Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Best streaming service for Live TV / Sports in HD, IPTV, Astro Alternative, Setup

views

TSpbilly
post Mar 25 2018, 08:25 PM, updated 7y ago

1 posts

Hello all

used to have Time Fibre and Astro IPTV for the past years and now moving into an area where there is no TIME coverage unfortunately. So have to change broadband provider (either TM or Maxis). Astro wants to enslave me with another 24 months subscription (!!) even though I have been a loyal customer so long - so I am thinking to finally cut the cord on them, but I need alternatives. Only reasons for Astro for me was Live Sports (Bundesliga on Fox, Premier League, Olympics and this year Football WorldCup is coming up!). Movies / TV series I do not need Astro for I am willing to change to a paid subscription for streaming (Netflix, Amazon).

My questions:

1. Does anyone have Astro IPTV together with TM Unifi? Or is this not possible (as Unifi comes with HyppTV) and I have to use Maxis? I was lookign to get at least 50MBit/s download.
2. What is a recommended solution for streaming live sport events in high quality in terms of hardware (Android TV box, or the likes of Roku, Chromecast etc.) and software (Streaming service app) at a good cost? Also if I want to watch 4K content for movies / TV series?
3. I prefer a plug & play solution that works stable & sustainable and does not require much knowledge about networks, programming or special knowledge about VPN setups.

I tested over the past days a streaming solution from a friend
- Hardware: Himedia Q3 (I know very old but for testing ok)
- Software: CloudTV was pre-loaded, seems a China App but with subscription has about 400 channels.

The movie / TV series look very good & fluent in HD. But the Sports Channels picture is not as brilliant, clear and fluent as the Astro HD picture. Especially football match and F1 seems to have less frames / s and makes the viewing not so nice. Not sure if this is my low bandwith or the old hardware, but as I said movies look very good in HD.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Thanks

This post has been edited by pbilly: Mar 25 2018, 08:32 PM
izzudrecoba
post Mar 26 2018, 10:39 AM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(pbilly @ Mar 25 2018, 08:25 PM)
Hello all

used to have Time Fibre and Astro IPTV for the past years and now moving into an area where there is no TIME coverage unfortunately. So have to change broadband provider (either TM or Maxis). Astro wants to enslave me with another 24 months subscription (!!) even though I have been a loyal customer so long - so I am thinking to finally cut the cord on them, but I need alternatives. Only reasons for Astro for me was Live Sports (Bundesliga on Fox, Premier League, Olympics and this year Football WorldCup is coming up!). Movies / TV series I do not need Astro for I am willing to change to a paid subscription for streaming (Netflix, Amazon).

My questions:

1. Does anyone have Astro IPTV together with TM Unifi? Or is this not possible (as Unifi comes with HyppTV) and I have to use Maxis? I was lookign to get at least 50MBit/s download.
2. What is a recommended solution for streaming live sport events in high quality in terms of hardware (Android TV box, or the likes of Roku, Chromecast etc.) and software (Streaming service app) at a good cost? Also if I want to watch 4K content for movies / TV series?
3. I prefer a plug & play solution that works stable & sustainable and does not require much knowledge about networks, programming or special knowledge about VPN setups.

- Software: CloudTV was pre-loaded, seems a China App but with subscription has about 400 channels.

The movie / TV series look very good & fluent in HD. But the Sports Channels picture is not as brilliant, clear and fluent as the Astro HD picture. Especially football match and F1  seems to have less frames / s and makes the viewing not so nice. Not sure if this is my low bandwith or the old hardware, but as I said movies look very good in HD.

Thanks
Hi pbilly,

What is a recommended solution for streaming live sport events in high quality in terms of hardware (Android TV box, or the likes of Roku, Chromecast etc.) and software (Streaming service app) at a good cost? Also if I want to watch 4K content for movies / TV series?

Answer:

Live sports - Directvnow
Device - Roku
4K content for movies / tv series - Only Netflix 4k UHD & Amazon Prime

All these can be purchased online from our website izzudrecoba.com
AVFAN
post Mar 26 2018, 11:51 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,036 posts

QUOTE(pbilly @ Mar 25 2018, 08:25 PM)
Hello all
My questions:
The movie / TV series look very good & fluent in HD. But the Sports Channels picture is not as brilliant, clear and fluent as the Astro HD picture. Especially football match and F1  seems to have less frames / s and makes the viewing not so nice. Not sure if this is my low bandwith or the old hardware, but as I said movies look very good in HD.
Thanks
unifi does not offer astro iptiv.
u can check if u can dump unifi and change to maxis which does astro iptv - possible in most areas.

