Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Civic Type R ( FD2R )

views

McFD2R
post Jan 10 2019, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2019, 11:29 PM)
Well, I have been hunting for sporty cars too previously. And from what I have seen, there are some people who wants a sporty car but couldn't actually afford it.
They cannot afford to run good oils. To amplify the effect, they also can't afford to pay the high fuel consumption, hence rarely driving the car.
Bad oil + long non running hours would cause the car to deteriorate faster. And when they do drive it, they will drive it hard.
Bad oil while revving and racing the car is another abuse.

Anyway, the car I was looking at previously were old japanese cars with a sporty engine. Mainly:
Integra type R (K20A type R engine), Civic EK with B18C type R engines, Toyota altezza with 3SGE beams engine, an inspira with EVO X engine, and finally a nissan sentra with SR20VE 20V engine.

I viewed a few, almost all had some kind of trouble with the engine.
It's a sad fact of life. Hence, I cannot comprehend when people ask about fuel consumption of a performance car. Like, hello?

Finding a good condition performance car is hard. They're not available in high nos for you to choose from. You just have to keep searching till you're in luck.

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 9 2019, 11:48 PM)
Thanks for the reply....you're right, I am prolly vague with my question when I asked if it was abused. LOL. I am sure people buy the FD2R to be driven like a person out of time . Totally have no issues with that and if they are not redlining the engine, they mind as well settle for a FD2. I've even okie if the previous owner service according to time with Honda oil....but just want to make sure that there's no lapse in periodic maintenance......Actually, I read a few places where people say Ron95 is okie for the engine but given the high compression ratio of the engine, I was wondering why people said it's okie........

I was looking on more if there are any known issues which Honda did not fix and also any habitual maintenance that you guys do. I am not looking to mod the car if I ever get it but to have it as a daily driver to work and what not.

Speaking of which. This question is moot but alot of people complained about the suspension too stiff,  as you know, our msian roads are hopeless.....given your track record of cars owned, I am pretty sure you are used to the stiffness, I drive and Accord now, what do you think if I were to move to a FD2R? I had Koni Yellow with Eibach on my Accord before and it was abit too much too take. lol
Ron 95 is ok, provided you don't rev it high AT ALL. Open the FD2R fuel lid, and it recommends RON 100. Even my 2015 WRX STI only says RON 98. Says a lot about the K20A requirement on the FD2R.

There were no recalls by Honda nor known issues as far as I know during the course of my ownership. Just expect wear and tears replacement.

Konis have been reknowned for their handling yet subtle stiffness. So, if you already consider it as too much, then you will have an even harder time with the FD2R. The rebound are not harsh like bone shattering, but you will be jumping around in your seat. To put it bluntly, my wife CANNOT type a message on the phone without errors when travelling on a straight stretch of road where there are slight unevenness which is very common in Klang Valley. Anyway, they were always my weekend cars as I prefer an auto during my commute to and from work. Only when I gatal, then I'll drive it to work.

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jan 10 2019, 01:01 AM)
I "love" my vehicles as well however my GT86 mainly runs on RON95
tongue.gif
Whole car runs in Motul products and 300v.
Only recently changing engine oil to Penrite racing 0, but may go back Motul 300v or maybe downgrade to Penrite Enviro + because they discontinued 0w20 racing 0.

Engine Oil change interval at 8k km, will have UOA samples soon as well XD

FC wise, 6 to 8 km/l lol
Same with any RON fuel from 95 to 100 to VPR Red.
GT86 at 6 to 8 km/l? Man, you memang pedal to the metal each time you drive. My FD2R with cams, gave me around 6-7 if I drive it hard constantly and max around 10 if I drive conservatively (which is rare) rclxm9.gif

I have heard and read about the awesome balance of the car. Your verdict?

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM)
Wonder how u guys have patience with 6-8km/l car.
When we buy such cars, we already expect it. Power and low fuel consumption cannot shake hands. If someone wants 15 km/l, don't play with cars. It's people who buy such cars, then only realise they can't afford the fuel that gets my doh.gif
jamespaul
post Jan 10 2019, 04:16 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 8 2019, 01:58 PM)
Anybody still owns one of these or has gotten one lately? am looking to get this as a mid life crisis car. Need some info on known issues, dos and dont's or any other guidance that anyone who has driven this can provide........

