Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Thinkware F200, Thinkware's Latest Entry Level Dashcam

views

TSblurjoey
post Jul 16 2018, 03:01 PM, updated 6y ago

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

Author's Note: The original review is found at jwtech, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews.

Attached Image

Thanks to Sicurez Dashcam Station-Malaysia for providing the newly launched model from Thinkware, the F200. Malaysia is one of the three countries in the world to be the first to pre-launch this F200.

Thinkware product page: F200
Sicurez product page: F200

Technical Specs:
• Processor: Ambarella A12A20
• Sensor: ON Semiconduction CMOS 2.13M
• Viewing angle: 140° viewing angle
• 3-Axis Accelerometer G-Sensor (3D, ±3G)
• Resolution: Front: Full HD (1920x1080P) Rear: HD (1280x720P)
• Support up to 128GB microSD card
• Built-in super capacitor
• Built-in Wi-Fi
• Motion detection parking mode
• Format Free 2.0 Technology
• External GPS Antenna (optional)
• Safety Camera Alert (requires external GPS receiver)

The box
Attached Image Attached Image

Open box

Contents
Attached Image
• F200
• Rear camera
• Rear camera cable
• Hardwire kit
• Thinkware 16GB micro SD card
• Tape mount
• Spare mounting tape
• Cable clips
• Quick start guide
• Customer service information leaflet

F200

Tape mount
Attached Image

Rear camera

Rear camera cable

Hardwire kit

Thinkware 16GB micro SD
Attached Image

Spare mounting tape & cable clips

Quick start guide

Customer service information

Test setup
Attached Image
I will be using 128GB Netac Pro micro SD for the recordings. I’ll also be using the external GPS receiver from Thinkware with the F200.

Initial firmware out of the box
Attached Image
Have updated to v1.01.00 from v1.00.00 with the update to sync date and time with the connected smartphone.

Thinkware Cloud app

Videos
The videos below are recorded in 1920×1080 30fps with an overall bit rate of 11.2 Mb/s for the front camera and in 1280×720 30fps with an overall bit rate of 11.2 Mb/s for the rear camera.

My thoughts
A great improvement over the F100. Videos are much clearer for this entry level dual dashcam from Thinkware. But I wished that Thinkware should have considered 1080p for both front and rear cameras instead of the 720p for the rear camera.

And most importantly is able to sync date and time and update firmware using the Thinkware Cloud app.

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Jul 18 2018, 10:52 AM
earshore
post Jul 21 2018, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

does the lens become yellow if you leave it under the sun?
TSblurjoey
post Jul 21 2018, 07:23 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(earshore @ Jul 21 2018, 03:03 PM)
does the lens become yellow if you leave it under the sun?
Haven't experience it before.
earshore
post Jul 21 2018, 10:46 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jul 21 2018, 07:23 PM)
Haven't experience it before.
okay. thank you. was concerned it would have that faded yellow tint prevalent on old cars.
FollowMeRogerThat
post Mar 18 2019, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
229 posts

Thanks for the review, am checking out your site but meanwhile I would like to seek recommendation for models based on price that I was quoted in my area.. how does F200 compare to iRoad Q7, Q9 and X9?

I was initially looking through for F800 Pro since it's quite highly mentioned in forums but the quoted price is way beyond my budget.

I'm liking the function of F200 that has GPS to warn speed traps. How good/bad was the function based on your experience?
TSblurjoey
post Mar 18 2019, 03:06 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(FollowMeRogerThat @ Mar 18 2019, 02:38 PM)
Thanks for the review, am checking out your site but meanwhile I would like to seek recommendation for models based on price that I was quoted in my area.. how does F200 compare to iRoad Q7, Q9 and X9?

I was initially looking through for F800 Pro since it's quite highly mentioned in forums but the quoted price is way beyond my budget.

I'm liking the function of F200 that has GPS to warn speed traps. How good/bad was the function based on your experience?
F200 is the entry level model. But will need to purchase the GPS module for the speed trap function. But the rear cam is only 720p.

iRoad X series is the latest. Q series is older. I don't think iRoad have the speed trap functions.

Can look at the newer Thinkware X700 mid range as both channels is 1080p. But this has a screen.

FollowMeRogerThat
post Mar 18 2019, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
229 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Mar 18 2019, 03:06 PM)
F200 is the entry level model. But will need to purchase the GPS module for the speed trap function. But the rear cam is only 720p.

iRoad X series is the latest. Q series is older. I don't think iRoad have the speed trap functions.

Can look at the newer Thinkware X700 mid range as both channels is 1080p. But this has a screen.
Thanks Joey.

I have done quite abit of forum readings. It's like the more I know the more I can't decide, since knowing some are good but it's out of my budget.

I was decided on iRoad Q7 for the price quoted vs function until I read that some forumers here or elsewhere mentioned that Thinkware F200 has prompts for speed traps which sounds like a sweet function to have.

Does F200 speed trap function do a beep when close to one or it's voice prompt?

My local workshop did not quote me on X700 but instead F770 for mid range but price quoted 2k++ is not that ideal for me biggrin.gif

bonus questions,

1. how many GB sd card is ideal with plenty of driving through the day and requires recording for overnight parking at home

2. would you lean towards the ones with screen? I thought screen on dashcam is quite extra and I would prefer something more concealed. Maybe you wanna shed some light on purpose of screen?

This post has been edited by FollowMeRogerThat: Mar 18 2019, 04:18 PM
TSblurjoey
post Mar 18 2019, 06:17 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(FollowMeRogerThat @ Mar 18 2019, 04:01 PM)
Thanks Joey.

I have done quite abit of forum readings. It's like the more I know the more I can't decide, since knowing some are good but it's out of my budget.

I was decided on iRoad Q7 for the price quoted vs function until I read that some forumers here or elsewhere mentioned that Thinkware F200 has prompts for speed traps which sounds like a sweet function to have.

Does F200 speed trap function do a beep when close to one or it's voice prompt?

My local workshop did not quote me on X700 but instead F770 for mid range but price quoted 2k++ is not that ideal for me  biggrin.gif

bonus questions,

1. how many GB sd card is ideal with plenty of driving through the day and requires recording for overnight parking at home

2. would you lean towards the ones with screen? I thought screen on dashcam is quite extra and I would prefer something more concealed. Maybe you wanna shed some light on purpose of screen?
It will beep then voice prompt starting from 700m away then again when getting closer.

F770 for rm2k+? Can get F800 Pro for that price. X700 is about rm1.5++

Dual dashcam I prefer to get the 64GB as minimum or 128GB if can.

I prefer discreet more than a screen but sometimes having a screen brings back memories of my 1st dashcam laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

With a screen, there is no wifi and vice-versa. Some prefer to use wifi than using the controls on the screen.

FollowMeRogerThat
post Mar 20 2019, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
229 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Mar 18 2019, 06:17 PM)
It will beep then voice prompt starting from 700m away then again when getting closer.

F770 for rm2k+? Can get F800 Pro for that price. X700 is about rm1.5++

Dual dashcam I prefer to get the 64GB as minimum or 128GB if can.

I prefer discreet more than a screen but sometimes having a screen brings back memories of my 1st dashcam laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

With a screen, there is no wifi and vice-versa. Some prefer to use wifi than using the controls on the screen.
Thanks for info buddy.

No screen for me that's for sure, I would much prefer a discreet dashcam that even does not have notification LED. If it does then I'll have to put a sticker there to hide it biggrin.gif

The pricing is from my local JB workshops so I guess maybe market rosak already here.

Good work btw TS.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.63    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 PM