Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How much salary is needed for age 40 in Penang?

views

kesvani
post May 28 2023, 11:57 PM

On my way
673 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ May 24 2023, 06:31 PM)
planning is important  tongue.gif

don't spend lavishly... home cooked foods.... can save quite sums  tongue.gif
Dont understand why some people prefer starving but drive big car and house. I myself prefer just have simple things but no need worry about foods. My food budget alone can go to till 1200 if didnt do any self control
guy3288
post May 29 2023, 12:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,398 posts

QUOTE(,May 26 2023, 08:03 AM)
totally agreed on this..
eat out for 2 person..minimum RM 250
with this RM 250, go NSK can buy 1 week food supplies..
QUOTE(,May 26 2023, 11:57 AM)
Rm250 for 2??
Hotel foods???
QUOTE(xander2k8 @ May 26 2023, 02:16 PM)
Buffet 😂 most likely he meant for a week
Bruh say what you mean
and mean what you say ok?

dont try twist and turn now after being confronted.

Clearly you pandai pandai replied
That RM250 for 2 was for buffet for 2 for a week
gila kah he meant RM250 was buffet for 2 for a week?

QUOTE(xander2k8 @ May 28 2023, 11:44 PM)
Read properly in context in the 1st place 🤦‍♀️ rm250 was either implying a buffet or weekly allowance for meals at home 🤦‍♀️  only ppl like you will eat more expensive like abalone when rm250 is not enough 🤦‍♀️ I myself can budget rm50 for a week cooking for myself 🤦‍♀️
bulshit read your own post above .
either you don not know how to express yourself
or you have thought incoherence
nothing to do with me eating abalone, so dont tukar topic!
dwRK
post May 29 2023, 08:46 AM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(guy3288 @ May 29 2023, 12:29 AM)

he is well known lah... always try to trigger ppl... must have last word... hahaha...

most ppl just ignore him... i read his post sometimes see how he spin stuff... hahaha...

dun let him get to you ah... wink.gif

dwRK
post May 29 2023, 08:55 AM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 28 2023, 11:50 PM)
The older you get...post-retirement, the lesser you spend on meals.
imho not really... eating less quantity for sure... but going for higher quality instead... also fresh fruits getting expensive...

romuluz777
post May 29 2023, 08:57 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 29 2023, 09:55 AM)
imho not really... eating less quantity for sure... but going for higher quality instead... also fresh fruits getting expensive...
Hmm..yeah…you’ve got a point there.
Healthy food does cost more😊
McMatt
post May 29 2023, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
180 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 28 2023, 11:08 AM)
Thanks for sharing the budgeting table. I feel that the food costs are higher these days and portions are smaller in Penang. Rm20 would be just nice for one pax per meal per day. Drinks at kopitiams in Penang are also mandatory😂
RM20 was more for the truly budget. I set mine for RM25 for 2 pax. Reason being is, it is not always I eat out. Half the time, I eat my breakfast at home. Can be cereals, can be toast, can be eggs etc. Likewise for dinner. At times, it is just mixed rice for me and my wife. Sometimes we even share a packet coz as we/I age, we tend to eat lesser. I did an extensive 6 months diligent monitoring of every dollar and cents that I spent on last year. And my meal budget truly reflects lesser than RM20 (between RM17-18) averagely for me and my wife, even with the occasional cafe meals. I tally every meal per month and added to the food groceries from supermarket to average out the 30/31 days. It was a tedious task to open my google sheet each time I spend. But it gave me a true reflection if my average 6 months was what I expected it to be.

RM20 per meal per person is very generous already. Which is great is you allow for it, and end up spending less every month.

Is it really all kopitiams charges a fee if you don't order drinks? I'd only support those that don't. I don't owe them anything to support such establishments. I do order but I don't agree on it being mandatory on principle. We are lucky we don't get that here in KL.

This post has been edited by McMatt: May 29 2023, 09:11 AM
ahchun
post May 29 2023, 09:30 AM

MiddleAge
1,115 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 28 2023, 11:08 AM)
Thanks for sharing the budgeting table. I feel that the food costs are higher these days and portions are smaller in Penang. Rm20 would be just nice for one pax per meal per day. Drinks at kopitiams in Penang are also mandatory😂
what do you eat for rm20 / meal ? or is it rm20 for a day

if a day make sense
if a meal that is one heavy meal

romuluz777
post May 29 2023, 09:34 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

QUOTE(ahchun @ May 29 2023, 10:30 AM)
what do you  eat for rm20 / meal ? or is it rm20 for a day

if a day make sense
if a meal that is one heavy meal
20 bucks is for one meal for 1 pax including a drink.
Am budgeting on the higher side based on klang valley rates.

dwRK
post May 29 2023, 09:34 AM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(McMatt @ May 29 2023, 09:10 AM)
RM20 was more for the truly budget. I set mine for RM25 for 2 pax. Reason being is, it is not always I eat out. Half the time, I eat my breakfast at home. Can be cereals, can be toast, can be eggs etc. Likewise for dinner. At times, it is just mixed rice for me and my wife. Sometimes we even share a packet coz as we/I age, we tend to eat lesser. I did an extensive 6 months diligent monitoring of every dollar and cents that I spent on last year. And my meal budget truly reflects lesser than RM20 (between RM17-18) averagely for me and my wife, even with the occasional cafe meals. I tally every meal per month and added to the food groceries from supermarket to average out the 30/31 days. It was a tedious task to open my google sheet each time I spend. But it gave me a true reflection if my average 6 months was what I expected it to be.

