Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> UNIFIED SMART HOME - GOOGLE HOME AND APPLE HOMEKIT, Connected home with no compromises

views

TSkokhoong0624
post May 4 2020, 07:59 AM, updated 4y ago

Casual
404 posts

Partially crossposted from Apple Bytes

Had learnt many lessons and made many mistakes on the process of renovation in the past one year and had been lurking around this forum for many renovation tips.
I want to share a connected home ecosystem where different brands of smart accessories work together in one single app - and you don’t have to have a“brand loyalty”, just choose whatever brand that works best for you and the devices will work with other brands in your house.

Apple Homekit, Google Home and Home Assistant (for advanced users) work with all the devices that I share here.

The current state that I had completed is just plain Apple Homekit - planning to add Google Home (accessories can connect to both ecosystem simultaneously) and Home Assistant (when I have the time to tinker). I have a Google Home on the way and can’t wait to try it.

A connected home comprises of many elements but I believe that switches, lighting, blinds, fans, curtains, door locks and TV make up the most of the accessories.

Before I start I just want to show what is possible with a connected that does not rely on one single brand with different brands working together with the automations in Homekit:

Very Reliable and Responsive App Control:
https://youtu.be/e3vPL5OqyT4

Control autogate (Terncy Switch Module) with Apple Home app, can use Siri and control outside from wifi network. TV and other home lightings (Philips Hue Lightstrip) change color indicating gate has been opened (Terncy Door Sensor). Change back to original state after check TV is on or not (LG OLED B9) (white/off) when gate is closed.
https://youtu.be/UQV2US6nkb4

Open gate automatically by tapping phone on NFC (Terncy Switch Module) + Indoor Philips Hue to change colour.
https://youtu.be/QadOyAiXZSU

Turn on the TV (LG OLED B9) and have the lights dimmed (Philips Hue downlight + Gledopto) and the backlight on (Philips Hue Lightstrip)

How about a bedside switch… with an NFC sticker (Terncy Wall Switch).
https://youtu.be/AqI6ExqStIs

And VERY reliable wireless lighting/fans app control .. even on mobile data (Terncy Wall Switch, Philips Hue Lighting)
https://youtu.be/-XUoP8-vIyw

Choosing between a smart switch or smart lighting? Why not both… Reprogrammed the buttons to control lightings, but different scenes - warm light, cool light, relax (dimmed) (Terncy Wall Switch, Philips Hue Lighting)
https://youtu.be/WG3HS974Xdw

Apple Siri + Wall Switches - turn on everything upstairs

For a reliable and responsive connected home, depending on your size and budget for me personally these 4 are the most important criteria:
1. Reliable network throughout the house (preferably strong 5ghz wifi signal for full coverage of the house). I’m currently using Ubiquiti Network (UDM as my router with 2 Unifi AC to cover a 4000sqft double storey house) It’s best to have ethernet cable all over your house because wired signals are always the best, but if you are upgrading a house that has no ethernet, consider a mesh network with a backhaul frequency (“triband”) I’m not an expert in networking so you can learn more from the sifu at the networking forums. One router is never enough for a large home no matter how strong they advertise their signals are and wifi repeater sucks.
2. Neutral wires in all your switches. Neutral switches are more responsive, works better, safer and have longer life compared to it’s non neutral siblings - live wire. If you are renovating, please consider adding a neutral wire in all your switches as smart switches play a major role in a connected home.
3. Hub to bring all your different brands together!! - for apple there is Apple HomePod and Apple TV (or an old iPad which I don’t recommend because the network might cut off anytime). Google Home (will install and update my experience later)
4. Supports Google Home AND Apple Homekit with local network control (No passthrough the vendors servers)

Choosing a connected accessory:
For switches and ceiling lightings where you will have a huge number and need them to work reliably, I would recommend you NOT to get wifi or bluetooth ones.
If you are not using an enterprise grade router and have 50 wifi switches lighting connected to your router, it will jam your network and you certainly don’t want them taking your network traffic. Also, imagine the nightmare when you change your wifi name or your wifi password when you have to repair everyone of them. Oh, and most of them are connected on 2.4Ghz so if your live in a dense area then there will be a lot of interference (Not responding from time to time)

