Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Beelink GT-King Pro (Beast) Android Box Review, AMLogic S922X-H /4GB RAM /64GB ROM / 9.0

views

AVFAN
post Oct 27 2019, 10:04 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 27 2019, 12:54 AM)
Haha.. Yeah we do... Imagine my surprise that you too were discussing about Netflix Dv, etc.. haha..How about we agree that the discussion was done for the benefit of those who are still unaware of these type things. So I tried MX Player pro and it's worse.. Equipment wasn't detecting any HD audio signals. not even for basic DD5.1.. Tweaked settings here there.. HW+ to HW to SW decoding etc.. No progress. So i ditched it.. Kodi and VLC then. The following are images showing YouTube @ 4K res using the remote friendly ATV app.. Also, AFS actively working with AFRD. Main review post updated too..

BDMV ISO Selection Menu

Choosing the "Show Bluray Menu" option does nothing. File begins playback instead.

AFS via AFRD Not that I felt it was needed in the first place. Beelink made it easier to install by including it in the FW bundled "App Store".

**TV

MX pro no good... that's disappointing... it should work at least for core dd/dts.

with kodi, the bluray menu does not work with some devices, works clumsily with others.. have seen it.
which is why some go for himedia, zidoo, egreat where it works nicely.

framerate... good there is an option now.. even new shieldtv now comes with this option, a beta one.
w/o this, some micro stutters may be observed with certain videos.

alright... thanks for info on GTKP. thumbsup.gif
will follow the coming reviews of the other new boxes, see what they offer.
not going DV+DA anytime soon but will be impt to keep up if buying a new box.
Scissorshand
post Oct 29 2019, 06:15 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

When you gonna level up with a video of your husky "Morgan Freeman" voice?
TSvoncrane
post Nov 3 2019, 07:09 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Oct 29 2019, 06:15 PM)

When you gonna level up with a video of your husky "Morgan Freeman" voice?
Haha.. Please don't even begin to compare my voice with that of a Legend. That bar is so high.. sweat.gif

On another note.. Updates

*Couple custom ROMs popped up for the GT-King Pro.
ALVATECH Standard Android (9.0 Pie) S922X-H. This is based off the stock Android OS FW. Made better, IMO.
POISON TV GT_KING & PRO V3. Android TV OS ROM for those who'd prefer it over regular Android.

*Netflix officially remains at 540p via the app. Unofficially, 1080p is attainable via the Kodi Netflix addon. Still trying to make 4K work.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Nov 3 2019, 07:15 AM
TSvoncrane
post Nov 3 2019, 07:14 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Oct 27 2019, 10:04 AM)
MX pro no good... that's disappointing... it should work at least for core dd/dts.

with kodi, the bluray menu does not work with some devices, works clumsily with others.. have seen it.
which is why some go for himedia, zidoo, egreat where it works nicely.

framerate... good there is an option now.. even new shieldtv now comes with this option, a beta one.
w/o this, some micro stutters may be observed with certain videos.
alright... thanks for info on GTKP. thumbsup.gif
will follow the coming reviews of the other new boxes, see what they offer.
not going DV+DA anytime soon but will be impt to keep up if buying a new box.
You are welcome... I'm almost certain that DV & DA aren't as yet supported on this Pro device. Also suggested by Beelink. I just can't categorically make such a bold statement. But yeah, if those 2 are major immediate concerns? Then you might want to hold off or go for the KING... Else performance-wise, this Pro is quite the beast. I still stand by my words.. It's the second best out there. Now if only they can switch to making non-rooted devices or officially providing a no-root option. Then can recommend it highly for Asterruk app users too, as the beta works quite well on it.
AVFAN
post Nov 3 2019, 11:37 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Nov 3 2019, 07:14 AM)
You are welcome... I'm almost certain that DV & DA aren't as yet supported on this Pro device. Also suggested by Beelink. I just can't categorically make such a bold statement. But yeah, if those 2 are major immediate concerns? Then you might want to hold off or go for the KING... Else performance-wise, this Pro is quite the beast. I still stand by my words.. It's the second best out there. Now if only they can switch to making non-rooted devices or officially providing a no-root option. Then can recommend it highly for Asterruk app users too, as the beta works quite well on it.
Waiting for minix u22xj.... see what comes out of it.

Meanwhile, i managed to squeeze a lot out of ultra cheap tx3max, incl lossless audio. biggrin.gif
TSvoncrane
post Nov 4 2019, 01:50 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Nov 3 2019, 11:37 AM)
Waiting for minix u22xj.... see what comes out of it.

