5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Ceramic coating vs PPF vs quarterly wax?, cost vs effectiveness vs suitability

views

SUSAllnGap
post Jan 19 2020, 12:53 PM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 19 2020, 12:46 PM)
Yeah it is going to be my everyday ride. I didn't pay RM240k for an orange conti to keep it at home hahaha
GGuard is OK is it? They have promotion for their most expensive package, front-end cover RM2150 for M size car (my G20).
oh, like polishing shoes

Now I am partial between the few options. maybe wax the whole car, then PPF front-end for RM2150..

What is a good order of things?
PPF front = protect front
Wax = every 2-3months interval (see no shine then go wax d)
Polish = every year interval

This post has been edited by AllnGap: Jan 19 2020, 12:55 PM
takr
post Jan 19 2020, 12:53 PM

38 posts

[quote=wild_card_my,Jan 19 2020, 12:46 PM]
Yeah it is going to be my everyday ride. I didn't pay RM240k for an orange conti to keep it at home hahaha
GGuard is OK is it? They have promotion for their most expensive package, front-end cover RM2150 for M size car (my G20).

I’m happy with GGuard. No complaints from me. Condition after 1.5 yrs.

This post has been edited by takr: Jan 19 2020, 01:14 PM
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 12:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(AllnGap @ Jan 19 2020, 12:53 PM)
PPF front = protect front
Wax = every 2-3months interval (see no shine then go wax d)
Polish = every year interval
If I am going to install M performance parts like the side skirts, front and side splitters, side decal, rear spoiler, rear diffusers... should I do that too before I do PPF?
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 01:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(takr @ Jan 19 2020, 12:53 PM)

Huh, that look sshiny. So this thing works? i tkeeps the shine?

Soryr if I am asking a stupid q, but you do still need to polish and wax right?

This post has been edited by wild_card_my: Jan 19 2020, 01:00 PM
takr
post Jan 19 2020, 01:06 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 19 2020, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE(takr @ Jan 19 2020, 12:53 PM)

Huh, that look sshiny. So this thing works? i tkeeps the shine?

Soryr if I am asking a stupid q, but you do still need to polish and wax right?
Like somebody said above, polish only if dull or scratched up. PPF helps esp of you do highway speeds .. no unsightly stone chips so far smile.gif

If you wash your car properly (look up 2 bucket system, or see rinse less wash) you can minimize scratching hence minimize having to polish. So far I’ve only had to polish when a motorbike grazed her back bumper.

As for waxing / protection, I usually apply Carpro reload on top, maybe every 1-2 months. Sort of sacrificial layer if you’d like.
shadow_fax
post Jan 19 2020, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

Polish : will polish off a thin layer of clear coat, to remove swirl marks, fine scratches, and to bring back gloss.

Wax : add protection layer to the paint to protect the clear coat, looks glossy, and water beading effect.

Coating : permanent sort of thing similar to wax (depends on brand), will look gloss & shine providing you wash frequently. Wax can be added occasionally to further enhance the gloss & water beading. Coated car not to be polished otherwise will tear off the coat, so eventually you will have swirl marks, water marks, etc. Can’t prevent stone chips.

PPF : self healing good type will self cure after stone chips, may look different color if wrap only front part. May require special care during wash. No more polishing. Wax I’m not sure.

Best, if budget allows,
Coating first, then wrap with PPF.
And followed with recommended maintenance by detailing shop that do the PPF.
Krv23490
post Jan 19 2020, 01:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,150 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 19 2020, 12:26 PM)
My pre-registered car is coming soon and I want to protect its paint from the get go. My main objectives for the car:

1. Remain looking looking as beautiful as on display at the dealers
2. To keep the cost below the budget of RM5,000, this can be one-off, or be part of the maintenance payments (for example, wash and wax for RM300 every three-months means the budget can last for four years)
3. To have a manageable maintenance, I would rather pay someone to do it than having to do it myself. The cost for maintenance should be chalked into the budget above

With these options that I have, which would best suit my criteria above?:

1. applying a ceramic coating
2. installing PPF
3. applying quarterly polish/wax

I understand that it may not be possible to keep my car just as beautiful when it was new, but it is not wrong to try. Look at the car below on display, it is NOT my car, but I how beautiful the paint shines

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I use ceramic pro, I took the gold package , warranty 5 years, 2.6k, not bad at all for mine, everytime feel like the rain repellent not that good, I just go back there for free reapplication

max_cavalera
post Jan 19 2020, 01:15 PM

rebirth
5,406 posts

QUOTE(AllnGap @ Jan 19 2020, 01:42 PM)
Polish is when car shine not there, it's to remove very thin layer of clear coat btw, so it's not for you to do it frequently

Wax is added a layer of shine.
Wax it every 2-3months.

