Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advise on workout improvements

views

overfloe
post Jun 27 2018, 09:11 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

good luck, all the best. but remember, lower down your expectations. build mass for muscle will take years.

you cannot achieve 74kg (with muscles) at 15% body fat with the remaining 8 months.

maybe set a different target like leaning down from 20% (or whatever your bodyfat level is) to 12% in 8 months while gaining newbie muscles. at this point your weight will be around 60-62kg. after that, start to lean bulk (slow progress) to achieve your desired weight. most likely will take another year or two.
helven
post Jun 27 2018, 04:25 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Jun 24 2018, 11:32 PM)
kinda obvious, as i have what they called the love handles, though my belly doesnt bulge

in worse case scenario, if i didnt track macros, if i were to supplement with just protein shakes, is that okay?
yeah just for seated calf raises though, things like barbell curl with 25kg is still beyond me, though i think 18-20kg should be doable with decent rep and sets

yeah but this is the weird part, noticeable there are strength increases but i still dont feel like the strength is proportionate to the body figure (is this normal?)
Time to up my post count tongue.gif

Not okay
- if you have no idea with your food macro
- if you cannot eyeball, guestimate the calories of the food you eat
- if you want optimum effort / progress

Okay
- if you've been tracking for awhile
- if you've weight your food before and know how big of portion is equivalent to how much macro
- if you know how much you eat daily that maintain your current state

Additional info
- protein shake is equivalent chicken / egg / fish / pork / beef / lamb, no where near to any magic powder that helps you gain muscle "fast", but is a form of convenience.

This post has been edited by helven: Jun 27 2018, 04:27 PM
TSmarfccy
post Jun 27 2018, 07:19 PM

Le Ponyland!!!
4,104 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jun 27 2018, 12:25 AM)
Congratulations! All the best bro. smile.gif
QUOTE(overfloe @ Jun 27 2018, 09:11 AM)
good luck, all the best. but remember, lower down your expectations. build mass for muscle will take years.

you cannot achieve 74kg (with muscles) at 15% body fat with the remaining 8 months.

maybe set a different target like leaning down from 20% (or whatever your bodyfat level is) to 12% in 8 months while gaining newbie muscles. at this point your weight will be around 60-62kg. after that, start to lean bulk (slow progress) to achieve your desired weight. most likely will take another year or two.
thanks for the wishes, git gud or die trying

60-62 is pretty light though on my BMI, i have a friend who's about 70kg but hes deemed "skinny" despite being muscular. mass doesnt come easy at all. my expectations are already pretty low laugh.gif the idea is to get enough to the point nobody will ever see me and say skinny.. EVER

QUOTE(helven @ Jun 27 2018, 04:25 PM)
Time to up my post count tongue.gif

Not okay
- if you have no idea with your food macro
- if you cannot eyeball, guestimate the calories of the food you eat
- if you want optimum effort / progress

Okay
- if you've been tracking for awhile
- if you've weight your food before and know how big of portion is equivalent to how much macro
- if you know how much you eat daily that maintain your current state

Additional info
- protein shake is equivalent chicken / egg / fish / pork / beef / lamb, no where near to any magic powder that helps you gain muscle "fast", but is a form of convenience.
im actually eyeballing, cause my mum is pretty intense on family nutrition so most of the time i can never eat much protein when she cooked. shes super into more vege and teeny on the meat portion. only when i cook i can confirm im getting enough protein. there was once i took 4 eggs for one day, she complained im overeating in terms of protein eventhough it was after workout sweat.gif

i was looking on it as a last resort of some sort where if you cant get enough protein (like for cases above) and also to recover muscle strain. its not something to eat all the time, its like what everyone been saying "your body can only absorb as much protein that is required, the rest goes out as poo and is wasted"
overfloe
post Jun 28 2018, 08:49 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Jun 27 2018, 08:19 PM)
thanks for the wishes, git gud or die trying

60-62 is pretty light though on my BMI, i have a friend who's about 70kg but hes deemed "skinny" despite being muscular. mass doesnt come easy at all. my expectations are already pretty low laugh.gif the idea is to get enough to the point nobody will ever see me and say skinny.. EVER
im actually eyeballing, cause my mum is pretty intense on family nutrition so most of the time i can never eat much protein when she cooked. shes super into more vege and teeny on the meat portion. only when i cook i can confirm im getting enough protein. there was once i took 4 eggs for one day, she complained im overeating in terms of protein eventhough it was after workout sweat.gif

i was looking on it as a last resort of some sort where if you cant get enough protein (like for cases above) and also to recover muscle strain. its not something to eat all the time, its like what everyone been saying "your body can only absorb as much protein that is required, the rest goes out as poo and is wasted"
when getting lean, you will shred most of the fat, hence your weight will be reduced. to maintain muscle (to some extent, you can gain newbie muscles), eat enough protein (1.8g per your kg bodyweight). if you can't get enough protein from home cooked food, then by all means whey protein shake is your best friend. but once in a while, try to eat something like quarter grilled chicken at every meal. cook your own if you need to.

