Review Beelink GT1 Mini-② Android TV Box, S905X3 | 4GB DDR4 | 64GB eMMC

views

puchongite
post Dec 10 2019, 04:28 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
29,257 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 10 2019, 04:20 PM)
For starters... It should be running a proper ATV OS with native Google Cast support + Google Assistant integration features baked in. Additionally, such certified devices will have official support for all apps in the ATV store and access to future Android OS updates.
Sounds more like ATV compliance or certification then. wink.gif
Marilynlai513
post Dec 16 2019, 05:06 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

TSvoncrane
post Dec 18 2019, 11:52 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(puchongite @ Dec 10 2019, 04:28 PM)
Sounds more like ATV compliance or certification then. wink.gif
Yup... Gotta certify everything.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Marilynlai513 @ Dec 16 2019, 05:06 PM)
Thanks.. Watched it.. Good review too.. He tested for ATMOS passthrough and confirms it works. It also appears no Dolby TrueHD support either, mirrors my experience.. I'll update my initial review to reflect this. Meanwhile, is there something else you'd like to point out?

This post has been edited by voncrane: Dec 19 2019, 12:04 AM
Marilynlai513
post Dec 19 2019, 06:39 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 18 2019, 11:52 PM)
Thanks.. Watched it.. Good review too.. He tested for ATMOS passthrough and confirms it works. It also appears no Dolby TrueHD support either, mirrors my experience.. I'll update my initial review to reflect this. Meanwhile, is there something else you'd like to point out?
Yes...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSvoncrane
post Dec 28 2019, 01:11 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(Marilynlai513 @ Dec 19 2019, 06:39 PM)
Yes...
Yeah... I got that notification as well.. On 2nd thought, reporter probably felt that you posting someone else's review video here was out of bounds.. sweat.gif ..

This post has been edited by voncrane: Dec 28 2019, 01:13 AM
TSvoncrane
post Dec 28 2019, 01:54 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Got around to flashing and testing out the latest ATV ROM by minixfreak. This is a nicely done and buttery smooth ATV port for the GT1 Mini-②. The ROM comes pre-rooted and with some choice pre-loaded apps to get you up and running. Voice search, etc via remote works perfectly.. Be it globally or within compatible apps. Works better than on stock ROM. Heck, i believe this is a smoother experience (thus far) than the stock ROM. Do the following to avoid some minor issues.
*Disable HDMI-CEC
*Change screensaver sleep settings from its default option to "Never". Doing this avoids a black screen of death issue when it's left idling for a couple hours.

Minor con would be AFRd's current settings and how it switches back and forth.. It does its work, just needs some slight tweaking to account for in app ads that popup halfway during a video playback. I'll take a crack at it first before resorting to premium or setting up ad-blocking.

Minixfreak_OS V3 Support thread
ROM direct download url

Here are some screenshots showing the Home-screen, App drawer, Play Store, RAM & Storage (initial) usage, YouTube 4K support, bunch of system info and settings..
Attached Image Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by voncrane: Dec 28 2019, 01:57 AM
AVFAN
post Dec 28 2019, 10:29 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 18 2019, 11:52 PM)
that, i have watched on 2 videos.

if not mistaken, can do dtsx but dtshdma comes out dts only!

after tracking so many of these new boxes, i decided to stop chasing one that can do ALL hd audio.

will see what comes out in 2020.

another thing i find bizzare is quite of no. of box makers spend time and resources to do ATV only to produce half cooked products.

minix T5 can't do netflix HD, can't do HD audio; himedia S500 can do netflix HD but not 4K, can't do HD audio - what a blardy disaster! tongue.gif

nobody's gonna pay USD150 for these.... what were they thinking?!!
TSvoncrane
post Dec 29 2019, 12:40 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Dec 28 2019, 10:29 PM)
that, i have watched on 2 videos.

if not mistaken, can do dtsx but dtshdma comes out dts only!

after tracking so many of these new boxes, i decided to stop chasing one that can do ALL hd audio.

will see what comes out in 2020.
another thing i find bizzare is quite of no. of box makers spend time and resources to do ATV only to produce half cooked products.

minix T5 can't do netflix HD, can't do HD audio; himedia S500 can do netflix HD but not 4K, can't do HD audio - what a blardy disaster! tongue.gif

nobody's gonna pay USD150 for these.... what were they thinking?!!
What to do.. Consumerism at its finest.. it's like how cars & phones are being released each year and there's always something missing or overdone, etc. See even Samsung released the Note series. The Note series that used to be the best of the best tech has to offer. They introduced the Note 10 & a Note 10+.. Neither of which was the clear winner. And now after all the drama.. There's going to be a Note 10 Lite, with no wireless charging feature among other things...in 2020 doh.gif doh.gif . Yet, they still expect folks to cough up decent money for it..

