11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Royal Enfield Continental GT, Test ride & brand impressions

views

TSlowpro
post Aug 21 2020, 08:38 AM, updated 2 months ago

Getting Started
139 posts

What do you guys think of the Royal Enfield brand here in Malaysia? Indian made but British brand name - They still have English ties. Harris Performance which Royal Enfield owns is still based in UK. I recently test rode the Continental GT 650 twin which is a cafe racer type bike and the Himalayan a single cylinder 410cc ADV. I found the Himalayan pretty decent as it's lower seat height made it more accessible to shorties like me but for a single, I found it maybe a bit pricey. What I like is the Conti 650. Very punchy engine despite having just 47hp. The throttle response was pretty good and handling was decent as well. Build quality not at Triumph levels but acceptable to me for the lower price at about 47k.

Would like to know your thoughts guys on the brand, servicing (very limited now) and also the Continental GT or Interceptor in comparison to the obvious rivals (those who have ridden the rivals do chip in with your comments) - Triumph street twin 900 and Moto Guzzi V7 III 750 and maybe the Kawa W800. Love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Personally, I prefer the slightly more aggressive acceleration of the Conti GT as compared to the V7 and Street Twin despite having lower power...could be the gearing or torque settings. And the cafe racer position (where the handle bars are taken care of by clip on units and the rider footpegs are set slightly higher and further back as compared to its more relaxed sibling, the Interceptor) also gave it a slightly sharper turn in when cornering as the rider's weight is shifted slight more to the front.

As for the Himalayan, well, I'm not so much a fan of ADVs in the first place... but do share if you have an opinion. For someone with shorter inseams, I think this would be cool for them, especially those looking for something not intimidating in terms of height, which is not from your usual Japanese suspects and, with a 'lower' price that is easy to ride and handle as well.

They sell more of their classic 500 though as I was told but those too are not my cup of tea as well.

There are more techy, modern cafe racer or retro inspired Japanese models like the SV650X and the Kawa Z900RS or even the Honda CB1000R but those are a very different kettle of fish altogether. Same formula but thoroughly different in execution - very much more modernised.

Picture courtesy of Motorcyclenews.net

This post has been edited by lowpro: Aug 21 2020, 10:01 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
basilisk
post Aug 21 2020, 12:23 PM

30 posts

no experience, just wana kepoh.. lol.

RE, the indians know best, it's national treasure, very sure got tons of infos from them.

Here. Its the only (big cc) new bike with a very old design+look. Over price yes, resale value sure drop alot aswell.

Saw 2016 street twin for 37k, almost twice the low end torque of re650. It's easy to lower the bars, not sure bout clíp ons.user posted image

This post has been edited by basilisk: Aug 21 2020, 12:27 PM
basilisk
post Sep 2 2020, 01:01 PM

30 posts

2011 w800 for 28k...

as retro as u can get... smile.gif

https://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=85194051&shar...&share_to=other
TSlowpro
post Sep 2 2020, 06:40 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Sep 2 2020, 01:01 PM)
2011 w800 for 28k...

It is really a good price but it just doesn't capture the attention. I do love the Speed Twin though but that (new) is almost double the price of the RE Conti GT. Even the Street twin is about 10k more than the RE. For the kind of pull the RE offers and at its price point, it looks like a good deal, just don't expect Triumph levels of build though. Wondering about aftersales support too
TSlowpro
post Sep 2 2020, 06:42 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 21 2020, 12:23 PM)
no experience, just wana kepoh.. lol.

RE, the indians know best, it's national treasure, very sure got tons of infos from them.

Here. Its the only (big cc) new bike with a very old design+look. Over price yes, resale value sure drop alot aswell.

Saw 2016 street twin for 37k, almost twice the low end torque of re650. It's easy to lower the bars, not sure bout clíp ons.user posted image
The 2019 Street Twins are best though. Comes with better brakes and 10hp more than the earlier models.
basilisk
post Sep 20 2020, 10:37 PM

30 posts

user posted image

user posted image

malaysia RE owners....
TSlowpro
post Sep 22 2020, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Sep 20 2020, 10:37 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

malaysia RE owners....
Yup, I think I got in touch with some of them via FB. So far they say the bike is pretty reliable and have no issues so far. Brand really needs more marketing apart from FB!
TSlowpro
post Sep 22 2020, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Sep 2 2020, 01:01 PM)
2011 w800 for 28k...

Actually I am not into really retro, retro. I do like it skewed a bit more towards modern like maybe 55% modern and just the looks 45% retro. So I do like bikes like the R9T or the Street and Speed twins but I like Royal Enfield's price. A Japanese modern retro I was considering is the SV650X. That is pretty cool. Lower price too than the RE.

This post has been edited by lowpro: Sep 22 2020, 02:24 PM
basilisk
post Sep 22 2020, 02:45 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Sep 22 2020, 02:13 PM)
Yup, I think I got in touch with some of them via FB. So far they say the bike is pretty reliable and have no issues so far. Brand really needs more marketing apart from FB!
they know the price is high... it's for niche market...
basilisk
post Oct 10 2020, 09:02 PM

30 posts

RE is setting up kilang in Thailand.

so mebe in 2yrs time, will be bit cheaper here...

user posted image
TSlowpro
post Oct 12 2020, 01:49 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 10 2020, 09:02 PM)
RE is setting up kilang in Thailand.

so mebe in 2yrs time, will be bit cheaper here...

user posted image
I hope so. Seems they are under threat too from newer models and other brands even in India - Kawasaki W175 and the Honda H'ness 350. They need to seriously do 2 things - 1) modernise their line-up like Triumph (I have always said Triumph had a good business model mix of retro and modern bikes to find the younger market). The other thing they need is look at emerging trends. They can't go on selling old flavoured bikes to their home market forever while ignoring the requirements of the international market.

