Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Review & Setup - Xiaomi DaFang IP Cam (Guide)

idoblu
post Oct 19 2017, 10:07 PM, updated 3w ago

stars for sale
Group: Senior Member

For full size photos please right click on the image and select "Open Image at New Tab or Window on Desktops computers or zoom in on smart devices
user posted image

Reviewing the new Xiaomi Dafang 1080p IP Cam. This is the bigger brother to the XiaoFang reviewed earlier.
The DaFang lives up to its name and is twice as big as the XiaoFang

Includes in the package is a USB power adaptor with Type A flat prongs. Also a long USB Cable. I noticed that the head of the microUSB is rather small in order to fit the XiaoFang and Dafang. If you need to replace it in the future, you got to get back a small size microUSB head in order to fit.

Firmware Versions -
5.5.1.161 - when bought
5.5.1.177 -
5.5.1.197 1st Nov 2017
5.5.1.200 3rd Nov 2017

Bottom view of DaFang -
user posted image

Setting it up is similar to XiaoFang.
- Download the MiHome app and select Add Device.
- Select the DaFang from the photo list of devices offered by Xiaomi
- Press the Setup button at the bottom of DaFang
- When you hear the voice prompt, click “Wait until you hear a voice prompt” then select “Next” on the app
- Select the Wi-Fi network and enter the Wi-Fi password (it selects the network that your device is connected to. To change network, change it on your device) 5Ghz wireless is not supported. It can connect to Guest network which I used to limit it.
- Then it will take a few minutes to connect.
- The led indicator on the front of DaFang will turn solid blue when it is connected

At My Devices list, DaFang should now show “Device Online”. Clicking this will open up the live view.
user posted image

Sometimes it cannot connect and it stays at "1/3 Connecting" forever -
user posted image

If successfully connected, you will see the live feed and also few options to choose from.
Some of them are self explanatory as I already labelled it so I won't go thru them.
user posted image

Toggle wide or fullscreen
Set video quality High or Low
Manually Take a Photo
Manually Record a Video
Expand View - turn landscape and expand to cover your whole screen
Menus - selecting this opens a new menu with 5 icons (see photo below with explanation)

user posted image

Live Recordings - Show the live view recordings according to the time. These are save inside the microSD card.
Time Lapse - Recordings of these are saved at the "List of Photo, Video & Time Lapse" menu (see below). There are some settings as well which I havent play with yet.
Tracking Mode - turns On/Off motion tracking
360º Pan - pans the camera every 90º left and right. This function can also work together with Motion Tracking mode. Both must be selected to do this. On mine, I select both Motion Tracking and 360º Pan to be On
Calibrate - moves the camera around like its calibrating itself
Standby - puts the camera on standby mode. You can wake it up by pressing it again.

Selecting the three dots at the top right corner opens up the Camera Setting Menu as below
user posted image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jul 7 2018, 07:54 AM
idoblu
post Oct 19 2017, 10:07 PM

stars for sale

List of Motion Alarm recordings - if you had set the Motion Alarm to On, a list of such recordings are listed here. They need to be downloaded from the server in order to view. Speed seems much faster now than before when I was testing the XiaoFang. Motion Alarm Videos can be viewed and downloaded even when your DaFang is offline.

user posted image

List of still Photos, Videos, Time Lapse - Manually taken photos and videos as well as Time Lapse video are stored here. Make sure you enable read/write permission for your smartphone before this can work.
user posted image

Camera Settings - see explanation below
user posted image

1 - set Auto Record On/Off. You can also set to record at certain time but it doesnt seem to work. You must have a microSD card inserted for this to work
2 - Turns On/Off Motion Alarm Detection. You can set 3 levels of sensitivity and also turn ON/Off Smoke and CO Alarm Detection
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

