Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

49 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Original, AP Set & Water Set V2k, Buying Handphones? What should I Do?

views

TSyoungkies
post Nov 26 2008, 10:39 PM, updated 16y ago

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
VIP
9,511 posts

Continuation from Ori and AP set V1 by akina81

Information was last updated by Oct 2007

Original Set
- Nokia authorized distributors are Zitron, Avaxx and i-Mobile.
- Sony Ericsson authorized distributors are T-Choice, Grandtech, Midlands and Thorus.
- First Mobile Group (FMG) is the main distributor of Samsung phones.
- FMG is giving 18 months warranty.
- Motorola authorized distributor are Satellite Technics, Zitron and MDM.
- Siemens authorized distributors are Zitron and FMG.
- Panasonic's authorized distributor is Zitron.
- LG's authorized distributor is Zitron.
- u can service your phone at any service centres (Nokia Professional Centre, Sony Ericsson Certified Service Centres...)
- 1 year warranty for the full set including charger, battery, handsfree.
- genuine parts are used for repairing.

AP Set
- Approval Products
- mainly imported from oversea and sell it to the consumers.
- AP set warranty by companies such as Final Choice, CSL, Nefion, Telstra, GTMax...etc
- 1 year warranty for the phone and 1 month for the accessories like charger, battery, handsfree.
- u must bring your phone back to the place u bought the phone for servicing.

Water Set
- Stolen / Brought in / Bought from oversea without paying tax also getting approval from SIRIM. Considered as Illegal. Mostly brought in by student studying oversea.
- Phones can be brought in from oversea by anyone under household personal effect, which means they aer not for commercial purpose. But when they are brought in under that effect, but ended up for commercial purpose, then the phone is considered illegal to be sold, known as "waterset".

Identify Original and AP Set
- take out the phone case and battery.
- original set comes with authorized company sticker (Zitron, Avaxx, T-Choice, Midland...)
- AP set comes with AP company sticker (Final Choice...)
- press *#06# to check the phone 15 digit serial number (IMEI).
- compare it with the IMEI written on phone sticker (back of phone case) and package box sticker.
- for original set, these serial numbers are the same.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by youngkies: Nov 26 2008, 11:01 PM
TSyoungkies
post Nov 26 2008, 10:57 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
VIP
9,511 posts

Quoted for truth/facts from previous thread. Just a few examples of them. If you want to understand intensively, read all 120+ pages of V1 thread, and a Master you will be. These quotes are gathered from page 1-4 and last page of previous thread. Can't be bothered to go through all the pages by myself again. Credits to the member of those posts.

QUOTE(Shezzar @ Jul 25 2004, 11:11 AM)
If you have an AP set with Vodafone or T-Mobile logo, it means that your phone might be locked. Those Vodafone or T-Mobile are the service operators in the UK and that's where the phones come from. Not all AP sets have the logo. AP sets are Approved Products which means that these products are certified by sirim that your product is safe to use.

In other words, AP product not brought in by the authorised distributor like Midland, T-Choice for SE, Avaxx or Zitron for Nokia, FMG for Samsung and etc. The phones can even come from Singapore and may even have the M1, Singtel or Starhub logo. Remember to check the phone if it is locked especially those from Singapore and Vodafone.

QUOTE(graffika @ Jul 25 2004, 11:02 PM)
AP sets has different level of QC. Big AP companies like Final Choice, GTMAX, Nefion, Telstra, O'Connors have extensive QC checks. Others like MSL, YS, PLANTRONICS or names not mentioned above, are slightly cheaper than the above. Whether they replaced their parts with other stuff, its another question.

QUOTE(ikarishinji @ Jul 26 2004, 07:01 PM)
AP set actually pay government tax but is juz that they are not taxed by the Local Authorised Dealer. AP set is normally distributed by small handphones companies and they might stop business anytime.
Futhermore if there's major damage on your AP set, the AP companies might not have enough equiptment to fix it. At the end, they still have to send it to the authorized dealer (eg. Zitron, Avaxx).