Bluetooth is just not made for smart home with its short range, unless you rent a small place la then it’s ok. Expect devices like these to flop - short range and slow. - Elgato Eve, some Xiaomi bulbs

Then get what?
Get smart accessories with a hub! I think currently, the best standard for a connected home is Zigbee 3.0. It’s good cause.. it uses a mesh network, means like your light bulb ah or your natural switch - they act as signal repeater for longer coverage - also they are very reliable and doesn’t hog your wifi network. And then when you change your wifi password or when you move, just bring them and repair the hub and you are good to go. I know there’s a general hatred towards hubs because they feel like a scam to suck more money from you and some people prefer wifi because they have not many devices and I think it’s perfectly ok to go full wifi if you have a small place and don’t plan to expand in the future.

For everything else like table lamp, washing machine, TV , air purifier where you don’t have a huge number or don’t need to use them at high frequency - get the wifi one is okay la. If need repair or what at least no need climb ceiling or pull out the wires behind the switch.

What I finally bought (all of them support apple HomeKit AND google home):
Switches: 35+ Neutral Switches from Terncy aka XIaoyan , 2x Terncy Switch Module (like the Sonoff ones) - Zigbee
Bulbs: 23x Philips Hue Downlight and 6xLight strips (I got them like.. 50% off in a sale) - Zigbee + Gledopto light strip controller- Zigbee, Yeelight Table Lamp (excellent little piece), Yeelight Table Lamp with Wireless charger - both yeelights are wifi
Other stuffs: LG B9 (GREAT TV. EXCELLENT), LG washer dryer, Xiaomi Roborock S6, Xiaomi Air Purifier - all wifi .
Oh and this - Yale YMI70 Smart door lock - bluetooth

Review
Switches
I think switches are the most integral part of a connected home la. Like to on anything you usually use switch mah. I was looking for wall switches that support Homekit since last May and four companies were shortlisted… because they have hubs + support Homekit and Google Home
Lutron, Aqara by Xiaomi, Lifesmart and Terncy.
I know there are like broad link and Sonoff but because they use wifi I did not consider to use them at all, but I read excellent reviews on Sonoff flashed with a Homekit firmware that would be a kickstart to test Apple Home.

Lutron: best and most established brand in the US. Only US switches available, relative in US using this, and online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Get this… if you have the budget and can source it? Zigbee!
https://www.casetawireless.com

Lifesmart: This is a terrible brand la. They advertised they have HomeKit but it’s actually beta then if I’m not mistaken they got sued by Apple then what happen is they promised their users that their Hub will support Homekit in a future software update… and guess what, they just got certified recently and you have to buy a new hub. Also their old wall switches with no neutral looks REALLY good has a serious design flaw and my friend bought one that broke down in a couple months. Now they release a non neutral version… with battery. YMMV. Oh and they use 433Mhz as the network protocol instead of Zigbee… which is exactly like the signal in the remote control for autogate or the Broadlink RF device… So if someone neighbour play a prank and put a signal jammer.. then all their devices would not work anymore. I don’t recommend this brand at all.
https://lifesmart.com.my

Aqara: Excellent choice if you are staying in a tiny house like a studio or don’t plan to expand in the future because they are cheap and affordable. Seriously considering between this and Terncy for a while but a couple flaws made me chose Terncy instead. The Hub is connected to the switches via Zigbee, BUT the Hub is connected to your router via 2.4Ghz Wifi. 2.4Ghz wifi is not very reliable in my area because there’s a lot of interference and reliability matters a lot to me, hence I didn’t choose this. Another reason is at the time when I am about to purchase, their customer support told me the wall switches does not act as signal repeaters and I have to buy a couple hubs in my house….. which is unacceptable to me. At that time last year I have to get from Taobao… and Xiaomi Aqara is REGION LOCKED. From what I understand is getting from Taobao and getting from Malaysia will require you to have two different setups in two different servers. ….. That’s kinda terrible.
https://www.lazada.com.my/shop/aqara-official-store

