Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Should I put LAN point or use mesh network?

views

wailing81
post Aug 5 2020, 04:40 PM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(blanket84 @ Aug 5 2020, 02:29 PM)
Sorry TS tumpang thread.

How much is the normal charges to pull LAN cable for typical double storey terrace? From living downstairs to living upstairs.
i bought a Cat7 cable from Taobao, 100m costed less than rm500.

since i am renovating my house and replacing all wires in the house, i just asked the contractor to pull the cable. He charged extra rm200 only. good contractor.
blancpain4470
post Aug 5 2020, 04:58 PM

Regular
1,063 posts

QUOTE(hungrygodzilla @ Aug 5 2020, 04:19 PM)
Cat 7 is overkill.
Fibre is overkill.

Cat 6 can support 10 Gbps within 37-55meters. Unless you have a gigantic mansion, it is actually enough. If you have budget, please do go for Cat 6a, have 2x the bandwidth frequencies, and support up to 100m length.

If you have money of coz you can go for cat 7 cat 8 and also fibre. It's like TS asking what car to get for this and that purpose. Proton is like the budget answer, toyota is like the normal answer. Then someone will come in and just say ferrari better. Of cause better la, but need ma?

Questions to think about, when do you realistically think that malaysia will offer 10Gbps connection? and when will all consumer devices have a 10Gbps port?

Just ensure you have cat 6 or 6a ready. then start with 1 wifi mesh router. If you felt that you have connection issues in certain room, just plan a additional mesh node that will fix your connection problem for that area. Don't need to rush in to buy a overkill solution.
To be honest I don't think 6a and 7 are overkill and their prices are closer to cat 6 than you think. If you know Moore's Law, you would never say it is impossible that 10gbps won't be offered In near future. Even on devices side, wifi 6 will go up to theoretical limit of 10gbps. While these are not immediate but may be within 2-4 years.

I do agree that 1gbps is plenty fast for most usage. But as usual we always find new ways to consume faster speed as and when available. Whether it improves our life is debatable though

blanket84
post Aug 5 2020, 07:03 PM

Regular
1,498 posts

QUOTE(wailing81 @ Aug 5 2020, 04:40 PM)
i bought a Cat7 cable from Taobao, 100m costed less than rm500.

since i am renovating my house and replacing all wires in the house, i just asked the contractor to pull the cable. He charged extra rm200 only. good contractor.
Actually I am planning to use mesh wifi, not directly connect any of my devices to the LAN port. Is it necessary for me to pull LAN cable from downstairs to upstairs to connect the 2nd node of the mesh, or mesh wifi on its own is more than enough?

This post has been edited by blanket84: Aug 5 2020, 07:04 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 5 2020, 07:39 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

I bought a 3 storey house last year, moved in earlier this year. House was already pre-wired with CAT6 to all main areas including the master bedrooms. Unfortunately the junior rooms were not wired which was very weird, so during renovation I pulled extra CAT6 cables to those rooms. Needless to say, it was a small annoyance but a big convenience at the end.

My routers now mesh with each other using ethernet backhaul on the ground and top floor, so every inch of my house is covered with strong wifi signal (pretty much 5 bars everywhere until outside my front gate).
For one of my junior room which I converted into a media/home theater, all my devices in there is wired up directly to the slave router. This was the best way to get whole home internet connectivity at the lowest cost possible.

Routers I'm using are Asus AX88U, overkill and unnecessary since Wifi6 isn't yet mainstream at this point. You could get by with much cheaper routers.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Aug 5 2020, 07:40 PM
jetblast
post Aug 5 2020, 07:48 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

If you run a cable between routers do you call it mesh? Do they have to be mesh routers? I just run a cat 6 from my WiFi router to another router as AP upstairs with the same ssid so my devices switch to the stronger signal. Is this considered mesh?
TShendry91
post Aug 5 2020, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

I've another question, no matter cat6a, cat7, cat7a or cat 8 all are compatible with our device? Just the supported speed is different?
wailing81
post Aug 6 2020, 09:23 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(jetblast @ Aug 5 2020, 07:48 PM)
If you run a cable between routers do you call it mesh? Do they have to be mesh routers? I just run a cat 6 from my WiFi router to another router as AP upstairs with the same ssid so my devices switch to the stronger signal. Is this considered mesh?
from what i read/ study online, router/ AP won't switch to stronger signal automatically. your device may only connected to the first router/ AP it found.

I am not sure about the switching part as i haven't try out.
some i read had a wireless access control device which will control all AP and do the switching. not so sure about this yet.
wailing81
post Aug 6 2020, 09:23 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(hendry91 @ Aug 5 2020, 10:50 PM)
I've another question, no matter cat6a, cat7, cat7a or cat 8 all are compatible with our device? Just the supported speed is different?
as per my understanding, all use the same RJ45 connection and all should be compatible.
jetblast
post Aug 6 2020, 10:05 AM

Regular
1,010 posts

QUOTE(wailing81 @ Aug 6 2020, 09:23 AM)
from what i read/ study online, router/ AP won't switch to stronger signal automatically. your device may only connected to the first router/ AP it found.

I am not sure about the switching part as i haven't try out.
some i read had a wireless access control device which will control all AP and do the switching. not so sure about this yet.
My personal experience, my phone does switch to the stronger signal. Problem is when you in-between zone can become a bit unstable but for me the zone around the staircase so doesn't bother me.
Using Asus as main router and tplink as AP.