There are recon set might be known as water set, so beware while you buying.
Recon set are second hand handphones from overseas, they juz change the phone cover (might not be original cover) and do some servicing inside and sell it as an AP set with warranty 1 year summore. As I know FMG will not fix phones other than FMG warranty handset (even they are paid they will not fix)

QUOTE(marquis @ Feb 19 2006, 08:03 PM)
Like what everyone else have said, a phone without a sirim sticker is considered as illegal and thus cannot be sold here. But I'm gonna assume that if the phone is not available here, it should be better. And besides, if you bought the phone from overseas and bring it back here to use, don't tell me it would be illegal to use it right?

Speaking of buying a waterset from a shop, they might say that you did not inspect it properly before buying and thus you are at fault. So yeah guys, if you wanna buy a phone, do yourselves a favor and do these few things:

Check for sirim sticker (this is a MUST. Everyone should know this).
Cross check IMEI numbers on the phone and the box
Ask for warranty card.
Ask if the warranty card needs to be sent to wherever necessary.
Check all the features of the phone (iow, play with the phone, make sure everything is working).
Check for dead pixels.
Check the firmware if possible (*#0000# for most nokias). This way, you can check if it's old stock or not.
And of course, make sure you get the propper set. As in nothing missing like the handsfree and stuff.

Sorry, deviated a bit from what is a waterset, but really, people should know these stuff to avoid getting cheated.

Btw, watersets are usually sold without accesories, only phone and charger. So sometimes if you add up buying the accesories elsewhere, it might cost near the same as buying a proper set
QUOTE(akina81 @ Mar 24 2004, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE(akina81 @ May 9 2004, 09:19 AM)
AP set might use compatible (non-original) replacement parts, charger and battery.
QUOTE(wiNd @ May 17 2004, 10:14 AM)
AP set is approved products. usually its taken in from other countries which is much more cheaper than the local authorized set.
QUOTE(Shezzar @ Jul 25 2004, 11:11 AM)
is your question suppose to be "does all AP set have that logo?"

well if thats your question, than not really...though if you have an AP set with that logo, it might make your fone look cooler, but on the other hand, cud mean that your fone might be locked...those t-mobile and vodafone are just the service operators in the UK and theres where the fones come from....another thing is...not all AP sets have the logo...AP sets just means Approved Products which means that these products are certified by sirim that your product is safe to use...

in other words, AP product just means products that is not brought in by the authorised distributor like Midland, T-Choice for SE, Avaxx or Zitron for Nokia, FMG for samsung and etc. the fones can even come from Singapore and may even have the M1, Singtel or Starhub logo...so its not necessary that all AP sets will have a logo...some may have some dont...if they have, remember to check the fone if it is locked esspecially those from singapore and vodafone.
QUOTE(graffika @ Jul 25 2004, 11:02 PM)
neway just to add on..

AP sets has different level of QC. (big ap fellas like F.Choice/GTMAX/Nefion/Telstra/OConnors) have extensive QC checks.

Others like MSL/YS/PLANTRONICS or names not mentioned above, are slightly cheaper than the above....whether they replaced their parts with other stuff..its another question.

U dont see much different in nokias BUT for samsung it is .. 6 months diffference in warranty...imagine lcd damage after 1 year (for AP) ..
QUOTE(sonyclie77 @ Sep 5 2004, 01:08 AM)
AP set just different warranty from authorised set.
QUOTE(sonyclie77 @ Oct 28 2004, 07:47 PM)
Upgrading means the upgrading of the phone's firmware. AP sets can be upgraded as well, but you need to pay each time you upgrade.

No, AP sets and Ori sets most probably use Original accessories, unless some dishonest sellers changed them.

