Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Iphone 3g officially in Malaysia.... SOON?

views

stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 10:51 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

No.

Unless you start seeing Apple providing other contents than Apps, that is not an indication of iPhone coming to Malaysia. Apple is merely providing avenues for iPod touch users here to get a chance to purchase Apps.

I'd like to be as excited and as hopeful as you are, but it does not point towards that way. And it has already been explained in other threads as well.

This move by Apple however, may be a test bed to see how well the response is from Malaysian towards AppStore. If they see that the response is encouraging, they may see it fit to launch a full-blown iTunes Store.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 11:09 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Patience may not be a virtue at all if you're waiting for a train that never arrive at the station. People speak of the train, but all the while, the train goes past by this station and stops only in stations "down south".

We've all been here, and we all love speculations and hopeful rumors. But when you trust non-credible news source and accepts rumors as hard evidence, you'll end disappointed. The Malaysian Insider is good for a lot of other things, but there is a reason why people dont tune to them for technology-related info.

Added on July 12, 2008, 11:11 am
QUOTE(b48753 @ Jul 12 2008, 11:08 AM)
I have a suggestion if says iPhone not officially launch in Malaysia and you still want the warranty.

Go to Singapore to get it, in case of any defect just back to Singapore and fix it..  biggrin.gif
That is if Singtel allows sale of iPhone without contract, which remains to be seen.

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jul 12 2008, 11:11 AM
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 11:23 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

The rules now have change, you may not need official iTunes store to ensure that your country gets picked up for an iPhone launch. All you need is a telco willing to bring it in, and agree to Apple's own business model. Countries like the ones on the African continent, still do not have their own iTunes store, but their telcos are handling the iPhone's unlocking to their telco's network.

Last time, you need an official iTunes Store to get this done. But now, with the arrival of a customised version of iTunes made available to telcos to do the unlocking, the rules have change. The problem here is, Apple only make that special unlocking iTunes version to telcos they have agreed upon, and I dont see Malaysia in that roadmap during Steve's Keynote at WWDC.

The recent localised iTunes Store move you see is to allow iPod touch users to expand on their Touches with the addition of Apps. If AppStore wasnt available for the folks with Touches, you'll never see this happens.

Next indication to look for are offerings OTHER THAN apps. As long as they stlll stick to Apps, I dont see pining for a local iPhone launch to be wise.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 11:39 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(raycol97 @ Jul 12 2008, 11:32 AM)
Hi stringfellow,

Thanks for pointing out the ipod touch issue!! However, kindly note that neither Hong Kong nor Singapore is offering any music or movies in their iTunes Store!!!

Another point is, iTunes is NOT a new features for Ipod Touch!!

IF Apple really wanna offer music and movies download for Ipod Touch users, they should already done so.... the only reason I can see why they are not offering is because.... they "DONT expect" many people is going to buy it in Malaysia??? isn't it?? How many ORIGINAL CD or DVD you bought compare to those pirated copies??

Anyway, I am not saying I am RIGHT, as I said, I am ONLY guessing....

Cheers.

raycol97
Yes, all these are guessworks based on current Apple patterns. But the most indicative of a selection of a country as an iPhone launch platform is the inclusion of media downloads. you are right, HK or SG do not have media downloads available for them, on these countries, instead of media downloads, their respective telcos snapped up the rights and handle it as their own launch. Remember, HK and SG themselves do not have official Apple Stores, they rely on Three(HK) and Singtel(SG) to handle all the launch necessities(unlocking, support, etc).

Let's use common sense here. Why wouldnt Maxis, the supposedly telco that gets the rights for an iPhone here, kept mum/very quiet on the issue, and have Malaysian Insider break the news? Why didnt they themselves break the news and generate hype and wanting for their own brand? Why? Maybe it's because the news ITSELF has no credibility and Maxis doesnt want to be seen as an entity spreading FUD.

Trust me, I want it locally here as badly as the next guy here, but I set my foot in reality rather than floating on hope. It is better this way, you dont get hurt too much when reality sets in and you come tumbling back to Earth.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 11:58 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(sc2 @ Jul 12 2008, 11:54 AM)
perhaps n..... hopefully...smile.gif
Two words that does not bring much confidence now , does it?

stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 12:23 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Same here, I like the idea of having myself covered in case something broke down. Thankfully even my first launch iPhone still works, bought more than a year ago, so build quality is not an issue with the iPhone, at least not in my case.

But it is not wise to rely on hearsay and speculations.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 12:43 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(rx330 @ Jul 12 2008, 12:29 PM)
receive the maxis rewards booklet, open up only, u see a picture of iphone liao biggrin.gif

string, any idea abt iphone in the uk? my wife will be ther for a year, so if she signs up the 18 moon contract, is the phone locked dead? or still can use back msia sim card?
Two options, O2 or Carphone Warehouse, and I'm pretty sure they are locked down pretty tight. So you'll need to wait for solutions from Dev Team orothers to get it unlocked, O2 or Carphone will not do the unlocking for you. From what I gather, only iPhones from Hong Kong, Italy and New Zealand are unlocked right out of the box, with options to unlock from telco itself, from Australian Optus, Spain, Portugal, France and Norway. If I could not get it from New Zealand, I'll be hoping on France(Orange) from my next trip there on the 22nd. My buddy just missed today's closing time at 1500 LMT(1100 here) and the Vodafone store is closed tomorrow. Only opens on Monday at 0900, and he have to get to the shuttle to the airport by 1050! I'm panicking already here! sweat.gif
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 01:03 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Vodafone Italy is selling the 8GB version at EU499, while the 16GB runs you 569 Euros. I'm still looking around for TIM's rate. Two telcos offering iPhone 3G in Italy, Vodafone and TIM.

stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 08:35 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

REason why Apple is not interested with Malaysia is that our telcos are an entity on its own. See other ccountries, for example Singtel. Singtel holds percentage interest and hold in companies with large customer bases in Australia and South East Asia, hence their ability to take up presence and charge to do the launch. It just also happen that they are from Singapore and hence passing that right and chance to fellow Singaporean.

