Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home workout with dumbbell and bike, advice needed for beginner

views

TSblitzbullet
post Sep 19 2018, 05:19 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
293 posts

Hello all sifu,

I am a pure beginner in working out, and I havent work out I guess over 10 years. I have the following physique.

H: 183 cm
W: 106 kg

I am recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and been advised by doctor to start working out before they going to decide if I need to start medication. So, the goal is to get healthy and reduce weight. Anyway, I have below equipments to work out at home every morning before going to work. Due to work and commute and family commitments, I dont think an evening work out will work.

1) 3 units of dumbbells - 5kg and 2x15 kg (both adjustable, and same model meaning I can interchange weight between these 2 without problem)
2) 1 unit stationary gym bike
3) Bench

I am currently planning to do the following work out routine.

Workout time: 6.00 am after wake up (no pre workout meal), followed by breakfast (after 30 min) and go to work
Routine: 2 days workout, 1 day rest. At end of month, plan to have 4 days rest instead before reset back to original routine.

Workout plan

I've been reading this ebook as a guide and feeling of following and doing short rep with heavy weights exercises.
Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews

1st - Old plan
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

2nd Plan

Current Plan- I found out after a while that some muscles are being worked too much, while others are lagging. So made few adjustments there.

So, here's the problems or questions I have in mind

1) By doing this, am I covering all the muscles that I need to work out?
2) Is the workout order is good? I mean, if I follow the above sequence, may I overwork the muscles? I will start with light weights for the beginning and slowly will increase the weight in future.
3) I would like to know also, what is the best period to increase the dumbbells weight, for the dumbbel and by how much? Is increasing 1kg each in every month is a good target?

For meal, I still stick to my usual 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). However, I start to calculate and record the calories intake and WILL maintain less intake than the TDDE.

Appreciate all advice given flex.gif

This post has been edited by blitzbullet: Nov 11 2018, 01:43 PM
soulhunter87
post Sep 19 2018, 05:22 PM

Casual
455 posts

include swimming if u can
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 19 2018, 05:24 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(soulhunter87 @ Sep 19 2018, 05:22 PM)
include swimming if u can
sadly not possible. No swimming pool around, and no time too.
daimon
post Sep 19 2018, 10:49 PM

On my way
611 posts

Im not professional tongue.gif

but according to my experience, i think i can give some advises

1) hmm seems not covering all muscles
2) if you are solely depend on dumbells, i don't think it will over work your muscles, otherwise we don't need to go to gym already (throughout my 6 yrs working out experience i never experience overtrain too)
3) if it is too light and you can do more than 15 reps then that is too light for you.

This post has been edited by daimon: Sep 19 2018, 10:51 PM
Kaellis
post Sep 20 2018, 08:31 AM

WTF i'm reading....
1,231 posts

QUOTE(blitzbullet @ Sep 19 2018, 05:19 PM)

2) Is the workout order is good? I mean, if I follow the above sequence, may I overwork the muscles? I will start with light weights for the beginning and slowly will increase the weight in future.
3) I would like to know also, what is the best period to increase the dumbbells weight, for the dumbbel and by how much? Is increasing 1kg each in every month is a good target?

For meal, I still stick to my usual 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). However, I start to calculate and record the calories intake and WILL maintain less intake than the TDDE.

Appreciate all advice given  flex.gif
1)AthleanX is a very good place to start, just do his dumbbell routine and you will be fine

2)30 min to cover all the weights exercise and cardio?

2 set of 10 for 30 min a day wont overwork the muscle unless you do heavy work like construction or walk around all day

3)When you can do the weight relatively easy,

add reps, if still easy,

add set after that add weights

Dumbbell plate is expensive in the long run, also there so much weights the handle can fit nod.gif

and try find some resistance band and try to incorporate that into your routine

keep calculating and record your food intake, thumbsup.gif that is a good plan
don't trust eyeballing the food weight, get a food scale

good luck and stay consistence thumbup.gif
Porie
post Sep 20 2018, 11:19 AM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(blitzbullet @ Sep 19 2018, 05:19 PM)
I plan to do 2 sets of 10 reps of each exercise (name taken from the video)  hmm.gif
1. Curl and Press
2. Crush Grip Goblet Squat
3. Dumbbell Pullover
4. Farmer's Carry
5. Thrusters
6. One Arm Incline Bench Press
7. Swing
8. Tripod One Arm Row

after that, I plan to do HIIT with the gym bike, most likely for 10 to 20 min. Doing 10 seconds sprint, with 10 seconds rest repeatedly. The resistance will be set at hard (climbing).

