Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Where to buy vintage video game systems?, I'm an old school gamer..

views

TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 16 2008, 06:36 PM, updated 16y ago

13 posts

Hi guys, Would appreciate if any of you come across any shop here in KL / Selangor that sells vintage old school consoles/handhelds of the 80s and 90s. I'm particularly looking out for old Famicoms, Megadrives, Super Famicom, Gameboy (1989 white brick), GameGear, NeoGeo AES, Jaguar, PCEngine, Sega MasterSystem, etc..

I doubt there's any around here, but I may be wrong..

Thanks for your time. Please do not forget the good old gaming days.. Time spent with your (most probably clone) famicoms back in the school days... smile.gif
gundamalpha
post Sep 16 2008, 06:58 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

No, not locally. You must get them from overseas in most cases. I do have some extras, but only SNES is pre 32bit era, the rest all starts from the 32bit era.
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 16 2008, 07:06 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 16 2008, 06:58 PM)
No, not locally. You must get them from overseas in most cases. I do have some extras, but only SNES is pre 32bit era, the rest all starts from the 32bit era.
Cool. Thanks.
Faidzal
post Sep 17 2008, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
240 posts

If you go to residential areas, some toyshops have Made in China Sega MegaDrive/Genesis clones for sale at around RM50-RM100.

But for the real stuff, you have to go to ebay. Sometimes, these classic consoles cost more than new PS2/PS3 games!
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 17 2008, 09:40 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(Faidzal @ Sep 17 2008, 12:19 AM)
If you go to residential areas, some toyshops have Made in China Sega MegaDrive/Genesis clones for sale at around RM50-RM100.

But for the real stuff, you have to go to ebay. Sometimes, these classic consoles cost more than new PS2/PS3 games!
That's the idea bro. Some are fetching for premium collector's price tag.
I just won a boxed Gameboy light from Japan! Thanks for your reply.

Anyways, if there are any collectors of similar interest, feel free to intro yourself here. smile.gif

gundamalpha
post Sep 17 2008, 11:41 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

You can see my collection here, http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry17776863, post #1694.
trogdor1oh1
post Sep 19 2008, 05:09 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

i've seen most places with nes(usually famicom,but whatever) knockoffs,going by the names of "pokegame","spider game","poly station",the works.
basically they use orange cartridges and have controllers with plugs that are similar to the genesis.

as for the megadrive,there's a shop in tesco at mutiara damansara(near the curve,cineleisure,etc) that sells a sega megadrive(pal,not japanese.good news for me because i lived in england and have pal games).
i tried it and apparently the mega drive they gave me wasn't very good,sonic 3D had really bad music(it's good music,just sounded bad) and the controller they supplied was really iffy.
times like those that make me wish i had the arcade controller back.but alas,i have made my move to the xbox 360 sad.gif
gundamalpha
post Sep 19 2008, 06:59 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

There are so many Mega Drives scattered around UK, better buy from there. If you are still in UK, there are many sources of retro games.
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 20 2008, 02:13 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 17 2008, 11:41 PM)
You can see my collection here, http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry17776863, post #1694.
Wow! Very impressive collection there bro! Envy you.. Is that the Super Famicom with the infamous UFO addon? You even have the PC Engine DUO R
.. Badass..

Would you recommend me getting a PC engine? I once thought about getting the PC Engine GT, but soon heard that the display of it isn't that great and that the graphics are squashed to fit to the tiny screen.. It's rather expensive now cause not many units survived. Many suffered from broken internal speaker and dead pixels..

Added on September 20, 2008, 2:15 am
QUOTE(trogdor1oh1 @ Sep 19 2008, 05:09 PM)
i've seen most places with nes(usually famicom,but whatever) knockoffs,going by the names of "pokegame","spider game","poly station",the works.
basically they use orange cartridges and have controllers with plugs that are similar to the genesis.

as for the megadrive,there's a shop in tesco at mutiara damansara(near the curve,cineleisure,etc) that sells a sega megadrive(pal,not japanese.good news for me because i lived in england and have pal games).
i tried it and apparently the mega drive they gave me wasn't very good,sonic 3D had really bad music(it's good music,just sounded bad) and the controller they supplied was really iffy.
times like those that make me wish i had the arcade controller back.but alas,i have made my move to the xbox 360 sad.gif
Aww.. looks like you bought a not so perfect unit. Well ya, since you are there, would be a good opportunity to scout a decent one there. May I know how much you paid for the Megadrive here?