What about those little African countries like Botswana and such, you ask? Check their telco, and you'll see that most if not all their telco are telecom multiconglomerate such as Vodafone and such, and since Apple have grant blanket rights to them to launch, Vodafone extends such rights also to launch in those little African countries. The same reason why in certain countries like in Italy, besides TIM, Vodafone Italy is also launching it there, because they are given the blanket rights.

Malaysia? Got Vodafone Malaysia? Orange Malaysia? Or T-Mobile? Nope, we have Maxis, Celcom and DiGi. The very extent of them allowing these large telecom multiconglomerates into Malaysia is via partnership, most evidently by business joint-ventures like Celcom-Vodafone Blackberry service for businesses. Other than that, Malaysia is LOCKED TIGHT, between the three main telcos here. Apple may or may not have negotiated with our Big Three but knowing how Malaysian companies operate (untung besar, on as little as possible investments or effort, eg: TMNET, Proton), Apple decides to not go through here, or probably disgusted/disenchanted with how things are done here. Why bother with such a small market and when the telcos representing us here are acting like hungry whiny babies, wanting to be fed?

There may be exceptions like Hong Kong's "Three" by Hutchison, but I see that as Apple's attempt to penetrate the Chinese market after their failed attempt with China Mobile. they may be sending a signal to Three to push their presence into China and allowing Apple to sell their iPhones there.

See, beneath this desperateness of getting the 3G iPhone, is a well-informed calculative mind. I may not seem rational in my obsessiveness in getting the 3G iPhone, but that is just my nature: I'll do whatever it takes to get one, within reasonable mean. But I draw the line when it comes to others taking advantage of my obsessions, such as local importers here wanting RM4,000 for the 3G iPhone. I seething hate cutthroats like these, no matter how business-minded they portray themselves to look like.

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jul 12 2008, 08:43 PM
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 09:09 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

OT: I've tried Diamond, and the whole interface reeks! Those comfortable with multitouch would vomit in HTC's general direction, after seeing what pisspoor effort they did slapping a ho-hum interface on top of a crappy OS. No amount of eyecandy wiper wipe animation would make me fall for that.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 09:17 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

You're really brave for signing a contract, must be that you have someone in UK for extended period of time to do that. As for the Italian iPhones, be careful. Italians are adept at taking advantage of you while you're not looking, I got conned myself while in Rome. Got a 20 Euro souvenir picture that I dont really want.......long story.
stringfellow
post Jul 12 2008, 09:44 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Try and see if Carphone Warehouse gives a better deal. You should be OK if you sign up later in August, currently O2 is facing huge problem of activating the iPhones, thanks to iTunes 7.7 timing out. Some had to wait hours, and some are even sent home with iPhones unactivated.

OT: For those conned pics, what can I do? Those gladiators are holding swords. Even if they're fake, them gladiators are not messing around with bulging muscles....even the female ones. sweat.gif
stringfellow
post Jul 13 2008, 11:59 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

In my case, I have the money, but vendor dont want to take it! World's gone topsy-turvy these days.
stringfellow
post Jul 14 2008, 09:45 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(psyeo @ Jul 14 2008, 06:14 PM)
haha, You can get it cheaper in NZ at only NZD199~<RM500 for 8gb
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Ahahah, dont feed the hopefuls, hopes dashed and broken as they hit the cold hard floors of reality can be heard around the world, when they click that spoilered text of yours. tongue.gif

If I absolutely have to sign up for a contracted iPhone, two choices: Switzerland OR US. Swiss iPhones are the cheapest while on contract, while US, well.....spending considerable amount of time there helps justifying the contract.
stringfellow
post Jul 14 2008, 10:30 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

It would be nice if this so-called "race"involves bringing it at its ACTUAL retail , rather than this ridiculous price.
stringfellow
post Jul 15 2008, 01:47 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

I see words like "speculated", "speculations", and "believed" and I can only think of one acronym: FUD.

Again, if this is true, expect them latching to you with contracts.
stringfellow
post Jul 15 2008, 02:15 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

I'd jump ship, bye bye Celcom and hello Maxis in a heartbeat , if that is true. Sell my soul to them for 24 months if needed to. laugh.gif
stringfellow
post Jul 15 2008, 05:41 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

I dont see it happening, in cash-strapped and thrift-based climate like Malaysia. Imagine the reaction of the general public when you tell them that on top of the "below RM1k" price, you need to subscribe RMXX per month for 12/18/24 months, and need payment upfront. More rioting and rallies, and cries for the iPhone to be a controlled-price item. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jul 15 2008, 05:41 PM
stringfellow
post Jul 15 2008, 05:57 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

What is the cheapest monthly payment on Maxis on post-paid? I'm on Celcom so I wouldnt know. Just like to juggle some numbers in my head.
stringfellow
post Jul 15 2008, 06:07 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

What about SMS rates?

Countries with plans and contracts have talk times, text and data rates separate. The cheapest plan would only include the cheapest talk times, plus bundled X amount of texting/SMS, usually in the figure or 200, or 500. Data is separate, and can be included if you're a user, but let's try and be cheap and see how much it crops up if you just want talk time and texting.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0313sec    0.38    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:37 PM