Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Agarwood/Gaharu, Become a millionaire in 7 years?

views

TSamirbashah
post Oct 11 2007, 06:28 AM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
274 posts

Pictures of my gaharu trees

This post has been edited by amirbashah: Aug 12 2013, 03:02 PM
aeiou228
post Oct 11 2007, 06:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,829 posts

I thought agarwood can only be collected from dead fallen tree in the jungle ?? Never heard of commercially planted agarwood.
TSamirbashah
post Oct 11 2007, 06:51 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

Yes, it is usually found in the jungle.But due to uncontrolled logging activities,the number of these trees have decreased.I just found out about this particular tree a few days ago from a man who is currently planting these trees.There is this one old guy planted agarwood trees on his 30 acres land and a Japanese investor wants to buy the trees for RM60 million.IM NOT JOKING.

Added on October 11, 2007, 6:53 amAgarwood, aloeswood, eaglewood, jinkoh, gaharu are names for the world's most valuable incense. This resinous material is produced by tropical rainforest trees and has been used for centuries as incense and in traditional medicine. In the past, old growth Aquilaria and Gyrinops trees were indiscriminately cut to find the resin (usually hidden within the center of only a few old trees). Today in many countries of Southeast Asia where the tree was once native, it has become very rare due to increased harvesting. The resinous wood or oil extracted from the inside of some trees is extremely valuable since it is highly regarded for use during Buddhist and Islamic cultural activities as well as an important ingredient in many traditional medicines. It is also an extremely important component in traditional Japanese incense ceremonies. Although most people in the United States and Europe are not familiar with this aromatic resinous wood, its use as incense (called aloeswood) is mentioned several times in the bible. People in the United States, Europe and other countries that have had the opportunity to smell the fragrance of this extraordinary incense find it very appealing and pleasant.

Aquilaria trees are now protected in most countries and the collection of agarwood is illegal from natural forests. International agreements, such as CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora), accepted by 169 countries, is designed to ensure trade in agarwood products from wild trees does not threaten the survival of Aquilaria. Despite these efforts agarwood products from illegally cut trees continues to be sold and unknowing consumers create a demand that helps to destroy the last old growth Aquilaria trees in existence.

What triggers agarwood to form in some old growth trees has been an unsolved mystery.This technique consists of wounding trees in a specific manner and applying treatments to accelerate the natural defense responses of the tree. The technique allows a sustainable yield of resin to be produced in relatively young trees. Agarwood is a high value forest product that is easy to store and ship.The sustainable production of agarwood in plantation grown trees eliminates the need to cut old growth forest trees for the resin and will help save this endangered tree from possible extinction. This work also provides a source of cultivated agarwood so this magnificent aromatic resin can be enjoyed by people throughout the world.

This post has been edited by amirbashah: Oct 11 2007, 06:53 AM
Singh_Kalan
post Oct 11 2007, 10:19 AM

Regular
1,905 posts

rolleyes.gif sweat.gif
panasonic88
post Oct 11 2007, 12:46 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
37,028 posts

QUOTE(amirbashah @ Oct 11 2007, 06:28 AM)
You could buy the trees for RM5-RM100 depending on the size and could plant around 450-600 trees on 1 acre of land.
so, are you here to offer us "the trees"?
eehtsitna
post Oct 11 2007, 03:42 PM

Casual
356 posts

Hmmm... you can say that I am actually quite familiar with this topic because I am involved in a research related to gaharu. Just for your information, the price of the gaharu itself depends solely in the grade of the resin and cultivated gaharu is known to have a grade of around "C" which does not really fetch a good price in the market. There are still alot of grey area in this trade so you can say that there are risk involved.
TSamirbashah
post Oct 12 2007, 06:27 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(eehtsitna @ Oct 11 2007, 03:42 PM)
Hmmm... you can say that I am actually quite familiar with this topic because I am involved in a research related to gaharu. Just for your information, the price of the gaharu itself depends solely in the grade of the resin and cultivated gaharu is known to have a grade of around "C" which does not really fetch a good price in the market. There are still alot of grey area in this trade so you can say that there are risk involved.
So do you think it's a good investment?So far I only heard positive stories about gaharu but you're the first one to tell me differently.But I really appreciate your opinion and your expertise though.I learned about gaharu from a man also doing a research on gaharu.He didn't mention anything negative about the plant.I wouldn't know because I am still new in this subject.In your honest opinion, how much does one kilogram of agarwood/resin cost in Malaysia?Do you think it's worth the money.I am planning to invest my money on these tress soon.Your opinion is much appreciated.
ah_suknat
post Oct 12 2007, 06:38 AM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

I rather plant marijuana or cocaine tree.
temptation1314
post Oct 12 2007, 10:12 AM

Specials : 1,000,000 Spam Post Attack
2,287 posts

What if there's 1k of person are planting this agarwood in Malaysia? Won't be the market price will also decrease? sweat.gif

