic slowburner to bits. Okay, the alien suit looked dated (good thing you rarely see it), but that aside it hasn't aged one bit. On the other hand, Aliens clearly looks like it belongs in the 80's.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Sep 5 2010, 08:40 PM
robertngo
post Sep 5 2010, 10:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Sep 5 2010, 08:39 PM)
Indeed. Do we REALLY need to know all this? I'll watch the movie for sure, but at the moment I'm very skeptical of it. Ridley's recent work doesn't impress me, and all this talk about the new one being faster-paced and shot in 3D worries me.
if want fast paced and shot in 3D better get james cameron to do it, i want ripley to do a space horror movie like the first one.
luckykid5
post Sep 5 2010, 10:33 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

shot back to back prequels? so ridley scott planning to release 2 films huh?
robertngo
post Sep 5 2010, 10:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(masterelr @ Sep 5 2010, 06:22 PM)
the limitation of the technology actual help the movie, you rarely get a good look at the xenomorph because it is really hard to make look real with the technique available them. and ripley use the stealth of the creature make the horror much more intense.

QuickFire
post Sep 5 2010, 10:48 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(robertngo @ Sep 5 2010, 10:23 PM)
if want fast paced and shot in 3D better get james cameron to do it, i want ripley to do a space horror movie like the first one.
While I love Aliens, I feel Cameron partially destroyed what made the first Alien so terrifying by showing how easy it was to kill one with guns. So as far as I'm concerned, the only authentic Alien movie is the first. But the second makes for a superb action-horror movie, albeit one that hasn't aged well. I even like Alien3, which goes back to the roots of the first film by having only one alien stalking the victims. Too bad the direction, while slick, is too MTV-ish for an Alien movie. I wouldn't mind seeing Fincher tackle an Alien movie again, without interference from the studio.
aiman04
post Sep 5 2010, 11:11 PM

THX-Certified Geek
2,314 posts

Yup, that's another thing I'm worried. 3D needs to be shot in bright lighting, or in low light with bright flashy elements because watching in 3D will make the visual a little bit dim.

So, needless to say, Alien isn't Alien if it's there's no dark creepy scenes. But what do I know, maybe with improve technology they can make 3D work in dark scenes, maybe even enhance the creepy atmosphere. We'll see but like you guys I'm skeptical.

By the way, Alien Anthology will be released on October 26th with both theatrical & director's cut for all movies.

user posted image

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray/5090/

Alien 3 is a much improved movie with Director's Cut (or better known as Assembly Cut). And the documentary on making it will be uncut, showing David Fincher cursing the studio (FOX) on the set!

This post has been edited by aiman04: Sep 5 2010, 11:20 PM
hairyLGS
post Sep 5 2010, 11:51 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(aiman04 @ Sep 5 2010, 11:11 PM)
Yup, that's another thing I'm worried. 3D needs to be shot in bright lighting, or in low light with bright flashy elements because watching in 3D will make the visual a little bit dim.

So, needless to say, Alien isn't Alien if it's there's no dark creepy scenes. But what do I know, maybe with improve technology they can make 3D work in dark scenes, maybe even enhance the creepy atmosphere. We'll see but like you guys I'm skeptical.

By the way, Alien Anthology will be released on October 26th with both theatrical & director's cut for all movies.

user posted image

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray/5090/

Alien 3 is a much improved movie with Director's Cut (or better known as Assembly Cut). And the documentary on making it will be uncut, showing David Fincher cursing the studio (FOX) on the set!
If only I can get my hands on the Special Edition... drool.gif
aiman04
post Sep 6 2010, 02:46 AM

THX-Certified Geek
2,314 posts

QUOTE(hairyLGS @ Sep 5 2010, 11:51 PM)
If only I can get my hands on the Special Edition...  drool.gif
You mean the Limited Edition Egg:

user posted image

hairyLGS
post Sep 6 2010, 09:44 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(aiman04 @ Sep 6 2010, 02:46 AM)
You mean the Limited Edition Egg:

user posted image
Yup... only problem is... I can't seem to find anywhere that offer this set for pre-order... sweat.gif
n00b13
post Sep 6 2010, 11:35 AM

Casual
364 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Sep 5 2010, 08:39 PM)
Totally. I love this minimalistic slowburner to bits. Okay, the alien suit looked dated (good thing you rarely see it), but that aside it hasn't aged one bit. On the other hand, Aliens clearly looks like it belongs in the 80's.
Meh, I beg to differ. The only thing '80s about Aliens is the hair. Everything holds up terrifically well, especially the SFX.

The thing about Alien is that if you show it now to someone who's never seen it before, it wouldn't work as well. The whole movie depends on you not knowing what the xenomorph looks like. That effect is long gone. smile.gif

QuickFire
post Sep 6 2010, 03:25 PM

2,865 posts

The biggest culprit I think is that the sets in Aliens simply weren't very good. I'm not sure if they looked that good even when it first came out, but they damn sure don't stand the test of time. The armored personnel vehicle just looks flimsy now. The exterior shots are mostly rubbish. I don't get the feeling I'm looking at a real planet instead of a set (Alien3 got the outdoors look down in a different yet perfect way). As masterelr said, the only things that looks old in Alien are the computers and the man-in-suit Alien (it must said though, that one shot near the end where we see the Alien lying down in the escape ship and it proceeds to slowly extend and retract its inner jaw is one damn good shot, it looks really organic and somehow feels perverse). Aliens is a movie you will say "hey it looks damn good in its time". Alien is one where you say "hey it looks damn fine even now".

I dont buy that people now won't like Alien just because they know how the Alien looks like. The first alien, while being entirely about a hostile alien lifeform, was never about showing the audience said lifeform. That is why it worked so well. Aliens broke that rule and ran off with its own. It wont surprise me if the younger generation (my generation) cant appreciate a film like Alien, the same reason why it doesnt surprise me how well-loved the Transformers movies are, but show it to someone who actually knows good movies, no matter the age, and I doubt he or she wont be able to at least appreciate it. Hell, I liked Aliens a lot more than Alien when I was a kid, there was even a time when I called Alien boring. I know now I was wrong.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Sep 6 2010, 03:57 PM
hairyLGS
post Sep 8 2010, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

Source:- http://www.beyondhollywood.com/gemma-arter...-alien-prequel/

Gemma Arterton Not Meeting with Ridley Scott for Alien Prequel

user posted image

Despite previous reports from the UK tabloids/newpapers (is there really any separation there?) that had British lovely Gemma Arterton (“Prince of Persia”, “Clash of the Titans”) scheduled to meet with Ridley Scott about possibly playing the female lead in his upcoming “Alien” prequels, word from MTV via Arterton’s publicist is that the meeting was never scheduled, and that there is “no truth to that”.

Of course, this wouldn’t be the first time a celebrity’s publicist told a bold face lie, but when it comes to lying publicist versus the UK tabloids, you gotta figure the publicist wins this one hands down.

Then again, Gemma Arterton fighting off acid-spewing aliens would be kinda hot, in a, “Wow, that’s very unexpected, but I’m so turned on anyway” kinda way…

kobe8byrant
post Sep 8 2010, 12:51 AM

I'm too old for this stuff
All Stars
12,275 posts

The only reason I don't want the Aliens boxset is because I'm OCD with my film arrangements. I wouldn't be able to stand the fact I paid such and such an amount on a limited edition egg set which is labelled as the complete anthology when few years down the line, I will get another COMPLETER version of the franchise. This time with Gemma Arterton's pubic hair as a memorabilia. mad.gif

31 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0242sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:43 PM