RM20 per meal per person is very generous already. Which is great is you allow for it, and end up spending less every month.

Is it really all kopitiams charges a fee if you don't order drinks? I'd only support those that don't. I don't owe them anything to support such establishments. I do order but I don't agree on it being mandatory on principle. We are lucky we don't get that here in KL.
i just take a more holistic view on budgeting... assumption that minimum wage, say 1.5k, would be more than sufficient for food, utilities, etc... since one doesn't need to spend on rental/housing, petrol going to/fro work, parking, etc... a more generous starting pay say 2.5k would allows more luxuries... smile.gif

Unkerpanjang
post May 29 2023, 09:42 AM

Regular
1,090 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 29 2023, 09:34 AM)
20 bucks is for one meal for 1 pax including a drink.
Am budgeting on the higher side based on klang valley rates.
Friends n fellow forumers, most of you here are much, much better off than the masses. It's the same people active in Epf dividend, fire, forex, asnb, etc thread. Then suddenly here, all try to spend less.

As long as it's not squandering the wealth, it's ok to spend.

Unker say come Penang enjoy, a typical meal for 2 pax. $60+ total. 6 chapati, 2 ayam bawang thigh, 2 fried fish, 2 dalcha with real vege, 2 cooked white radish, 2 plates sardine, 1 iced kopi, 1 nescafe tarik, 1 ais kosong, 1 air panas.

1 breakfast meal can last till late afternoon. Just have patience, approx 45 mins wait....but if use Unker photo, cut to 40 mins wait under the hot sun or sometimes kena halau.

Life is too short, let's pick fights with strangers in the internet.

user posted image
dwRK
post May 29 2023, 09:49 AM

the consummate chartist
5,114 posts

QUOTE(Unkerpanjang @ May 29 2023, 09:42 AM)
Friends n fellow forumers, most of you here are much, much better off than the masses. It's the same people active in Epf dividend, fire, forex, asnb, etc thread. Then suddenly here, all try to spend less.

Unker say come Penang enjoy, a typical meal for 2 pax. $60+ total. 6 chapati, 2 ayam bawang thigh, 2 fried fish, 2 dalcha with real vege, 2 cooked white radish, 2 plates sardine, 1 iced kopi, 1 nescafe tarik, 1 ais kosong, 1 air panas.

1 breakfast meal can last till late afternoon. Just have patience, approx 45 mins wait....but if use Unker photo, cut to 40 mins wait under the hot sun or sometimes kena halau.

user posted image
just had jap dinner yesterday RM100 per pax, followed by ice cream waffle for dessert RM35 shared with wifu lah... and soba noodle the night before RM25-35 per pax smile.gif

obviously budget is higher... and sometimes should just enjoy... hehehe...

romuluz777
post May 29 2023, 09:59 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 29 2023, 10:49 AM)
just had jap dinner yesterday RM100 per pax, followed by ice cream waffle for dessert RM35 shared with wifu lah... and soba noodle the night before RM25-35 per pax smile.gif

obviously budget is higher... and sometimes should just enjoy... hehehe...
Life is short and fragile. I guess we hv to enjoy as much as possible😅
romuluz777
post May 29 2023, 10:00 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

QUOTE(Unkerpanjang @ May 29 2023, 10:42 AM)

user posted image
I enjoy nasi kandar and banana leaf in PEN, however I find these have become sort of luxury cuisine nowadays
sadlyfalways
post May 29 2023, 10:04 AM

Enthusiast
843 posts

QUOTE(goolie @ May 24 2023, 03:46 PM)
I have 2 housing loan (260k + 140k), 1 car loan (27k). 1 wife and 1 new born baby.
Jesus. 10k if want to be safe and secure for future of child

But why are you asking like this like salary is something we can just pick and change?

If not why not just pick the best salary you can find?

This post has been edited by sadlyfalways: May 29 2023, 10:05 AM
Unkerpanjang
post May 29 2023, 10:06 AM

Regular
1,090 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 29 2023, 10:00 AM)
I enjoy nasi kandar and banana leaf in PEN, however I find these have become sort of luxury cuisine nowadays
Yup, Bro...just go to Lowyat Gold Forum, thread #4441.
I get your drift..wink! wink!

This post has been edited by Unkerpanjang: May 29 2023, 10:06 AM
tehoice
post May 29 2023, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,403 posts

QUOTE(guy3288 @ May 29 2023, 12:29 AM)

so dont tukar topic!
Here we go again.

QUOTE(Unkerpanjang @ May 29 2023, 09:42 AM)

user posted image
Life's too short to fight, my mama taught me to make peace and love, not fights.

