Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Theatre AV Room / Home Theatre Build Report, Build Completed, pics on Pg 6.

views

songbo
post Nov 20 2007, 10:51 PM

♥ ▬▬ ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ 爽吗 ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ ▬▬ ♥
1,029 posts

do u use anything for soundproof?
TSjasonlky
post Nov 21 2007, 12:53 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(songbo @ Nov 20 2007, 10:51 PM)
do u use anything for soundproof?
I never thought about sound proofing coz the nearest bedroom is the master bedroom which is right below and even then there is very little sound intrusion. My house is not condo or terrace so I dun have to worry about the neighours.

QUOTE(kvn1080 @ Nov 20 2007, 10:14 PM)
congratulations~jasonlky ....(you are soooo rich man)
Just before everyone thinks I am super loaded with cash let me explain a bit.....

I am getting this project done by my Uncle who is a contractor for built in furniture and interior carpentry. He is one of the carpenters that worked on restoring Mahatir's house and turning it into a museum in Alor Setar.

So I prolly will not be spending as much as one would expect since there is no markup..... uncle mah!! I'll give you a rundown of the cost once I get the bill from him. Anyone care to estimate.... lets see who gets the correct guess....

Jason biggrin.gif
htkaki
post Nov 21 2007, 08:51 AM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

I love those wood panelling. But, I couldnt have it in my house. Thanks to bloody termite. Still sceptical even after those termite treatment.

Jason, do post more photos whenever possible. TIA
TSjasonlky
post Nov 21 2007, 02:46 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ Nov 21 2007, 08:51 AM)
I love those wood panelling. But, I couldnt have it in my house. Thanks to bloody termite. Still sceptical even after those termite treatment.

Jason, do post more photos whenever possible. TIA
The wood panelling took an agonisingly long time to decide. I was to-ing and fro-ing between my wife and the interior designer. I must say that I think it is integrating very well with the overall design. But the wood panelling is only veneer, cannot afford solid woodlah.

haha termites.... I had the soil treated before the house was built and the pest control inspects the house every 3 months. But more importantly I insisted on using hardwoods for all flooring, fencing, windows, doors and frames.... cengal, resak and jati.

Photos coming soon, gonna try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and related programs.

Jason biggrin.gif
htkaki
post Nov 21 2007, 03:58 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

They did inspect my crib quarterly. Evem with the warranty, I really afraid that these highly intelligent insects will ruin the furnitures.

I am embarassed that I have been putting on hold of my project. Home Minister given green light to convert one of the room to HT. Still pondering whether to save enough to buy a 1080p projector or just buy 720p projector. Then again, sourcing for a long HDMI here is costly. Now, waiting for my bro-in-law to go to USA

TSjasonlky
post Nov 24 2007, 02:30 AM

Casual
451 posts

The build continues with the installation of the sliding wall panels that will be used to close the windows during movie time.
Attached Image

At the same time the display cabinets go on the back of the theatre.
Attached Image

The rest of the display cabinets are installed, this is the portion that sits on top of the staircase.
Attached Image

The artificial floor over the stairs are also installed... This is the fixed part, picture taken from the underside showing the supports bolted to the wall.
Attached Image

And this is the door that will allow access to the stairs. Note that the railing has been removed to allow free movement when the door is closed.
Attached Image

The door to the stairs are closed. Don't worry it is supported by very strong wood and it can easily take the weight of 4 adults!! unfortunately due to safety concerns the other railing cannot be removed.
Attached Image

This is the completed display cabinet at the rear of the theatre. Glass doors are already installed. Here is the main section with the open shelve ready to receive the projector.... just below the air conitioner.
Attached Image

And here is the other section with the cabinets on top of the artificial floor. Notice the door on the right side of the picture...
Attached Image

Here is the door leading out to the flat roof. The fixed cabinets that will be housing the AV systems are in place. The removeable cabinet will go in to cover the door, so that you will not see the door. Good idea eh...
Attached Image

Last but not least... the unfinished frame for the screen.
Attached Image

This is where the build stand after 7 days of non-stop work. Quality is top notch, fit and finish is really good. However it just dawned on me that I may have made a fatal mistake in the design....

