Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Feedback on my training pls?

views

TSLionel90
post Dec 24 2018, 11:05 AM, updated 6y ago

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4194214
Been a while since I got any feedback about my training program, so pls feel free to do so.
Couldn't list out how I normally train in a few lines so I would just put the link to my workout journal. blush.gif

Other questions, I used to spend around 1hr30mins per session in the gym prior to my most recent 2 sessions. I train 3 times per week, most of the time even 4, so
A) is 1hr30mins too long (for my way of training, not generally speaking)?
B) suggestion to cut it, hopefully to around 1h
C) my only idea is to pick 2 out of 3 arm exercises in my template for every session, as well as doing only one of Pallof & Plank. But since I don't have arm and/or abs day, would that hinder my progress?

All other feedback are also welcome.

p/s: I haven't stagnated, but I figure getting heads up from time to time would be nice.
Amedion
post Dec 24 2018, 01:55 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

What's your goal?

It seems like you're doing Hypertrophy.
TSLionel90
post Dec 24 2018, 02:38 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Dec 24 2018, 01:55 PM)
What's your goal?

It seems like you're doing Hypertrophy.
Yeah for now I'm focusing on Hypertrophy. My goals are gains!

This post has been edited by Lionel90: Dec 24 2018, 02:38 PM
Amedion
post Dec 24 2018, 03:00 PM

3,377 posts

I think if you wanna go for reps then should focus one muscle group per day otherwise just go compounds or PPL.
TSLionel90
post Dec 24 2018, 03:29 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Dec 24 2018, 03:00 PM)
I think if you wanna go for reps then should focus one muscle group per day otherwise just go compounds or PPL.
But my 'program' is sort of a PPL... Or a PP with a little bit of L in each day... blush.gif
I only throw Face pull to my Push day because I think there's really enough of pulling in my pull day that no way I could churn out quality reps anymore. laugh.gif
Amedion
post Dec 24 2018, 03:57 PM

3,377 posts

Too rojak already. Haha.

Major muscle should focus more to weight cause i doubt u can keep a good form at high reps. Reduce the reps to 8-12.

Small muscle group then can go higher reps.
TSLionel90
post Dec 24 2018, 04:23 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Dec 24 2018, 03:57 PM)
Too rojak already. Haha.

Major muscle should focus more to weight cause i doubt u can keep a good form at high reps. Reduce the reps to 8-12.

Small muscle group then can go higher reps.
Too rojak in what sense though?

Indeed most of the exercise I target for 12reps only - apart from those I would keep getting 15reps or more consistently every workout, which are more isolation movement that I'm not confident I would move up the poundage without sacrificing form. While I have a target no. of reps, I don't just stop when I hit that, I continue to rep out, hence the higher range of reps. And when I move on the next poundage, even the very first rep itself feels heavy and impossible with a good form lol.
axtray
post Dec 26 2018, 06:29 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

IMO, you're focusing too much on higher repetitions. For instance, DB Benchpress at 17.5kg for 18,15,15? The weight is too light and reps too high.

There's a limit to how much the muscle can grow under low load at high reps.

If I were in your situation at the moment, I will

Focus on gaining strength for the main compound movements. For example, the DB Bench press, probably increase the weight by 30-40% and reduce the rep count to 5 for 3 sets. Depending on your weight, I'd work towards getting above or close to 30kg per DB. Once you've reached this, then perhaps can start working towards increasing the reps again to 8-12 (if possible)

Even the isolation I will not exceed 12 for the main sets. Probably 15 on the last set if still have some energy left in the tank.

This post has been edited by axtray: Dec 26 2018, 06:31 PM
TSLionel90
post Dec 26 2018, 10:51 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Dec 26 2018, 06:29 PM)
IMO, you're focusing too much on higher repetitions. For instance, DB Benchpress at 17.5kg for 18,15,15? The weight is too light and reps too high.

There's a limit to how much the muscle can grow under low load at high reps.

If I were in your situation at the moment, I will

Focus on gaining strength for the main compound movements. For example, the DB Bench press, probably increase the weight by 30-40% and reduce the rep count to 5 for 3 sets. Depending on your weight, I'd work towards getting above or close to 30kg per DB. Once you've reached this, then perhaps can start working towards increasing the reps again to 8-12 (if possible)

Even the isolation I will not exceed 12 for the main sets. Probably 15 on the last set if still have some energy left in the tank.
Point taken about going heavier for compound movement where possible. That's also something I have been thinking about.