Are there any forums out there which I can get info on them?
How old are you anyways? late 30s? or early 40s?
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 04:23 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jan 9 2019, 10:49 PM)
Just buy, if you want a FWD 4 door manual high strung car then probably the FD2R is second to none!
Evo 9 drool.gif

Wrx sti brows.gif brows.gif

9K screamer FD2R icon_idea.gif nod.gif

TSpillage2001
post Jan 10 2019, 04:26 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jamespaul @ Jan 10 2019, 04:16 PM)
How old are you anyways? late 30s? or early 40s?
Late 30s..what up ?
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 04:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 9 2019, 11:48 PM)
Thanks for the reply....you're right, I am prolly vague with my question when I asked if it was abused. LOL. I am sure people buy the FD2R to be driven like a person out of time . Totally have no issues with that and if they are not redlining the engine, they mind as well settle for a FD2. I've even okie if the previous owner service according to time with Honda oil....but just want to make sure that there's no lapse in periodic maintenance......Actually, I read a few places where people say Ron95 is okie for the engine but given the high compression ratio of the engine, I was wondering why people said it's okie........

I was looking on more if there are any known issues which Honda did not fix and also any habitual maintenance that you guys do. I am not looking to mod the car if I ever get it but to have it as a daily driver to work and what not.

Speaking of which. This question is moot but alot of people complained about the suspension too stiff,  as you know, our msian roads are hopeless.....given your track record of cars owned, I am pretty sure you are used to the stiffness, I drive and Accord now, what do you think if I were to move to a FD2R? I had Koni Yellow with Eibach on my Accord before and it was abit too much too take. lol
Ohlins suspension can fix the hardness problem... but 10k++++

Worth every penny in my book.

Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 04:28 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:26 PM)
Late 30s..what up ?
Fd2r no known problems bro. Just usual wear and tear. The problem is the stock suspension which is too hard
Which is track bias. Just change to ohlins... settled.
TSpillage2001
post Jan 10 2019, 04:29 PM

Regular

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:26 PM)
Ohlins suspension can fix the hardness problem... but 10k++++

Worth every penny in my book.
Oh.......shit.......wtf.......10k+++? Siao liao........
TSpillage2001
post Jan 10 2019, 04:30 PM

Regular

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:28 PM)
Fd2r no known problems bro. Just usual wear and tear. The problem is the stock  suspension which is too hard
Which is track bias. Just change to ohlins... settled.
Just saw that the Ohlins cost 10k+++++........ lol......this is nuts...
TSpillage2001
post Jan 10 2019, 04:30 PM

Regular

dupe post

This post has been edited by pillage2001: Jan 10 2019, 04:31 PM
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 04:40 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:30 PM)
Just saw that the Ohlins cost 10k+++++........ lol......this is nuts...
You can go for HKS type IV suspension around 8k

Nice balance also for road and track.but ohlins is better.

Or just go BC racing.... it’s okay la better then stock on road but don’t expect to keep up with the newer cars in corners.
Fenix98
post Jan 10 2019, 04:40 PM

Getting Started

Bc around 3k I believe
Quazacolt
post Jan 11 2019, 02:38 AM

Riding couple

QUOTE(McFD2R @ Jan 10 2019, 02:40 PM)
GT86 at 6 to 8 km/l? Man, you memang pedal to the metal each time you drive. My FD2R with cams, gave me around 6-7 if I drive it hard constantly and max around 10 if I drive conservatively (which is rare)  rclxm9.gif

I have heard and read about the awesome balance of the car. Your verdict?
8 injectors bro what to do.
Once I even driven it dry and ended up towing to the closest petrol station cry.gif
50 liters as per spec with absolutely NO reserve capacity.

It is as the reviews and videos and What not says.
And to an extent, even the exaggeration from MF Ghost (spiritual continuation of Initial D) also holds true.

It's a bit "wasted" on newbie drivers like myself, as it can perform incredibly well in the hands of capable drivers.
But numbers aside, it is simply an absolute bliss to drive a well balanced RWD car that can rival cars with far higher horsepower output especially in b roads/Touge.

