Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Civic Type R ( FD2R )

pillage2001
post Jan 9 2019, 02:19 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Lion Cut @ Jan 9 2019, 02:06 PM)
what more info needed? this old and common car
got money can straight away buy.....plenty of seller in mudah, carlist, online..jsut pick choose
not sure what more can this forum add to ur purchase, other than dragging the conversation with more car option
Am looking for any feedback on this car. Ie: problems, any dos and don'ts, general feedback. I know Honda can be reliable but am sure there are some known kinks that they did not address or something.
pillage2001
post Jan 9 2019, 02:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE(SheepGeeks @ Jan 9 2019, 01:39 PM)
Owner who join forum/group won't stay stock/original. You should try your luck at branded cars dealer like BMW and so on.

Also, I don't think you're serious here. Did a quick search and it do appear https://www.carlist.my/used-cars/2008-honda...eat-car/2731295
Lol..... I don't have the means to maintain a Bimmer or Merz. Well, I do have the means but I don't want to....hence still looking at a Honda.

I did look on Mudah and carlist and saw 3 or 4 listings there but I am sure there are more elsewhere.

Anyhow.thanks for the suggestions.
SheepGeeks
post Jan 9 2019, 02:33 PM

On my way

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 9 2019, 02:24 PM)
Lol..... I don't have the means to maintain a Bimmer or Merz. Well, I do have the means but I don't want to....hence still looking at a Honda.

I did look on Mudah and carlist and saw 3 or 4 listings there but I am sure there are more elsewhere.

Anyhow.thanks for the suggestions.
Read my reply carefully, try to find it at those dealer. They accept trade in and resell, most of the car there are owned by rich owner who enjoy brands instead of mods. There are numbers of rare car remain stock and good condition under their basement for sell.

Also, original type R is consider quite rare in Malaysia because anyone can rebuild a normal fd to type R easily.
McFD2R
post Jan 9 2019, 06:41 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2019, 11:32 AM)
The car you are interested is below 10 years? Anyway prepare a sum of money for these cars for repairs, they tend to be abusived instead of sedated driving.
It seems your definition of abuse may differ from mine. Such cars were made to be "driven". Redlining them are NOT abusive. Abuse is when one don't get regular oil changes. Abuse is when one doesn't slow down on our infamous bad road surfaces. Abuse is when pumping in Ron 95 in them and still want to drive it hard. My cars are loved wub.gif Torco, Millers, Motuls ... Shell V-Power Ron 97 Racing (Red) and Ron 100 when it was launched by Petron. My oils get changes every 4k kms due to my low mileage. And the group of FD2R owners I hand out with, shares the same passion in maintaining their cars in good running condition.

The audacity of someone asking if can tune the k20A to run on Ron 95 ranting.gif It came from Japan ready to run on Ron 100. If you can't even afford the fuel, WTF buy such a car in the first place. Was he expecting 20km/l?

So, perhaps you meant to say, they tend to be driven hard. Abuse would be an overstatement.

As for TS, coming from both versions of it, I can say that the car was flawless. I had the FL because I sold the pre-FL and then had realised I haven't gotten over my own mid-life crisis sweat.gif Both of them gave me no issues despite my mods on it, which includes 6 Pot brakes, racing cams, multiple dyno tunes/runs, Ohlins sussy, HKS intakes, Hasport engine mounts (vibrate like crazy on an already harsh stock sussy initially) .. I miss my FD2R more than my 2015 WRX STI which I sold last year. Still regret selling it ..
6UE5T
post Jan 9 2019, 10:49 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Just buy, if you want a FWD 4 door manual high strung car then probably the FD2R is second to none!
ayamxxx
post Jan 9 2019, 10:58 PM

Getting Started

Just buy ts. But remember this car is a hot car if in a carpark. If u know what i mean
mabaw
post Jan 9 2019, 11:15 PM

Getting Started

my gf is driving one
2 issues she have

ron 97- car was gift bought by her father, the day to day on her. quite painful.
hot car - be prepare to live in constant fear if traveling to unknown place. no such thing as park and leave it tepi jalan

This post has been edited by mabaw: Jan 10 2019, 01:22 PM
Balanced
post Jan 9 2019, 11:29 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(McFD2R @ Jan 9 2019, 06:41 PM)
It seems your definition of abuse may differ from mine. Such cars were made to be "driven". Redlining them are NOT abusive. Abuse is when one don't get regular oil changes. Abuse is when one doesn't slow down on our infamous bad road surfaces. Abuse is when pumping in Ron 95 in them and still want to drive it hard. My cars are loved  wub.gif  Torco, Millers, Motuls ... Shell V-Power Ron 97 Racing (Red) and Ron 100 when it was launched by Petron. My oils get changes every 4k kms due to my low mileage. And the group of FD2R owners I hand out with, shares the same passion in maintaining their cars in good running condition.