u r used to astro and primarily watch live sports.
the simplest and cheapest solution for yr case is to get a mibox (make sure u get the right one).
u use astrogo, an app... but u must have id/pw from a subscriber - u get what he gets.
astrogo used to be crap but has improved - many channels in HD now.
read, ask mibox users here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3561305/+2360
or ask general box questions here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4200167/+2980
yr old q3 cannot run astrogo, forget it.
there are other boxes that can do that too but will cost more, some a lot more.
of course, these boxes can do more than just one app.

cloudtv is pretty good, been around for a long time.. but the subscription is too high, imo.
u can try other interesting/good apps as discussed by users here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3115619/+640

if new to such things, a new world is waiting 4 u.
if u have 30mbps or higher, u can get a lot of good stuff without paying or paying too much.
of course, if u do not want to get hands dirty, no time... u pay.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Mar 26 2018, 12:04 PM
TSpbilly
post Mar 26 2018, 09:19 PM

1 posts

Hello AV Fan

thanks for the comprehensive reply. May I put some comments / questions:

1. Yes Maxis is available in that area. I was thinking Unifi as they have promotion and their 50 MBit is currently cheaper (189RM per month) than Maxis 50 MBit (219RM). Unfortunately do not have TIME available in that area, their 500Mbit is even cheaper!
2. So I was thinking going TM Unifi and use an Android Box instead. Some users recommended Minix U9H, you recommend Mibox and use Astro Go on them instead of an Astro Decoder. The question is: is the quality of the HD picture uninterrupted and "fluent" like watching Astro IPT with an Astro Decoder. I assume not, I am no expert and somehow in Astro Decoder they alway allocate a certain bandwidth to ensure sutainable TV. I found this other thread here replied by you https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4405774/all where it also does not seem to be the same quality
3. I still found an existing sattelite dish on the roof of the house I bought. brows.gif Not sure though how this old school technology works with HD and how much it costs
4. Will definetely get a new Android Box and replace the Q3 (was just to get to know the stremaing topic). The question for me is just: do I use it in parallel to the Astro Decoder or do I do all-in-one with Astro Go.

For the All-in-one solution I see following pros & cons:

+ only one device for all
+ cheaper

- might be lower quality than Astro Decoder and less reliable
AVFAN
post Mar 26 2018, 09:41 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,036 posts

QUOTE(pbilly @ Mar 26 2018, 09:19 PM)
Hello AV Fan

thanks for the comprehensive reply. May I put some comments / questions:

1. Yes Maxis is available in that area. I was thinking Unifi as they have promotion and their 50 MBit is currently cheaper (189RM per month) than Maxis 50 MBit (219RM). Unfortunately do not have TIME available in that area, their 500Mbit is even cheaper!
2. So I was thinking going TM Unifi and use an Android Box instead. Some users recommended Minix U9H, you recommend Mibox and use Astro Go on them instead of an Astro Decoder. The question is: is the quality of the HD picture uninterrupted and "fluent" like watching Astro IPT with an Astro Decoder. I assume not, I am no expert and somehow in Astro Decoder they alway allocate a certain bandwidth to ensure sutainable TV. I found this other thread here replied by you https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4405774/all where it also does not seem to be the same quality
3. I still found an existing sattelite dish on the roof of the house I bought.  brows.gif Not sure though how this old school technology works with HD and how much it costs
4. Will definetely get a new Android Box and replace the Q3 (was just to get to know the stremaing topic). The question for me is just: do I use it in parallel to the Astro Decoder or do I do all-in-one with Astro Go.

For the All-in-one solution I see following pros & cons:
+ only one device for all
+ cheaper
- might be lower quality than Astro Decoder and less reliable
firstly, u can't have it all.

that link is obsolete... astrogo quality is much better now.
stable, pretty reliable for the most part and foc.
obviously video quality not as good as the decoder thingy where u pay $.
like i already said, u want the best stuff, u pay.

minix u9h is x2 the price of a mibox like i already said too.... so u can decide.
if u are committed to this kind of streaming, u9h is a better choice as it can do more for u in the long run.
if u r half hearted or decide to try a cheap one first, mibox will serve that purpose.
having said that, i do not use either of them but something else which will not suit yr needs.

astrogo, i have it on my smart tv - if u r changing tv and want astrogo, look for sony's and sharp's that run on androidtv opsys.
other tv's on other opsys will not work.