Terncy: This is the choice I made and I don’t ragret a single bit. The switches and modules are connected via Zigbee 3.0, they act as repeater (only the neutral ones) and the hub is connected to the router via ethernet (YAY). I found this while visiting an Apple Store in China and bought one hub and switch to test. I bought from an unofficial seller in taboo and they sent me a hub with a switch that had an older firmware. I had some bumps here and there while setting up but the customer service agent promptly resolve my issue with an update. The range, reliability and responsiveness is excellent. Oh. And also PRIVACY. I know like google Xiaomi apple and china companies all collect data, but I trust Apple more than any China company to protect my data. They support sign in with apple and will rollout a feature to stop all network calling home in a future update. I am looking forward and will update here.

I was very new to all of these at that time… but one worked excellent doesn’t mean 30 would work excellent too. But I want to cut cost on shipping so I just took a bet and ordered 30 of them… And it worked. It worked so good I was so shocked because they exceeded my expectations. They respond INSTANTANEOUSLY and VERY reliable for the past seven months I had them installed. I was thrilled because I always had the impression that ugly products work the most reliably (look at Lutron switches) but they look good and they work very well. The matte finish on the switches are great and look very classy - I ragret sticking labels on them because I tried removing them now but they left permanent marks from the stickers. Talking bout the hardware, I had never once try to turn on/off something and it did not respond. NEVER. At least in the past seven months.. Touchwood. It’s so reliable I wired my autogate switch to a switch module (not the wall switch) and never brought my key out… since I moved in. Granted, you also have to have a strong and reliable wifi network for everything to be that responsive.

The switches come with four buttons with a tactile click no matter you get 1gang to 4gang. (Oh and Aqara didn’t have 3-4 gang switches at that time, which pushed me over to Terncy.) If you get anything other than a 4 gang switch, the extra buttons work as programmable buttons. Say goodbye to hardwired 2-way switches because now every switch with a programmable can be … used to control any other switches/Philips hue lights/Yeelight/TV/Fans in the house. It’s like a multiway switch. I had a programmed button near the main door where it will turn off everything in the house before I leave home. Another one to turn off everything downstairs at the stairs. Extra buttons in the bedroom switches to turn on the hallway lights.

Obviously simple automations like routines and scenes work very well. The pillar lamps will turn on after sunset and turn off after sunrise. There’s also like timer features because I always forgot to turn off the bathroom lights. Turn on bathroom lights - wait 20 minutes - turn off one light to serve as warning- then wait 5 minutes to turn off the other one. (Conserve water by not taking bath more than 20 minutes).
Everything works as expected, reliably and responsive - which I feel is a core and most important criteria for a connected home. I think it really matters that when I press the button in the app, it will respond instantaneously and reliably like I expect it to be… the best technology is the one that is transparent to its user. If I press a button and it only works 70% of the time, I will lose my confidence and just resort to use the hardware switches instead. They really knocked the hardware out of the ballpark and I would give the hardware a score of 5/5.

The Terncy app is not polished and there are little bugs here and there like signing me out from the app occasionally. I would not recommend anyone to use it as a daily driver at its current state (it is a shame because the hardware is so damn good and the software can’t keep up). Please use Apple Homekit or Google Home or even Amazon Alexa. The company announced that they are going to release an update this year with a design overhaul and I’m looking forward for it. However, the app supports many complex automations and allow the switches to be permanent switches… (will elaborate in the lighting section)

All things considered, I’m very glad I made the choice of going with Terncy. Those that have access to Lutron can consider getting them if you have the budget (they have more variety and even support AC fans control), I believe they would work equally as reliably as Terncy. I would not consider Xiaomi Aqara to use as wall switches at all at their current price point because the Terncy ones are much more better and responsive (compared to my friend’s house) unless you are already invested in the Mi ecosystem. Although Terncy is a Chinese company, they support Sign in with Apple, no region lock, local network control and I can’t wait to update to a new firmware that would allow me to stop them calling home - I had DPI on in my Ubiquiti router that would check all outgoing network traffic. Xiaomi recently had circulating news about violating user’s privacy and sharing data even on incognito mode and I think that’s sort of expected… so yeah.