dont worry about BMI just yet while cutting. for a skinnyfat person with > 20% bodyfat can even have a normal BMI. the first phase is to get lean (you will shred fat and lose weight). once you reach below 15% bodyfat, then start the second phase, which is lean bulking (approx. 10% calorie surplus). this is where you will start to gain good muscles with not much fat gainz. this is better for long term.

if you bulk now, with your current bodyfat level, you will gain weight yes of course, but mostly it will be made up of fat and water. don't do this brows.gif
TSmarfccy
post Jul 3 2018, 07:13 PM

Le Ponyland!!!
4,104 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Jun 28 2018, 08:49 AM)
when getting lean, you will shred most of the fat, hence your weight will be reduced. to maintain muscle (to some extent, you can gain newbie muscles), eat enough protein (1.8g per your kg bodyweight). if you can't get enough protein from home cooked food, then by all means whey protein shake is your best friend. but once in a while, try to eat something like quarter grilled chicken at every meal. cook your own if you need to.

dont worry about BMI just yet while cutting. for a skinnyfat person with > 20% bodyfat can even have a normal BMI. the first phase is to get lean (you will shred fat and lose weight). once  you reach below 15% bodyfat, then start the second phase, which is lean bulking (approx. 10% calorie surplus). this is where you will start to gain good muscles with not much fat gainz. this is better for long term.

if you bulk now, with your current bodyfat level, you will gain weight yes of course, but mostly it will be made up of fat and water. don't do this  brows.gif
wanted to ask how much does whey help to improve recovery time?

just 2 trips down to gym and im already feeling the pain eventhough im doing lesser but heavier sweat.gif

the muscle strain seems to prolong even if given full one day recovery
Amedion
post Jul 4 2018, 11:10 AM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Jul 3 2018, 07:13 PM)
wanted to ask how much does whey help to improve recovery time?

just 2 trips down to gym and im already feeling the pain eventhough im doing lesser but heavier sweat.gif

the muscle strain seems to prolong even if given full one day recovery
Thats called DOMS.. very normal .. It'll be gone once you get used to that particular exercise..
ariffdude
post Jul 4 2018, 04:33 PM

On my way
628 posts

well, if you really want it that much, Tren harder devil.gif
wongmunkeong
post Jul 4 2018, 04:58 PM

Barista FIRE
Group Icon
Elite
5,572 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Jun 24 2018, 09:20 PM)
hi people, this question may be thrown around like tonnes of time dee but i wanted some feedback for improvements nonetheless

So far whats happening for me is that i started to work out seriously at home since march, using the stronglift 5x5 as base + others that i think would be useful. started out as a skinnyfat 176cm 66kg that time, with last i weigh in being 68+kg now after 4 months-ish. still skinnyfat but at least shoulder and arms more definition now

what i have as weights at home is a 1x5kg fixed weight dumbell and 25kg EZ curl barbell (4x5kg plates, bar estimated at 5kg). this is normally my routine every alternate days in a week. below routine usually finish in 1-1 1/2hrs

barbell lift (25kg), 12,10,8,6,6 (last 2 set 6 rep is failure)
barbell row (25kg), 25,25,25,25
shoulder shrugs (25), 30,30,30
barbell curl (15), 20,18,16,14,14 (25kg curls barely 5reps before break form)
concentration curl (5), 20,20,20
side raise (5), 15,15,15,15
front raise (5), 15,15,15
tricep curl (5), 20,20,20 (sometimes with barbell 15kg)
dumbbell bentover row (5), 25,25,25
squats (25), 15,15,15
sitting calf raise (25), 100,100,100
sit-ups, 10,10,10

once a week add ons
deadlift(25), 25,25,25
push-ups, 10,8,8
plank for 45sec
not sure if my current routine is decent enough to continue onwards until my desired size (lean with emphasis on broad shoulders) and weight (73-75kg). was thinking to achieve that in 9-12 months range but without supplements like protein shake etc. seems like a far cry now though at the rate im progressing as im not doing any counting on my protein+carb intake

what do you think i could improve with my limited equipment? or should i invest further and actually join a gym to hit the heavier weights/better equips?
QUOTE(marfccy @ Jun 26 2018, 08:49 PM)
well 1 year is forcing it laugh.gif

im no celebrity with super trainers but one could dream

sides, im not looking to be big but just enough to the point nobody will ever look at me and say im skinny
"176cm 66kg that time, with last i weigh in being 68+kg now after 4 months-ish."
Congrats!

Good news smile.gif
You, being 25 young and able to recover faster (if rest & nutrition is good enough) - should be able to hit 70-72kg with lean mass (not whale blubber) in several months kua. Just based on my own experience / frame - i'm 178cm & i can, within 6+/- months, swing from 67kg+/- (too busy / hectic to do heavy lifts - just bodyweight plyos) to 71kg+ (with heavy lifts on the basics like deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, cleans & presses).

Bad news sad.gif
Maybe even at 74kg, U'd still look lean with clothes on.

FYI - even at 72kg now (ya, i've focus & time to lift heavy), people still say i'm lanky / skinny tongue.gif. However, looking at the mirror (the best judge, not the weighing scale) with shirt off, can easily see the results - striation of the muscles below the skin & the "3D effect".

