Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Who are getting Digi 4G+ on Xiaomi Devices?

views

TSSam Leong
post Jan 16 2019, 08:34 PM, updated 3y ago

On my way
560 posts

Who are getting Digi 4G+ on Xiaomi Devices?

I am now using Redmi Note 5 on China Rom, able to support Digi VoLTE but VoWiFi not supported and Digi 4G+ i didn't ever seen .

As i know Redmi Note 5 at KLCC + unifi sim card are able to show out 4G+ (PIC1) , but Digi just show 4G no + (no CA) , Snapdragon 636 should support CA for Digi (intra or inter) confused.gif

I am seeing some users seem to get 4G+ on some Xiaomi Devices confused.gif

I am hope Digi can let the suitable Xiaomi Devices to use Digi 4G+ network

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
zher4883
post Jan 16 2019, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

Not Digi's fault. Xiaomi doesn't have the proper support for intraband CA but only interband CA and sold it as 4G+ phone.

You never get more than what you paid for.

This post has been edited by zher4883: Jan 16 2019, 09:06 PM
prosibu
post Jan 16 2019, 11:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,360 posts

Wait until they relocate 3g spectrum to 4g...
Then u will have more 4g+ (2100+1800) on ur phone...

Btw, mi mix 2s support malaysia 4g+ smile.gif
wild_card_my
post Jan 16 2019, 11:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 16 2019, 09:05 PM)
Not Digi's fault. Xiaomi doesn't have the proper support for intraband CA but only interband CA and sold it as 4G+ phone.

What is inter/intraband CA?

Does this affect the Global versions of Xiaomi phones? Im using MiA2 on Celcom. So far so good, but can't use the internet while I am talking on the phone.
zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 08:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 16 2019, 11:28 PM)
What is inter/intraband CA?

Does this affect the Global versions of Xiaomi phones? Im using MiA2 on Celcom. So far so good, but can't use the internet while I am talking on the phone.
This website did a good job of explaining
http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-...ation-explained

Global Version are also affected or else how could Xiaomi keep their phone prices low?
Surfing while on calls had nothing to do with CA.
wild_card_my
post Jan 17 2019, 10:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 17 2019, 08:34 AM)
This website did a good job of explaining
http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-...ation-explained

Global Version are also affected or else how could Xiaomi keep their phone prices low?
Surfing while on calls had nothing to do with CA.
Okay I read a bit on the site, but I couldn't go on, the first few lines already have industry jargons. I don't blame them, that is on me, I am not in this industry

If I were to upgrade, living in Malaysia, which brand should I get if I want it to be compatible with the fastest network/systems that Celcom has to offer?

zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 11:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 17 2019, 10:40 AM)
Okay I read a bit on the site, but I couldn't go on, the first few lines already have industry jargons. I don't blame them, that is on me, I am not in this industry

If I were to upgrade, living in Malaysia, which brand should I get if I want it to be compatible with the fastest network/systems that Celcom has to offer?
Other than Xiaomi had partial support for the 4G+ and advertised the support heavily, so far all other manufacturers that advertised 4G+ had full support for the carrier aggregation from what I noticed.

There's a lot of backlash from the community to the Xiaomi for the mis-advertising and hence you don't really see them advertise the 4G+ support. There's no specific brand I would recommend because it's unwise to advise on the selection based on this criteria alone. Personally, I would buy the OnePlus phones if 4G+ is a must for me and I am not willing to fork out significant budget to get a flagship grade phone.
wild_card_my
post Jan 17 2019, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 17 2019, 11:01 AM)
Other than Xiaomi had partial support for the 4G+ and advertised the support heavily, so far all other manufacturers that advertised 4G+ had full support for the carrier aggregation from what I noticed.

There's a lot of backlash from the community to the Xiaomi for the mis-advertising and hence you don't really see them advertise the 4G+ support. There's no specific brand I would recommend because it's unwise to advise on the selection based on this criteria alone. Personally, I would buy the OnePlus phones if 4G+ is a must for me and I am not willing to fork out significant budget to get a flagship grade phone.
Okay. In that case, is there something for me to look out for when buying these phone? Based on the phone specs listed on the box as well as posted on GSM Arena, I can look at the phone bands. Are these important to ensure I get the right "bands"? And if those bands are not sufficient to maximize Celcom's 4G capabilities, can I look at other models/brands and try to match them with Celcom?