Have you guys heard or seen a Nintendo GameBoy Light here in Malaysia before?

This post has been edited by PhatPhunk: Sep 20 2008, 02:15 AM
gundamalpha
post Sep 20 2008, 10:07 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(PhatPhunk @ Sep 20 2008, 02:13 AM)
Wow! Very impressive collection there bro! Envy you.. Is that the Super Famicom with the infamous UFO addon? You even have the PC Engine DUO R
.. Badass..

Would you recommend me getting a PC engine? I once thought about getting the PC Engine GT, but soon heard that the display of it isn't that great and that the graphics are squashed to fit to the tiny screen.. It's rather expensive now cause not many units survived. Many suffered from broken internal speaker and dead pixels..

Added on September 20, 2008, 2:15 am

Aww.. looks like you bought a not so perfect unit. Well ya, since you are there, would be a good opportunity to scout a decent one there. May I know how much you paid for the Megadrive here?

Have you guys heard or seen a Nintendo GameBoy Light here in Malaysia before?
I'm not sure what to say about the PC Engine.. I can see why it was popular in Japan back then, but most of the games aged terribly. I only play 2 games on it now, Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder, the rest I hardly if ever touch.

I had a Gameboy Light before, gold color one bought locally. But either my sister or I lost it, can't remember cry.gif
xphossis
post Sep 20 2008, 10:12 AM

Me Gusta!
878 posts

Do u think it's still possible to get my hands on a GameGear now?

I got lotsa games lying around but the GG is not working anymore sad.gif

Anyone wants them?
gundamalpha
post Sep 20 2008, 10:15 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

QUOTE(xphossis @ Sep 20 2008, 10:12 AM)
Do u think it's still possible to get my hands on a GameGear now?

I got lotsa games lying around but the GG is not working anymore sad.gif

Anyone wants them?
I just bought my 3rd GG early this year laugh.gif Are you giving away the games for free? brows.gif
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 20 2008, 11:43 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 20 2008, 10:15 AM)
I just bought my 3rd GG early this year   laugh.gif Are you giving away the games for free? brows.gif
Wholly crap! The Sega GameGear!! I used to have one too. That was my one and only portable console i have. It died with a white screen of death.. Arghh.. I'd like to get one too.. Together with the TV Tuner. I think it's hard to find a unit here.. Hey guys, I just recalled, maybe you can find something in Cash Converters? Few years back when I wasn't into this console collecting fever, I saw a used GG and GB there.. I'm not sure if they still have it there tho..

Added on September 20, 2008, 11:50 am
QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 20 2008, 10:07 AM)
I'm not sure what to say about the PC Engine.. I can see why it was popular in Japan back then, but most of the games aged terribly. I only play 2 games on it now, Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder, the rest I hardly if ever touch.

I had a Gameboy Light before, gold color one bought locally. But either my sister or I lost it, can't remember  cry.gif
I see. From what I know PC Engine had lotsa good shooters. Like R-Type or SideArms. Adventure stuffs like PC Engine Genjin (Bonk Adventures), Oh yeah, and the rare Castlevania which was released in Super CD rom format.. Not to mention also the excellent port of Street Fighter II...

Gosh.. Makes me wanna go out and buy the DUO.. tongue.gif

The Gameboy Light was only released in Japan, and I think some of our grey importers here managed to bring in a few units back then. Its now considered a rare item.. especially one that still comes with the original box and paperwork..

I just bought one on eBay (For a good price) and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it!!! *Waits patiently for it's arrival..