Terncy Official Store in Shopee
https://shopee.com.my/terncy.my

Lighting
For Zigbee Lighting, I think the options available are kinda limited. Philips Hue and Ikea Tradfri are the more reputable brands. I heard good things about ikea Tradfri, but I had not been able to source them so I could not give my comments.
Philips Hue is the best. They offer the most options : look up amazon if you cannot get local and their only flaw to me is overpriced (because they are the only option in the market) . They respond immediately, have a vast selection of devices and work very reliably in the past six months. The only sad part is one of the hue downlight I bought stopped working after 5 months ( I think this is an isolated incident).
If you have the budget to go Philips Hue, you wouldn’t ragret.
Anyway, if you don’t have the budget, you can consider getting a Philips Hue hub and use Gledopto light strips + bulbs instead. They are extremely affordable and because they are Zigbee, they work very reliably. They can be added directly into the Hue app, works with Zigbee, but unfortunately not with Homekit. I had two of these strip lights that I used for my ceiling in the dining and living area and I think they are great and reliable in the past few months. You can add them to Apple Homekit if you use Homebridge.

https://www.lazada.com.my/shop/philips-ligh...-store-malaysia
https://gledopto.aliexpress.com/store/3685003

Smart Switch or Smart Lighting?
Smart switches are definitely cheaper and works with any kind of lighting or accessories (fans etc).
Smart lighting allows adjustment of temperature/color/hue but they cost significantly more and they require constant power on (if they lose power they can’t be controlled via the apps and automations will stop working) and you have to leave your wall switch permanently on. This is extremely inconvenient for people who are not competent with technology.

I recommend using smart switches for areas where you won’t spend too much of your time like hallways etc.
But if you have the budget to go full smart lighting, go for it.
There is a problem among the community to choose an ultimatum between smart lighting and smart switch (because like I mentioned just now, smart lighting stop responding when the power is cut and smart switches defeat the purpose of smart lighting).

Of course if you are using Hue, you can buy the Hue remote or Hue Tap to attach it to your wall. However, those options usually require batteries and wiring your Hue lights permanently to the power source would make maintenance hard. But I was very excited when I find out that Terncy supports permanent Power on. - so you can have both smart lighting and smart switches.
Let say you connect a Yeelight Ceiling Lamp to to the Terncy Wall Switch, you can opt for a setting to change the button on the switch to allow power on permanent and the button will immediately become a programmable buttons. Then you can do cool things like set this button to set the daylight scene, double tap for warm light ETC.
You can even make the button to turn on the TV and dim the lights for you… with one press. And they don’t require battery replacements (unlike the Hue dimmer switch). And when you decide that you want to change to a normal bulb, you can flip the button to turn off permanent power on in the software and it will work like other smart switches again.
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT FEATURE with NO COMPROMISES and from my reading, I think this Is the ONLY connected switch that works that well with smart lighting. I still can’t comprehend how they did not advertise this feature and the setting is hidden deep in the switch settings.

Oh and Yeah about Yeelight lamps. These are appealing to me because I can add to the Apple Home app without using the Xiaomi app. They are quite affordable and I recommend anyone who wants to try Apple Homekit to try them out.

Fans
The only smart fans I know that supports both Google Home and Apple Homekit are Hunter fans but they were too expensive…. So I would be glad if someone can share their inputs on any smart ceiling fans.