4G bands

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) - Global
LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - China

This post has been edited by wild_card_my: Jan 17 2019, 11:06 AM
zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 11:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 17 2019, 11:05 AM)
Okay. In that case, is there something for me to look out for when buying these phone? Based on the phone specs listed on the box as well as posted on GSM Arena, I can look at the phone bands. Are these important to ensure I get the right "bands"? And if those bands are not sufficient to maximize Celcom's 4G capabilities, can I look at other models/brands and try to match them with Celcom?

4G bands

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) - Global
LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - China
Band 3/7 is widely used in Malaysia (Digi had rolled out band 8 but not widely used. The major band used is still 3/7)and Unifi Mobile is using 5/38/40 and Yes 4G 20/38/40.
Malaysia will roll out band 28 in 2-3 years time so for the phone after the next, you would need to consider about it.

wild_card_my
post Jan 17 2019, 11:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 17 2019, 11:13 AM)
Band 3/7 is widely used in Malaysia (Digi had rolled out band 8 but not widely used. The major band used is still 3/7)and Unifi Mobile is using 5/38/40 and Yes 4G 20/38/40.
Malaysia will roll out band 28 in 2-3 years time so for the phone after the next, you would need to consider about it.
Where do I find information about which carriers are using which bands? I am primarily concerned about Celcom, but knowing others is ok too.

So I was right in trying to match the phone bands with the carrier bands? Is this the CA thing you were talking about, in that Xiaomi phones are cheap, because they don't afford enough bands...?
zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 12:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 17 2019, 11:27 AM)
Where do I find information about which carriers are using which bands? I am primarily concerned about Celcom, but knowing others is ok too.

So I was right in trying to match the phone bands with the carrier bands? Is this the CA thing you were talking about, in that Xiaomi phones are cheap, because they don't afford enough bands...?
Carrier Aggregation bonds two different slice of network allocation into a single carrier which is known in layman term as 4G+. When you have two different slice on different band, this is called inter-band CA. Same band, intra-band CA. None of Malaysian carrier had enough allocation on a single band so this is out of the question.

Xiaomi kept their phone cost low by only implementing intra-band CA and not both as other manufacturers did. This is nothing hardware related but rather software. They have to pay hefty royalty to enable it in the software and they chose not to.
powerwoot
post Jan 17 2019, 12:49 PM

讨厌的 ubuntu
2,922 posts

My understanding is, band 3 + band 7 will be interband CA, while band 3 + band 3 or band 7 + band 7 is intraband CA and our local telcos don't have that at the moment.
wild_card_my
post Jan 17 2019, 01:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 17 2019, 12:26 PM)
Carrier Aggregation bonds two different slice of network allocation into a single carrier which is known in layman term as 4G+. When you have two different slice on different band, this is called inter-band CA. Same band, intra-band CA. None of Malaysian carrier had enough allocation on a single band so this is out of the question.

Xiaomi kept their phone cost low by only implementing intra-band CA and not both as other manufacturers did. This is nothing hardware related but rather software. They have to pay hefty royalty to enable it in the software and they chose not to.
Ah. I feel poor for using poorman's phone.

>"None of Malaysian carrier had enough allocation on a single band so this is out of the question."

Sorry I don't understand what you meant by "out of question". Do you mean that in general, the Malaysian carriers dont have enough allocation in a single band, in that intra band is out of the question for them? So the only way to go around this is to use inter-band which they are capable of doing/servicing; but doing Inter-band CA would also depend on the customers' phone - of which if my Xiaomi MiA2 does not support inter-band, then I would be out of luck?

If I am right, a follow up: Why do I need a CA? Why not I just use the small spectrum allocated/assigned (?) to my phone at any given moment? Is it to increase my bandwidth?

Another follow up: How do I know which phone implement both inter/intra-band CA? Is it printed on the box? What about on GSM Arena specs list...?
zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 01:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Jan 17 2019, 01:10 PM)
Ah. I feel poor for using poorman's phone.

>"None of Malaysian carrier had enough allocation on a single band so this is out of the question."

