5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Android Box advice?

views

voncrane
post Oct 11 2020, 08:21 AM

Noir et fier!
6,934 posts

QUOTE(leose7enART @ Oct 10 2020, 09:56 AM)
Which one is better, TX3 (New Model) vs TX6s.. going to buy today..anyone please
Even though the TX6S has Android 10 bs Android 9 on the TX3.... I would still go with the TX3 because it has the superior and more flash friendly AMLogic S905X3. The TX6S uses an AllWinner H616, a lesser performer. When getting, if you plan to game on it? Get the 4GB RAM versions, although they are “just” DDR3 vs DDR4 used in most newer boxes now. Only get the 2GB versions if you only plan to use it as a media streamer or player. Storage-wise? I would recommend minimum 32GB just to be sure you’ve got some space to play around and can still stream large media files using the onboard eMMC and not resort to write/reading from the slower USB port.

Hope this helps your decision.

QUOTE(Rubypoyo @ Oct 10 2020, 11:01 AM)
i been using mi box and also mi tv stick for my bedroom...
just ok performance price wise for the spec but then the device is google certified device with official google tv os...
if wanna install unknown source for "ahem2" to the box should be no issue since you can use "filecomander" that ur can download in app store to easily transfer the apk file to the box.
Yeah, primary reason to get either is definitely due for 100% confirmed Google Certified devices. You don’t ever have to worry about such. Performance-wise, it’s so-so la.. but more than plenty for the simple needs user who wants a Google certified device.
xperiaVuser
post Oct 25 2020, 05:03 PM

Enthusiast
999 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 11 2020, 08:21 AM)
Even though the TX6S has Android 10 bs Android 9 on the TX3.... I would still go with the TX3 because it has the superior and more flash friendly AMLogic S905X3. The TX6S uses an AllWinner H616, a lesser performer. When getting, if you plan to game on it? Get the 4GB RAM versions, although they are “just” DDR3 vs DDR4 used in most newer boxes now. Only get the 2GB versions if you only plan to use it as a media streamer or player. Storage-wise? I would recommend minimum 32GB just to be sure you’ve got some space to play around and can still stream large media files using the onboard eMMC and not resort to write/reading from the slower USB port.
Got so many android boxes with 4GB RAM now, but how to check if it's 'faked' without opening up the box?
voncrane
post Oct 25 2020, 09:41 PM

Noir et fier!
6,934 posts

QUOTE(xperiaVuser @ Oct 25 2020, 05:03 PM)
Got so many android boxes with 4GB RAM now, but how to check if it's 'faked' without opening up the box?
Hmm, without opening the box huh... Well, the surest way is to simply stick with well-known brands with reputation to lose. Brands such as Minix, HiMedia, Beelink, Zidoo, Xiaomi, Nvidia, MeCool, Tanix, Roku, Amazon, TiVo, Wetek etc....Just to name a few...With so many players in the market.. I know for certain that you won't get cheated... at least not from these mentioned.. There should be a few more, but these are the ones i can recall off the top of my head. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Oct 25 2020, 09:43 PM
xperiaVuser
post Oct 26 2020, 09:57 PM

Enthusiast
999 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 25 2020, 09:41 PM)
Hmm, without opening the box huh... Well, the surest way is to simply stick with well-known brands with reputation to lose. Brands such as Minix, HiMedia, Beelink, Zidoo, Xiaomi, Nvidia, MeCool, Tanix, Roku, Amazon, TiVo, Wetek etc....Just to name a few...With so many players in the market.. I know for certain that you won't get cheated... at least not from these mentioned.. There should be a few more, but these are the ones i can recall off the top of my head.  sweat.gif
Yep, opening the box and check what RAM chips are used on the board.

Looking for a cheap box(less than RM180) to replace my old Himedia. I guess I should go with Tanix in this price segment. Thanks for the advice!
Namelessone1973
post Nov 3 2020, 12:12 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Rubypoyo @ Oct 10 2020, 11:01 AM)
i been using mi box and also mi tv stick for my bedroom...
just ok performance price wise for the spec but then the device is google certified device with official google tv os...
if wanna install unknown source for "ahem2" to the box should be no issue since you can use "filecomander" that ur can download in app store to easily transfer the apk file to the box.
Can you install vpn? I already have Malaysian Netflix and interested in Disney plus.
Rubypoyo
post Nov 3 2020, 12:38 PM

