Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MY Kastam may confiscate your hand carry helmet!

views

MeToo
post Jul 12 2019, 10:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,297 posts

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Jul 12 2019, 10:11 AM)

Don't just penalise bikers that are using / buying high grade helmets (e.g.: NOLAN / SHOEI / ARAI / HJC / etc...)  mad.gif  vmad.gif  bruce.gif  knock.gif
For every single helmet model that is sent to SIRIM for testing they will DESTROY that helmet.

SO its almost impossible to get certification for rare models and/or limited stuff. If the seller can sell only 5 units but need to send 1 unit to be destroyed... the margin how?

Thats why ARAI/SHOEI or any expensive brands, difficult to find variety in Msia. And if got might not be SIRIM approved.
basilisk
post Jul 12 2019, 11:04 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Jul 12 2019, 10:51 AM)
motardinn
Have you bought from them before?
If yes, how was it? OK? No problems with shipping?  smile.gif
hvnt bought frm motodin...
shipping shud be no prob la..

prob is if tahan kastam... tht time.. nid to run here run there..
each fler hv their own version of rules..

ha.. itu maciam nid to think more than twice.. wana buy ornot...
basilisk
post Jul 12 2019, 11:05 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 12 2019, 10:55 AM)
For every single helmet model that is sent to SIRIM for testing they will DESTROY that helmet.

SO its almost impossible to get certification for rare models and/or limited stuff. If the seller can sell only 5 units but need to send 1 unit to be destroyed... the margin how?

Thats why ARAI/SHOEI or any expensive brands, difficult to find variety in Msia. And if got might not be SIRIM approved.
if helmet got ece cert, importer no nid get sirim dy...

mypie
post Jul 12 2019, 11:20 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Jul 11 2019, 09:44 PM)
Meaning sirim jpj trying is better than tuv, dot, Snell?

Wow.
You know what standards mean? Literally being equal or same. And Malaysia is a member of International Standard Organisation. So either MS1 or ECE22 it is equal on minimum requirements. Manufacturer can of course go beyond but the testing regime is only to find out if this requirement being fullfil or not.

The standards are also based on local law. In this respect the law that is related to helmet are
1. All motorcycle rider/pillion are required to wear helmet.
2. Legal speed limit is 110km/j

So the cokia MS88 helmet is within this minimum requirements to lower down the cost/price as the target markets are for the mass. Is it better than Arai? No. Is it pass the test? Yes.

Back to the question why kastam need SIRIM when ECE sticker is there. This is more to proof the ECE is real deal. How would you know if you not test it. It is even important to the user as it is common knowledge that you can purchase new 'Arai rx7' for RM500 je.

basilisk
post Jul 12 2019, 11:31 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(mypie @ Jul 12 2019, 11:20 AM)

Back to the question why kastam need SIRIM when ECE sticker is there. This is more to proof the ECE is real deal. How would you know if you not test it. It is even important to the user as it is common knowledge that you can purchase new 'Arai rx7' for RM500 je.
there is no mention need to hv both.

most of the branded helmet legally sold here dont hv sirim, some hv jpj sticker, some dont hv.
g3n0c1d3
post Jul 12 2019, 11:56 AM

hai hai... kazuma dayo....
6,493 posts

my helmet only go ECE cert sticker.... i guess im good then lol...
TSJustin.Loong
post Jul 12 2019, 12:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 12 2019, 10:55 AM)

Yes, correct on the bolded part.
IINM, helmet importers / manufacturers need to send around 10 pcs (maybe more?) for testing.
SIRIM (as well as other testing bodies) will test on penetration, drop, immersion, heat, etc...
Like the pictures below.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Referring to your limited / rare certification, again IINM, no need to send the actual limited edition for testing.
For example; if a manufacturer has 300 units limited edition (like the SZ Ram 4 Oriental below), no need to send the actual unit (SZ Ram 4 Oriental) but send the actual model (SZ Ram 4) for SIRIM testing.
user posted image

Anyhow, just FYI on helmet testing standards pictures below.
user posted image

user posted image
TSJustin.Loong
post Jul 12 2019, 12:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Jul 12 2019, 11:04 AM)
hvnt bought frm motodin...
shipping shud be no prob la..

prob is if tahan kastam... tht time.. nid to run here run there..
each fler hv their own version of rules..

ha.. itu maciam nid to think more than twice.. wana buy ornot...
+1.
Beli senang but then kena tahan at Kastam susah a bit. sweat.gif
Need to go to KLIA then lari to Putrajaya then back to KLIA. doh.gif bangwall.gif
TSJustin.Loong
post Jul 12 2019, 01:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

Drillz of Ah Jib Kor @ Bossku... brows.gif innocent.gif
user posted image
mypie
post Jul 12 2019, 04:46 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Jul 12 2019, 11:31 AM)
there is no mention need to hv both.

most of the branded helmet legally sold here dont hv sirim, some hv jpj sticker, some dont hv.
You are right. It is redundant to have both. As you can see, this sign board placed at public areas at the border enterence to warn and only applicable to the casual importers who accidentally (or not) bring in the helmet in small quantities. For the commercial importers with large consignments, they either have the proper cert to proof the standards and legality or send few sample of the same batch for testing. For this, you wouldn't see the sirim sticker.

