Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Economy Paint, Matex vs Jotaplast vs Maxilite

views

Autocountstick
post Oct 17 2022, 02:02 PM

Casual
465 posts

user posted image

Hi all sifus, hope can help me. noob questions. i would like to repaint to white. which paint i should use to cover existing colour green & red?must use primer or emulsion paint? do i need to scrape off the existing paint?or just apply paint to cover up the colour? Thanks
hotNcool
post Oct 17 2022, 03:32 PM

Getting Started
212 posts

QUOTE(Autocountstick @ Oct 17 2022, 02:02 PM)
user posted image

Hi all sifus, hope can help me. noob questions. i would like to repaint to white. which paint i should use to cover existing colour green & red?must use primer or emulsion paint? do i need to scrape off the existing paint?or just apply paint to cover up the colour? Thanks
you got the same repaint related problem like me,
i cover it with 1 layer of nippon matex , but another layer is needed to completely cover it,
the rest of the wall, not yet done, an paint expert uncle suggest us put sealer 5400 before color paint, we makan the word he say ' it will last longer' because we lazy to repaint it after a decade or so...
some sifus here suggest that good wall without chalking feel can just paint with matex or maxilite , if you got the budget then (expensive ) sealer will also do
i learnt a lot bout paint here! so graceful
mini orchard
post Oct 17 2022, 04:15 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(hotNcool @ Oct 17 2022, 03:32 PM)
i cover it with 1 layer of nippon matex ,  but another layer is needed to completely cover it,
the rest of the wall, not yet done, an paint expert uncle suggest us put sealer 5400 before color paint, we makan the word he say ' it will last longer' because we lazy to repaint it after a decade or so...
some sifus here suggest that good wall without chalking feel can just paint with matex or maxilite , if you got the budget then (expensive ) sealer will also do
Hope you share your experienced with others.

This post has been edited by mini orchard: Oct 17 2022, 04:15 PM
Autocountstick
post Oct 17 2022, 04:35 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(hotNcool @ Oct 17 2022, 03:32 PM)
i cover it with 1 layer of nippon matex ,  but another layer is needed to completely cover it,
Thanks for sharing bro, you mean paint 2layers or more of nippon matex able to cover up wall? for last longer suggest better paint sealer 1st layer the 2nd layer paint nippon matex?no need sand off the existing wall colour?
actually i want less work, if expensive abit i dont mind. which way better
1. use nippon matex white paint 2layers
2. paint sealer 1st layer and 2nd layer paint nippon matex white
3. use primer for 1 layer (i saw some bro suggest sand it,then 1st layer nippon matex 2nd layer primer can last longer, not sure is work? but i dont want sand it)

anyone sifus can give suggestion? Thanks

user posted image
user posted image
hotNcool
post Oct 18 2022, 08:19 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Oct 17 2022, 04:15 PM)
Hope you share your experienced with others.
can can

QUOTE(Autocountstick @ Oct 17 2022, 04:35 PM)
Thanks for sharing bro, you mean paint 2layers or more of nippon matex able to cover up wall? for last longer suggest better paint sealer 1st layer the 2nd layer paint nippon matex?no need sand off the existing wall colour?
3. use primer for 1 layer (i saw some bro suggest sand it,then 1st layer nippon matex 2nd layer primer can last longer, not sure is work? but i dont want sand it)

anyone sifus can give suggestion? Thanks

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
because my wall is painted this not so fancy color as in the picture, i was having a headache solving it, from forum, i learnt that it can be rather easy( may depends on your wall condition), these wall i think it painted not more than 5 or 6 years ( it's a subsale house) and the wall is not chalky and powdery, when we rolling the matex on the surface, no paint fragment fall off, this previous paint stick so well to the wall...

i got my response from sifus about maxilite but i ended up purchased nippon matex, i didint come accross maxilite , but imo i think the matex texture is more thick i can say, it dried pretty fast ( we opened the glass sliding door but turn on no fan in the late evening
user posted image
only 1 layer
1 or 2 layers really depend on its coverage, mine need 2 layers for retouch, we not yet retouch second layer even now rolleyes.gif
as you can see from the picture, my wall surface (i figured out it is a special paint technique using machine paint gun to spray and form a thick pigmentation wall) and the matex layer is not even, so you still can see the red still can be seen in some spot

from what i red in this forum, if the wall still nice to touch and no peeling or yellow staining caused by moisture, we just can paint a new layer direct on it without sanding or peel off the previous paint, sanding is so difficult and waste tons of time and its so dusty