It's no surprise why the King remains the King even after all these years. To be fair, folks at Nvidia have large deep pockets for R&D. Obviously they can employ some of the best talents and just assign them to exclusively work on the Shield. Smaller manufacturers simply can't compete on that level just yet. Perhaps, AMLogic too might decide to get in on the game.. Design and produce their own box running ATV/Regular Android OS with both Netflix & full HD audio support.. If they do, i hope they open source their files for the community to work on. Until then, what to do.. We make do with what we have. I do agree with your last statement, if one is going to charge the same of even within $20 range of the Shield? You best make sure it performs at minimum, almost as the Shield would. Else, it's a no-brainer for folks willing to spend such amounts on a box.
lockmunk
post Mar 18 2020, 07:43 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

Hi guys, just received this box yesterday. Is there any way to unroot this box to run aotg & unifi plah tv?
TSvoncrane
post Mar 18 2020, 09:09 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(lockmunk @ Mar 18 2020, 07:43 AM)
Hi guys, just received this box yesterday. Is there any way to unroot this box to run aotg & unifi plah tv?
Hi, AFAIK....There isn't yet an easy unroot solution.. You can install the Astro Go beta app on it.. Latest version still works well. As for Unifi Play TV, I don't have login info to test it out.

On another note, in addition to CoreELEC, the EmuELEC simulator system is also now compatible with all Beelink TV boxes. I've attached a brief explanation & guide on how to install it, using mostly the GT1 Mini-②, GT-King & GT-King Pro.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  EmuELEC_system_installation_tutorial.pdf ( 630.07k ) Number of downloads: 10
lockmunk
post Mar 18 2020, 05:03 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Mar 18 2020, 09:09 AM)
Hi, AFAIK....There isn't yet an easy unroot solution.. You can install the Astro Go beta app on it.. Latest version still works well. As for Unifi Play TV, I don't have login info to test it out.

On another note, in addition to CoreELEC, the EmuELEC simulator system is also now compatible with all Beelink TV boxes. I've attached a brief explanation & guide on how to install it, using mostly the GT1 Mini-②, GT-King & GT-King Pro.
Thanks, I will try it later when bored with this box. hehee.

by the way, I manage to fully unroot n use astro go & unifiplaytv.
1. Install Busybox PRO version from aptoide.
2. launch Busybox Pro apps and click uninstall busybox.
3. Using any file explorer that can access root (I use X-plore). go to /system/xbin
4. find "su" and delete it.
5. Reboot and all is good now.
TSvoncrane
post Mar 18 2020, 08:14 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(lockmunk @ Mar 18 2020, 05:03 PM)
Thanks, I will try it later when bored with this box. hehee.

by the way, I manage to fully unroot n use astro go & unifiplaytv.
1. Install Busybox PRO version from aptoide.
2. launch Busybox Pro apps and click uninstall busybox.
3. Using any file explorer that can access root (I use X-plore). go to /system/xbin
4. find "su" and delete it.
5. Reboot and all is good now.
Sweet... I’ll reflash stock and give it a whirl later..
arvind13
post Apr 7 2020, 12:36 PM

Casual
398 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Mar 18 2020, 08:14 PM)
Sweet... I’ll reflash stock and give it a whirl later..
Hi bro, did u managed to get your box to be un-rooted following the above steps.

Thinking of getting this box for movie streaming & media playback frm KODI since now price < RM200 which makes a value buy i suppose. thumbsup.gif
Reviews are good as well for this gt1 mini 2. biggrin.gif
TSvoncrane
post Apr 8 2020, 11:27 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(arvind13 @ Apr 7 2020, 12:36 PM)
Hi bro, did u managed to get your box to be un-rooted following the above steps.

Thinking of getting this box for movie streaming & media playback frm KODI since now price < RM200 which makes a value buy i suppose. thumbsup.gif
Reviews are good as well for this gt1 mini 2.  biggrin.gif
Yes, I was able to get it "unrooted".. somewhat... Stock ROM though. However, since I prefer running a custom ATV OS ROM on it.. It didn't matter much to me. I reached out to the ROM's chef asking if it root can be removed through the same methods. Fella replied he doesn't think it'll work. And I for fear of bricking it, didn't bother trying. biggrin.gif .. There's Magisk for it though. Again with (IMO) a major downside, each boot up must be done via recovery mode. Unless one is really really into the box's development.. I wouldn't recommend the hassle. As an average user's media player, it's supposed to be a simple plug, play & "forget" device. Kodi is my primary app of choice and it has zero issues nor does it care if it's run on a rooted device. As for that other special Malaysian app(s)? Working versions are available. Just look around. icon_idea.gif
tertiary
post Apr 8 2020, 11:49 AM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(arvind13 @ Apr 7 2020, 12:36 PM)

Reviews are good as well for this gt1 mini 2.  biggrin.gif
There are other S905X3 boxes with root/unroot switch built into stock FW, such as A95X F3 and Magicsee N5 Max. The unroot works without needing a reboot (I have both and confirmed it works). I might be selling my nearly brand new A95X F3 (full version, not Air).