Demand : High
Supply : Low
Market Price : High

Supply : High
Market Price : Normal
keith_hjinhoh
post Oct 12 2007, 11:24 AM

Need My Service?
2,656 posts

QUOTE(temptation1314 @ Oct 12 2007, 10:12 AM)
What if there's 1k of person are planting this agarwood in Malaysia? Won't be the market price will also decrease? sweat.gif

Supply : Low
Market Price : High

Supply : High
Market Price : Normal
I dont think it's so easy as planting it, then it will grow. Trees need time and skills to maintain it unfortunately...
eehtsitna
post Oct 12 2007, 02:15 PM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(amirbashah @ Oct 12 2007, 07:27 AM)
So do you think it's a good investment?So far I only heard positive stories about gaharu but you're the first one to tell me differently.But I really appreciate your opinion and your expertise though.I learned about  gaharu from a man also doing a research on gaharu.He didn't mention anything negative about the plant.I wouldn't know because I am still new in this subject.In your honest opinion, how much does one kilogram of agarwood/resin cost in Malaysia?Do you think it's worth the money.I am planning to invest my money on these tress soon.Your opinion is much appreciated.
In my opinion, it is always a great investment to plant tree (because I am a forester tongue.gif). I have to first make myself clear that I am not trying to prevent you guys to plant the tree. Instead I want you guys to think about what I have to say and YOU yourself have to analyze the risk involve.

At the time being, there are alot of people in West Malaysia that is planting the tree. I myself know a close friend that has around two thousand tree intercropped in his oil palm estate which is growing nicely. What everyone has in mind is that "there are money to be made here" so they started to plant lots of it. What alot of people does not know is that planting the tree alone is not enough!!! In layman's term, you have to "treat" this tree in order for it to produce the valuable resin. Frankly speaking, this so called "treatment" is quite new to Malaysia and we did not have any convincing result that there is an effective treatment that we can use on the tree. At the moment, a lot of R&D department including the one that I am working in at the moment is testing the treatment out. On our side, we will at least need another 1 year to get some result. So for those that is interested to invest. You might have to take the risk that there might not be an effective treatment technique out there that you can use and the worse scenario is that you might need more than 7 years to grow the tree and you have to sell them off as timber or other wood based product.

Next is the price. You might have heard of those unbelievable expensive gaharu product somewhere before but mind you, those gaharu might be extracted from the wild (assuming no plantation can produce any at the moment). Good quality gaharu can fetch a price as high as rm60-70 per gram (rough estimation). Yes I know that it is kind of crazy but people actually pay to buy this stuff. Now back to the planting of the tree. Based on some data from Thailand which is way ahead of us in research. Gaharu produced in plantation will most likely give you grade "C" gaharu which can be sold as USD100 per kilo (around rm300, another rough estimation since i dont have my file with me now). So the real question is, Is it worth planting a tree for 7 years in hope of a return of rm300 per tree assuming the minimum resin production is 1 kilo per tree? There are actually a lot more to discuss here but I can only think about this for the time being.
temptation1314
post Oct 12 2007, 02:23 PM

Specials : 1,000,000 Spam Post Attack
2,287 posts

QUOTE(keith_hjinhoh @ Oct 12 2007, 11:24 AM)
I dont think it's so easy as planting it, then it will grow. Trees need time and skills to maintain it unfortunately...
It's not regarding easy or not to grow. This kind of market are the same like mushroom. It will grow whenever there's a chance to grow. smile.gif If you get what I mean.
TSamirbashah
post Oct 12 2007, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(eehtsitna @ Oct 12 2007, 02:15 PM)
In my opinion, it is always a great investment to plant tree (because I am a forester tongue.gif). I have to first make myself clear that I am not trying to prevent you guys to plant the tree. Instead I want you guys to think about what I have to say and YOU yourself have to analyze the risk involve.

At the time being, there are alot of people in West Malaysia that is planting the tree. I myself know a close friend that has around two thousand tree intercropped in his oil palm estate which is growing nicely. What everyone has in mind is that "there are money to be made here" so they started to plant lots of it. What alot of people does not know is that planting the tree alone is not enough!!! In layman's term, you have to "treat" this tree in order for it to produce the valuable resin. Frankly speaking, this so called "treatment" is quite new to Malaysia and we did not have any convincing result that there is an effective treatment that we can use on the tree. At the moment, a lot of R&D department including the one that I am working in at the moment is testing the treatment out. On our side, we will at least need another 1 year to get some result. So for those that is interested to invest. You might have to take the risk that there might not be an effective treatment technique out there that you can use and the worse scenario is that you might need more than 7 years to grow the tree and you have to sell them off as timber or other wood based product.