Once shine becomes dull, or for watermarks or thin layer of dirt that can't be washed off, only polish.
Then wax.
PPF is protection against stone chips, front bumper, hood, front wheel area. (Like screen protector)
Need to wax
Bos btc and eth dark knight rises a lot the last few weeks...surely u smiling ear to ear now
keyibukeyi
post Jan 19 2020, 01:18 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

who so free wash car just for it to shine, i just wash car when got bird dropping
SUSAllnGap
post Jan 19 2020, 01:20 PM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

QUOTE(max_cavalera @ Jan 19 2020, 01:15 PM)
Bos btc and eth dark knight rises a lot the last few weeks...surely u smiling ear to ear now
Dint capture la.... waiting for pullback that never came adoi
EddieBrock
post Jan 19 2020, 01:21 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

TS is insurance agent?
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 01:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(Krv23490 @ Jan 19 2020, 01:14 PM)
I use ceramic pro, I took the gold package , warranty 5 years, 2.6k, not bad at all for mine, everytime feel like the rain repellent not that good, I just go back there for free reapplication
So this is a coating right? when they reapply, do you see for yourself that they are doing it? Just chekcing if shops are true and honest to their work

QUOTE(max_cavalera @ Jan 19 2020, 01:15 PM)
Haha how is this applicable to this thread? laugh.gif

QUOTE(keyibukeyi @ Jan 19 2020, 01:18 PM)
who so free wash car just for it to shine, i just wash car when got bird dropping
When I was driving my local car I didn't a damn, but this is an investment of sort to me. If you drive an ugly BMW people will laugh at you for being miskin or have your priorities jumbled (can buy car, but no money to maintain the car, better buy cheaper cars)
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 01:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(EddieBrock @ Jan 19 2020, 01:21 PM)
TS is insurance agent?
I am a lot of things, including an insurance agent. But I do more than just that, basically in the personal finance spectrum
Krv23490
post Jan 19 2020, 01:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,150 posts

[quote=wild_card_my,Jan 19 2020, 01:22 PM]
So this is a coating right? when they reapply, do you see for yourself that they are doing it? Just chekcing if shops are true and honest to their work

Yes, their customer service is really good, you can watch them do it too if you want

ohman
post Jan 19 2020, 01:47 PM

Regular
1,178 posts

For your 330?
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 01:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(Krv23490 @ Jan 19 2020, 01:44 PM)
Yes, their customer service is really good, you can watch them do it too if you want

noted

QUOTE(ohman @ Jan 19 2020, 01:47 PM)
For your 330?
yes the G20 330i

This post has been edited by wild_card_my: Jan 19 2020, 01:55 PM
MusicForLife
post Jan 19 2020, 01:58 PM

Casual
354 posts

From my personally experience, waxing 2-3 times a year is the best.

I did coating before, spent bout 3k, interior wise I am happy but exterior is very troublesome, water mark stain and all. Every time go back have to queue and wait.

End up I bought a DA and read through how to do detailing.

Removed the coating myself and wax all over again.

So far very happy with it.
TSwild_card_my
post Jan 19 2020, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(MusicForLife @ Jan 19 2020, 01:58 PM)
From my personally experience, waxing 2-3 times a year is the best.

I did coating before, spent bout 3k, interior wise I am happy but exterior is very troublesome, water mark stain and all. Every time go back have to queue and wait.

End up I bought a DA and read through how to do detailing.

Removed the coating myself and wax all over again.

So far very happy with it.
thanks so much for this personal input man

i was worried about claiming the maintenance too. The shops may assign more manpower on the installation of the coating than the maintenance because they have already locked your money with them

If waxing, I do not believe I have the skill nor time to do it, I will just send it to the shop at my office, if it is RM200 every quarter it isn't too much at all. That is RM800 a year, while I have been quoted crazy amounts for "coating". I hate having my balls held by businessmen and their "warranty and maintenance" programs

How much did you spend to remove the coating?

This post has been edited by wild_card_my: Jan 19 2020, 02:04 PM
MusicForLife
post Jan 19 2020, 02:12 PM

Casual
354 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 19 2020, 02:04 PM)
thanks so much for this personal input man

i was worried about claiming the maintenance too. The shops may assign more manpower on the installation of the coating than the maintenance because they have already locked your money with them

If waxing, I do not believe I have the skill nor time to do it, I will just send it to the shop at my office, if it is RM200 every quarter it isn't too much at all. That is RM800 a year, while I have been quoted crazy amounts for "coating". I hate having my balls held by businessmen and their "warranty and maintenance" programs

How much did you spend to remove the coating?
No problem bro, I bought a DA and use compound to remove it myself took me quite awhile.

The thing about coating is really depending on how fussy you are, coating you get the shine but after awhile it will absorb those unnecessary contaminants, don’t get me wrong the car still shiny as heck.

For a detailed person like me I prefer shiny + clean, not just shine.

Really personal bro, you can check out lowyat detailing thread to understand more.
MEngineer
post Jan 19 2020, 02:14 PM

...Look at my stars...
850 posts

PPF the areas prone to stone chips ie the front of the car. Apart from that wash and wax plus detailed polishing once a year.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:50 AM