TV
I’m currently using the LG B9 OLED and Homekit support is great! I can change the TV HDMI input, control the TV content and adjust volume with the built in remote in iOS. Also when I turn on the TV it immediately dims the Philips Hue lights and when I off the TV it will restore to its previous brightness. (If you have smart curtains, you can make them to turn off the curtains too). Also, I am able to press a switch on the wall to turn on the TV, the fan and dim the lights in one go (Netflix and chill scene). All things said, the LG TV colours are excellent and I bought it from Harvey Norman and don’t regret a single bit.

Miscellaneous : Sensors and wireless switch
I am currently using the Terncy Door Contact Sensors and the Terncy Wireless Switch with motion sensor.
I think they are excellent and for the price it’s a bargain. I wrapped the Terncy Door Sensor with cling foil and stuck on the autogate to detect its state. All bedrooms are equipped with these sensors so when you enter the room, the small Yeelights will on automatically (at specific times) - benefit of CROSS BRAND support. They work very reliably as expected and the automations never failed.

The first Terncy Wireless Switch I received has a defective sensor but they promptly resolve it for me… by sending a new one. I was allowed to keep the defective one as a wireless switch and holy smokes it work so well as a wireless switch for anything. Turn on the TV, open the autogate… Well.
The wireless switch also have two motion sensors that detect the direction of motion and I think its really helpful to put in hallways.. When you pass by it turn on the lights and when you leave it will turn off the light. The only flaw I can think of is this is not a true occupancy sensor (let say two people walk pass and one person left first - it will still turn off the lights), however I think it works rather well for its purpose now until a true occupancy sensor comes along.

Terncy has limited number of accessories compared to Aqara. I am looking forward to install Aqara water leak sensor or the vibration one in the future. I had read mixed comments in the smart home thread on reliability and connectivity, that’s why I haven’t hop into the bandwagon yet.

Wrapping up

My conclusion is I believe that it is better if you don’t stick yourself to one "smart home" ecosystem or put all your eggs in one basket(like Xiaomi (non Aqara) or other proprietary smart home company I (IMT) in Malaysia) for connected home accessories and rather use a unified system like Apple Homekit, Google Home or if you are a coder - Home Assistant so you will have flexibility and can upgrade one by one in the future.
Most of my automations are configured in Homekit - they work cross brand, so if I want to switch out Hue for Yeelight, I can do it one by one without having to throw the whole system away. And if I don't want to use Terncy door sensor, I can switch out to Aqara one by one without having to throw the whole system out. And different accessories work harmoniously together with one another, so you can buy something from another brand that is cheaper or more reliable.
The reason I didn’t implement google home last year is because unlike apple HomeKit, google doesn’t allow local control yet, means when you tap something, it has to go to google server -> to Philips hue server -> come back to your house. This control is slower and much less efficient compared to Homekit which just use your local network and work fine without internet.
Google Home released an SDK this year to allow local control. Will test it out and update you guys if anyone is still interested.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/07/go...e-tp-link-more/

This post has been edited by kokhoong0624: May 4 2020, 08:03 AM
TSkokhoong0624
post May 4 2020, 08:00 AM

Casual
404 posts

I want to share on smart curtains/blinds, door locks and also security camera in a future update... Once I get everything fixed post MCO

This post has been edited by kokhoong0624: May 4 2020, 08:13 AM
TSkokhoong0624
post May 4 2020, 08:00 AM

Casual
404 posts

Reserved
gavind87
post May 5 2020, 11:28 PM

Wings over Asia
1,147 posts

Nice write up. We have similar interests. However I also use homebridge for accessories not HomeKit compatible out of the box.

With some thinking power and tinkering. I’ve emerged with an insane setup while saving some money avoiding some HomeKit products where it occasionally seems like daylight robbery.