Sorry I don't understand what you meant by "out of question". Do you mean that in general, the Malaysian carriers dont have enough allocation in a single band, in that intra band is out of the question for them? So the only way to go around this is to use inter-band which they are capable of doing/servicing; but doing Inter-band CA would also depend on the customers' phone - of which if my Xiaomi MiA2 does not support inter-band, then I would be out of luck?

If I am right, a follow up: Why do I need a CA? Why not I just use the small spectrum allocated/assigned (?) to my phone at any given moment? Is it to increase my bandwidth?

Another follow up: How do I know which phone implement both inter/intra-band CA? Is it printed on the box? What about on GSM Arena specs list...?
For the first part, you understood it correctly.

As for why do you need CA? CA increases the download speed by bonding two spectrum together to form a big fat pipe. You are totally fine for using typical 4G phone which doesn't comes with any CA but to better take advantage of the network especially if you're located in areas with high network utilization (or network congestion), the differences is noticeable.

How do you know the phone comes with full support for CA? You don't. You learnt from experience. Most customers are not a tech enthusiast, they (manufacturer) can't be bothered about this fact and they just omitted it. I got my first hand experience when I bought the Redmi Note 3 Pro which advertised as 4G+ capable but I was surprised I didn't able to take advantage of it in Malaysia. I then did some research and concluded that my phone only had intra-band CA support. Some Indian owners of this phone came out with a detailed investigation and come out with proof that re-affirms my findings. After that, it spread across all the Xiaomi devices which advertised as 4G+ but only had intra-band CA support. After this wider discovery, Xiaomi had never advertised their phone with 4G+ support although they do support intra-band CA.

People will also question since most Chinese owner of this phone are tech geek, why did they not complain about this matter. The answer is intra-band CA was very widely used in China and they are happy about it because it works as they expected (4G+ phone are indeed connecting to a 4G+ network).

If you're interested to learn a little bit more, take your time to read below information:

Intra-band CA is commonly used on TDD LTE frequency bands but quite rare in FDD LTE frequency bands. Inter-band CA is almost every time on a FDD LTE but quite common on TDD LTE bands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands (this gives you an idea which band are TDD and which are FDD)
https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/fdd-vs-tdd/ (Differences between TDD and FDD)

and so this is why you could see devices that only comes with intra-band CA are able to connect to the 4G+ network on Unifi Mobile(Side note: plus Yes 4G if they implement some time soon) but not on any other carrier in Malaysia.

wild_card_my
post Jan 17 2019, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

Wow! Thanks a lot mate. I mean if I am interested to know more, I have to plow through those resources you linked. Will go over them in time. Thanks for the pointers.

I really feel poor usign this MiA2. I can't keep this up. I guess I would just have to upgrade to a flagship. Im thinking a Note 8 soon (still go to keep the costs down). But I would try to ask around for people on those phones on the same network as mine (Celcom) to see if they are able to get that 4G+.
TSSam Leong
post Jan 17 2019, 02:32 PM

On my way
560 posts

QUOTE(prosibu @ Jan 16 2019, 11:05 PM)
Wait until they relocate 3g spectrum to 4g...
Then u will have more 4g+ (2100+1800) on ur phone...

Btw, mi mix 2s support malaysia 4g+ smile.gif
Errm I see on some FB Post with China Beta Rom on Digi 4G+, but only certain area.

TSSam Leong
post Jan 17 2019, 02:33 PM

On my way
560 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Jan 16 2019, 09:05 PM)

How about unifi mobile , running on intraband? Coz i get 4G+ on unifi mobile and my friend did get 4G+ Digi at KLCC and KL Sentral on Redmi Note 5
zher4883
post Jan 17 2019, 03:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(Sam Leong @ Jan 17 2019, 02:33 PM)
How about unifi mobile , running on intraband? Coz i get 4G+ on unifi mobile and my friend did get 4G+ Digi at KLCC and KL Sentral on Redmi Note 5
Could you confirm the band and spectrum width for each carrier component? I would like to learn more about it.
KannaSai1
post Jan 17 2019, 04:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,933 posts

Which model ? Guess guess Attached Image
mun88
post Jan 17 2019, 04:58 PM

Enthusiast
820 posts

QUOTE(Sam Leong @ Jan 17 2019, 02:33 PM)
i also using redmi note 5 with digi can get "LTE+" logo, but internet speed is not 4G+ just normal 4G speed

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.14    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:41 PM