22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

SVS subwoofer, How many users here? Just courious

views

htkaki
post May 22 2009, 05:52 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

I could only go for PC-12Plus as the PC-13Ultra is a bit too much for my peasant wallet.

Maybe one of my friends will go for this gem.
htkaki
post May 22 2009, 11:27 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

Rather quiet as there are only a handful of owners only.

I shall try my very best to increase the SVS owners in Malaysia. *adding poison*
htkaki
post May 23 2009, 06:56 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(dirtrun @ May 23 2009, 01:18 PM)
For HT,

Its one of de best value for money subs, u can get..

Nope, not sold in Sg B & M shops but you'll be surprised how many SvS's there are in the small isle..

Experience it ah.. in KL , I know of at least 2 owners, bound to be more..

Cheers
Dirtrun
Near future owner of PC-12Plus reporting in blush.gif
htkaki
post May 28 2009, 11:39 AM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(dirtrun @ May 24 2009, 10:59 AM)
Eh bro,

I tot u went wif a velodyne??

Regards
Dirtrun
Yes, indeed I did. It's a CHT-12R. I went and auditioned my friend's SPL-1200R. CHT-12R is miles behind. Aint fair to compare it in this way. I know.

I am upgrading my 7mths+ old CHT-12R to SVS since I have heard and read too many good reviews about it. Here's one of the review :

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/svs_pc12_plus.htm

Even UK Mag also gave excellent review (very rare for US products). I chat with my friend (as he is very knowledgable in this since he has auditioned many subwoofers including F113). He told me that his SPL-1200R would be no match to PC-12Plus. Apart from these factors, I am quite curious about its ability to go sub-sonic (20Hz and below) since not many (or none) mid-range priced sub can do it.

Once it is here by mid next week, I shall do a thorough review, including a comparison between CHT-12R (definitely 'squashes' Velo with ease) and SPL-1200R.
htkaki
post May 29 2009, 04:04 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(dirtrun @ May 28 2009, 12:32 PM)
Hi..

No offence to Velodyne lovers but when it(svs) first came out, there were alrdy fans quotin how gud it was compared to Velodynes n Paradigms of de same caliber.. of cos initially u could say it was jus fanboys blowin their horn but if more n more were made 'converts' .. there has to be sumtin goin for it..

If u can afford it, de ultra would be de ultimate-once-in-a-purchase sub.. u prbbly would not upgrade it again until it konks or if u give up de hobby.. I only know of ultra upgraders is when they add another.. but ya real life dictates us to look for wat we can afford n like me ( n dare I say similarly like you..)  a midrange plus is plenty gud  alrdy..

Anyway.. gud choice n lookin forward to ur detailed review..

Regards
Dirtrun
Dirtrun,

That's one of the main reason I tk the plunge and ordered it. I read that even the SPL-1200R/Ultra is no match to PC-12Plus. I am going to find it out on next Saturday. I did a check on the PC-12plus and PC-13Ultra graph. It is a tall order to acheive such a good output.

I wonder one of my friend still have the Paradigm Servo 15 for me to do a shootout. My SPL meter is ready. MPV on standby. Acoustic foams on the way. Cable and cord also standing by. Money on standby to pay hefty tax. Now, the long wait til next Thur/Fri for the arrival.

htkaki
post May 29 2009, 05:41 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(poison arrow @ May 29 2009, 05:02 PM)
bro HTkaki,

so you are getting the SVS direct from States? cool.......
Tax can be negotiate if you personally go to the Custom's office next to ( where Air Asia base airport ) in Sepang.
rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
I didn't know that blush.gif Thanks a lot for the info.

Yes, direct from US.
htkaki
post May 31 2009, 08:17 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

Dirtrun,

Yeah, looking forward to lay my hands on it. Still 5 days to go.

Anyway, I might be reserving my review on this thread only and not on 'Home Entertainment' as a newbie when near 'berserk' with few members' posting and my supposingly gathering. LOL....

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1037424/+280

Added on June 3, 2009, 9:57 pmUpdate :

user posted image

This post has been edited by htkaki: Jun 3 2009, 09:57 PM
htkaki
post Jun 18 2009, 09:01 AM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(megatron007 @ Jun 18 2009, 12:38 AM)
maybe me?

or shall i said mpyw first? biggrin.gif
I'd a quite lenghty chat wt mpyw at his workplace yesterday. Even with the box unit, he is afraid of WAF as it is one gigantic box.

Current Velo owners and soon-to-be SVS owners:

robinlim
kiam
not sure what sub is chinmh is using.
megatron007

htkaki
post Jun 18 2009, 11:24 AM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

Boss, your next sub after NSD have to be 12Plus or 13Ultra.
htkaki
post Jun 18 2009, 03:37 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

I have yet to 100% test my PC-12Plus under 'sealed' sub setting. Just tested it briefly. As the volume is big, I guess it wouldn't do any justice for music.
htkaki
post Jun 18 2009, 10:41 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(HornyAngMoh @ Jun 18 2009, 06:17 PM)
Good! U can 'up-grade' ur 6003 to...............May I suggest Malas Av8003 mate with MM8003 or Onkyo 906 or Denon AVP-A1HDA mate with POA-A1HD or Denon AVC-A1HDA. All very chun avr for ur elite spk!  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
After u have up-grade pls don't forget to sell me ur 6003 cheap cheap. rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
These Denon cost more than a Plotong Persona. If buy this, better pair it up with >RM100K spkrs setup sweat.gif
htkaki
post Jun 19 2009, 04:15 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(jwyj @ Jun 19 2009, 12:37 PM)
How about 2 pieces of NSD on each corner of the room?  smile.gif  Try first.
I think my room is too small for PC-12+, but later who knows.