Notice that I have used glass doored display cabinets at the rear of the room. In addition, I am using Rythmik Audio's subwoofer that can effortlessly go down to 14hz. Put the two together and what do you get? The glass doors in the display cabinets will have a hell of a time when the movies start. Granted this is only a conjecture at the moment as I have not started watching any movies in the yet unfinished theatre. But I am pretty sure it will be rattle central when the bass starts hitting. Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation.

Jason biggrin.gif

ps- I have just been given a hint of the cost... shocking.gif

This post has been edited by jasonlky: Nov 24 2007, 02:50 AM
ADCollector
post Nov 24 2007, 06:48 AM

4 posts

Nice bro. I guess the cost must be in the 5 figure mark?? blink.gif

Btw, what are you planning to display in those cabinets? Toys and figurines would be my guess.. smile.gif thumbup.gif
TSjasonlky
post Nov 24 2007, 09:09 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(ADCollector @ Nov 24 2007, 06:48 AM)
Nice bro. I guess the cost must be in the 5 figure mark??� blink.gif

Btw, what are you planning to display in those cabinets? Toys and figurines would be my guess..� smile.gifthumbup.gif
You scored a bingo on both counts.....

Jason biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by jasonlky: Nov 24 2007, 11:17 AM
ycs
post Nov 24 2007, 11:15 AM

3,956 posts

nice. how big is your screen?

TSjasonlky
post Nov 24 2007, 11:19 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(ycs @ Nov 24 2007, 11:15 AM)
nice. how big is your screen?
Thanks, the screen will measure 110" diagonal.... 96" x 54", 16:9 format.

Jason biggrin.gif
htkaki
post Nov 24 2007, 05:10 PM

Maxx Audio Visual
14,193 posts

That's what I am going to say when I see those glass cabinets at the back. It will rattle and reflect sound due to its hard surface. Not to mention that ur sub digs real low
selvenz
post Nov 25 2007, 11:42 AM

Enthusiast
841 posts

i suggest heavy curtain as an additional cover for the glass cabinets, as glass cabinets are a no-no in HT design, any low bass will be immediatly felt in the reveberation . Sometimes it is known to make the whole movie feel a bit distorted(sound) as unnecessary sound is redirected. just my 2 cents worth...anyways great job have lot of fun.
ADCollector
post Nov 25 2007, 10:19 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(jasonlky @ Nov 24 2007, 11:19 AM)
Thanks, the screen will measure 110" diagonal.... 96" x 54", 16:9 format.

Jason biggrin.gif
110"?? blink.gif I can't wait to see that!! 3D like Imax or not?? drool.gif drool.gif

Hmm, scratch the idea of glass cabinets in my HT room. Was contemplating the same idea also. hmm.gif

Akabane@DrJackel
post Nov 25 2007, 10:24 PM

**Music Listeners**
4,540 posts

QUOTE(ADCollector @ Nov 25 2007, 10:19 PM)
110"??  blink.gif I can't wait to see that!! 3D like Imax or not??  drool.gif  drool.gif

Hmm, scratch the idea of glass cabinets in my HT room. Was contemplating the same idea also.  hmm.gif
widescreen format 16:9 NICE ..cool..
TSjasonlky
post Nov 26 2007, 01:20 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(selvenz @ Nov 25 2007, 11:42 AM)
i suggest heavy curtain as an additional cover for the glass cabinets, as glass cabinets are a no-no in HT design, any low bass will be immediatly felt in the reveberation . Sometimes it is known to make the whole movie feel a bit distorted(sound) as unnecessary sound is redirected. just my 2 cents worth...anyways great job have lot of fun.
I was contemplating the idea of using curtains, but I think that the low frequency will pass through the heaviest curtain that can be hung in my theatre. But then again I don't know what is the resonant frequency of the panes of glass. Each pane of glass could theretically resonate at a different frequency as they are all at different lengths.... Will have to setup everything and find out how big the problem is before I attempt anything.