So, here's the problems or questions I have in mind

Appreciate all advice given  flex.gif
Seems like an OK workout that targets all body parts, you need to make sure that you give your all on those 10 reps. Meaning that on the 10th set of each workout, you would slightly struggle to do it and its hard to hold a conversation after your exercise. If it's too light, you can increase the weight, and progressively overload.

What I would do is I would rate on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest and least struggle while 10 is the hardest of each exercise. If it's 7 or below, I would increase and weight and maintain the same weight if it's 8 or more. I will then aim to decrease the "toughness scale" on my next workout.

As for HIIT, I would suggest doing 15-20 second sprint with 30-40 rest intervals with x5 cycles. Giving your obsolute best, pedal to the medal in those 15-20 second sprint at 80-90% max. If you're not giving your best, then it would considered at HIIT. Please mind that doing steady state cardio (jogging slow) is also a good option to lose calories. HIIT is not a necessary.
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 20 2018, 11:49 AM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(daimon @ Sep 19 2018, 10:49 PM)
thanks for your advice especially on #3. and few people also gave same advice, and I actually never thought that the focus should more on how much I can handle instead on focusing too much on the KGs itself.

QUOTE(Kaellis @ Sep 20 2018, 08:31 AM)
target is to complete everything including cardio in less than an hour. Though I plan to do HIIT cardio to at least 20 min, but I am still too weak, and only managed 10mins for now. But will keep it up icon_rolleyes.gif
thanks a lot for #3, this roughly gave me the rough idea on the progression expectations. I'll have a study on resistance band first. i honestly have no idea what it is for lol tongue.gif

QUOTE(Porie @ Sep 20 2018, 11:19 AM)
thank you very much on the tips. Its my start of 2nd week of workout, I actually didnt managed to complete a full 10 reps without cheating a rest in between. But I also wonder if I do it correctly as I dont really sweat when I did the lifting. I do sweat a lot during HIIT tho. I am thinking that I should focused more on correct form before thinking of adding another set anything else tho.
Will try that HIIT tomorrow. Reason why I plan on HIIT is just to cut time. but 5 cycles seems like a little low?

Any tips for warm up? I did a steady cycling for 5 min and then straight away move to lifting without stretching or anything.
Porie
post Sep 20 2018, 12:04 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(blitzbullet @ Sep 20 2018, 11:49 AM)
thank you very much on the tips. Its my start of 2nd week of workout, I actually didnt managed to complete a full 10 reps without cheating a rest in between. But I also wonder if I do it correctly as I dont really sweat when I did the lifting. I do sweat a lot during HIIT tho. I am thinking that I should focused more on correct form before thinking of adding another set anything else tho.
Will try that HIIT tomorrow. Reason why I plan on HIIT is just to cut time. but 5 cycles seems like a little low?

Any tips for warm up? I did a steady cycling for 5 min and then straight away move to lifting without stretching or anything.
You are correct, you should focus on form first then try to add weights after. Remember that working out is suppose to be challenging, if you are not challenged, you are not giving your all.

For warm up, you can try to search for dynamic stretching, plenty of videos on youtube on how to do, followed by 5 min steady cycling. Stretching is really necessary for joint health.

daimon
post Sep 20 2018, 12:05 PM

On my way
611 posts

i think you can go to gym , dumbbell usually cant satisfied if you are into workout HAHA

TSblitzbullet
post Sep 20 2018, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(Porie @ Sep 20 2018, 12:04 PM)
Thank you very much. That dynamic stretching is another new word to me biggrin.gif
hvk13
post Sep 20 2018, 01:58 PM

Enthusiast
923 posts

You can do more squats and deadlifts. These workouts are really tiring and build alot of strength
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 20 2018, 03:46 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(hvk13 @ Sep 20 2018, 01:58 PM)
You can do more squats and deadlifts. These workouts are really tiring and build alot of strength
thank you for the advice. Yea I think its good idea to add deadlift too. Found multiple dumbbells deadlifts video just now.
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 21 2018, 12:53 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