Pieces 2
Weight 54.4 K
18-Jun-2009  0555  2  Arrived  Chicago/O~hare Airport, IL, US 
18-Jun-2009  0045  2  Departed  Cleveland, OH, US 
17-Jun-2009  2226  2  Scanned  Cleveland, OH, US 
17-Jun-2009  1549  2  Shipment Labeled  Cleveland, OH, US 
17-Jun-2009  2  Youngstown, OH

They are on the way, hope to received them sometime next week. Htkaki say I may received them on monday??
Boss, PC-12Plus is slightly bigger than PC-12NSD only. So, it shouldn't pose much of a problem for your room.

If your subbies depart from US tonight. It will transit in Korea and the to Malaysia. So, it will reach here by Monday.

If successful, we may have a mini MO to Miri. See if we can joined htkaki's to have split delivery.  Let's check if some of our friends want them

This would be the last MO. wink.gif
htkaki
post Jun 19 2009, 04:50 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(lightning69 @ Jun 19 2009, 04:46 PM)
cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif why is svs treating me like this? cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif
I guess the problem lies in the logistics company that they are using. As you mentioend earlier, they need tocheck with the logistic company on the arrnegment to Borneo, which might be more expensive.

SVS service has been good thumbup.gif . I have some minor hiccups with the logistics company while getting my SVS.
htkaki
post Jun 19 2009, 05:31 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(lightning69 @ Jun 19 2009, 05:20 PM)
He send d2d to Miri.  I'm thinking of going for the plus now!
Wise choice thumbup.gif

I hope to get my MO quote tomorrow. Need to settle it fast
htkaki
post Jun 20 2009, 08:45 AM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

Ed Mullen joined SVS in 2006 to head a separate new Directorate of SVS Customer Service. He was a much respected reviewer.

htkaki
post Jun 20 2009, 05:46 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

lightning, you wont since it is abt 6am , Sat there. Probably Mon night or Tues.

The funny thing about SVS subs (I've heard two different models now - the sonic signature is very similar) is that your initial impression will be "where did all that boomy mid bass go?". These subs are very flat through the mid bass range (60-30) with none of the usual emphasis at 35-40 Hz that many sub makers deliberately build in to hide the fact that their subs have no real bottom end. This lack of mid bass bloom allows the sub to blend beautifully with the mains and it remains very neutral and undetected until the source material calls for it.

This is what I like about my PC-12Plus. Flat with no 'spike' unlike my CHT-12R. Beautiful!
htkaki
post Jun 21 2009, 01:33 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(s6xs9x @ Jun 21 2009, 11:10 AM)

This was what I heard when I bought back my sub.
I was like "WTH" why doesn't it rumble and shake the whole house.
Don't worry about it, such a fussy person like me .. you'll love it by time.

It's like in camouflage, you're not sure if it's running or not and it'll just surprise you when it kicks in.
I guess when the source wants you to really feel it, you will.
That's why everyone looking for a flat response curve in a sub. The sub really did 'disappear'. I am glad that you finally got it after many calls, e-mails and frantic SOS signals wink.gif

lightning69, not trying to poison you. But, CHT-12R will be blown miles apart by PC-12Plus (not a fair comparison, I knew). SPL-1200R is near it but still can dig the low enough with tight bass.

htkaki
post Jun 21 2009, 05:17 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

maja_5365 & izmel_s jz left. They came to audition the PC-12Plus. Poisoned 2 more members blush.gif

kiam you are on my priority list (I mean 'to poison' list) tongue.gif
htkaki
post Jun 21 2009, 10:01 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

SVS has been an advertiser at Audioholics for some time. We like their products and continute to believe they make some of the cheapest subs out there with a good "bang for the buck" factor. Regardless of not allowing them to advertise, this has nothing to do with them as a manuafacturer.

As a company, however, their marketing methods have gotten out of control - at least on our site. If you'll notice, there is likely not a single subwoofer thread on this forum that doesn't have people talking about SVS. There is a reason for this and it has to do with the marketing methods of SVS as a company. They freely admitted to us that forum participation of their staff and SVS owners is the driving force behind their marketing strategy. This is actually kind of intelligent - until it is abused.

Not a problem to me since it is a 'marketing' issue (as in itallic). As long s they produce 'bang for buck' sub (as in bold).

Come to think of it, almost everywhere is the same with one company claiming their products are excellence over competitors wink.gif

As in a popular UK Mag, it is very bias (as most of us know). So, shall we ban the mags? No, right? Just tk it with a pinch of salt and move on smile.gif Buy what you believe that gives the most value for your $$$$. I might be wrong or maybe many would disagree with me. That's why we have differences.

Cheers smile.gif
htkaki
post Jun 22 2009, 03:59 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

QUOTE(mys_terious @ Jun 22 2009, 12:03 PM)
what surprised me most was i saw a forum with Dr.hsu and SVS arguing big time over whose sub design is better...  just couldnt find that thread again.. it was very fun to read hehe.. i have seen diff speakers designers talking in the same forum but not arguing there... kind of like it smile.gif
Everybody tryong to get a piece of the pie in difficult time tongue.gif

As it seems, it is very 'chinaman' style of doing business laugh.gif To me, I couldn;t nother much about this debate or whatever mktg tricks as long as the products are good. After all, I am the one who is going to enjoy icon_rolleyes.gif

22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0649sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:50 AM