Price is different because of the warranty. If there's anything wrong with your phone, ie dead pixel, motherboard fried or LCD went dead, you can change it FOC if you're having an Ori set within the warranty period. But if AP set, you most prob have to pay for the repairs. And mind you, these arent't cheap. Therefore its advisable to get Ori even though you're paying a little more, its for the peace of mind.
QUOTE(youngkies @ Aug 18 2007 @ 01:21 AM)
easier way is, anything (sticker / warranty company) other than t-choice, thorus and midlands are not original.

international warranty? not really. you wont be covered if your phone go out of the country, so as other country set wont be covered in malaysia service centre too. example: ori singapore set in malaysia = waterset, not covered. so international warranty, i dont think so. though some phone in other country is covered in other country (i.e. European)

QUOTE(idoblu @ Nov 21 2008, 09:19 AM)
This is my experience from just having bought two Nokia phones within a week. One Original and one AP set.

AP SET
1. the box IMEI doesnt tally with the Phone's IMEI
2. the accessories like charger and battery does not have the Nokia Original sticker but the battery still has the 3D hologram. whether these are original or not is questionable. You can buy these types of accessories from Lowyat at a much lower price than the real original accessories. And my feeling is that these lower price item are being used.
3. if your phone comes with additional covers, the colours may not match the original set as intended.
4. if your headset, battery or charger is spoil, you must take it back and exchange from the dealer you bought it from and not from the AP distributor workshop. The AP workshop only warrants the phone itself. This also leads me to believe that the AP company only sells the phones itself to the dealers and not the accessories which is sourced by the dealers themselves. You draw your own conclusion from this.
5. different AP distributors will have different set of rules and also different length of warranty
6. AP set still have the KELAS Sirim sticker. It will also have the AP distributor cum "date sold" sticker.

So if your question is "should I buy AP or Original" -
1. it depends on how much savings - if a lot of difference then its worth it. If save RM100 or RM200, I think not worth it.
2. if you care about whether the battery or charger is original or not and worth the savings from the difference in price
3. if you are located in Klang Valley or outstation - this because most AP workshop are in the Klang Valley so imagine the trouble of sending your set back only to discover that the charger is not working. Then need to send the charger to the dealer. All these can be quite troublesome and the risk of losing your phone thru the mail system.

This note on how to tell if your Nokia is an Original or not -
Click THIS to see the picture.
This post has been edited by youngkies: Nov 26 2008, 11:14 PM
TSyoungkies
post Nov 26 2008, 11:16 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
VIP
9,511 posts

Reserved. Coming soon: the guidelines to hitchhiker's guide to the the galaxy. no kidding. Step by step guide from going into the market til bring it home to charging. if i am hardworking enough

meanwhile i am lazy, read this instead for the time being: Buying a New or Used Set? ¬credit to jcts87

This post has been edited by youngkies: Nov 26 2008, 11:25 PM
TSyoungkies
post Nov 26 2008, 11:19 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
VIP
9,511 posts

Open for further discussion and questions.

And if your question gone unanswered in this thread. Drop me a pm and I shall try my best to answer. wub.gif wub.gif

This post has been edited by youngkies: Nov 26 2008, 11:20 PM
hanieyf
post Nov 27 2008, 12:14 AM

X-alienware m17x soldiers
1,698 posts

demmm..good thread, should list the best AP company too..
AskarPerang
post Nov 27 2008, 06:18 AM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,145 posts

CSL is the best AP company but the price is high as original tho.
ah liew
post Nov 27 2008, 12:26 PM

エンジンオイル
829 posts

i never trusted AP set & i always buy original but original always defective as well. lucky it's under waranty. Nokia 6280 - damn lousy phone.
chicaman
post Nov 27 2008, 02:47 PM

( ;゚Д゚) t(-.-t)
9,651 posts

QUOTE(ah liew @ Nov 27 2008, 12:26 PM)
i never trusted AP set & i always buy original but original always defective as well. lucky it's under waranty. Nokia 6280 - damn lousy phone.
I used 6280 and 6288 and no problem with the phone at all smile.gif
zamgh
post Nov 27 2008, 10:53 PM