The audacity of someone asking if can tune the k20A to run on Ron 95  ranting.gif  It came from Japan ready to run on Ron 100. If you can't even afford the fuel, WTF buy such a car in the first place. Was he expecting 20km/l?

So, perhaps you meant to say, they tend to be driven hard. Abuse would be an overstatement.

As for TS, coming from both versions of it, I can say that the car was flawless. I had the FL because I sold the pre-FL and then had realised I haven't gotten over my own mid-life crisis  sweat.gif Both of them gave me no issues despite my mods on it, which includes 6 Pot brakes, racing cams, multiple dyno tunes/runs, Ohlins sussy, HKS intakes, Hasport engine mounts (vibrate like crazy on an already harsh stock sussy initially) .. I miss my FD2R more than my 2015 WRX STI which I sold last year. Still regret selling it ..
Well, I have been hunting for sporty cars too previously. And from what I have seen, there are some people who wants a sporty car but couldn't actually afford it.
They cannot afford to run good oils. To amplify the effect, they also can't afford to pay the high fuel consumption, hence rarely driving the car.
Bad oil + long non running hours would cause the car to deteriorate faster. And when they do drive it, they will drive it hard.
Bad oil while revving and racing the car is another abuse.

Anyway, the car I was looking at previously were old japanese cars with a sporty engine. Mainly:
Integra type R (K20A type R engine), Civic EK with B18C type R engines, Toyota altezza with 3SGE beams engine, an inspira with EVO X engine, and finally a nissan sentra with SR20VE 20V engine.

I viewed a few, almost all had some kind of trouble with the engine.
pillage2001
post Jan 9 2019, 11:48 PM

Regular

It seems your definition of abuse may differ from mine. Such cars were made to be "driven". Redlining them are NOT abusive. Abuse is when one don't get regular oil changes. Abuse is when one doesn't slow down on our infamous bad road surfaces. Abuse is when pumping in Ron 95 in them and still want to drive it hard. My cars are loved  wub.gif  Torco, Millers, Motuls ... Shell V-Power Ron 97 Racing (Red) and Ron 100 when it was launched by Petron. My oils get changes every 4k kms due to my low mileage. And the group of FD2R owners I hand out with, shares the same passion in maintaining their cars in good running condition.

The audacity of someone asking if can tune the k20A to run on Ron 95  ranting.gif  It came from Japan ready to run on Ron 100. If you can't even afford the fuel, WTF buy such a car in the first place. Was he expecting 20km/l?

As for TS, coming from both versions of it, I can say that the car was flawless. I had the FL because I sold the pre-FL and then had realised I haven't gotten over my own mid-life crisis  sweat.gif Both of them gave me no issues despite my mods on it, which includes 6 Pot brakes, racing cams, multiple dyno tunes/runs, Ohlins sussy, HKS intakes, Hasport engine mounts (vibrate like crazy on an already harsh stock sussy initially) .. I miss my FD2R more than my 2015 WRX STI which I sold last year. Still regret selling it ..
Thanks for the reply....you're right, I am prolly vague with my question when I asked if it was abused. LOL. I am sure people buy the FD2R to be driven like a person out of time . Totally have no issues with that and if they are not redlining the engine, they mind as well settle for a FD2. I've even okie if the previous owner service according to time with Honda oil....but just want to make sure that there's no lapse in periodic maintenance......Actually, I read a few places where people say Ron95 is okie for the engine but given the high compression ratio of the engine, I was wondering why people said it's okie........

I was looking on more if there are any known issues which Honda did not fix and also any habitual maintenance that you guys do. I am not looking to mod the car if I ever get it but to have it as a daily driver to work and what not.

Speaking of which. This question is moot but alot of people complained about the suspension too stiff, as you know, our msian roads are hopeless.....given your track record of cars owned, I am pretty sure you are used to the stiffness, I drive and Accord now, what do you think if I were to move to a FD2R? I had Koni Yellow with Eibach on my Accord before and it was abit too much too take. lol

This post has been edited by pillage2001: Jan 9 2019, 11:49 PM
pillage2001
post Jan 9 2019, 11:59 PM

Regular

QUOTE(mabaw @ Jan 9 2019, 11:15 PM)
my gf is driving one
2 issues she have

ron 97- car was a bought by her father, the day to day on her. quite painful.
hot car - be prepare to live in constant fear if traveling to unknown place. no such thing as park and leave it tepi jalan
Did she complain about the suspension being too stiff and needing a sports bra while driving?