This post has been edited by jetblast: Aug 6 2020, 10:07 AM
TShendry91
post Aug 6 2020, 10:21 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(jetblast @ Aug 6 2020, 10:05 AM)
My personal experience, my phone does switch to the stronger signal. Problem is when you in-between zone can become a bit unstable but for me the zone around the staircase so doesn't bother me.
Using Asus as main router and tplink as AP.
if you understand cantonese or mandarin, can take a look this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJOWAc-1Fo

TShendry91
post Aug 6 2020, 10:28 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(blanket84 @ Aug 5 2020, 07:03 PM)
Actually I am planning to use mesh wifi, not directly connect any of my devices to the LAN port. Is it necessary for me to pull LAN cable from downstairs to upstairs to connect the 2nd node of the mesh, or mesh wifi on its own is more than enough?
I think use LAN will be more stable.
what if the distance too far or wall blocking/reduce the signal?
if the distance too far, need to add more node to link them together

This post has been edited by hendry91: Aug 6 2020, 10:29 AM
hungrygodzilla
post Aug 6 2020, 11:27 AM

Casual
456 posts

Just dont consider Linksys velop. We using it in our office, piece of shit device. Cant review other router, but please dont buy velop.
idealhometech
post Aug 7 2020, 09:46 AM

NCS
917 posts

QUOTE(hendry91 @ Aug 4 2020, 09:46 PM)
I am renovating my double storey house, thinking how to make the wifi full coverage in my house.

Should I pull the LAN(cat 6) cable on each point? Or I should use Mesh network instead of pull cable? Which one is more stable and useful in the future?
Standby at least 1 LAN Cable at each floor, use CAT6 shd b good enuf.

ionStorm
post Aug 7 2020, 09:52 AM

*nyan*
Group Icon
Elite
3,323 posts

QUOTE(hendry91 @ Aug 4 2020, 10:14 PM)
But Mesh Wifi look so powerful nowadays, it can cover whole house actually.
I can't see why need a LAN if using mesh wifi, anyone?
Wired is always more reliable. There are so many reasons wireless can go wrong.

More reliability = less headache for you.

This post has been edited by ionStorm: Aug 7 2020, 09:52 AM
cryheart
post Aug 7 2020, 11:50 PM

Getting Started
250 posts

QUOTE(hendry91 @ Aug 4 2020, 09:46 PM)
I am renovating my double storey house, thinking how to make the wifi full coverage in my house.

Should I pull the LAN(cat 6) cable on each point? Or I should use Mesh network instead of pull cable? Which one is more stable and useful in the future?
cable is most stable...always go cable and if can, get cat 6a above, max 10,000Mbps / 10Gbps at 100meters, 10 times faster than cat 6, may not fully utilize now but who knows after 5/10years
Jessica JM.
post Jan 2 2023, 11:16 AM

Getting Started
108 posts

Hi all. I’m currently in renovation for my double storey corner lot and thinking this question as well.

Unifi installed a modem and router at the centre of my house (second floor) few years ago. And since we are in renovation, I’m thinking this issue need to pay attention on it.

a) Since you guys prefer to install CAT 6a cable first, is that mean, let’s say I have six bedroom, one living room and one kitchen, I need to install eight cable from the router to the relevant bedroom and etc?

b) How about CCTV cable?

As I think it might cheaper to buy it from Taobao, hence thinking for a plan and need your assistance.
idealhometech
post Jan 2 2023, 01:21 PM

NCS
917 posts

QUOTE(Jessica JM. @ Jan 2 2023, 11:16 AM)
Hi all. I’m currently in renovation for my double storey corner lot and thinking this question as well.

Unifi installed a modem and router at the centre of my house (second floor) few years ago. And since we are in renovation, I’m thinking this issue need to pay attention on it.

a) Since you guys prefer to install CAT 6a cable first, is that mean, let’s say I have six bedroom, one living room and one kitchen, I need to install eight cable from the router to the relevant bedroom and etc?

b) How about CCTV cable?

As I think it might cheaper to buy it from Taobao, hence thinking for a plan and need your assistance.
Depends on ur budget and usage. Can lay LAN point for each rooms, family/living area. Or each floor put 1 LAN point, next time use WiFi AP.

For CCTV, Corner house usually need 6 to 8 points outdoor to cover all area.

Jessica JM.
post Jan 2 2023, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
108 posts

QUOTE(idealhometech @ Jan 2 2023, 01:21 PM)
Depends on ur budget and usage. Can lay LAN point for each rooms, family/living area. Or each floor put 1 LAN point, next time use WiFi AP.

May I ask Wi-Fi AP means lan point?
bigred
post Jan 2 2023, 01:41 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

WiFi AP = Access Point

Access Point is the box that has antenna sticking out. Its the device that allows your device to sign into the wifi network

LAN Point (Local Access Network) = This is the wall panel that you plug the cable into.

QUOTE(Jessica JM. @ Jan 2 2023, 01:25 PM)
May I ask Wi-Fi AP means lan point?
bigred
post Jan 2 2023, 01:42 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

Better to put 2 LAN Points per floor. This is in the event if one point is damaged, then have spare point to use.

QUOTE(idealhometech @ Jan 2 2023, 01:21 PM)

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:56 PM