Meanwhile, i managed to squeeze a lot out of ultra cheap tx3max, incl lossless audio. biggrin.gif
Yeah... Gonna be a tough one.. Especially as Minix is...well,..Minix... and ships their devices unrooted. sweat.gif If only can merge Ugoos's software tweak smarts with Beelink's hardware. That'd be a formidable combo.

Yeah, some devices can be bent to one's will. Others, not so much.. I gained similarly from the Neo U1. Though an older device.. Still able to make it passthrough audio up to DTS HD-MA from Kodi. For a bossku of your level,
TSvoncrane
post Nov 28 2019, 03:44 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Newsletter

Attached Image

The GT King series now supports a dual system plan. Both the Regular and the Pro versions now support dual-booting Android & CoreELEC. CoreELEC for the uninitiated is a ‘Just enough OS’ Linux distribution based on Kodi technology for popular AMLogic hardware. There's a stable (Latest version being CoreELEC 9.2.0) and nightly versions. Beelink in the past reached out the the CoreELEC dev team and have been working in-depth behind the scenes for compatibility. The time is here and the GT-King series are officially supported by the CoreELEC dev team. Promises have been made to have more Beelink products adapted to this dual-booting system. I'll update as time goes on, which devices become supported.

CoreELEC Pre-Installed
In order to thank users for their support for our products..An 8GB SD/TF card with CoreELEC system pre-installed will ship with future sold units of the GT-King series... So one only has to insert the SD/TF card in our GT-King series products. The CoreELEC system can be used immediately with minimal fuss. Take note, I'm unsure how long this free and pre-installed SD/TF card deal will continue. So interested parties should grab it while they can.

Switch freely between OSes
Being a dual-booting system, it's important to note that switching between both OSes is made even simpler. This is to aid users to switch freely between the Android AOSP system and the CoreELEC system. Just press and hold the power off button of the remote control, and the System switch option will appear as shown in the figure below. Select this option and confirm, the machine will restart into the CoreELEC system located in the SD/TF card.

Attached Image

As time goes one, we will endeavor to adapt this feature to more devices. If there's a model you'd like to see such on, you can also contact us. We will try to contact the corresponding developers to adapt it for the products.

How to use the dual OS system.
Booting into CoreELEC
Create yours or insert the supplied SD/TF card into the card slot, connect the power and turn on the machine. The CoreELEC system will boot up automatically. From this, we can deduce that as long as the SD/TF card is inserted, the first/default boot option is CoreELEC.

Stock Android to CoreELEC
So you are already booted into Android and would like to switch to CoreELEC. Just insert the pre-loaded card.. Press and hold the power off button on the remote control.. Select the "System switch option", and allow the system to restart into CoreELEC OS.
Attached Image

CoreELEC to Android
In this instance, one already booted the CoreELEC OS and would like to switch over to the Android OS. Simply select the "Reboot from to eMMC/NAND" option from the Power menu. The system will reboot into Android automatically.
Attached Image

Alternatively, launch the main menu, enter the exit option, select the "Reboot from NAND" option. This should initiate a restart and boot into the Android AOSP system.

Attached Image

Updating the CoreELEC OS
Firstly download the incremental package file. Then copy this downloaded file to the /storage/.update folder on the device. Restarting the device will initiate the update. Bare in mind that on the STABLE version can be automatically updated in the system. The nightly version involves manually updating the core files.

CoreELEC official website
For more information, please pay attention to Beelink's official website
TSvoncrane
post Mar 18 2020, 09:18 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

In addition to CoreELEC, the EmuELEC simulator system is also now compatible with all Beelink TV boxes. I've attached a brief explanation & guide on how to install it, using mostly the GT1 Mini-②, GT-King & GT-King Pro.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  EmuELEC_system_installation_tutorial.pdf ( 630.07k ) Number of downloads: 48
jabz
post Apr 16 2020, 11:10 AM