Yup, do understand that the car is a hot item...is it still hot today? It will mostly be driven to familiar places. Would still have another car to drive if I need to go weird places. biggrin.gif
Quazacolt
post Jan 10 2019, 01:01 AM

Riding couple

. My cars are loved  wub.gif  Torco, Millers, Motuls ... Shell V-Power Ron 97 Racing (Red) and Ron 100 when it was launched by Petron. My oils get changes every 4k kms due to my low mileage. And the group of FD2R owners I hand out with, shares the same passion in maintaining their cars in good running condition.

I "love" my vehicles as well however my GT86 mainly runs on RON95
tongue.gif
Whole car runs in Motul products and 300v.
Only recently changing engine oil to Penrite racing 0, but may go back Motul 300v or maybe downgrade to Penrite Enviro + because they discontinued 0w20 racing 0.

Engine Oil change interval at 8k km, will have UOA samples soon as well XD

FC wise, 6 to 8 km/l lol
Same with any RON fuel from 95 to 100 to VPR Red.
mojo1ne
post Jan 10 2019, 05:58 AM

Group: Newbie

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif TO THAT BROTHER!

I started the loving the car scene in the early 90's when i was a student. The "bigger brothers" then had the civic EGs and the EFs even the EDs DXs blew our minds. They had this one liner to tell us "Nak main kereta jgn ckp harga minyak".

Cannot brain y u buy a high comp car and complain about pumping RON97 then go lower the compression. Want to hear the prang only isit? Go download youtube videos of vtec crossovers. whistling.gif

Yeah so buying a really good condition FD2R in Malaysia stock, it will be above rm110k. It's cos the owners know the value of how they take care of the car. You buy a cheaper modded version, be prepared to know the car pumps ron95 all the time and knocking all the way home.

This post has been edited by mojo1ne: Jan 10 2019, 06:01 AM
ayamxxx
post Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jan 10 2019, 01:01 AM)
I "love" my vehicles as well however my GT86 mainly runs on RON95
tongue.gif
Whole car runs in Motul products and 300v.
Only recently changing engine oil to Penrite racing 0, but may go back Motul 300v or maybe downgrade to Penrite Enviro + because they discontinued 0w20 racing 0.

Engine Oil change interval at 8k km, will have UOA samples soon as well XD

FC wise, 6 to 8 km/l lol
Same with any RON fuel from 95 to 100 to VPR Red.
Wonder how u guys have patience with 6-8km/l car.
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 09:07 AM

It will be very difficult to find a good condition one as most owners will not sell it, or expect top dollar for well looked after one. The ones at the used car lot are in terrible appalling condition that’s why they’re “ cheap “ .The FD2R common problems is the wear and tear parts, ball joints, suspension link Rubber bushings. Easily replaced and fixed. Won’t cost as much as a conti, replacing one part of a conti u can restore a Type R wear and tear items including labor 🤣. This car is fast becoming a collectors item and is still abundant in Malaysia
As We used to be one of the few countries to get it outside
Of japan new.

This post has been edited by Fenix98: Jan 10 2019, 09:11 AM
Alternation
post Jan 10 2019, 09:10 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(lil_flank @ Jan 8 2019, 09:26 PM)
Mid life crisis and choose a fd2r type r? Shouldn't u get an axia if encountered mid life crisis?
Bro, mid life crisis is not about lack of money rather realization of what little time we have left to tick the bucket list.
set
post Jan 10 2019, 09:35 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM)
Wonder how u guys have patience with 6-8km/l car.
for the drive, it is not the same.
keyser soze
post Jan 10 2019, 09:37 AM

Getting Started

Also worry some with serious accident and damaged chassis. I known some used car dealer managed to buy totalled loss car from insurance company and fix it back for selling.
Alternation
post Jan 10 2019, 10:08 AM

Enthusiast

Have you considered an mx5? It's has all the appeal. Drop top, fun, speed, good looking and pretty civilised when needed. Any type r is intended to be enjoyed at insane dangerous speed and shrunken balls might speed up ED too lol.
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Alternation @ Jan 10 2019, 10:08 AM)
Have you considered an mx5? It's has all the appeal. Drop top, fun, speed, good looking and pretty civilised when needed. Any type r is intended to be enjoyed at insane dangerous speed and shrunken balls might speed up ED too lol.
LOL 😂 but it feels damn stable at insane speeds.
pillage2001
post Jan 10 2019, 01:38 PM

Regular

QUOTE(Alternation @ Jan 10 2019, 10:08 AM)
Actually I did. I have a friend who's pretty active in the Mx5 community and he was trying to talk me into it but no matter how hard I try....i think it as a girl's car... No offence to those who are driving mx5..... ahah...the new one is pretty nice though but it's way above what I would spend on a 2 door car.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0774sec    6.61    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th January 2019 - 04:35 PM