Next is the price. You might have heard of those unbelievable expensive gaharu product somewhere before but mind you, those gaharu might be extracted from the wild (assuming no plantation can produce any at the moment). Good quality gaharu can fetch a price as high as rm60-70 per gram (rough estimation). Yes I know that it is kind of crazy but people actually pay to buy this stuff. Now back to the planting of the tree. Based on some data from Thailand which is way ahead of us in research. Gaharu produced in plantation will most likely give you grade "C" gaharu which can be sold as USD100 per kilo (around rm300, another rough estimation since i dont have my file with me now). So the real question is, Is it worth planting a tree for 7 years in hope of a return of rm300 per tree assuming the minimum resin production is 1 kilo per tree? There are actually a lot more to discuss here but I can only think about this for the time being.
If I'm not mistaken,the researcher who introduced me to gaharu told me they have found a way to create the resin from the trees.He's working in Malaysian Institute for Nuclear Technology Research (MINT) and they claimed that they have found the method to create the resin.Furthermore,he said even MARDI or other government institutions haven't found the treatment yet.To be honest,I'm a bit skeptical about it.I'm sure you are familiar with injecting the trees to create agarwood.By the way,which company or institution are you from?Well,I guess I have to do a thorough research first before I invest in these trees.

Added on October 12, 2007, 11:45 pmAnw, Selamat Hari Raya to all Muslims.

This post has been edited by amirbashah: Oct 12 2007, 11:45 PM
tuo850
post Oct 13 2007, 12:05 PM

Enthusiast
756 posts

From what i've heard, the demand for these artificialy created resin in the middle east has drop due to the allergic & flu the arab gets after using it in their house.
And the is one company in kelantan which is giving free 'dopu' tree to be planted by land owner and from the brochure that i saw this morning during Raya gathering at my mother in law house, it is our beloved Tengku Anis who give out these free dopu tree. maybe i could scan the brochure and paste it here but this is raya day. maybe tomorrow i post it.

he he posting using D810 + celcom 3g
jeffblazed
post Oct 13 2007, 12:46 PM

Getting Started
204 posts

there are only a few suitable place to plant this tree in malaysia one of it is in pahang near bentong one of my partner friend has already done this for the past two years.....so now is waiting for the tree to mature
TSamirbashah
post Oct 14 2007, 03:14 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(tuo850 @ Oct 13 2007, 12:05 PM)
From what i've heard, the demand for these artificialy created resin in the middle east has drop due to the allergic & flu the arab gets after using it in their house.
And the is one company in kelantan which is giving free 'dopu' tree to be planted by land owner and from the brochure that i saw  this morning during Raya gathering at my mother in law house, it is our beloved Tengku Anis who give out these free dopu tree. maybe i could scan the brochure and paste it here but this is raya day. maybe tomorrow i post it.

he he posting using D810 + celcom 3g
What's a dopu tree?What it's usually called in Malay?Hope you could post the pictures/brochure a.s.a.p.zzThanks.

Added on October 14, 2007, 3:18 am
QUOTE(jeffblazed @ Oct 13 2007, 12:46 PM)
there are only a few suitable place to plant this tree in malaysia one of it is in pahang near bentong one of my partner friend has already done this for the past two years.....so now is waiting for the tree to mature
So what was your friend's opinion or yours about the plant?Do you think it could make a lot of money as people perceive it could?

This post has been edited by amirbashah: Oct 14 2007, 03:18 AM
jeffblazed
post Oct 14 2007, 12:40 PM

Getting Started
204 posts

QUOTE(amirbashah @ Oct 14 2007, 03:14 AM)
What's a dopu tree?What it's usually called in Malay?Hope you could post the pictures/brochure a.s.a.p.zzThanks.

Added on October 14, 2007, 3:18 am

So what was your friend's opinion or yours about the plant?Do you think it could make a lot of money as people perceive it could?
it might make alot of money when it works but have to wait and see
TSamirbashah
post Oct 14 2007, 06:49 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