Getting Started
280 posts

yeay... searching on latest amlogic s922 in shopee come across with beelink GT king... then search lowyat to find review... found sifu topic here... nice... ok, gonna purchase this...
TSvoncrane
post Apr 19 2020, 02:39 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(jabz @ Apr 16 2020, 11:10 AM)
yeay... searching on latest amlogic s922 in shopee come across with beelink GT king...  then search lowyat to find review... found sifu topic here... nice... ok, gonna purchase this...
Yeah, it's an excellent beast of a box.. albeit with some hardware refreshes after my review... Before purchasing, do check which hardware version the seller is selling. I've learned there are 3 types now, SN:922H (this is the version I reviewed), then there's the SN:C922HQ, & another SA9HH. If officially from Beelink, it should be one of the latter 2 SNs.. Hardware improvements were made to the original design and or performance. Rest assured, all three versions support dual-booting with CoreELEC/EmeELEC & Custom ROMS (Regular android & ATV OS) options. Thanks for the support. smile.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Apr 19 2020, 02:39 PM
jabz
post Apr 19 2020, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
280 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Apr 19 2020, 02:39 PM)
Yeah, it's an excellent beast of a box.. albeit with some hardware refreshes after my review... Before purchasing, do check which hardware version the seller is selling. I've learned there are 3 types now, SN:922H (this is the version I reviewed), then there's the SN:C922HQ, & another SA9HH. If officially from Beelink, it should be one of the latter 2 SNs.. Hardware improvements were made to the original design and or performance. Rest assured, all three versions support dual-booting with CoreELEC/EmeELEC & Custom ROMS (Regular android & ATV OS) options. Thanks for the support. smile.gif
yeah... ok noted on that...
thank you...
Scissorshand
post May 4 2020, 10:44 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

Bro Voncrane

Will you test this Netflix apk see if you could get up to 1080p?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNqEQDZCu6...Cj0EUjBcKh/view
TSvoncrane
post May 7 2020, 05:23 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ May 4 2020, 10:44 PM)
Bro Voncrane

Will you test this Netflix apk see if you could get up to 1080p?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNqEQDZCu6...Cj0EUjBcKh/view
Hey... Excuse the late reply.. Been otherwise busy.. Unfortunately (as expected), this too does not get beyond 854/720 X 480p resolutions. See images below.. I'm running Alvatech's custom ATV OS ROM though. AFAIK, the best bet for successfully achieving 1080p res remains dual-booting the OpenELEC OS running the Netflix addon.

This post has been edited by voncrane: May 7 2020, 05:32 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSvoncrane
post May 7 2020, 06:00 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Update
Currently running the V3.0 of ALVATECH's Android TV - ATV (9.0 Pie). This ROM is based off of Beelink's stock firmware.
*Performance: Remains blazing fast.
*ATV OS specific features such as UI designed around content discovery and voice search (using the bundled remote), surfacing content aggregated from various media apps and services, and integration with other recent Google technologies such as Assistant, etc, works..
*HDMI Passthru works.
*Asterruk works
*Netflix remains maxed out at 480p

Cons
*Buggy Ethernet connection issue: When left in standby mode for too long or for some other random reason, it loses internet connection. A quick reboot and all is well. WiFi is fine, but I prefer being wired for such devices.
*HDMI-CEC implementation. After disabling the HDMI-CEC feature in settings. Placing the device into standby mode works, but it doesn't remain in standby mode. After sometime, switching HDMI sources on the TV or putting the TV into and out of standby mode, also wakes up the box. A slight issue but one nonetheless that might bug some. It doesn't bug me. So overall, having used this since the ROM's release, I say it's a significant improvement over the stock ROM and it'll remain my daily driver for this device until I try something better or forced to return to stock ROM (update pushed).

Changes/Mods & Tweaks in Alvatech's ROM
*Removed unneeded apps that Beelink had installed.
*Cleaned up Beelink's scripts that I don't use in this ROM.
*Added Extra options in TV Settings (side settings).
*Fixed TV Settings issues to work like it's suppose to in Android TV.
*Added Multi Webview options under Developer options / WebView Implementation.
*Fixed some framework issues.
*Nicer mouse cursor for easy viewing.
*Top status bar hidden but working if needed.
*Navigation bar hidden but you can pull up if needed.
*Double click home button brings up Recent Apps in Grid View.
*Long Press on home button brings up Google Assistant.
*Added TV Settings in App Drawer.
*Additional Apps: X-Plore File Manager, Smart YouTube TV, Netflix, Kodi, & Power Menu (With Recovery Boot Option)
*Added additional *kl files to support more devices.
*Removed and cleaned up files that are no longer needed.
*Added 4K support for different YouTube versions.
*Android TV remote control works with voice too.
*Fixed a permission grant issue
*Change screen saver options in TV Settings / Device Preferences
*Updated Gapps & Permissions.
*HDMI CEC Language turned off by default.
*Alvatech Boot Logo and Boot Animation
*TWRP Recovery
*IPTV Fix
*Miracast for Android Phones
*System Optimizations
*Long Press power button on remote for System Switch option.
*Fixed voice support for other remotes too. Example G30S remote.
*Removed Chromecast banner from backdrop screensaver.
*Removed Long Press Google Assistant. If needed use win key on a keyboard.