for me, i want white series color paint on my dark tone wall , i have to repaint it with white (sealer (today going to buy it and try it on to see how many sealer i need to apply, maybe in a day or two for another purple wall) or matex/ maxilite)
if you desire a darker paint on your current wall, can just paint over like jotun monsoon cloud color (please correct me if im wrong)

im positive on the sealer as the 1st layer for a better foundation, but matex as the finishing rclxub.gif im not so sure about it lar, let's wait for other to share theirs
(because hor , some say matex or maxilite will slowly luntur of come off after ages and even when you cleaning a stain on it with a damp cloth/ kain buruk)

im dont know what is primer actually, i just so into sealer and paint brand only,, wish to know more what is primer and its purpose too thumbsup.gif
yesterday i came across a youtuber sharing bout paints and preparation before painting, i havent finish it coz my internet and wifi so broke dry.gif
try to watch it if you can understand mandarin, its consists so much info and hope it clear you out thumbsup.gif
user posted image
hotNcool
post Oct 18 2022, 08:22 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

btw, sealer got water based (for quite good wall condition) and solvent based (raw and unsealed, powdery wall)
maybe sealant suits the exterior wall with existing paint for repaint purpose,
hope someone can share, i got exterior wall to deal with too hmm.gif
Autocountstick
post Oct 19 2022, 01:01 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(hotNcool @ Oct 18 2022, 08:19 AM)
can can
user posted image
because my wall is painted this not so fancy color as in the picture, i was having a headache solving it, from forum, i learnt that it can be rather easy( may depends on your wall condition), these wall i think it painted not more than 5 or 6 years ( it's a subsale house) and the wall is not chalky and powdery, when we rolling the matex on the surface, no paint fragment fall off, this previous paint stick so well to the wall...
i got my response from sifus about  maxilite but i ended up purchased nippon matex, i didint come accross maxilite , but imo i think the matex texture is more thick i can say, it dried pretty fast ( we opened the glass sliding door but turn on no fan in the late evening
user posted image
only 1 layer
1 or 2 layers really depend on its coverage, mine need 2 layers for retouch, we not yet retouch second layer even now rolleyes.gif
as you can see from the picture, my wall surface (i figured out it is a special paint technique using machine paint gun to spray and form a thick pigmentation wall) and the matex layer is not even, so you still can see the red still can be seen in some spot 

from what i red in this forum, if the wall still nice to touch and no peeling or yellow staining caused by moisture, we just can paint a new layer direct on it without sanding or peel off the previous paint, sanding is so difficult and waste tons of time and its so dusty

for  me, i want white series color paint on my dark tone wall , i have to repaint it with white (sealer (today going to buy it and try it on to see how many sealer i need to apply, maybe  in a day or two for another purple wall) or matex/ maxilite)
if you desire a darker paint on your current wall, can just paint over like jotun monsoon cloud color (please correct me if im wrong)

im positive on the sealer as the 1st layer for a better foundation, but matex as the finishing  rclxub.gif im not so sure about it lar, let's wait for other to share theirs
(because hor , some say matex or maxilite will slowly luntur of come off after ages and even when you cleaning a stain on it  with a damp cloth/ kain buruk)

im dont know what is primer actually, i just so into sealer and paint brand only,, wish to know more what is primer and its purpose too thumbsup.gif
yesterday i came across a youtuber sharing bout paints and preparation before painting, i havent finish it coz my internet and wifi so broke dry.gif 
try to watch it if you can understand mandarin, its consists so much info and hope it clear you out thumbsup.gif
user posted image
Hi Bro, thanks for you input information. Your experience useful and study on it. would to share with you this video cause i find is really for those want paint to cover up the dark colour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbs82NHBW34)
After i survey i only got two options not sure is better.

1. if go nippon matex white 2layers which is the cheapest RM83 18litre, triple price compare with Jotun cover up
2. Jotun cover plus sheen 2layers, Malaysia cant find dulux super hide. (this is expensive RM280 20litre) but i think most likely can cover up.

user posted image
adamtayy
post Oct 19 2022, 01:54 PM

Regular
1,121 posts

QUOTE(Jitty @ Apr 21 2022, 02:11 PM)
Dear all LYN sifus,Good afternoon.
i am renovating my house right now.
the existing wall color is light blue/purple color.
i wish to paint it white.
My contractor told me the most cheap and budget friendly method shall be maxilite which cost around RM 160
I went to paint shop and tell told me had to primer + paint which cost around RM 580
while some shopee shop owner told be I can straight away JOTAPLAST Max which cost around Rm 158

I wish to consult all LYN sifus that had such experience.
if I want to paint a house with budget friendly cost, which option shall I go for?
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Maxilite is for first coating.. only..
In chinese, we called it 'chui chat'

You need actual paint like nippon / dulux ... for permanent layer
Autocountstick
post Oct 19 2022, 02:51 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(adamtayy @ Oct 19 2022, 01:54 PM)
Maxilite is for first coating.. only..
In chinese, we called it 'chui chat'

You need actual paint like nippon / dulux ... for permanent layer
Hi Bro, thanks bro, just want to ask after first coating 1 layer only? and paint nippon/dulux 1 layer? enough to cover up the dark wall?
but i saw some video paint 2layer of nippon/dulux permanent layer to cover the dark wall. sifus please help us....
mini orchard
post Oct 19 2022, 09:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(Autocountstick @ Oct 19 2022, 02:51 PM)
Hi Bro, thanks bro, just want to ask after first coating 1 layer only? and paint nippon/dulux 1 layer? enough to cover up the dark wall?
but i saw some video paint 2layer of nippon/dulux permanent layer to cover the dark wall. sifus please help us....
Is not about 1 + 1 = 2.

Painting is about judgement. If you dont like what you see, then add another coat.

zytan87
post Dec 8 2022, 11:22 AM

21 posts

hi all sifu, can i use nippon paint sealer with jotun topcoat? or need to use same brand for both?
mini orchard
post Dec 8 2022, 03:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(zytan87 @ Dec 8 2022, 11:22 AM)
hi all sifu, can i use nippon paint sealer with jotun topcoat? or need to use same brand for both?
Can mix and match.

Why sealer ? Any economy paint like maxilite is also a 'sealer' ... cheap and fast dry for next coat compared to sealer.
zytan87
post Dec 9 2022, 08:31 AM

21 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Dec 8 2022, 03:05 PM)
Can mix and match.

Why sealer ? Any economy paint like maxilite is also a 'sealer' ... cheap and fast dry for next coat compared to sealer.
because i want to repaint outdoor fencing, so better to use sealer tongue.gif
from my survey found out that nippon paint sealer is cheaper and jotun topcoat is cheaper, so i am thinking these two use together can last long or not...

for indoor i use sealer for lately done plaster ceiling, my contractor said will have some powder drop off after few years if dont use sealer. other repaint wall and ceiling all i use nippon maxi white RM75/drum

This post has been edited by zytan87: Dec 9 2022, 08:34 AM
mini orchard
post Dec 9 2022, 10:24 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(zytan87 @ Dec 9 2022, 08:31 AM)
because i want to repaint outdoor fencing, so better to use sealer tongue.gif
from my survey found out that nippon paint sealer is cheaper and jotun topcoat is cheaper, so i am thinking these two use together can last long or not...

for indoor i use sealer for lately done plaster ceiling, my contractor said will have some powder drop off after few years if dont use sealer. other repaint wall and ceiling  all i use nippon maxi white RM75/drum
The purpose of sealer is to prevent moisture from penetrating the other side of the wall. But if is shared garden brick fencing, it doesnt serve its purpose if the neighbour dont do anything.

In my opinion, it is better to use a weather shield paint and do it every few years and you get a new coat .... that what I did.
zytan87
post Dec 9 2022, 11:23 AM

21 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Dec 9 2022, 10:24 AM)
The purpose of sealer is to prevent moisture from penetrating the other side of the wall. But if is shared garden brick fencing, it doesnt serve its purpose if the neighbour dont do anything.

In my opinion, it is better to use a weather shield paint and do it every few years and you get a new coat .... that what I did.
means that i just wash the fencing then just apply the topcoat on it will do? if like that i can save alot of time tongue.gif
i am thinking to use jotun antifade, say can last for 8 yrs...
mini orchard
post Dec 9 2022, 11:33 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(zytan87 @ Dec 9 2022, 11:23 AM)
means that i just wash the fencing then just apply the topcoat on it will do? if like that i can save alot of time tongue.gif
i am thinking to use jotun antifade, say can last for 8 yrs...
Yes.

Fencing will get dirty very fast esp if there are trees and plants near to it. Overgrown trees will prevent quick drying of wall after raining and it gets moldy faster no matter what paint.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0150sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:15 PM