Bila menyebut gaharu, ramai di antara kita yang membayangkan harganya yang begitu mahal sehingga ada yang mengatakan ia lebih bernilai dari emas. Harganya boleh mencecah sehingga RM14,000 - RM20,000 sekilogram untuk kepingan gaharu yang bermutu tinggi. Namun, semua hasil ini diambil dari hutan dan kini realitinya, pokok karas diancam kepupusan.Tanpa kesedaran untuk penanaman semula, negara kita mungkin tidak lagi dapat mengeksport hasil gaharu yang begitu tinggi permintaannya ke negara-negara Timur Tengah dan juga negara lain seperti Taiwan, Jepun dan sebagainya. Mungkin kita patut menoleh ke negara jiran yang lain seperti Indonesia, Thailand dan Myamar, mereka sudah jauh meninggalkan kita dari segi teknologi dan perladangan.
Mungkin, kekurangan sumber maklumat yang tepat dan juga permulaan modal yang tinggi untuk diusahakan secara komersil menjadi faktor ia kurang diminati. Wajar, agensi - agensi kerajaan yang ada memainkan peranan dalam menyalurkan fakta yang lengkap dan perkembangan teknologi harus dicapai dalam usaha menjadikan ia sebagai industri direalisasikan.Ramai di antara kita yang tidak sedar, usaha penanaman pokok karas sudahpun dilakukan oleh beberapa agensi yang ada di beberapa tempat di negara kita, juga penyelidikan dalam penghasilan gaharu melalui kaedah suntikan dan inokulasi juga giat dijalankan.Namun, kurangnya pendedahan dan pengumpulan maklumat, ia kurang memberi impak dalam pelaksanaannya.Untuk mereka yang berminat dalam penanaman pokok karas, mungkin ada berita gembira. Mulai tahun hadapan (2007), teknologi dalam penghasilan gaharu akan dibawa masuk ke negara kita. Usaha menjemput Prof. Blanchette oleh satu agensi kerajaan adalah sangat tepat pada masanya. Namun, jika kita tidak menanamnya, teknologi tiada makna.Berbalik kepada usaha penanaman pokok karas secara ladang, beberapa faktor harus dipertimbangkan seperti pemilihan anak benih, jarak tanaman, kaedah tanaman, kaedah suntikan dan pasaran. Ia harus dinilai untuk meminimakan risiko yang ada dan mendapat hasil yang maksima selepas 7 tahun pelaburan.Pertamanya, pemilihan anak benih sering menjadi persoalan. Ada yang mengatakan spesis A lebih baik dari spesis B dan ada yang sebaliknya kerana ia lebih cepat membesar dan lebih mahal. Seharusnya kita meneliti semula beberapa kajian, pokok karas sebenarnya mempunyai method yang berbeza dengan pokok lain. Pokok yang sihat dan membesar dengan cepat menghasilkan resin gaharu yang sedikit berbanding pokok yang sakit dan diganggu. Ia sebenarnya selari dengan kejadian semulajadi gaharu di dalam hutan, pokok yang berada di kawasan berbatu dan mengalami tindakbalas kecederaan yang teruk menghasilkan gaharu yang lebih bermutu. Kita juga harus melihat kepada permintaan pasaran, spesis manakah yang menjadi pilihan pembeli dan mempunyai harga yang tinggi. Spesis Aquilaria Malaccencis adalah merupakan salah satu spesis yang mempunyai nilai komersil yang tinggi.Manakala kaedah penanaman, jarak penanaman 6"x6" atau 10"x10" menghasilkan jumlah tanaman pada 430 pokok atau 1,000 pokok seekar. Penanaman secara intergrasi adalah lebih meminimunkan risiko, malahan memberi pulangan jangka pendek yang boleh menampung kos keseluruhan. Sulaman boleh dilakukan dengan tanaman herba dan tanaman kontang. Penjarakkan yang sesuai harus dilihat. Selepas pokok karas mencapai usia 5 tahun, suntikan sejenis enzim dilakukan untuk penghasilan gaharu dan dibiarkan selama 2 tahun sebelum mendapat hasil. Perlu diingatkan, tanpa teknologi ini pokok karas tidak akan membentuk gaharu di dalamnya. Berbeza dengan semulajadi, gaharu terbentuk pada usia pokok 20 - 40 tahun melalui gangguan oleh fizikal atau microrganisme.
Banyak laporan di dada akhbar dan laman web, menyatakan setiap pokok menghasilkan gaharu bernilai sehingga RM14,000 - RM18,000. Tetapi, kita perlu menilai setiap aspek dan risiko. Mungkin tidak keterlaluan jika kita meletakkan RM1,000 sahaja untuk sepokok yang menghasilkan gaharu. Bayangkan anda menanam 1,000 pokok dan anda tentu dapat mengira angkanya. Malahan jika hanya 50% sahaja yang menjadi, jumlah pendapatannya masih tinggi! Oleh itu, amat penting untuk kita semua memperolehi sebanyak mungkin maklumat untuk merealisasikan penanaman pokok karas secara ladang. Diharapkan ada agensi yang bertindak sebagai pemantau dan dapat menyimpan data semua ladang karas di negara kita. Maklumat sebegini amat berguna untuk rujukan dimasa akan datang.

Sorry guys,I dont have the English version.Hope this is ok.

aeiou228
post Oct 15 2007, 10:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,829 posts

Not worth the money and time dump into a venture that is uncertain, unpredictable, no proven success method.
TSamirbashah
post Oct 17 2007, 05:54 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Oct 15 2007, 10:15 AM)
Not worth the money and time dump into a venture that is uncertain, unpredictable, no proven success method.
How would you know it's not worth is?Read all of my post.

19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0295sec    0.56    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:50 PM