As for the local market, to put the 650 twins with taxes, on the road below RM40k would open up a wider market for them. Now it is priced really too close to the Triumph Street Twin and you can also get multiple Japanese bikes with way more cc and performance. The retro market here is very niche so they need a strong USP to pull numbers away from Triumph and the similarly priced Japanese bikes.
basilisk
post Oct 25 2020, 03:40 PM

30 posts

moto gusi guzzi lelong...

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by basilisk: Oct 25 2020, 03:41 PM
TSlowpro
post Oct 26 2020, 08:06 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 25 2020, 03:40 PM)
moto gusi guzzi lelong...

user posted image

user posted image
Nice but the rocking from left to right at idle due to the engine format and the lack of a tachometer in models other than the racer and special is a bit funny.

This post has been edited by lowpro: Oct 26 2020, 08:11 AM
TSlowpro
post Oct 26 2020, 08:09 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

With this Thai assembly happening soon:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54429714

there is a possibility or EITHER one 1) Prices come down or 2) the dealers here make more money per bike...

basilisk
post Oct 26 2020, 01:11 PM

30 posts

haha, yeah jz like boxer bmw...

idle rev lean one side ok, but slipping clutch during jam will have some effect as well, need to get used to it...

user posted image

user posted image
basilisk
post Nov 10 2020, 12:37 PM

30 posts

For the record...
Nov 2020 msia price.
Lets see if the future thai assembled RE will be cheaper...

Attached Image
Attached Image
TSlowpro
post Nov 11 2020, 08:28 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Nov 10 2020, 12:37 PM)
For the record...
Nov 2020 msia price.
Lets see if the future thai assembled RE will be cheaper...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Yup. Curious as to which direction the local importer will take; either lower the price to fight the competition (I heard the new Triumph Trident will come in with a very, very enticing price compared to the RE 650 Twins), or, to maintain the price and earn more per bike...my take as a marketing person for donkey's years, would be to lower prices. The 650 twins need to offer a pricing advantage over the MT07, the Z650, the CB650R and the upcoming Trident simply to build up mass (and public notice of the brand). They just don't offer the performance desired by the younger target market that RE needs to pull into the brand, hence, pricing would be a good initial strategy. Selling on nostalgia alone isn't going to work and they will just attract a more mature age group. Not something you want if you have other models to come by later on in the product pipeline, like the more affordable Meteor and the 650 Twin based cruiser.

Heard that the Meteor could probably come in next year...but no idea exactly when or the pricing. The Meteor has a Tripper navigation device that I hope would be made available in other RE bikes later on...that also I wonder when...

By the way, looks like this is a private room for both of us biggrin.gif
Quazacolt
post Nov 11 2020, 08:36 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Nov 11 2020, 08:28 AM)

By the way, looks like this is a private room for both of us  biggrin.gif
tarak hal la... open forum ma

however evidently LYN being a tech forum first and foremost, and tech is usually associated with youngsters... no surprise cruisers/retro following is lesser compared to modern bikes loaded with... tada - tech.
TSlowpro
post Nov 11 2020, 08:47 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Nov 11 2020, 08:36 AM)
tarak hal la... open forum ma

however evidently LYN being a tech forum first and foremost, and tech is usually associated with youngsters... no surprise cruisers/retro following is lesser compared to modern bikes loaded with... tada - tech.
Hahahahaha, didn't plan on seeing you in this thread biggrin.gif Open forum but didn't think many would read what goes on in here.

Yup, you hit the nail right on the head about youngsters being not so interested in cruisers or retro simply because they're loaded with...no tech! biggrin.gif . So, RE needs a much stronger proposition instead of selling just on nostalgia to push metal. Price is a good start...accessories is next and then offering performance upgrades at affordable prices. One of the fun things of buying a retro is customising and for it to happen, the base price needs to be affordable to make the entry point easy in the first place.

This post has been edited by lowpro: Nov 11 2020, 08:48 AM
Quazacolt
post Nov 11 2020, 08:52 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Nov 11 2020, 08:47 AM)
Hahahahaha, didn't plan on seeing you in this thread  biggrin.gif Open forum but didn't think many would read what goes on in here.

Yup, you hit the nail right on the head about youngsters being not so interested in cruisers or retro simply because they're loaded with...no tech!  biggrin.gif . So, RE needs a much stronger proposition instead of selling just on nostalgia to push metal. Price is a good start...accessories is next and then offering performance upgrades at affordable prices. One of the fun things of buying a retro is customising and for it to happen, the base price needs to be affordable to make the entry point easy in the first place.
many lurkers around la... me included obviously lol

if we follow Triumph Trident, they can still keep the retro design and looks, however the meter is totally modern with bluetooth music connectivity and turn by turn navigation notworthy.gif

and yes i do agree, my teammate/colleague who's a new rider, went with cruiser - Honda Rebel, and he loves customizing/accessorizing the bike laugh.gif
and yeah, going with retro look too.

11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 PM