18 posts

Somebody want to sell me secondhand hp. She said it is a ZITRON set but bought in Singapore.... and can claim warranty in Malaysia. Can i believe her or not? But the phone damn cheap...
AskarPerang
post Nov 27 2008, 11:00 PM

~tUPaI...~
All Stars
23,145 posts

nope it can't be true...warranty only can claim in singapore
acaizegrete
post Nov 28 2008, 02:59 PM

43 posts

hi.. anybody had +ve or -ve pn AP company?...

since has a lot of AP company now.. which is good and which is so-so...

in terms of service centre availability... and customer service also..

newbie.. planning to buy new phone.. but cant decide which AP company...

thanx.. guys..
zamanjaafar
post Nov 29 2008, 05:39 AM

NOT DUPIN' SINCE '03
1,122 posts

few questions :

1-why does AP sets when imported seem to separate the phone from original box as the IMEI is diffferent? Whats wrong with importing it whole box?

2-does AP companies charge for update firmware WITHIN warranty?

3-For off warranty repair, spare parts for AP repair is more expensive than Authorized distro's. True or False?

4-How many percentage of AP sets change the original accessories in the package content to compatible ones?

5-The chances of buying AP and getting second hand/refurbish sets is ZERO if bought from well known and established sellers (with dedicated threads, long trading history, not one off sales)in LYN Garage Sales. True or False?

6-More than 50% of handphone users i know buy AP sets. True or False?

Thanks for ur time, i appreciate it if u can clear my doubts

This post has been edited by zamanjaafar: Nov 29 2008, 05:39 AM
ibnibrahizarmd
post Nov 29 2008, 08:12 PM

41 posts

I have a doubt n need help n opinions.

Recently, I've bought a night black C905 ap set (GBS). It has KELAS n ap company stcker while the battery has SE hologram. When I crosschecked the IMEI number at the phone, it's tally with the IMEI no at the box! So, what's your opinion about this? Is GBS is a good n reliable ap set company?
syuk
post Nov 30 2008, 04:38 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

hye, i wan to ask here, i have 1 ori brightstar v8, did anyone know what is covered by the warranty?
did the casing also covered by the warranty??
because the back rubber abit peel out lor?? mad.gif
can i get new casing for free rclxms.gif anyone know??
nothing_nth
post Dec 2 2008, 11:32 AM

no stars
2,408 posts

wow ...
long time no come LYN ad V2 jor...
nice
reen_man
post Dec 4 2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts

hi..i want to ask something about the phone i just buy last week from internet. i really confius rite now.
i buy SE w350i with vodafone logo from this seller. at first i really satisfied with the product, but few days ago i try to check from handphone shop about the either its ap set @ water set. they do service test and it come out blank. they show me the different between ap set. i also check from the box and phone, the serial number is different.
i argue with the seller because i think he try to cheat. then, he totally said i misunderstood and handphone shop's man was cheating.
please help me to solve this problem..
firstbread2794
post Dec 5 2008, 08:08 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

List of distributors for Sony Ericsson phones[AP] please.

Thanks
Tan Guan Yeu
post Dec 9 2008, 04:39 AM

Getting Started
146 posts

AP So easy to Faulty. sad.gif so, R u Original icon_rolleyes.gif
ikan_semilang
post Dec 9 2008, 09:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,503 posts

Mine bought SE W800i ori from T Choice but not until 1 years, my rubber joystick already missing. Now my hp sometimes off by itself, camera don't function anymore, housing crack....
Tan Guan Yeu
post Dec 9 2008, 05:17 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(ikan_semilang @ Dec 9 2008, 09:31 AM)
Mine bought SE W800i ori from T Choice but not until 1 years, my rubber joystick already missing. Now my hp sometimes off by itself, camera don't function anymore, housing crack....
Bro u so unlucky! But Joystick like w800i and k750 Ap or Ori Also will fauty in 1 years. If u buy Touchscreen Phone XPERIA Or w960i Prefer to buy ori set. AP Or Water Set Touch Point easy got problem.

49 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0239sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:27 PM