I wouldn’t recommend TRADFRI for now. I spent an entire day setting up the blinds, it was absolutely painful, a shame because the product itself is awesome, just the app sucks tremendously.
idoblu
post May 5 2020, 11:51 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

Aqara switches can act as repeaters but only the ones with neutral line.
They are not exactly region lock.
blancpain4470
post May 6 2020, 05:20 AM

Regular
1,063 posts

Interesting write-up. I have about 40 smart devices at home. Sonoff. Xiaomi. Alexa (4). Google. My unifi-provide tplink router was dying. So I upgraded my router to Asus mesh routers and connected my tplink to my main router and use the tplink dedicated to all my smart devices. It works like a charm and I can connect even more smart devices now without problem
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 07:13 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(gavind87 @ May 5 2020, 11:28 PM)
Nice write up. We have similar interests. However I also use homebridge for accessories not HomeKit compatible out of the box.

With some thinking power and tinkering. I’ve emerged with an insane setup while saving some money avoiding some HomeKit products where it occasionally seems like daylight robbery.

I wouldn’t recommend TRADFRI for now. I spent an entire day setting up the blinds, it was absolutely painful, a shame because the product itself is awesome, just the app sucks tremendously.
I agree! Some Homekit products are kinda trash for the value they offer even if they are sold in the Apple Store. Was about to get Elgato Eve in Singapore and fortunately I read the reviews before purchasing them.
I've used Homebridge for the Gledopto strip lights and I think they work wonderfully.... And much better value proposition compared to Hue.
And for Tradfri, I had read many...conflicting reviews but hearing you mention that the product is awesome and the app sucks make me heavily consider it, because I personally only use Apple Home app for controls now and looking forward to add Google Home.
Wanted to get in Singapore initially but then the pandemic happened... Sigh
harrishkrishna1
post May 6 2020, 07:20 AM

Getting Started
229 posts

Santik!
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 07:31 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 5 2020, 11:51 PM)
Aqara switches can act as repeaters but only the ones with neutral line.
They are not exactly region lock.
I think the Aqara curtains and blinds motor as well as the smart plug works as repeater too from the comments I read, but those were mentioned as NOT repeater by Aqara when I enquired them last year when I'm looking for a product.
Thanks for sharing! Yeah I am still saddened by this. Aqara DID not have an official store in Malaysia when I purchased it last year and I had been scorched by China products in the past for being region locked. I bought a 360 brand security camera from China and while it worked for a couple months, it then stopped working because a region locked is applied at a later date AFTER I purchase the product. Same with a Xiaomi Air Purifier and a Mi Hub, I think. When I contacted a salesperson in Aqara China, they told me they are "not very sure" if they will be region locked in the future which raised my concerns and the 2.4ghz wifi option pushed my decisions over to Terncy because Terncy reaffirmed to me that they will never region lock their devices and I hope they stay true to their promises.

QUOTE(blancpain4470 @ May 6 2020, 05:20 AM)
Interesting write-up. I have about 40 smart devices at home. Sonoff. Xiaomi. Alexa (4). Google. My unifi-provide tplink router was dying. So I upgraded my router to Asus mesh routers and connected my tplink to my main router and use the tplink dedicated to all my smart devices. It works like a charm and I can connect even more smart devices now without problem
Thanks for sharing! Sonoff is great and really good for the value they provide and I had a couple Sonoff smart plugs flashed with firmware that natively support Homekit and for the price value proposition, there's nothing that can beat them. They work reasonably well and for what I use them for, they are excellent. I'm hoping they would support local control with Google Home sometime in the future. But because my area is kinda dense, I am very doubtful that the 2.4GHz wifi sonoff switches will perform reliably in my area...especially if I'm going to have like 30+ of them compared to Zigbee devices.
How is google home working for you? are you using the Google Home Mini or the Google Home Max?
yeah the router that comes free with Maxis is also damn trash and Asus makes really good routers. May I know your router model and does your one support wifi 6? my friend is looking for a router too and he's considering between Asus and or Linksys... it would be great if you can share with me your router model because he wants to go the Sonoff route as well for his rented apartment
gavind87
post May 6 2020, 07:38 AM