Ok i take back my words. The 20 sec cycle 40 sec rest is very very intense. Barely able to complete 5 cycles lmao. tongue.gif

Thanks for all the advice. Roughly i now know what I'm going to do for the next few months. Hopefully can sustain this. Already lose my beginner weigh lost about 1kg just in a week.
GameFr3ak
post Sep 21 2018, 02:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,847 posts

You have a bench? And why do one arm incline bench press? That's just odd. Overall, don't think it's a good routine at all. Worst if you have to do EVERYTHING in one session...
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 21 2018, 08:00 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(GameFr3ak @ Sep 21 2018, 02:03 PM)
You have a bench? And why do one arm incline bench press? That's just odd. Overall, don't think it's a good routine at all. Worst if you have to do EVERYTHING in one session...
Hello thanks for the comment. Mind to explain further, and possibly advice what should I add or remove from current plan? Thanks
GameFr3ak
post Sep 21 2018, 09:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,847 posts

QUOTE(blitzbullet @ Sep 21 2018, 08:00 PM)
Hello thanks for the comment. Mind to explain further, and possibly advice what should I add or remove from current plan? Thanks
Get on a legit beginner program. Try googling. It doesn't matter if you don't have the equipment for all exercises, chances are you can substitute with dumbbell equivalent movements.

Come back once you found a program
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 21 2018, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

Please be specific
Being too generic doesnt help.
Kaellis
post Sep 21 2018, 11:05 PM

WTF i'm reading....
1,231 posts

QUOTE(blitzbullet @ Sep 21 2018, 09:35 PM)
Please be specific
Being too generic doesnt help.
Mostly beginner get recommended to do StrongLift/Starting Strength/GSLP in a gym but since you have limited time and only dumbbell its ok to just do what you currently have

Try do doing P90X, try find it in youtube or torrent it

TSblitzbullet
post Sep 22 2018, 08:14 AM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(Kaellis @ Sep 21 2018, 11:05 PM)
Mostly beginner get recommended to do StrongLift/Starting Strength/GSLP in a gym but since you have limited time and only dumbbell its ok to just do what you currently have

Try do doing P90X, try find it in youtube or torrent it
Thank you. Now this is very useful info. From the quick read, I may want to change routine to 1 day workout, 1 day rest instead. I havent read in depth of the exercises tho
TSblitzbullet
post Sep 28 2018, 02:51 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

Ok, after I'm done reading the book (which actually have most of what am I looking for LOL) and multiple online research/youtube, I've come to below conclusion, which I plan not to change (except the weight) till I reach my ideal weight. i also just bought another pair of 15kg Dumbbell (I dont mind investing for equipments which doesnt consume space)

All reps about 6 to 8. Circled number are the sets for each exercise. I've substituted the recommended barbell exercises with dumbbells which targeted the same muscle group (I think). And I do have a bench available.

Warm up and cool down with 5 min of moderate cycling, with dynamic stretching. All weigh exercises using dumbbell whichever applicable. Daily workout within 1 hour.

Routine brows.gif brows.gif

Day 1 (Monday) - shoulder, tricep

Incline bench press (3)
Flat bench press (3)
Close grip bench press (3)
Stand military press (3) - not sure if there is difference between stand and sit. I assume standing will help the core as well?
side lateral raise (3)
Overhead pullover/skullcrusher (3) - not sure if I should do both or either

Day 2 (Tue) - rest

Tabata HIIT Cycling

Day 3 (Wed) - back, core, bicep

Deadlift (6)
One arm row (6)
Bicep Curl (3)
Hammer Curl (3)
Wrist curl (3)
Shrug (3)
Ab crunch (3)
Flat leg raise (3)

Day 4 (Thurs) - rest

Tabata HIIT Cycling

Day 5 (Fri) - Leg

Squat (6)
Romanian Deadlift (3)
Stiff leg deadlift (3)
Lunges (3)
Calf raise (3)

Day 6 (Sat) - rest

Tabata HIIT cycling

Day 7 (Sun) - total rest

I really appreciate all comments especially on: if I have all muscle covered. And also if the workout orders are good? Definitely dont want to have muscle lagging after doing this for few years sweat.gif . Moving on to week 4, I've lost a total of 5 kg already bruce.gif rclxm9.gif . Looking good considering my previous routine done were chaos.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:08 PM