TSpbilly
post Mar 26 2018, 10:22 PM

1 posts

Yup you are right - you can't have it all. And do not get me wrong, I am willing to pay for good service. However the way how @stro is just treating me currently as a long term customer makes me really angry:

- I want 50MBit or 100MBit connection, but they force me "If you want Astro we package with Maxis and give you only 30 MBit" --> so they not only have the monopoly on the TV but also dictate what Broadband I have to take!! I currently have 100MBit with TIME and they want to give me for the same price 10MBit with Maxis, this is ridiculous
- the tone in their emails i very rude, they write to me "If you refuse to follow our advise, we will downgrade ... bla bla bla" not how you treat a loyal customer

So most likely I will do this:
- TM Unifi with Hypp TV has FOX --> I can watch Formula 1 and German Bundesliga , quality should be ok (as you replied to me in your other thread)
- for the upcoming world cup I will try a streaming option, and my fall back option is go to the Mamak and make some new friends smile.gif

P.S.: Or do this https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018...-world-cup-too/

This post has been edited by pbilly: Mar 26 2018, 11:01 PM
AVFAN
post Mar 27 2018, 01:03 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,036 posts

QUOTE(pbilly @ Mar 26 2018, 10:22 PM)
Yup you are right - you can't have it all. And do not get me wrong, I am willing to pay for good service. However the way how @stro is just treating me currently as a long term customer makes me really angry:
- I want 50MBit or 100MBit connection, but they force me "If you want Astro we package with Maxis and give you only 30 MBit" --> so they not only have the monopoly on the TV but also dictate what Broadband I have to take!! I currently have 100MBit with TIME and they want to give me for the same price 10MBit with Maxis, this is ridiculous
- the tone in their emails i very rude, they write to me "If you refuse to follow our advise, we will downgrade ... bla bla bla" not how you treat a loyal customer
So most likely I will do this:
- TM Unifi with Hypp TV has FOX --> I can watch Formula 1 and German Bundesliga , quality should be ok (as you replied to me in your other thread)
- for the upcoming world cup I will try a streaming option, and my fall back option is go to the Mamak and make some new friends smile.gif
P.S.: Or do this https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018...-world-cup-too/
i can understand yr frustration... i dumped them many years ago.

the thing is while there is no direct replacement, there are many alternatives - be it live sports or movies or tv shows.

your idea is a fine one. just make sure when u go unifi, ask for jumbo pack which has all the sports channels.

it will cost u rm30 more compared to the cheaper jumbo lite or some other base pack.

as for yr old box, unless it is in bad shape, it should be able to do some of the apps mentioned in the "online apps" thread.

try couple of them!

hellfire_my
post Mar 27 2018, 01:24 PM

On my way
540 posts

Want clear true HD picture, lag free, 0 problem free. Best is still satellite tv service such as Axxtrok.

This post has been edited by hellfire_my: Mar 27 2018, 01:24 PM
GrandElf
post May 22 2018, 06:13 PM

HyunA
1,146 posts

Just want to ask since WorldCup is coming, what are the alternative source that're recommended to watch it without any lagging?
izzudrecoba
post Jun 10 2018, 12:08 PM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(GrandElf @ May 22 2018, 06:13 PM)
Just want to ask since WorldCup is coming, what are the alternative source that're recommended to watch it without any lagging?
FOX Sports Go on directvnow or sling tv blue.
Scissorshand
post Jun 10 2018, 04:47 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

QUOTE(izzudrecoba @ Jun 10 2018, 12:08 PM)
FOX Sports Go on directvnow or sling tv blue.
Directvnow needs vpn? is it in 480p? your website doesn't say anything

Does it come with one week trial?
izzudrecoba
post Jun 11 2018, 06:36 AM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Jun 10 2018, 04:47 PM)
Directvnow needs vpn? is it in 480p? your website doesn't say anything

Does it come with one week trial?
Directvnow needs vpn?
yes or dns

is it in 480p?
full HD 1080p

Scissorshand
post Jun 11 2018, 07:30 AM

Regular
1,516 posts

QUOTE(izzudrecoba @ Jun 11 2018, 06:36 AM)
Directvnow needs vpn?
yes or dns

is it in 480p?
full HD 1080p
You mean Google dns or otherwise?

The apk suitable for Android boxes or require mode to navigate?

This post has been edited by Scissorshand: Jun 11 2018, 07:33 AM
izzudrecoba
post Jun 11 2018, 09:01 AM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Jun 11 2018, 07:30 AM)

Otherwise. No free dns. You need to subscribe (example: smartdnsproxy, expressvpn)

Please check on your device if directnow apk is available or not.