Wings over Asia
1,147 posts

About the SonOff. I’m assuming the firmware that you refer to as HomeKit compatible is RavenCore ? Strangely this has been a pain for me. I’ve always gone MQTT with Tasmota, mostly because I’m using mostly SonOff POW for consumption tracking as well. I use fakegato to emulate an eve energy and it works great so far
idoblu
post May 6 2020, 07:48 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

does the Terncy Home center uses 5Ghz? No technical specs at their home page.

its a good alternative. only price on the high side, almost 2-3 times more than Aqara
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 07:53 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(gavind87 @ May 6 2020, 07:38 AM)
About the SonOff. I’m assuming the firmware that you refer to as HomeKit compatible is RavenCore ? Strangely this has been a pain for me. I’ve always gone MQTT with Tasmota, mostly because I’m using mostly SonOff POW for consumption tracking as well. I use fakegato to emulate an eve energy and it works great so far
Yes. RavenCore are they are preflashed into the smart plugs. I'm just using them to control a standing fan and for what they do it's okay. The reason I don't use them for major stuffs like switches is because I only stay at home 2 days/week and if anything goes wrong.. my parents would call me and it's a pain for me to remotely fix something that disconnect from the network and no real way to troubleshoot them.
I've never heard of MQTT and Tasmota and may I know if the consumption tracking works with Homekit/Google Home automation? I think it would be great like having the lights flashes/change color when the washing machine is done washing (with lower than a threshold consumption) and I always wanted to implement them. I believe this is possible with HA... but I'm always too lazy to start and don't know where to start.
Now I'm stuck at home and a great time to tinker with these LOL as I can fix them personally
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 07:56 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 6 2020, 07:48 AM)
does the Terncy Home center uses 5Ghz? No technical specs at their home page.

its a good alternative. only price on the high side, almost 2-3 times more than Aqara
I think they are using Zigbee 3.0 to the smart accessories and ethernet only to your local network. Yeah I agree they are much pricier (especially the lower gang models), but for the reliability I have in the past 6 months made them really worth it for me.

gavind87
post May 6 2020, 07:57 AM

Wings over Asia
1,147 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ May 6 2020, 07:53 AM)
Yes. RavenCore are they are preflashed into the smart plugs. I'm just using them to control a standing fan and for what they do it's okay. The reason I don't use them for major stuffs like switches is because I only stay at home 2 days/week and if anything goes wrong.. my parents would call me and it's a pain for me to remotely fix something that disconnect from the network and no real way to troubleshoot them.
I've never heard of MQTT and Tasmota and may I know if the consumption tracking works with Homekit/Google Home automation? I think it would be great like having the lights flashes/change color when the washing machine is done washing (with lower than a threshold consumption) and I always wanted to implement them. I believe this is possible with HA... but I'm always too lazy to start and don't know where to start.
Now I'm stuck at home and a great time to tinker with these LOL as I can fix them personally
Here’s a sneak peak of what I get with Tasmota on a SonOff POW R2 running a plug-in that I branched from someone else with some edits I made. It works well so far and I also output the data to a CSV sheet to plot the data myself if I feel the need

user posted image
gavind87
post May 6 2020, 08:08 AM

Wings over Asia
1,147 posts

QUOTE(blancpain4470 @ May 6 2020, 05:20 AM)
I previously used an ASUS RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300 and they constantly failed with the 70+ devices I had connected to it

Currently running a Synology Router handling all the DHCP and management and Linksys EA9500s as an access point for wireless devices and rarely if ever faced any issues ( apart from a Vocolinc Flowerbud that never stays connected for some reason. Plenty of issues with this all over the internet )

With the above set up I’m still able to saturate my 2gbps connection, with the Asus, wishful thinking. Not sure why.

idoblu
post May 6 2020, 08:15 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ May 6 2020, 07:56 AM)
I think they are using Zigbee 3.0 to the smart accessories and ethernet only to your local network. Yeah I agree they are much pricier (especially the lower gang models), but for the reliability I have in the past 6 months made them really worth it for me.
you using the neutral or no-neutral switches?
any pictures of the back of the switches?
thanks