But life's too short also not to enjoy. so enjoy good food while we still can, until we got restrictions from our medical doctors telling us not to eat this or that.

blingless
post May 29 2023, 09:56 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(McMatt @ May 26 2023, 01:17 PM)
I like to calculate my yearly expenses, then I know how much money is needed. Monthly is not accurate due to different expenses at different times of the year. If I did a simple one like below, averagely for 2 person also need RM3k per month these days. Haven't included KTM yet  sweat.gif

user posted image

For me and my wife, currently, I need 80k per annum, which is under RM7k a month. Coz I include expenses like medical card insurances, cost for 2 cars, and many more which I removed from above example. Even my daily meal I put RM25 each. Thus, with 80k and with a conservative 4.5% returns pa, I need assets amounting to under RM2m to generate the yearly returns in order not to touch the capital. But as me and my wife age and as inflation catch up, we will eventually start tapping into the capital which should last us till 75-80 years if we live that long  laugh.gif We have no children, and that helps. Or to some, the expect got children to help when golden years come.

I had to top up my allowance to my elderly mum during pandemic days when FD rates were super low. She couldn't get enough interest to cover her expenses even though she didn't need much. Now that FD naik, I am happy once again coz we got no home or car loan. Debt free is bliss.

I also hoping for jackpot, tak mali mali pun  cool2.gif

Actually Penang not that expensive except for buying a home. Otherwise, food and normal consumables, same saje with KV, could even be cheaper. In fact, no need to pay tolls unless you going across to mainland. Here in KV, it's almost impossible to avoid tolls when going out to see friends or family or for some jalan2 during weekend. My monthly toll already close to RM150 p/m.

Me pun sharing je.
Thank you! This was really useful insight.
My gf and I are considering a move to Penang within the next 18 months.
No debts, no loans, no car.

We're planning to achieve 10K/mo from passive income.
And fund any shortfall from inflation or otherwise from part-time active income.

I have a goal of winding down my active work life within 18 months (but can't completely switch off so will still work part-time).
She's still early in her career and willing to continue fulltime remotely until she can go part-time as well.

Our goal being to enjoy our time together while we're both healthy and active over the next 20 years versus waiting.
From past visits, Penang seems ideal and worth trying out at the very least.

Really appreciate your and the other contributors input in this thread.

romuluz777
post May 30 2023, 09:14 AM

Regular
1,447 posts

QUOTE(blingless @ May 29 2023, 10:56 PM)
Thank you! This was really useful insight.
My gf and I are considering a move to Penang within the next 18 months.
No debts, no loans, no car.

We're planning to achieve 10K/mo from passive income.
And fund any shortfall from inflation or otherwise from part-time active income.

I have a goal of winding down my active work life within 18 months (but can't completely switch off so will still work part-time).
She's still early in her career and willing to continue fulltime remotely until she can go part-time as well.

Our goal being to enjoy our time together while we're both healthy and active over the next 20 years versus waiting.
From past visits, Penang seems ideal and worth trying out at the very least.

Really appreciate your and the other contributors input in this thread.
Living in PEN without a car will be problematic. Would advise you to get a small, used P2 (Axia, Myvi) to get around.
McMatt
post May 30 2023, 09:38 AM

Getting Started
180 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 30 2023, 09:14 AM)
Living in PEN without a car will be problematic. Would advise you to get a small, used P2 (Axia, Myvi) to get around.
I don't know about you. Assuming your car is RM50k and you keep it for 10 years, that's an average of RM5k a year, with RM416 per month. Depending how often they go out, would RM416 a month be sufficient for Grab car services in Penang? At RM15 per trip, you can take about 27 rides a month. And this notwithstanding car maintenance service every 6 months, your yearly insurance and other factors. Have not even factored in petrol.

My wife and I have decided to only live with just 1 car if we really want when I retire. In the event both have to go different places at the same time, one of us will just GRAB. In fact, this applies for us only because we are in Klang Valley. If I was in Penang, I would be more inclined to do without a car. And this coming from me who don't have kids. Couples with young children, they would have difference priorities.

If we need a local road trip, we can just rent a car.

We need to rid ourselves thinking that we need "things" to live. In reality, we just need to change perception and change the "perceived and common" lifestyle. No wonder Malaysia has one of the highest car ownership in the region.

This post has been edited by McMatt: May 30 2023, 09:39 AM
Unkerpanjang
post May 30 2023, 09:46 AM

Regular
1,090 posts

QUOTE(romuluz777 @ May 30 2023, 09:14 AM)
Ehhh..this one serious ne. Outsider mau kacau Penang punya pasal. Later Unker panggil other Bro attack your post le. Wink! Wink!

Depending where you stay...renting or buy property.
Be free as a wandering nomad. Spend some months in

*Pulau Tikus/Gurney Drive area, all amenities within walking distance.

*Georgetown area, street food, street art, UNESCO, get inspirations from heritage area for your side gig. Environment not so good, ...noisy.

*Some weeks in Balik Pulau. Idyllic lifestyle.

Read up b4 commiting your stay...

2nd hand Myvi 6-7 old car, can get $25k. Otherwise, a motorbike. Only problem, monsoon starting in Aug..leceh.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0344sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:02 AM