Casual
355 posts

QUOTE(Namelessone1973 @ Nov 3 2020, 12:12 PM)
Can you install vpn? I already have Malaysian Netflix and interested in Disney plus.
Yes got vpn like expressvpn / nordvpn that you can download from playstore but cant guarantee it will work with netflix US or Disney plus
(previously fail when try using nordvpn to access Netflix US using xiaomi mi box, but no issue when using it on smartphone)

This post has been edited by Rubypoyo: Nov 3 2020, 12:39 PM
StevenL
post Nov 3 2020, 09:35 PM

On my way
571 posts

QUOTE(Namelessone1973 @ Nov 3 2020, 12:12 PM)
Can use Hollywood server for Disney+ and LA1 for Netflix on expressvpn on other certified box
voncrane
post Nov 4 2020, 08:21 AM

Noir et fier!
6,934 posts

Yep.. yet to test it out myself.. But a verified source did mention ExpressVPN works.
mohdkhairul83
post Nov 8 2020, 08:45 AM

37 posts

Here is the TX3 mini cheap tvbox. Already preinstall apps to watch free channels and movies.

https://shopee.com.my/product/6302272/24746...81-1604796313.9
xortz
post Nov 8 2020, 10:35 AM

psn id: encikis
1,513 posts

QUOTE(mohdkhairul83 @ Nov 8 2020, 08:45 AM)
Here is the TX3 mini cheap tvbox. Already preinstall apps to watch free channels and movies.

Astro Go supported?
Vincent6596
post Nov 9 2020, 12:05 AM

Getting Started
282 posts

QUOTE(mohdkhairul83 @ Nov 8 2020, 08:45 AM)

https://shopee.com.my/TVBOX-PRE-INSTALL-100...2272.5205211710

compare tx6 with tx3 which is more better??
and i do need larger rom for install other apps.
dizposed
post Nov 9 2020, 05:27 PM

4 posts

Which is better and more reliable... Tx3 or H96 max X3..

Spec wise from what i know is the same. (Looking at 4gb Ram and 32gb storage).
Except the Ethernet port. H96 max x3 is gigabit. (1000 compare to Tx3 100)

But rarely seen anyone comment bout the H96 max X3. So, that why the question which better and reliable..
AVFAN
post Nov 9 2020, 05:36 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,335 posts

QUOTE(xortz @ Nov 8 2020, 10:35 AM)
Astro Go supported?
astrogo is a puzzling app... it works on some tx3mini/t3max/tx3 s905x3, does not work on the rest.

some say u must modify that and that... but mine are ok, no need modify nothing.

so, best u ask seller to test and confirm b4 u buy.

QUOTE(Vincent6596 @ Nov 9 2020, 12:05 AM)
https://shopee.com.my/TVBOX-PRE-INSTALL-100...2272.5205211710

compare tx6 with tx3 which is more better??
and i do need larger rom for install other apps.
QUOTE(dizposed @ Nov 9 2020, 05:27 PM)
Which is better and more reliable... Tx3 or H96 max X3..

Spec wise from what i know is the same. (Looking at 4gb Ram and 32gb storage).
Except the Ethernet port. H96 max x3 is gigabit. (1000 compare to Tx3 100)

But rarely seen anyone comment bout the H96 max X3. So, that why the question which better and reliable..
which one better.... bmw or mercedes better? proton or perodua better?!

more to do with what u want to do with it.

dun be carried away by the specs... bigger memory is good generally but not always necessary.

gigabit port is better than 100mbps but do u need it, can yr network support it?

lastly, watch out for overheating... google tx6 about this.
Vincent6596
post Nov 9 2020, 05:41 PM

Getting Started
282 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Nov 9 2020, 05:36 PM)
astrogo is a puzzling app... it works on some tx3mini/t3max/tx3 s905x3, does not work on the rest.

some say u must modify that and that... but mine are ok, no need modify nothing.

dun be carried away by the specs... bigger memory is good generally but not always necessary.

gigabit port is better than 100mbps but do u need it, can yr network support it?

okay, thx for the info bro

dizposed
post Nov 9 2020, 10:18 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Nov 9 2020, 05:36 PM)

thanks for the replies...

im planning to get the TIME 500Mbps..

im queries coz hardly seen anyone comment using the H96 max x3..
lots of good comment on tx3.. newbie here.. i guess couldnt go wrong with tx3 right..
AVFAN
post Nov 9 2020, 11:54 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,335 posts

QUOTE(dizposed @ Nov 9 2020, 10:18 PM)
thanks for the replies...

im planning to get the TIME 500Mbps..