Watch DIRECTV NOW on your smartphone, computer, or big screen with a compatible streaming device such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast.

swoosh88
post Jun 16 2018, 11:37 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Mar 26 2018, 11:51 AM)
unifi does not offer astro iptiv.
u can check if u can dump unifi and change to maxis which does astro iptv - possible in most areas.

u r used to astro and primarily watch live sports.
the simplest and cheapest solution for yr case is to get a mibox (make sure u get the right one).
u use astrogo, an app... but u must have id/pw from a subscriber - u get what he gets.
astrogo used to be crap but has improved - many channels in HD now.
read, ask mibox users here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3561305/+2360
or ask general box questions here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4200167/+2980
yr old q3 cannot run astrogo, forget it.
there are other boxes that can do that too but will cost more, some a lot more.
of course, these boxes can do more than just one app.

cloudtv is pretty good, been around for a long time.. but the subscription is too high, imo.
u can try other interesting/good apps as discussed by users here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3115619/+640

if new to such things, a new world is waiting 4 u.
if u have 30mbps or higher, u can get a lot of good stuff without paying or paying too much.
of course, if u do not want to get hands dirty, no time... u pay.
Hi AV Fan, would the Xiaomi box purchased from China works? Saw 5 different models on their China website

I am on Maxis home broadband now, but thinking of switching to Time 100MBps RM149/month vs current Maxis 10MBps. New to this as well, as I don't watch TV much just mainly Youtube. Thinking of getting one for parents who come by for visits. Wondering what would be a economical option. Looking for live football matches (EPL, Spanish League, Bundelisga), Documentary and some Chinese dramas. Thanks a lot!
AVFAN
post Jun 17 2018, 02:27 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,036 posts

QUOTE(swoosh88 @ Jun 16 2018, 11:37 PM)
Hi AV Fan, would the Xiaomi box purchased from China works? Saw 5 different models on their China website

I am on Maxis home broadband now, but thinking of switching to Time 100MBps RM149/month vs current Maxis 10MBps. New to this as well, as I don't watch TV much just mainly Youtube. Thinking of getting one for parents who come by for visits. Wondering what would be a economical option. Looking for live football matches (EPL, Spanish League, Bundelisga), Documentary and some Chinese dramas. Thanks a lot!
mibox is a tricky one... with so many models.

but u can ask the guys who have the right one sold locally called "mibox international", i think.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3561305/+2540
models sold in china are diff - for china market, cannot do google/youtube/chrome - still banned in china.

android boxes are rather difficult for older people who are not used to computers, keyboards and mouse.
some apps require use of mouse; remote will not work.
so, u gotta take that into consideration.

as for live sports, it is not easy to get reliable HD streams.
your best bet will be astrogo and unifi playtv - both are apps, require user id/pw from existing astro or unifi customer.
assuming the subscribers have the sports pack, between these two apps, u get enough of live sports in very decent video quality.
there are other free sports apps and sport channels, varying quality, of course. u just need to know how to get and maintain them.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3115619/+780#bottom
e.g. world cup now... i use a couple of apps.. the choice may depend on which app/link works best at the time.
lastly, there are illegit paid apps for such... but i will not talk about them, never used them.

when u decide to buy one of these boxes, do visit those threads, can ask more questions.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jun 17 2018, 03:15 AM
Wenny K
post Jul 19 2018, 05:56 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jun 17 2018, 02:27 AM)
mibox is a tricky one... with so many models.

but u can ask the guys who have the right one sold locally called "mibox international", i think.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3561305/+2540
models sold in china are diff - for china market, cannot do google/youtube/chrome - still banned in china.

android boxes are rather difficult for older people who are not used to computers, keyboards and mouse.
some apps require use of mouse; remote will not work.
so, u gotta take that into consideration.

as for live sports, it is not easy to get reliable HD streams.
your best bet will be astrogo and unifi playtv - both are apps, require user id/pw from existing astro or unifi customer.
assuming the subscribers have the sports pack, between these two apps, u get enough of live sports in very decent video quality.
there are other free sports apps and sport channels, varying quality, of course. u just need to know how to get and maintain them.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3115619/+780#bottom
e.g. world cup now... i use a couple of apps.. the choice may depend on which app/link works best at the time.
lastly, there are illegit paid apps for such... but i will not talk about them, never used them.

when u decide to buy one of these boxes, do visit those threads, can ask more questions.
so far redboxtv is working well already - Supersports 1 till 4 laugh.gif
AVFAN
post Jul 19 2018, 06:45 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,036 posts

QUOTE(Wenny K @ Jul 19 2018, 05:56 PM)
so far redboxtv is working well already - Supersports 1 till 4 laugh.gif
very good, u found the good stuff.

they came on in redbox just a couple of weeks ago.

i hope they last and not die so soon...
Wenny K
post Jul 31 2018, 12:16 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jul 19 2018, 06:45 PM)
very good, u found the good stuff.

they came on in redbox just a couple of weeks ago.

i hope they last and not die so soon...
not really though..
it died during peak hours ><
hahahahhhah

anymore app to share for live stream channels across globe?
hahhhhha rclxm9.gif
leekaq
post Aug 19 2018, 12:10 AM

19 posts

if u have fast internet of 10mbps or above..hit to karlstream.blogspot.com. full hd live sports, movies etc for as low as rm30 per month....u may ask for trial account to check out... i hv been subscribing over a year now..u need android box or smart tv with build in iptv apps

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:03 PM