Have you guys heard about the White GameGear? Which comes in a suitcase? Its a complete kit together with matching TV Tuner and Batt Charger. It's SUPER rare. And I saw it in Penang many many years ago...

This post has been edited by PhatPhunk: Sep 20 2008, 11:50 AM
gundamalpha
post Sep 20 2008, 11:57 AM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

I hate you PhatPhunk, you made me itching to buy more retro games now.. Must resist.. tempta.. tions..
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 20 2008, 02:58 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 20 2008, 11:57 AM)
I hate you PhatPhunk, you made me itching to buy more retro games now.. Must resist.. tempta.. tions..
LOL.. Sorry man. Can't help it.. Least you've got some already there. I think the only retro console I have at the moment is the Atari Lynx. Pretty solid piece of shit if you ask me. 8 Bit CPU with 16 Bit GPU.. Pretty nifty.. smile.gif

I've got many other things I'd like to get as well.. Sigh.. Money IS the problem..
gundamalpha
post Sep 20 2008, 05:17 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

I noticed you mentioned Neo Geo AES, would you be interested in Neo Geo MVS instead? It's cheaper than AES in the long run for sure and that's the reason why I choose the latter.
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 20 2008, 07:16 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(gundamalpha @ Sep 20 2008, 05:17 PM)
I noticed you mentioned Neo Geo AES, would you be interested in Neo Geo MVS instead? It's cheaper than AES in the long run for sure and that's the reason why I choose the latter.
Hey there.. I've heard of MVS, but I thought it's some arcade motherboard. I know that MVS carts can be now played on AES systems by way of a converter.. (I think it's called Phantom 1 or something) The MVS carts are of course less pretty looking but definitely super cheap...

I've come across ppl selling the MVS 1 Slot JAMMA motherboards on eBay.. Those are just raw motherboards right?

You are pretty luck to own the NeoGeo CDZ.. I heard it's damn rare..
3rotor
post Sep 20 2008, 07:24 PM

27 posts

wow a retro gamers thread, i've been collecting retro consoles and games for few years now, i can say the best place to source for good condition old consoles is from the internet, especially when you are looking for complete boxed set, you may find loose unit in some local game shops if you are lucky, but the chances are very slim.

to gundamalpha, may i know how much would a working mvs board cost ? and what mod is necessary to make it work with normal tv?

This post has been edited by 3rotor: Sep 20 2008, 07:26 PM
TSPhatPhunk
post Sep 20 2008, 07:35 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(3rotor @ Sep 20 2008, 07:24 PM)
wow a retro gamers thread, i've been collecting retro consoles and games for few years now, i can say the best place to source for good condition old consoles is from the internet, especially when you are looking for complete boxed set, you may find loose unit in some local game shops if you are lucky, but the chances are very slim.

to gundamalpha, may i know how much would a working mvs board cost ? and what mod is necessary to make it work with normal tv?
Hey man.. Welcome abroad!.. Mind sharing with us your current collection? Any pixies? rolleyes.gif
gundamalpha
post Sep 20 2008, 08:09 PM

☆彡TITS☆彡
1,450 posts

Why don't you post yours first PhatPhunk? smile.gif

What you normally see on ebay are arcade boards, meaning you need a JAMMA compatible arcade cabinet to play it. I have one "consolized" to play on the TV. Thing is, such consolized MVS board are expensive to begin with, even more expensive than AES console. The reason behind is you'd need to get it powered up by itself, make your own controller ports, sound ports and of course the most important thing video ports. But in the long run, it's the game that drains your money. rarest AES game, Kizuna Encounter (US) costs you a Toyota Vios. Brand new one may cost a Toyota Camry. That's how crazy it is because there are only 7 copies of the game in the world.

I initially chose a Neo Geo Top Loading, loading takes too long so I add another CDZ to my collection. But with limited games I add another consolized MVS. Due to work and so many nice games coming out on 360, I hardly have the time to play any of them nowadays. So if any of you want to buy a consolized MVS I'm willing to part mine with 11 games tongue.gif

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.47    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:22 PM