I am now contemplating a way to physically damp each pane of glass... via some kind of rubber stopper. Currently, each pane of glass has a hinge on one end and it is secured in the close position by the magnet "push on"/"push off" mechanism.

Its just an idea at them moment, need more time to work out the details. I am not going to give up the glass dispay cabinets so easily...

The cabinets and screen frame has been completed today. With the exception of attaching the screen to the screen frame... the mechanical build is completed. The contrator spent Sat and Sun touching up and cleaning up. The pictures are roughly as you have seen them in the pics above. The electrician will be here Monday/Tuesday to wire up the theatre and install the lighting. I will take more pics after this is completed.

Jason biggrin.gif

piscesguy
post Nov 26 2007, 09:05 AM

私の名前はりゅうです
3,940 posts

Guess you don't need to go cinema for movies in the future.. tongue.gif
TSjasonlky
post Nov 26 2007, 02:54 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(piscesguy @ Nov 26 2007, 09:05 AM)
Guess you don't need to go cinema for movies in the future.. tongue.gif
Actually I have discussed this at length with my Home Theatre projector buddies. Contrary to popular belief, the Home Theatre is ultimately an approximation of what going to the cinema is all about. Maybe my kids won't know the difference as they seldom go to the movies. E.g. my kids have only been to Chicken Little, Happy Feet and Ratatoille.... that is about once every six months. When I ask them about the cinema, they have a vague idea of what the experience was all about. But when I was a kid leading up to my teenage years... movies were a weekly affair... well almost depending on the pocket money availability.

There is a whole ritual about going to the cinema, choosing the movie, calling/making appointment with friends/gf. Arguing which cinema to go: Ruby Theatre because toilet is cleaner, or which Rex because got more leng lui... deciding to sit upstais or downstairs...Then meeting up for a snack/dinner, proceeding to the theatre, lining up to buy tickets... deciding where to sit... who to sits next to whom (especially important when there is a certain someone in the group u are trying to woo... but trying not to be so obvious. Then choosing your snack and drink, making sure there is enough to last the whole movie.

Sure there is that annoying guy 3 rows back that needs to show how smart he is by narrating the entire movie to impress his friends. Then there is the lady sitting right infront of you with the funky hairdo that reaches up to the ceiling. Dun forget the feel and sound of the kuaci as you walk to your seat. And the occasional chewing gum stuck to you brand new Fung Keong!!

The experience now with the cineplex is a little different but its largely unchanged... but the guy talking loudly in the 3rd row is still there and now has a handphone that refuses go into silent mode. Lady with the big hair is still there. (And the couple sitting the the back corner are still there ...fondling each other in the dark.... thinking no one notices brows.gif

Heck, sure I will still go to the movies. Why ever not?

But the benefits of the Home theatre are plenty ...can pause the movie to go to the toilet or to get a hot drink, can rewind to re-listen to dialogue can tapau roti canai or char kuay teow (extra chilli sweat.gif with kerang drool.gif ) to eat during the movie, no loud guy with handphone (probably coz you ARE that guy laugh.gif ), no big hair lady.... and can watch comfortably with the family.

Jason biggrin.gif
JonC
post Nov 26 2007, 04:10 PM

Forever Silenced But The Truth Will Be Told - JFT96
1,612 posts

Thanks for making all my teenage cinema memories come flooding back!!! brows.gif I mean HT will be more comfortable and more convenient but then again it still doesn't beat the scale of a proper theater and the added "extra scenes" thrown in. laugh.gif

Good to see your setup is finishing soon. So when is the boxoffice opening for LYN members? wink.gif
rx330
post Nov 26 2007, 04:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,585 posts

sigh... jason.. now u are making me itchy to do a cinema room as well....
ADCollector
post Nov 26 2007, 11:44 PM

4 posts

Jason,

Any chance the glass will shatter due to sonic vibrations?? rclxub.gif rclxub.gif I'm assuming you will be blasting your HT set while watching the movies. biggrin.gif

What if you point the subwoofer away from the cabinets? Would that make a difference?? E.g. shooting sideways?? hmm.gif

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0217sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:40 PM