Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Self learn programmer

views

TSwhElectrical
post May 18 2019, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I dont think i can do it. furthermore im 40+ already. my coding skill maybe juniorish. i given up.
malleus
post May 18 2019, 09:11 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(whElectrical @ May 18 2019, 09:26 AM)
I dont think i can do it. furthermore im 40+ already. my coding skill maybe juniorish. i given up.
producing desired result in a programming test is often not really sufficient. that's really just the base line for them to continue evaluating further.

critical points are more on, what happens to your program when given unexpected input.

for example, you expect the input to be numbers, what happens if the user inputs an alphabet, or an emoji? does your program catch the invalid input and shows a relevant error message, or does it just crash? and do you write unit tests to handle such input or not, and if the unit tests that you write have 1) sufficient coverage and 2) meaningful coverage

its not just merely programming anymore. programming is merely the act of writing some code that does something. what that's more important is, how you plan how to handle issues when something goes wrong.

What I do find useful before you start on the actual programming task is, to ask yourself, as a user, what can you do to break the program. ie. the infamous "Let's see what happens if I try doing this?" question. then make sure your program is able to catch such problems and handle it accordingly.

Its just like once, I asked a rather basic question, what happens if the user attempts to use an emoji as part of their password. the entire project team just stared at me with their mouth open. then they realized, that they better go and handle such a case and reject the password and prompt the user to enter a new password.

This is not really a programming problem anymore. Its more of being able to think of possible problems, and how to prevent it from happening. Try to dissociate this from programming, then you'll find it a lot easier to handle.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0488sec    2.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st May 2019 - 05:57 PM