4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Self learn programmer

views

SUSwhElectrical
post May 1 2019, 07:36 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
135 posts

Those who came from IT or Computer Science degrees, do you look down on self learned / programmer from different degrees? Like me I learn programming from google only, able to code but some programmer said my code sucks.

This post has been edited by whElectrical: May 1 2019, 07:37 PM
tohtiengchiah
post May 1 2019, 07:46 PM

Getting Started
190 posts

QUOTE(whElectrical @ May 1 2019, 07:36 PM)
Those who came from IT or Computer Science degrees, do you look down on self learned / programmer from different degrees? Like me I learn programming from google only, able to code but some programmer said my code sucks.
What Programming Language did you self learn ? I want to go this direction too but really need discipline to do it successfully.
kelvinfixx
post May 1 2019, 07:49 PM

Regular
1,502 posts

Not look down, but without cs foundation, your code can be sucks.
ReWeR
post May 1 2019, 08:03 PM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

I'm computer science grad, I dun look down on self learner ... actually I respect them, coz they willing to take initiative to learn something new.

I think everyone all start out to be a noob, so dun feel discourage being criticize. I was once a noob programmer and get scold as well.

continue practise and learning and you will be pro. Even you are not working as a programmer, you can consider you are learning a new hobby.

john123x
post May 1 2019, 08:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,850 posts

can we see?
bongah
post May 1 2019, 08:07 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

no, I don't look down on people learning even how to make karipap. I majoring cs during uni time, still learning in my company. You can learn anywhere as long you get proper tutorials
SUSwhElectrical
post May 1 2019, 08:09 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(ReWeR @ May 1 2019, 08:03 PM)
I'm computer science grad, I dun look down on self learner ... actually I respect them, coz they willing to take initiative to learn something new.

I think everyone all start out to be a noob, so dun feel discourage being criticize. I was once a noob programmer and get scold as well.

continue practise and learning and you will be pro. Even you are not working as a programmer, you can consider you are learning a new hobby.
Thank you sir. I wish more people like you. Programming field ia tough cause the tool to use in industry always change so fast. I get discouraged when my colleagues talk about CS terms and I dont have a clue what they mean.
Eventless
post May 2 2019, 07:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,641 posts

A CS degree is not a guarantee that a person's code will not suck. Degree courses only cover basic programming topics. The rest will need to be self learned. It is a continuous learning process. Being able to cope with new stuff is expected.

If a person says your code sucks, ask them why it sucks. This way you can learn how to improve your code.
spilocke
post May 2 2019, 09:30 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

I don't think Leonardo Da Vinci went for art lessons. Self learn usually have more determination than cert based...
tipuism
post May 2 2019, 09:44 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

During the early days of computing in the 80s I got fedup of doing repetitive work every year for audit purposes.

So i picked up a dBase3 book read it and wrote my own code with no prior computer programming knowledge.
the bank did not have an IT dept then.

the programs worked fine and after i left the bank they continued to use it until year 2000 when the programs were rewritten by the IT dept using my templates for y2k compliance purposes.

i did hear from my ex coworkers that the IT dept said that the code was like spaghetti. 🤣
SUSwhElectrical
post May 2 2019, 10:04 AM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(tipuism @ May 2 2019, 09:44 AM)
During the early days of computing in the 80s I got fedup of doing repetitive work every year for audit purposes.

So i picked up a dBase3 book read it and wrote my own code with no prior computer programming knowledge.
the bank did not have an IT dept then.

the programs worked fine and after i left the bank they continued to use it until year 2000 when the programs were rewritten by the IT dept using my templates for y2k compliance purposes.

i did hear from my ex coworkers that the IT dept said that the code was like spaghetti. 🤣
Haha. Wow your story is awesome.
I like to organize my code. So my code isn't spaghetti like.
But I may have writing code in a newbie way. For example, some CS people have mentioned that I code using weird method, while they could've done it differently and more correctly, according to them.
PrawnStarz
post May 2 2019, 10:14 AM

17 posts

Be proud of yourself. Many came from CS/IT can't even code or code properly. The way to construct ur code and whether the piece of code is re-usable is the key. Not All-in-One kind of code. It will make it difficult to maintain and troubleshoot when something is wrong with ur code.

It takes time, practice & experience to make it better and better.

All the best!

This post has been edited by PrawnStarz: May 2 2019, 10:15 AM
ragk
post May 2 2019, 11:37 AM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

Self learner is ok, but 'Languages' doesn't improve ur code standard, its ur practice.
How well ur OPP/ DB structure design, this will decide how far ur program can further develop in the future, reusability, readability, maintainability, resourcing etc.
I would say all these came from experience, i seen many IT graduated with experience still writing terrible code. As long as the code work, they are satisfied, they got no demand on the quality/standard, no intention to create good program, hence terrible code exist. Everyone start with bad code, because u don't know what u know, u just need some self-discipline for demanding better code standard which eventually get u further

This post has been edited by ragk: May 2 2019, 11:40 AM
WongGei
post May 2 2019, 12:52 PM

Regular
1,206 posts

Even those own CS degree have to do self learning for new languages or new platform.
CS degree do give a foundation of CS when come to computer jargon.
Every programmer starts with spaghetti code even you use very high level language.
What you need is write more programs, read more other people code and get more exposure.
Try to ask why your program sucks and find a way to improve it.
When you have time, try to review your own program to see if any places you can improve it, or try to expand/upgrade it to do more things. A good program doesn't only look nice in source code but also include good documentation, maintainability and dependability.
malleus
post May 2 2019, 09:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

I interviewed such a self learner before, and while he didn't make the cut (and not by my decision either), I do believe he did better than quite a number of those who came from a CS background.

It's also true that there are some fundamental mistakes that he has made, and there's definitely room for improvement, its nothing that proper exposure and coaching cannot resolve.

Only reason why he didn't make the cut was because department leadership was in need of somebody more experienced at that time due to project crunch time then.
deyamato
post May 3 2019, 09:06 AM

Casual
418 posts

I was about to open a new topic ask the similiar question,

My current job is doing network infrastructure and hardware related are also self taught about 7 years +/- .

At the moment i am keen to learn C# to enhance myself, but i do not have any background totally zero knowledge about programming.

Can I just join part time classes just like that? is there any requirement in other basic language before i start? smile.gif

This post has been edited by deyamato: May 3 2019, 09:07 AM
cytyler
post May 7 2019, 03:27 PM

Casual
383 posts

maybe u could show some of ur codes so we can give suggestions for improvements.

anakkk
post May 7 2019, 03:32 PM

Regular
1,565 posts

i respect those who can self learn, my course teach programming also, but i totally cannot code. even though it was taught, we have to self learn also, cos whatever shown by the tutor all come from book, some of the tutor might not have working experience also.

code quality comes from guidance and those standard set by companies, what was taught in college will not cover that especially come to huge system.

This post has been edited by anakkk: May 7 2019, 03:34 PM
wiraone
post May 9 2019, 11:36 AM

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

I've saw many self-learn wannabe programmers doing coding, and their codes suck big time. Oh btw, I'm doing SAP and sometime you can see codes like spaghetti churned out by those wannabes. If you're functional consultant, please get help from your technical guys to put in the codes.. please.
pufferfish
post May 9 2019, 11:42 AM

Casual
430 posts

just take(download) some online courses and learn it,follow it through and you will be good, then start writing some simple apps(pet projects)

i feel like if you are non programmers, you actually gain alot from know how to do programming
for example, instead of have to login to a system to get metrics from different pages and compile to a report, just write a application to do exactly that, and you can do something else(learn more coding maybe)

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:49 PM