How the testing is conducted for your viewing pleasure.

This post has been edited by mypie: Jul 12 2019, 04:51 PM
waveweaver
post Jul 12 2019, 07:27 PM

★★Android & Apple★★
All Stars
13,146 posts

Sirim MS1 is better than ECE 22.05.. Sirim do the same test as ECE but with additional puncture test. Minimum legal cert needed in Malaysia is ECE 22.05
DOT is mandatory in US. Unfortunately DOT is honorary cert. Dept of Transport US give a guideline and helmets manufacture do their own test. It's a loophole that some manufacture take by not doing any testing at all. That's why FIM does not recognize DOT cert for any of their Grand Prix races. Any helmet that want to be use in official race must have atleast ECE cert then only FIM will allow the helmet to be tested by FIM.

This post has been edited by waveweaver: Jul 12 2019, 09:04 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
PedangGila
post Jul 13 2019, 12:35 AM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Nak duit letew
TSJustin.Loong
post Jul 15 2019, 08:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(waveweaver @ Jul 12 2019, 07:27 PM)
Sirim MS1 is better than ECE 22.05.. Sirim do the same test as ECE but with additional puncture test. Minimum legal cert needed in Malaysia is ECE 22.05
DOT is mandatory in US. Unfortunately DOT is honorary cert. Dept of Transport US give a guideline and helmets manufacture do their own test. It's a loophole that some manufacture take by not doing any testing at all. That's why FIM does not recognize DOT cert for any of their Grand Prix races. Any helmet that want to be use in official race must have atleast ECE cert then only FIM will allow the helmet to be tested by FIM.
+1.
user posted image

user posted image

Which was why some riders were temporarily using other brands rather than their own sponsored brands. brows.gif
user posted image

This post has been edited by Justin.Loong: Jul 15 2019, 08:49 AM
cyhac
post Aug 16 2019, 09:18 AM

6 posts

Planning to buy a visor and spoiler for my Icon Airflite Helmet. i have checked that Icon is ECE 22.05 certified as the label is on the helmet strap and is also DOT certified.On the Visor there is also the ECE number. Rather than take the risk will order it from the retailer of Icon here in KL.
kshen
post Aug 21 2019, 12:16 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

Would like to ask , I'm heading to UK soon and was hoping to buy a helmet.

Let's say I buy then bring through KLIA malaysia through hand carry how's the process like to get It approved? This is for personal use and is ECE certified (confirmed on their web). Or will I be able to pass since it's ECE certified

If kena rampas then go jpj claim, during the time frame whereby the helmet is under their possession, what's the risk of it going missing ?
basilisk
post Aug 21 2019, 12:55 PM

30 posts

they might have changed the rules. or they make their own rules - kastam + jpj.. so.. its abit more risky now.

before the recent hoohaa. if kastam tahan, u go apply @ jpj, jpj give letter, u claim from kastam. i hv collect those sample docs frm ppl posted online.

if you noe wht hour is bz with arrival, kastam bz.. u less chan kena inspect.
dont put in huge luggage case.
if u can u carry in a tote bag with no visible bulge or round bola shape tht can b seen frm the outside..
then carry another huge luggage case as decoy...

TSJustin.Loong
post Aug 21 2019, 06:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(kshen @ Aug 21 2019, 12:16 PM)
Would like to ask , I'm heading to UK soon and was hoping to buy a helmet.

Let's say I buy then bring through KLIA malaysia through hand carry how's the process like to get It approved? This is for personal use and is ECE certified (confirmed on their web). Or will I be able to pass since it's ECE certified

If kena rampas then go jpj claim, during the time frame whereby the helmet is under their possession, what's the risk of it going missing ?
Maybe ask Royal Malaysian Customs Department? icon_question.gif
1-300-888-500

Because I'm afraid that none of us can really answer you reliably and with confidence. sweat.gif
kshen
post Aug 22 2019, 04:22 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 21 2019, 12:55 PM)
they might have changed the rules. or they make their own rules - kastam + jpj.. so.. its abit more risky now.

before the recent hoohaa. if kastam tahan, u go apply @ jpj, jpj give letter, u claim from kastam. i hv collect those sample docs frm ppl posted online.

if you noe wht hour is bz with arrival, kastam bz.. u less chan kena inspect.
dont put in huge luggage case.
if u can u carry in a tote bag with no visible bulge or round bola shape tht can b seen frm the outside..
then carry another huge luggage case as decoy...
QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Aug 21 2019, 06:27 PM)
Maybe ask Royal Malaysian Customs Department?  icon_question.gif
1-300-888-500

Because I'm afraid that none of us can really answer you reliably and with confidence.  sweat.gif
Dang. Alright. Thanks guys ! There goes my dreams of owning a Ruroc lol
mADmAN
post Aug 22 2019, 04:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

QUOTE(kshen @ Aug 22 2019, 04:22 PM)
i wouldnt bother with the ruroc...u see the reviews online (not from the big motovloggers...but regular owners)... horrible

id only want one if its free... i wouldnt pay that kinda money for that

but they are really cool though.
TSJustin.Loong
post Aug 23 2019, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(kshen @ Aug 22 2019, 04:22 PM)
user posted image
This helmet? Looks ganas! devil.gif drool.gif thumbsup.gif

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to: