Casual
332 posts

..wrong post

This post has been edited by otnuus: Nov 27 2020, 09:22 AM
otnuus
post Jun 27 2021, 10:50 AM

Casual
332 posts

Did Astro auto sign me up to disney+? My monthly bill went up by RM5 before tax.
otnuus
post Mar 29 2022, 09:00 PM

Casual
332 posts

I’m getting. 4k tv. For Astro Ultra Box, do I have to get HMDI 2.0 cable to watch the UHD channel?
otnuus
post Mar 29 2022, 09:47 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Mar 29 2022, 09:19 PM)
Yes. You'll get a new HDMI cable from the packaging box of the Ultra Box, and you can use that to watch UHD channel/content.
I don’t remember where I put the original cable. I am using 1080p tv so when upgrade to ultra box I just use back the existing cable. Now I am getting 4k tv guess I have to source for a proper HDMI 2.0 cable.
otnuus
post Mar 30 2022, 10:05 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Mar 30 2022, 08:36 AM)
People normally say HDMI 2.0 cable, HDMI 1.4 cable, etc. Actually the HDMI number is not referring to the cable but the specification of HDMI standard. The cable is just cable that carries digital signal. If the cable is not good i.e. can perforn only at lower frequencies, you will have more error. On screen you will see more blank dots (missing data).

Here is a good article to understand more on type of HDMI cable and also HDMI standards:

https://www.tripplite.com/products/hdmi-cable-types
We used to say cable is just cable that carries signal. But the article you link show different cable type with different bandwidth. So HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 cable are not the same?
otnuus
post Mar 30 2022, 10:13 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(suffeylp @ Mar 30 2022, 10:07 AM)
AFAIK, a high-speed HDMI 1.4 cable will do,but i suggest, just get HDMI 2.0 cable
Thanks. Upgraded to ultra box for quite some time but still using 1080p tv. Will test it out when new tv arrived.
otnuus
post Mar 30 2022, 01:13 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Mar 30 2022, 11:30 AM)
I guess it was not clear to you. The HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 is basically the HDMI port spec. The cable is just standard, high speed, etc. To get the full bandwidth of 4K TV, you need to buy Category 3 cable.

So, maybe cheap China made one labelled as HDMI 2.0 cable. Sure it can connect to HDMI 2.0 port but if the cable is just High Speed (Category 2), it will support 4K @ 30Hz refresh rate only. Still not cheating customer.  smile.gif
Something like network cable. Gigabit port plug with low cat ethernet cable only get 100mbps.
otnuus
post Apr 1 2022, 02:32 PM

Casual
332 posts

Just get 4k tv and trying out channel 780 with ultra box. I keep getting SCNA error message. Check the LNB signal is 80 and CNR is 17.9dB. Contacted CS and they want to charge RM65 to dispatch technician to check regardless if problem is with Astro. They can come for free but with condition I have to maintain the service for the next 12 months. Very disappointed.
otnuus
post Apr 1 2022, 03:09 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 1 2022, 02:55 PM)
When did you upgrade to Ultra Box? Is it already more than 1 year?
It has been some time but was using 1080p TV so I never tested if it was working before. CS say out of warranty.
otnuus
post Apr 1 2022, 03:51 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 1 2022, 03:44 PM)
Then too bad, it's bad news for you.
Either you pay RM65 or extend contract 1 year to watch Astro UHD channel via satellite dish.

Or, perform Restore Factory Settings and change to Plug & Play mode if you really want to see how Astro UHD channel look like. Of course, you can change it back to satellite mode again anytime you want.
I did restore but choose satellite mode. What is Plug and Play mode?

Update: Tried Plug & play mode. I can watch channel 780. But from time to time the center red circle comes up, maybe buffering even though video is still playing.

This post has been edited by otnuus: Apr 1 2022, 05:33 PM
otnuus
post Apr 1 2022, 07:37 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(weareblahs @ Apr 1 2022, 06:21 PM)
Minimum 30Mbps internet connection is required to watch UHD content, according to Astro. Maybe you should do a speed check on the Ultra Box, and in the settings, go to "Network Diagnostics" (or something like that). Then see the Internet speed part. As Ultra Box's speed test is (kinda) inaccurate, speeds above 25Mbps is already enough for this case.

If your internet is smooth and still buffers, then the problem is at Astro's side.
I am using unifi 300Mbps package. I remember Astro decoder speed is always on the low side.

QUOTE(cdspins @ Apr 1 2022, 06:30 PM)
Another way to check if you can play 4k streams smoothly is to open some of the 4k movies from the library. Is the red buffering circle appears? If yes, have you try connecting through LAN instead of wifi?
Ultra Box has 4 x AC streams. Maybe next time I will directly connect with LAN cable.
Well, at least I know I can play 4k Channel on my TV. I guess safe to say Ultra Box, HDMI cable and TV are working. I have restore back to satellite mode. Tomorrow morning Astro installer is coming.

otnuus
post Apr 2 2022, 09:42 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 2 2022, 12:07 AM)
Intermittent loading cursor appears when you're on Plug & Play mode, especially when watching Astro UHD 780 channel? Relax.  cool2.gif
That is a known issue to tech person like me, and pretty much every Astro installers and technicians out there. However for Astro's software/networking team, it appears to be just a "small issue" for them.
If you ask them "When can they solve this "small issue"? They'll likely tell you "There's no turnaround time for that" or "If things were that simple, we could have solve it way before you even realise that issue exists." 

Read my previous posts here to know more:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=103901950
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=103920546

Don't be surprised even if you connect LAN cable directly from router to the Ultra Box, and the intermittent buffering issue still persist.
Really, the "small issue" is somewhere from Astro's streaming servers, not you.
If you can't tolerate that even a little buffering when watching Astro, then better use satellite dish to watch Astro instead.
So it seems this is a "feature" from plug n play mode. Could be the content server side or the STB buffering/processing limitation.
Anyway, happy to report that my issue is fixed. Installer replaced the old dual output LNB and channel 780 is working now.
otnuus
post Apr 2 2022, 09:59 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Dec 16 2019, 06:09 PM)
They might and can do it someday, but not soon cuz there are HD box users out there that doesn't subscribe to HD yet.

Astro IPTV customers no longer able to access SD simulcast channels. It doesn't appear on their channel list anymore, and it's has been quite some time.

The satellite dish that you install at ur home now, what's the LNB type? Last time you used to have HD box or PVR box? 1 cable or 2 cables connects to the satellite dish?

Press home>Settings>Installation Settings>Satellite Settings>LNB Setup
Make sure the Input Type is selected correctly based on the LNB type that you've connected to your satellite dish.
If you're using Ultra Box and it's connected to the conventional Universal LNB or dCSS LNB, select "dCSS" option (If you're using the SatCR LNB, then select "SatCR" option). then keep press Next Next Next Finish. You should be able to get signals now on all SD and HD channels.

However, if you're using Universal LNB (doesn't matter single, dual or quad output types like previously used in PVR box) , you're unable to watch UHD channels as it won't be getting satellite signal (it shows Services currently not available), because you're using the legacy LNB. So in that case now, you must replace your LNB to the DCSS type.

Yes it's true. But if the Input Type setting is set to DCSS and you're using Universal LNB, it'll still be able to receive signal for SD and HD channels without issues, but except UHD channels. It is partially backward compatible with Universal LNB. I know cuz I tried before already.

Technically, it can't get signal from High range Ku band frequencies (12.2-12.75GHz) when Input Type setting is set to DCSS while you connect to a Universal LNB. But low range ones (10.7-11.7GHz) which is the frequencies for all SD and HD channels now, are able to receive without any compatibility issue, everything works like normal.

DCSS LNB are supposed to be provided for free by Astro upon installation. Maybe you can look at online shopping sites to see which seller got sell Astro dCSS LNB.

So this was my issue. Previously when the installer come to upgrade PVR to Ultra Box, they did not change the dual output LNB.
What is DCSS? and what is the difference of this DCSS LNB and the previous one? Is it just the LO freq changed? I look at some photo dcss LNB LO is 10.4GHz. I remember the old one they have 9.75GHz and 10.0GHz. Is it because UHD channel is on higher frequency band and after go thru old LNB is still out of range for ultra box L-band?

otnuus
post Apr 2 2022, 06:14 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 2 2022, 04:28 PM)
If you ask Astro, they'll say cannot because their TnC says so.

But if you ask me, technically yes you can.
As long that another house has Astro dish installed, it will still work even if you *cough* *cough* install it at another house.
Just don't let Astro know that you do that lah.  sweat.gif
You are very knowledgeable on Astro. Are you in the industry?
I have Astro installer friends back in my hometown so I know a bit of their tricks. Last time second set decoder promotion, I have main set in hometown and bring second set and dish install in KL.
otnuus
post Apr 2 2022, 10:27 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 2 2022, 07:11 PM)
That one I don't know. But technically it may be possible if they want to, but whether are they that free to do such things, that one I don't know...  hmm.gif
If you're worried of getting traced through Internet, disable the WiFi on the Astro box, don't connect the box to the Internet even if it's LAN cable. Use satellite dish to watch Astro linear TV channels only.
Better yet, avoid Internet connected boxes like Ulti Box or Ultra Box if possible. If you can use Astro's HD zapper box (that doesn't have Internet connection one), then it'll be better.
But Astro nowadays only offers Ulti Box and Ultra Box, so hmmmm...  hmm.gif
There is way to do it even if Astro check your IP location provided your registered address has internet connection. Setup a VPN tunnel between the two places and route your PnP decoder over the VPN tunnel. This way your PnP decoder will appear to use your main location public IP. But there throughout will be limited by the main location uplink speed.
This is the way for Astro on the go to work when you are out of country. Dial in to home VPN to beat the geolocation block.
otnuus
post Apr 3 2022, 12:03 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 2 2022, 11:08 PM)
You try first, then let us know the outcome.
I have try Astro on the go out of country this way. But that was couple of years ago before pandemic. It definitely works.
otnuus
post Apr 4 2022, 04:14 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Leong Dei Prince @ Apr 4 2022, 02:54 PM)
Brought my ultrabox back to hometown, it cant be watch  sad.gif 
Previously can, but not now anymore.....haihz
I guess astro update some setting on the ultrabox
Using internet plug n play mode? Like mentioned in last few posts, they probably check your device public ip to get a rough estimation of its current location and compared to your registered address. If it is different region then block your access. Just speculation, not knowing what actual mechanism they use.
otnuus
post Apr 5 2022, 05:58 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 5 2022, 05:23 PM)
Just blank screen no audio?
Then I think that's software related issues...

Also, before u bring back the box to hometown, set the Display Resolution on your Ultra Box as 1080i or 1080p first.
You try again this weekend, and let us know the outcome.
Question regarding Ultra Box output resolution. If I set to Auto, all channels are output with 4k resolution. Even low res channel are upscale by the box. Is it correct behavior? I thought want to let ultra box send variable resolution according to different channels and let tv do the upscaling. Looks like this is not possible.
otnuus
post Apr 5 2022, 10:28 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 5 2022, 10:14 PM)
I thought want to let ultra box send variable resolution according to different channels
Errr no.. Ultra Box won't do such thing one.
Whatever picture resolution upscaling job, should be carried out on your TV, not from Ultra Box.

For Ultra Box's end, even if it output as 2160p, that doesn't automatically means it will "enhance" the picture quality of Astro's HD channels.
If you notice the picture quality is somewhat "enhanced" or "look very different" when you set the output resolution from your TV in either 1080p or 2160p, then that is your TV doing the upscaling or picture enhancement job, not the Ultra Box.
For UHD channels, Astro uses Dolby Digital Plus audio codec (E-AC3), not AC4.
Do you mean ultra box passthrough hdmi aspect/resolution? Then what is the settings auto, 720p, 1080i and 1080p for in the box?
In tv, I can check the feed info. Initially I set ultra box to 2160p , all channels info appears to be 2160p. Then I change to Auto and still get the same result. Later I change to 1080i, all channels info on tv show 1080i including channel 780.
I expect to see 2160p for UHD, 1080i for HD and 720p for SD channels.

This post has been edited by otnuus: Apr 5 2022, 10:35 PM
otnuus
post Apr 6 2022, 04:13 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 6 2022, 01:36 AM)
I expect to see 2160p for UHD, 1080i for HD and 720p for SD channels.
No. It won't keep changing resolution like that.

Later I change to 1080i, all channels info on tv show 1080i including channel 780.
This equals to, manual forcing the Ultra Box to output the resolution as 1080i even though you are watching Astro UHD channel. Get what I mean?

If you manually set the display resolution on Ultra Box as 2160p, then the Ultra Box will output the resolution as 2160p all the time, regardless of the quality of the channel/content.
Basically, if you set 2160p on Ultra Box, it is like manual forcing the Ultra Box to output as 2160p even you're actually watching SD channel.

Meanwhile the main purpose for "Auto" is the Ultra Box will detect on what are maximum display resolutions supported by your TV (through EDID).
Example if it detects that your TV supports up to 1080i resolution only, then the "Auto" setting will help you choose 1080i as the maximum default. Same story applies if your TV supports 2160p.

In conclusion: Just leave it as "Auto" will do. Ultra/Ulti Box will decides itself on the best resolution possible supported by your TV.
Those 2160p, 1080p, 1080i, 720p setting is meant for those who want to manual force the display resolution (for some reasons) from Ultra/Ulti Box only. And Ultra Box itself certainly does not do any picture upscaling/downscaling job.
When I set ultra box resolution to Auto, it detect my tv resolution correctly. All channels in my TV video feed info shows 2160p. How ultra box send 2160p from SD/HD channel if it does not perform upscaling? I suppose ultra box upscale everything to this resolution before send to TV.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0417sec    0.19    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th August 2022 - 05:49 AM