Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[2020] Mac Mini with M1 Discussion Thread

views

yvliew
post Nov 8 2021, 09:17 AM

Listening to IU - Strawberry Moon
3,517 posts

QUOTE(dannygeni @ Nov 7 2021, 09:59 AM)
Hi guys.  Upgrade mine from 2014 to M1 in 2days.  Waiting arrival is sad.  Lol.  We need install this rosetta2 if want run apps for Intel Mac right? Like Microsoft office
I'm using office 365 and downloaded from microsoft, it's universal already meaning support natively for M1 and also intel.
dikae
post Nov 8 2021, 10:14 AM

an apple a day
Group Icon
Staff
8,733 posts

QUOTE(dannygeni @ Nov 7 2021, 09:59 AM)
Hi guys.  Upgrade mine from 2014 to M1 in 2days.  Waiting arrival is sad.  Lol.  We need install this rosetta2 if want run apps for Intel Mac right? Like Microsoft office
QUOTE(yvliew @ Nov 8 2021, 09:17 AM)
I'm using office 365 and downloaded from microsoft, it's universal already meaning support natively for M1 and also intel.
Yeap I'm also using office 365, but it requires monthly license subscription..
dannygeni
post Nov 8 2021, 10:18 AM

Regular
1,804 posts

QUOTE(yvliew @ Nov 8 2021, 09:17 AM)
ok thanks
yvliew
post Nov 9 2021, 02:14 PM

3,517 posts

anyone know what app can use for split window screen?
x3iQuanta
post Nov 9 2021, 05:36 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

QUOTE(yvliew @ Nov 9 2021, 02:14 PM)
anyone know what app can use for split window screen?
Check out Rectangle. Free and open-source app. Very useful once you learn the keyboard shortcuts.
yvliew
post Nov 9 2021, 05:49 PM

3,517 posts

QUOTE(x3iQuanta @ Nov 9 2021, 05:36 PM)
Check out Rectangle. Free and open-source app. Very useful once you learn the keyboard shortcuts.
Thanks. Will take a look.
ck.chunkeat
post Nov 20 2021, 12:22 PM

Change.
1,322 posts

Thinking of choosing between mac mini m1 vs macbook air m1. Planning to utilize the tax relief.
At the base spec, there's a difference of 1.2k. which is down to laptop vs desktop (portability).
I have external keyboard, mouse and monitor. Didn't use the screen on the laptop anymore, so no need to spend additional on those peripherals, but probably might need to fork out extra to get usb-c docking if i were to get macbook air.

As of now, my 9 year old lenovo y580 is still going strong with no lag for my current usage (thanks to the ssd and 8gb ram).

My usage is just normal web browsing, watching movies/videos , with occasional light gaming.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Have been preparing to get a new laptop with 3.5k budget while waiting for my current laptop to die. Interested to get this m1 version of mac due to performance and efficiency and also to dip my toe into mac since being a lifetime windows user.

This post has been edited by ck.chunkeat: Nov 20 2021, 12:25 PM
dikae
post Nov 20 2021, 12:47 PM

an apple a day
Group Icon
Staff
8,733 posts

QUOTE(ck.chunkeat @ Nov 20 2021, 12:22 PM)
Thinking of choosing between mac mini m1 vs macbook air m1. Planning to utilize the tax relief.
At the base spec, there's a difference of 1.2k. which is down to laptop vs desktop (portability).
I have external keyboard, mouse and monitor. Didn't use the screen on the laptop anymore, so no need to spend additional on those peripherals, but probably might need to fork out extra to get usb-c docking if i were to get macbook air.

As of now, my 9 year old lenovo y580 is still going strong with no lag for my current usage (thanks to the ssd and 8gb ram).

My usage is just normal web browsing, watching movies/videos , with occasional light gaming.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Have been preparing to get a new laptop with 3.5k budget while waiting for my current laptop to die. Interested to get this m1 version of mac due to performance and efficiency and also to dip my toe into mac since being a lifetime windows user.
Both also powerful machines, shouldn’t be too hard to decide since one is a desktop and another is laptop. I think your dilemma is because you already have a Lenovo y580 hence don’t see the reason of having 2 laptops around..

I would further narrow down my decision by seeing how much do you need a stationery machine to be used at home or office, vs the time you spent bringing your machine around. My pick though, would be a M1 mba…I’m all in for portability…I would either keep the Lenovo for spare or give it someone else who needs it..or use both for different functions..
ck.chunkeat
post Nov 20 2021, 01:00 PM

Change.
1,322 posts

QUOTE(dikae @ Nov 20 2021, 12:47 PM)
Both also powerful machines, shouldn’t be too hard to decide since one is a desktop and another is laptop. I think your dilemma is because you already have a Lenovo y580 hence don’t see the reason of having 2 laptops around..

I would further narrow down my decision by seeing how much do you need a stationery machine to be used at home or office, vs the time you spent bringing your machine around. My pick though, would be a M1 mba…I’m all in for portability…I would either keep the Lenovo for spare or give it someone else who needs it..or use both for different functions..
As of now I dont see myself bringing the laptop around. But I understand portability is always welcomed.

Main concern is not having 2 laptops, if I were to say , it's the price . My style is to only spend if it is necessary. So I'm contemplating between spending the extra 1-2k for the portability or use a portion of the money to upgrade the mac mini's ram to 16gb.
dikae
post Nov 20 2021, 02:49 PM

an apple a day
Group Icon
Staff
8,733 posts

QUOTE(ck.chunkeat @ Nov 20 2021, 01:00 PM)
As of now I dont see myself bringing the laptop around. But I understand portability is always welcomed.

Main concern is not having 2 laptops, if I were to say , it's the price . My style is to only spend if it is necessary. So I'm contemplating between spending the extra 1-2k for the portability or use a portion of the money to upgrade the mac mini's ram to 16gb.
If don’t see yourself bringing it around then just get the Mac mini 16gb ram smile.gif
ygchan
post Nov 24 2021, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

Probably when will got new Mac Mini with M2 or M1 Max?
yvliew
post Nov 24 2021, 08:56 PM

3,517 posts

QUOTE(ygchan @ Nov 24 2021, 03:20 PM)
Probably when will got new Mac Mini with M2 or M1 Max?
Don't see it being upgraded again for a while. The next M1 Pro or Max line up will probably go to iMac Pro first.. Mac Mini will stay as cheapest mac appel can offer.
ygchan
post Nov 24 2021, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(yvliew @ Nov 24 2021, 08:56 PM)
Don't see it being upgraded again for a while. The next M1 Pro or Max line up will probably go to iMac Pro first.. Mac Mini will stay as cheapest mac appel can offer.
Is it Mac mini can survive longer than MacBook ? in terms of battery, my previous PC battery swollen , luckily I managed to change battery myself, little saving. Working fine now, just my hand GATAL to try Mac OS. LOL

from what I see , current MacBook Pro design likely allow us to change battery ourself?
Intimidated
post Nov 25 2021, 08:39 AM

499 posts

Anyone kena zap from touching the Mac mini M1 body?

At first I thought its static, but the zap only happens when the power is on
ygchan
post Nov 25 2021, 09:29 AM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(Intimidated @ Nov 25 2021, 08:39 AM)
Anyone kena zap from touching the Mac mini M1 body?

At first I thought its static, but the zap only happens when the power is on
Happen to me when charging MBA

This post has been edited by ygchan: Nov 25 2021, 09:30 AM
dikae
post Nov 25 2021, 11:05 AM

an apple a day
Group Icon
Staff
8,733 posts

QUOTE(ygchan @ Nov 24 2021, 10:05 PM)
Is it Mac mini can survive longer than MacBook ? in terms of battery, my previous PC battery swollen , luckily I managed to change battery myself, little saving. Working fine now, just my hand GATAL to try Mac OS. LOL

from what I see , current MacBook Pro design likely allow us to change battery ourself?
laptop is the worse when it comes to battery so yes the mac mini survives longer if you are using it for long daily hours.. the macbook provides portability though, which is one of the main criteria for certain people who uses it mobile..
zzzhhhzzz
post Nov 29 2021, 10:35 AM

Regular
1,652 posts

Anyone here using M1 Mac Mini as HTPC ? Mainly will like to use it to watch Astro go, netflix, disney + and some 4K rip... anyone having good experience with this ?
Neo_Y
post Nov 30 2021, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
219 posts

What are the best monitors for Mac Mini M1 ya?
After some research, the monitor itself probably cost more than the Mac Mini, or better opt for the M1 iMac?
Intimidated
post Dec 3 2021, 08:43 PM

499 posts

QUOTE(ygchan @ Nov 25 2021, 09:29 AM)
Happen to me when charging MBA
Grounded the monitor, no more zap zap

Discovered this when I accidentally touched the monitor, which switched off and unplugged, and got zapped

That time only the Mac Mini was plugged in (but not booted up) and connected to monitor via VGA

Test pen lighted up

After grounding the monitor, no more zap

For MBA you can ground the charger
ygchan
post Dec 3 2021, 09:48 PM

Getting Started
296 posts

QUOTE(Intimidated @ Dec 3 2021, 08:43 PM)
Grounded the monitor, no more zap zap

Discovered this when I accidentally touched the monitor, which switched off and unplugged, and got zapped

That time only the Mac Mini was plugged in (but not booted up) and connected to monitor via VGA

Test pen lighted up

After grounding the monitor, no more zap

For MBA you can ground the charger
How to ground the charger? Thank you

28 Pages « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0197sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:19 PM