Sepang track is a bit difficult with the long back and front straight, but that haven't stop very capable drivers from hitting Sub 2:30 or around that timing which is well within cars that easily have 2 to 3 times or even more horsepower than it's measly 150 to 180 whp 2 Liter NA.
Quazacolt
post Jan 11 2019, 02:40 AM

Riding couple

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:29 PM)
Any decent/worthy modifications for these level of cars are that level of pricing.

Anything less, you're probably better off with stock original.
6UE5T
post Jan 11 2019, 08:08 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Fenix98 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:23 PM)
Evo 9  drool.gif

Wrx sti  brows.gif  brows.gif

9K screamer FD2R  icon_idea.gif  nod.gif
Notice the FWD in my statement, not for all layout. ☺️ Overall I'd personally pick the Evo 9 but the prices now is even more crazy and also more difficult to find
McFD2R
post Jan 11 2019, 09:15 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 10 2019, 04:29 PM)
I truly believe the mods value is in proportion to the car that you want to mod. If one has no funds for quality mods, then they should just stay stock. A stock FD2R is awesome as it is. It's people like us who likes to waste our money that can't seem to stop cry.gif

When we talk about mods, we're suppose to make it better. Fact is, it has to be safe as well. Quality brands comes with good R&D and also better construction process. Brand A and Brand B can get you a lower stance. But the ability to absorb the ever fluctuating road conditions is what makes the difference.

I personally object to performance parts "All Show And No Go" type of mods, unless your car is purely a show car.
TSpillage2001
post Jan 11 2019, 10:01 AM

Regular

QUOTE(McFD2R @ Jan 11 2019, 09:15 AM)
I truly believe the mods value is in proportion to the car that you want to mod. If one has no funds for quality mods, then they should just stay stock. A stock FD2R is awesome as it is. It's people like us who likes to waste our money that can't seem to stop  cry.gif

When we talk about mods, we're suppose to make it better. Fact is, it has to be safe as well. Quality brands comes with good R&D and also better construction process. Brand A and Brand B can get you a lower stance. But the ability to absorb the ever fluctuating road conditions is what makes the difference.

I personally object to performance parts "All Show And No Go" type of mods, unless your car is purely a show car.
I agree.....Intent was to ride stock actually. I had my fair share of horror stories with car mods because I went cheap before.....was poor after graduation...lol.... So i rather stay stock these days as I have too much things to deal with at work and rather have my stuffs stock beyond work. lol...

Thanks for all your feedback. Especially the part for the suspension experience with the wife...lol..not being able to complete a sentence while driving down a stretch of road is bad......how fast were you flying...lol
McFD2R
post Jan 11 2019, 12:13 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 11 2019, 10:01 AM)
Especially the part for the suspension experience with the wife...lol..not being able to complete a sentence while driving down a stretch of road is bad......how fast were you flying...lol
I always tell her the problem is because she holds phone with one hand, and type with another hand using index finger. Whereas I am a 2 handed typist using both thumbs, so I have better control.

Suffice to say, it doesn't necessarily end well for me rclxub.gif speed kills but in a difference context
small-jeff
post Jan 11 2019, 03:39 PM

Regular

do you guys buy sports car (used) with cash?
TSpillage2001
post Jan 11 2019, 03:41 PM

Regular

QUOTE(McFD2R @ Jan 11 2019, 12:13 PM)
I always tell her the problem is because she holds phone with one hand, and type with another hand using index finger. Whereas I am a 2 handed typist using both thumbs, so I have better control.

Suffice to say, it doesn't necessarily end well for me  rclxub.gif speed kills but in a difference context
Oh.....then it would be pretty hard to type la. lol but i hear ya. Lucky you're still here .LOL
Quazacolt
post Jan 11 2019, 10:02 PM

Riding couple

QUOTE(pillage2001 @ Jan 11 2019, 10:01 AM)
how fast were you flying...lol
Despite contrary believe, driving faster would actually stabilize the suspension.

This is because the FD2R and even GT86 tend to run on soft compression (and especially GT86, soft spring rates) with very high rebound.

So if you're going slow and the car constantly compressing and rebounding fighting for grip, it will be a very horrible ride quality/experience.

Once you actually load the suspension by going fast/applying throttle, then the suspension is only on its rebound phase as the compression is stopped via car load.

There are many reasons why people emphasized that these cars are many to drive fast, and this is pretty much one of those reasons.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0760sec    1.70    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th June 2019 - 12:54 AM