For isolation I couldn't do as suggested though. Say for lateral raise, while I could get too many reps with 5kg, when I tried to move on to 7.5kg I couldn't move it without using momentum at all, which is why I kept using the same weight and find ways to increase the intensity by increasing the reps as well as cutting the rest time... Any way to go around it without ego lifting?
axtray
post Dec 26 2018, 11:45 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(Lionel90 @ Dec 26 2018, 10:51 PM)
Point taken about going heavier for compound movement where possible. That's also something I have been thinking about.

For isolation I couldn't do as suggested though. Say for lateral raise, while I could get too many reps with 5kg, when I tried to move on to 7.5kg I couldn't move it without using momentum at all, which is why I kept using the same weight and find ways to increase the intensity by increasing the reps as well as cutting the rest time... Any way to go around it without ego lifting?
It's simple really which goes back to my first point. Strengthen your main compound workouts. Which in this case the press. You'll be surprised that your isolation will also increase after you've improved your compound movements.

The easiest way to get stronger with the compounds is to focus more on barbell workouts, as opposed to dbs. But if you don't have access to a gym with barbell, the dbs will do, just that it's not as easy to increase the weight.

Also, using slight momentum is perfectly acceptable when moving to a heavier weight. You can focus on the negatives part of the lift. Slowly you'll be able to do them strict after a while

This post has been edited by axtray: Dec 26 2018, 11:49 PM
TSLionel90
post Dec 27 2018, 12:18 AM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(axtray @ Dec 26 2018, 11:45 PM)
It's simple really which goes back to my first point. Strengthen your main compound workouts. Which in this case the press. You'll be surprised that your isolation will also increase after you've improved your compound movements.

The easiest way to get stronger with the compounds is to focus more on barbell workouts, as opposed to dbs. But if you don't have access to a gym with barbell, the dbs will do, just that it's not as easy to increase the weight.

Also, using slight momentum is perfectly acceptable when moving to a heavier weight. You can focus on the negatives part of the lift. Slowly you'll be able to do them strict after a while
I do have access to barbell at the gym I train at. Also thanks for the reminder of focusing on the negative when using momentum, must have let my stubbornness of maintaining good form takes over that technique... sweat.gif
overfloe
post Dec 27 2018, 10:41 PM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(Lionel90 @ Dec 26 2018, 11:51 PM)

At some point, you really need to push yourself to lift heavier weight. If you can only do 1 rep using the extra weight, so be it. Try again next session until your muscles can adapt. Gradually, your one rep max will be 2 reps.. then 5 reps.. then 8 reps.. etc..

if you keep lifting the same weight for months, your body will be too comfortable with that weight and you will not progress. In your mind, you need to tell your body it can do it and really push it (but in a safe way).

Lets say you cant progress with lateral raises.. then find a way around to strengthen your side delts by using alternative exercises.
TSLionel90
post Dec 27 2018, 11:27 PM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Dec 27 2018, 10:41 PM)
At some point, you really need to push yourself to lift heavier weight. If you can only do 1 rep using the extra weight, so be it. Try again next session until your muscles can adapt. Gradually, your one rep max will be  2 reps.. then 5 reps.. then 8 reps.. etc..

if you keep lifting the same weight for months, your body will be too comfortable with that weight and you will not progress. In your mind, you need to tell your body it can do it and really push it (but in a safe way).

Lets say you cant progress with lateral raises.. then find a way around to strengthen your side delts by using alternative exercises.
Yeah, I understand progressive overload and other methods of keep getting the gains in. I do think that I have probably outgrow the poundage I have been using.

Just back from another training session, and fck, I really am stronger than I think. Could even increase the weight for lateral raise for reps although not with the full ROM. laugh.gif
overfloe
post Dec 28 2018, 07:52 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(Lionel90 @ Dec 28 2018, 12:27 AM)
Yeah, I understand progressive overload and other methods of keep getting the gains in. I do think that I have probably outgrow the poundage I have been using.

Just back from another training session, and fck, I really am stronger than I think. Could even increase the weight for lateral raise for reps although not with the full ROM.  laugh.gif
Probably you need to re-look on your technique as well.
TSLionel90
post Dec 28 2018, 11:03 AM

I lift! Or so I think..
2,239 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Dec 28 2018, 07:52 AM)
Probably you need to re-look on your technique as well.
Technique as in form? I do make sure I do everything in the proper form, which is one of the reasons that I have not added much poundage to my exercise because I care too much about perfect form. laugh.gif Then axtray reminded me that it's acceptable sometimes as long as the eccentric part is under control.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:45 AM