Of course, the Beelink will have better third-party ROM support.
arvind13
post Apr 8 2020, 12:49 PM

Casual
398 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Apr 8 2020, 11:27 AM)
Yes, I was able to get it "unrooted".. somewhat... Stock ROM though. However, since I prefer running a custom ATV OS ROM on it.. It didn't matter much to me. I reached out to the ROM's chef asking if it root can be removed through the same methods. Fella replied he doesn't think it'll work. And I for fear of bricking it, didn't bother trying.  biggrin.gif .. There's Magisk for it though. Again with (IMO) a major downside, each boot up must be done via recovery mode. Unless one is really really into the box's development.. I wouldn't recommend the hassle. As an average user's media player, it's supposed to be a simple plug, play & "forget" device. Kodi is my primary app of choice and it has zero issues nor does it care if it's run on a rooted device. As for that other special Malaysian app(s)? Working versions are available. Just look around.  icon_idea.gif
A'ah i see.. Good to know that.. Anyways i won't be goin through the hassle of meddling with the box for root access option as I don't really need it as well. Will be just using the stock ROM. On another note good to hear that KODI works flawlessly in this mini sized box where i guess the box remote is much bigger than the box itself based on the reviews. biggrin.gif

And yeah your are right, i can look around for working Malaysian app version.. thumbup.gif
arvind13
post Apr 8 2020, 01:10 PM

Casual
398 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Apr 8 2020, 11:49 AM)
There are other S905X3 boxes with root/unroot switch built into stock FW, such as A95X F3 and Magicsee N5 Max. The unroot works without needing a reboot (I have both and confirmed it works). I might be selling my nearly brand new A95X F3 (full version, not Air).

Of course, the Beelink will have better third-party ROM support.
Yeap.. True enough there are plenty of S905x3 boxes out there, thus it really boils down on what user really wants..

Like for myself..i need 4gb ddr4 ram,32/64gb rom, gigabit Ethernet, dual band wifi, Navigation/Status Bar, 2 or more USB ports , no major heating issues & finally price < RM200. thumbup.gif

Beelink should also offer more updates compared with Magicsee i suppose.. hmm.gif
tertiary
post Apr 8 2020, 01:34 PM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(arvind13 @ Apr 8 2020, 01:10 PM)
Yeap.. True enough there are plenty of S905x3 boxes out there, thus it really boils down on what user really wants.. 

Like for myself..i need 4gb ddr4 ram,32/64gb rom, gigabit Ethernet, dual band wifi, Navigation/Status Bar, 2 or more USB ports , no major heating issues & finally price < RM200.   thumbup.gif

Beelink should also offer more updates compared with Magicsee i suppose..   hmm.gif
Both the A95X F3 and Magicsee N5 Max have all of that except the gigabit LAN port and DDR4. At first I thought that would be a limitation and held off buying for that reason, but then I saw that UHD streaming only takes about 25Mbps bandwidth, so 100Mbit LAN is plenty if that's all you're doing. Some of the later N5s have gigabit LAN, though. It's a good box, slightly better quality than the A95X, and Magicsee actually have a support website.

This post has been edited by tertiary: Apr 8 2020, 01:34 PM
arvind13
post Apr 8 2020, 02:05 PM

Casual
398 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Apr 8 2020, 01:34 PM)
Both the A95X F3 and Magicsee N5 Max have all of that except the gigabit LAN port and DDR4. At first I thought that would be a limitation and held off buying for that reason, but then I saw that UHD streaming only takes about 25Mbps bandwidth, so 100Mbit LAN is plenty if that's all you're doing. Some of the later N5s have gigabit LAN, though. It's a good box, slightly better quality than the A95X, and Magicsee actually have a support website.
Yeah the Magicsee N6 Plus has got the gigabit LAN port but is on the high cost side..and heard before that for UHD streaming needs about 20 - 30Mbps of bandwidth but i think having a gigaport would be a good substitute should the Wifi signal not up to par/unstable especially when we can get it for < RM200 budget. wink.gif

tertiary
post Apr 8 2020, 02:22 PM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(arvind13 @ Apr 8 2020, 02:05 PM)
Yeah the Magicsee N6 Plus has got the gigabit LAN port but is on the high cost side..and heard before that for UHD streaming needs about 20 - 30Mbps of bandwidth but i think having a gigaport would be a good substitute should the Wifi signal not up to par/unstable especially when we can get it for < RM200 budget.  wink.gif
As I said, a later version of the N5 Max has gigabit LAN, within your budget.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0236sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:04 PM