Screenshots
Attached Image
Scissorshand
post May 7 2020, 09:30 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

OK, thanks for testing out
underworld
post May 28 2020, 12:53 PM

Th3 D3vIL
1,182 posts

how is this compare with MINIX NEO U22-XJ
TSvoncrane
post May 28 2020, 08:07 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(underworld @ May 28 2020, 12:53 PM)
how is this compare with MINIX NEO U22-XJ
Hmmm, be easier to respond if you share your concerns about either box or requirements.
underworld
post May 29 2020, 10:47 AM

Th3 D3vIL
1,182 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 28 2020, 08:07 PM)
Hmmm, be easier to respond if you share your concerns about either box or requirements.
dolby vision and atmos support, ease of use , speed, streaming BD rips from ext HDD
TSvoncrane
post May 29 2020, 04:04 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(underworld @ May 29 2020, 10:47 AM)
dolby vision and atmos support, ease of use ,  speed, streaming BD rips from ext HDD
Hey.. I can now confirm now that the GT-King Pro does not support Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS, & DTS:X. Not natively and not via hdmi pass-thru tech. The issue is being worked on and once success, will be released along with a software update. Though it is expected to ship as default with the GS-King X. So I'll advise some patience either for the King Pro of the upcoming X version. In comparison, the MINIX Neo U22-XJ does have confirmed support for Dolby Vision and Audio right out of the box. One of the few AMLogic equipped boxes to support DV on regular Android (Android 9) OS. IIRC, the Amazon Cube is another DV capable device. Minix pays licensing fees to Dolby for this support. Although afaik, they aren't coming out to state officially that ATMOS is supported. hmm.gif .. As for DTS:X? That's unsupported.

One thing I do have to point out is that DV on the Minix Neo U22-XJ is being reported as a half-baked experience. Something I'm not familiar with where Minix devices are concerned. Minix are known to only release a new device with (at minimum) a stable firmware that does as they claim. They don't over-claim capabilities on their devices. So finding out about this and that they are being tight-lipped about it is unusual..IMO. Word online though is that they are aware of the issue and AMLogic has been alerted to the color issues/performance. Amlogic should by now have released another SDK version. From which Minix devs will get to work incorporating in to the next firmware update. If all goes well? there should be a firmware update soon and the DV issues should be resolved too.

Now if all these bores you and or is too much work waiting, hacking la, etc? TBH, your safest choice would be to get the Nvidia Shield instead. Confirmed all 3 capable..Personally? I'd wait.. but then I love to tinker and don't mind getting my hands dirty.. brows.gif
AVFAN
post May 29 2020, 04:49 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ May 29 2020, 04:04 PM)
Hey.. I can now confirm now that the GT-King Pro does not support Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS, & DTS:X. Not natively and not via hdmi pass-thru tech. The issue is being worked on and once success, will be released along with a software update. Though it is expected to ship as default with the GS-King X. So I'll advise some patience either for the King Pro of the upcoming X version. In comparison, the MINIX Neo U22-XJ does have confirmed support for Dolby Vision and Audio right out of the box. One of the few AMLogic equipped boxes to support DV on regular Android (Android 9) OS. IIRC, the Amazon Cube is another DV capable device. Minix pays licensing fees to Dolby for this support. Although afaik, they aren't coming out to state officially that ATMOS is supported.  hmm.gif .. As for DTS:X? That's unsupported.

One thing I do have to point out is that DV on the Minix Neo U22-XJ is being reported as a half-baked experience. Something I'm not familiar with where Minix devices are concerned. Minix are known to only release a new device with (at minimum) a stable firmware that does as they claim. They don't over-claim capabilities on their devices. So finding out about this and that they are being tight-lipped about it is unusual..IMO. Word online though is that they are aware of the issue and AMLogic has been alerted to the color issues/performance. Amlogic should by now have released another SDK version. From which Minix devs will get to work incorporating in to the next firmware update. If all goes well? there should be a firmware update soon and the DV issues should be resolved too.

Now if all these bores you and or is too much work waiting, hacking la, etc? TBH, your safest choice would be to get the Nvidia Shield instead. Confirmed all 3 capable..Personally? I'd wait.. but then I love to tinker and don't mind getting my hands dirty..  brows.gif
dolby vision is a tough one.
even now, only a few devices are licensed for NETFLIX Dolby Vision.
shieldtv has DV for netflix but not for local playback.
for local playback of media files with dolby vision, i doubt there is any box that can do that.
only bluray dvd players playing discs with DV can deliver DV.

minix u22-xj... was hoping this will be a great one.
but reading this thread is frustrating... there are no good answers to HD audio and DV.
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?threads...ion.2603/page-3
and since it is not netflix certified, surely it will not have netflix DV.
local playback DV, i doubt it can do properly.
perhaps such media files are still very rare anyway, nobody is in a hurry.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0233sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:30 PM