im queries coz hardly seen anyone comment using the H96 max x3..
lots of good comment on tx3.. newbie here.. i guess couldnt go wrong with tx3 right..
tx3 is a popular model - fairly new model, cheap and functional for most purposes.

u can read more here if u wish:

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4722095/+1480
h0inerve
post Nov 16 2020, 09:14 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 11 2020, 08:21 AM)

Hope this helps your decision.
Yeah, primary reason to get either is definitely due for 100% confirmed Google Certified devices. You don’t ever have to worry about such. Performance-wise, it’s so-so la.. but more than plenty for the simple needs user who wants a Google certified device.
Thanks for this. I was also considering between TX3 and TX6. Sifu voncrane, any problem to install Netflix, AOTG, Hulu, or any other streaming apps on this device? I saw you takking about Beelink, is it much better than TX3? Thanks sir, noob here. Not Unix expert. 😅
h0inerve
post Nov 16 2020, 09:22 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(Rubypoyo @ Nov 3 2020, 12:38 PM)
Yes got vpn like expressvpn / nordvpn that you can download from playstore but cant guarantee it will work with netflix US or Disney plus
(previously fail when try using nordvpn to access Netflix US using xiaomi mi box, but no issue when using it on smartphone)
I use NordVPN but when connected to US server my Netflix won’t sign in. The VPN works on my Ipad/Iphone but not Android box. Not sure why, but its a really old box, Mini M8S. Been in service for few years and now its having infinity rebooting and can’t log in. That’s why I was considering Tanix, TX3 as a replacement. No money to get Nvidia and all thise high end brands. 😭
h0inerve
post Nov 16 2020, 09:23 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Nov 9 2020, 11:54 PM)
tx3 is a popular model - fairly new model, cheap and functional for most purposes.

u can read more here if u wish:

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4722095/+1480
Thanks for the info bro!
voncrane
post Nov 16 2020, 09:50 AM

Noir et fier!
6,934 posts

QUOTE(h0inerve @ Nov 16 2020, 09:14 AM)
Thanks for this. I was also considering between TX3 and TX6. Sifu voncrane, any problem to install Netflix, AOTG, Hulu, or any other streaming apps on this device? I saw you takking about Beelink, is it much better than TX3? Thanks sir, noob here. Not Unix expert. 😅
Oh you are welcome....About Beelink versus Tanix devices.. To be fair, I can't categorically state that Beelink is miles better than Tanix, because I'm yet to personally play with either Tanix boxes. However, specs and features-wise? I can say that Beelink wins. You can triple boot OSes (Android, EmuELEC, CoreELEC) and there are a few verified custom ROMs for em. Kodi (my favorite app) also runs great on em. Using CoreELEC, you can have Netflix @1080p and DD audio on most Beelink boxes. Tanix? probably still the usual 540p max (i stand corrected if other owners can confirm otherwise). The major pro for Tanix devices at this time is that Asterruk Go app (with some hackery cuz rooted, etc) works on some of their boxes. Problem is, they'll only work until something is changed on Asterruk's end that makes them incompatible. So might not even work in a few days or weeks. Minix boxes used to be king and my default recommendation (for years) to those whose criteria is to run the Asterruk Go app. The app would be updated over and over again and yet Minix boxes would just update and keep playing smoothly. But then few months back.. Stuff got changed and they began experiencing problems.

Edit: Make that quad-booting capable. Manjaro Linux can now be used on Beelink boxes like the GT-King Pro and the GS-King X. It's currently in Alpha stage though. but for tinkerers like myself. This is excellent news. Means that with a little more time, I can turn the Beelink GS-King X into a full-fledged Linux powered NAS device. For now, that means ditching Android for good, cuz Manjaro needs to run off the on-board eMMc storage.. Eagerly awaiting USB/SD card bootable support. thumbup.gif

QUOTE(h0inerve @ Nov 16 2020, 09:22 AM)
I use NordVPN but when connected to US server my Netflix won’t sign in. The VPN works on my Ipad/Iphone but not Android box. Not sure why, but its a really old box, Mini M8S. Been in service for few years and now its having infinity rebooting and can’t log in. That’s why I was considering Tanix, TX3 as a replacement. No money to get Nvidia and all thise high end brands. 😭
Try ExpressVPN bro.. I did and yep it works... Had to change system time and location stuff to match.. But yeah, it works.. Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Prime, etc.. Can view and watch all geo-locked stuff.. My next box review video will drop soon and you can see proof there. nod.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Nov 16 2020, 07:55 PM

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th January 2021 - 08:21 AM