This post has been edited by idoblu: May 6 2020, 08:15 AM
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 08:30 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(gavind87 @ May 6 2020, 07:57 AM)
Here’s a sneak peak of what I get with Tasmota on a SonOff POW R2 running a plug-in that I branched from someone else with some edits I made. It works well so far and I also output the data to a CSV sheet to plot the data myself if I feel the need

user posted image
Great and thanks!! I really dig the looks of the Elgato Eve app and I can see people choose this over the default Home app.
I gonna try some tinkering in the next couple weeks as I'm stuck at home haha and hopefully I can make it LOL
Just took a quick look at MQTT and I guess might need some sensei advice from you... if I encounter any roadblock hahaha

QUOTE(idoblu @ May 6 2020, 08:15 AM)
you using the neutral or no-neutral switches?
any pictures of the back of the switches?
thanks
I'm using the neutral one. I believe the non-neutral ones would not work as responsive as the neutral ones. like Aqara, the non-neutral ones do not act as signal repeaters.
This is a 4 gang one
Attached Image
gavind87
post May 6 2020, 08:38 AM

Wings over Asia
1,147 posts

user posted image

No one here using this guy ?
I love it
Hard to change the batteries though
And I received one with weak batteries
The internet says that you can’t change the batteries, but you in fact can, it’s just a pain
TSkokhoong0624
post May 6 2020, 09:41 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(gavind87 @ May 6 2020, 08:38 AM)
user posted image

No one here using this guy ?
I love it
Hard to change the batteries though
And I received one with weak batteries
The internet says that you can’t change the batteries, but you in fact can, it’s just a pain
Thanks for the input. I was more inclined towards Linksys too. hahaha will let my friend know

Do you have a link for this? I only know Opple downlights, not their smart switches

This post has been edited by kokhoong0624: May 6 2020, 09:42 AM
blancpain4470
post May 6 2020, 02:42 PM

Regular
1,063 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ May 6 2020, 07:31 AM)
I think the Aqara curtains and blinds motor as well as the smart plug works as repeater too from the comments I read, but those were mentioned as NOT repeater by Aqara when I enquired them last year when I'm looking for a product.
Thanks for sharing! Yeah I am still saddened by this. Aqara DID not have an official store in Malaysia when I purchased it last year and I had been scorched by China products in the past for being region locked. I bought a 360 brand security camera from China and while it worked for a couple months, it then stopped working because a region locked is applied at a later date AFTER I purchase the product. Same with a Xiaomi Air Purifier and a Mi Hub, I think.  When I contacted a salesperson in Aqara China, they told me they are "not very sure" if they will be region locked in the future which raised my concerns and the 2.4ghz wifi option pushed my decisions over to Terncy because Terncy reaffirmed to me that they will never region lock their devices and I hope they stay true to their promises.
Thanks for sharing! Sonoff is great and really good for the value they provide and I had a couple Sonoff smart plugs flashed with firmware that natively support Homekit and for the price value proposition, there's nothing that can beat them. They work reasonably well and for what I use them for, they are excellent. I'm hoping they would support local control with Google Home sometime in the future. But because my area is kinda dense, I am very doubtful that the 2.4GHz wifi sonoff switches will perform reliably in my area...especially if I'm going to have like 30+ of them compared to Zigbee devices.
How is google home working for you? are you using the Google Home Mini or the Google Home Max?
yeah the router that comes free with Maxis is also damn trash and Asus makes really good routers. May I know your router model and does your one support wifi 6? my friend is looking for a router too and he's considering between Asus and or Linksys... it would be great if you can share with me your router model because he wants to go the Sonoff route as well for his rented apartment
So far my experience with Asus routers are good. I don't need raw speed so I opted for 2 mid range RT-AX3000 which has wifi6 capability. I am likely adding a third unit the entry level AX56u to expand my coverage as I have 4285sft house with lot of glass and walls.

BTW AX3000 is really "cheap" note below 650 after rebate at Lazada from ookas

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0197sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:19 AM