If i've 1 suggestion - focus on the big 5s: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench (Incline) Presses, Standing Rows, Shoulder Presses / Clean & Press WITH HEAVY enough INTENSITY (eg. till failure, then strip sets). U should be fried or dead after 20mins to 30mins - it's like sprinting all out (rest between sets ya) VS jogging.
Also,
if U are doing it solo @ home & dont have equipment to "spot" U when U hit failure, i'd suggest dumbells for squats, bench presses, shoulder presses, etc - for safety

Gambate!
Note - i'm no expert but i've been doing HIT before HIT was an in-thing tongue.gif
(HIT = High Intensity Training)
old / senior fart just sharing - no absolute right/wrong in training, most important is doing it notworthy.gif

PS: Nowadays U guys are lucky - YouTube!! Checkout AthleanX - good logical & executable info

This post has been edited by wongmunkeong: Jul 4 2018, 05:00 PM
TSmarfccy
post Jul 4 2018, 07:30 PM

Le Ponyland!!!
4,104 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Jul 4 2018, 11:10 AM)
Thats called DOMS.. very normal ..  It'll be gone once you get used to that particular exercise..
the million dollar question as usual, does more strain = more effort? icon_idea.gif

QUOTE(ariffdude @ Jul 4 2018, 04:33 PM)
well, if you really want it that much, Tren harder  devil.gif
im gonna keep running at it until i get what i want, gym aint cheap mang

QUOTE(wongmunkeong @ Jul 4 2018, 04:58 PM)
"176cm 66kg that time, with last i weigh in being 68+kg now after 4 months-ish."
Congrats!

Good news smile.gif
You, being 25 young and able to recover faster (if rest & nutrition is good enough) - should be able to hit 70-72kg with lean mass (not whale blubber) in several months kua. Just based on my own experience / frame - i'm 178cm & i can, within 6+/- months, swing from 67kg+/- (too busy / hectic to do heavy lifts - just bodyweight plyos) to 71kg+ (with heavy lifts on the basics like deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, cleans & presses).

Bad news sad.gif
Maybe even at 74kg, U'd still look lean with clothes on.

FYI - even at 72kg now (ya, i've focus & time to lift heavy), people still say i'm lanky / skinny tongue.gif. However, looking at the mirror (the best judge, not the weighing scale) with shirt off, can easily see the results - striation of the muscles below the skin & the "3D effect".

If i've 1 suggestion - focus on the big 5s: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench (Incline) Presses, Standing Rows, Shoulder Presses / Clean & Press WITH HEAVY enough INTENSITY (eg. till failure, then strip sets). U should be fried or dead after 20mins to 30mins - it's like sprinting all out (rest between sets ya) VS jogging.
Also,
if U are doing it solo @ home & dont have equipment to "spot" U when U hit failure, i'd suggest dumbells for squats, bench presses, shoulder presses, etc - for safety

Gambate!
Note - i'm no expert but i've been doing HIT before HIT was an in-thing tongue.gif
(HIT = High Intensity Training)
old / senior fart just sharing - no absolute right/wrong in training, most important is doing it notworthy.gif

PS: Nowadays U guys are lucky - YouTube!! Checkout AthleanX - good logical & executable info
dayum, even 74kg cant cut it? shocking.gif cause i saw there was a youtuber who's like 176cm, 76-78kg and he looks pretty defined

yes im focusing on those, those are much simpler to learn and do. my primary aim is shoulder hypertrophy actually, shoulders so broad, make a swimmer feel proud. so far deadlifts have been effing contagious than squats, but it strains the back real bad esp since im doing the romanian deadlift

my HIT is just 5-10min run at treadmill after all the exercise lol, around speed at 12-13.
Amedion
post Jul 4 2018, 09:49 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Jul 4 2018, 07:30 PM)
the million dollar question as usual, does more strain = more effort? icon_idea.gif
im gonna keep running at it until i get what i want, gym aint cheap mang
dayum, even 74kg cant cut it? shocking.gif cause i saw there was a youtuber who's like 176cm, 76-78kg and he looks pretty defined

yes im focusing on those, those are much simpler to learn and do. my primary aim is shoulder hypertrophy actually, shoulders so broad, make a swimmer feel proud. so far deadlifts have been effing contagious than squats, but it strains the back real bad esp since im doing the romanian deadlift

my HIT is just 5-10min run at treadmill after all the exercise lol, around speed at 12-13.
Definitely not.

It's a good indication that you lack of training for that muscle group that have DOMs.

Do more stretching and move more. If you stay idle for too long then will feel the soreness more especially in the morning.
TSmarfccy
post Jul 29 2018, 09:41 PM

Le Ponyland!!!
4,104 posts

QUOTE(cadburypicnic @ Jul 29 2018, 09:31 PM)
Don’t waste time curling biceps right now.

Do squats, rows, pull ups, bench presses for the first 6 months 3 times a week. You will gain size all over very quickly.
havent been curling as much, but its still in the agenda if can squeeze in

as for size, i am seeing improvements from compounds

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0142sec    0.76    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:01 PM