3 - Turns on the IR light to Auto, Always On, Always Off. Mine is set to Auto
4 - Turns your Live View to either Widescreen or Fullscreen
5 - If you selected Fullscreen above, then you must turn on this screen justification so that none of the time stamp will get cut off
6 - Toggle Flip Image incase you mount your DaFang upside down
7 - Turn on/off time and date stamp
8 - Status Light Indicator - turn on or off the LED indicator on the front of DaFang
9 - laboratoryView.text.title - selecting this will reveal 3 functions (see explanation further down)
user posted image

10 - Format card (not shown in photo above)
11 - Video Storage Settings - pressing this doesnt seem to open anything (not shown in photo)

motion detect frame - If its On, a yellow frame will appear around the detected moving object
user posted image
set pan speed - slide the slider to set how fast you want to manually pan
user posted image

crazily pan and tilt the camera - no idea what is this for, maybe to test its movement
user posted image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jul 7 2018, 08:45 AM
idoblu
post Oct 19 2017, 10:08 PM

stars for sale

General Settings -
user posted image

Device Name - you can name your device
Manage Locations - shows you which wifi SSID you are connected to and also lets you put your device in a Group ( in this case they called it Rooms)
Share Device - lets another smart device to use the cam. They must have their own Xiaomi account unless you want to share yours. Btw you can use your ID to login to two devices or more.
Automation - haven’t test
Check for firmware updates - mine is 5.5.1.177 (i read one YouTuber says not to update if possible)
Additional Settings - set password
Add to Home Screen - for Apple users to add an icon to their Home Screen. Actually does the same thing as the MiHome App
Remove Device - delete this device from your MiHome app

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jul 7 2018, 07:43 AM
idoblu

stars for sale

reserved - final thoughts (later when I test it some more)

- if you have older firmware than 5.5.1.177, please do not update until you tried all the functions and are happy with it
- can use power bank to power DaFang
- cannot manually take still photos anymore (i think latest firmware took away this feature)
- cannot manually take live videos (firmware?)
- cannot set when you want to start and stop recording (again I think because of latest firmware)
- ran it whole day and overnight with motion tracking and 360º panning on. It doesnt seem to heat up the cam or the power adapter. Both cool to the touch, not even a little warm thumbsup.gif
- runs quietly. You can't hear the motor unless you are sitting right next to it. The sound is mostly from the whirring of the motion tracking movement. Panning is almost silent thumbsup.gif
-

This post has been edited by idoblu: Oct 21 2017, 12:18 AM
idoblu

stars for sale

Sample Videos

At night with lights turned on. First only 360º Panning was turned on. Then Motion Tracking was turned on for you to see the effect.
Please note that this is what you would see on your smartphone and not the saved recordings made by DaFang

Now with the lights off. DaFang is using its IR led to recording in the dark

This post has been edited by idoblu: Oct 21 2017, 12:06 AM
blurjoey
post Oct 19 2017, 11:59 PM

Sumo Hammy!

The motion tracking is really cool... I'm also testing the Dafang now... Much better than the Yi Dome cam...

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Oct 20 2017, 12:04 AM
ryder_78
post Oct 20 2017, 07:45 AM

Regular

Nice and detailed review. Certainly looks professional and will be useful to those who show interest in either the Xiaomi Dafang or Xiaofang.

It would be good if there is a short comparison on the differences between the Dafang and Xiaofang. So far we can see the Dafang is a larger box than the Xiaofang. WHat are the other technical differences between the two, for example Dafang can take clearer photos or videos, have better features etc. or other differences.

idoblu
post Oct 20 2017, 07:50 AM

stars for sale

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Oct 20 2017, 07:45 AM)
Nice and detailed review. Certainly looks professional and will be useful to those who show interest in either the Xiaomi Dafang or Xiaofang.

It would be good if there is a short comparison on the differences between the Dafang and Xiaofang. So far we can see the Dafang is a larger box than the Xiaofang. WHat are the other technical differences between the two, for example Dafang can take clearer photos or videos, have better features etc. or other differences.
can consider them the same spec but Dafang has pan and tilt plus auto track. forget about xiaofang. almost the same price, better get dafang
fkinmeng
post Oct 20 2017, 10:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!

great review, will help me in thinking if i should get 1 in the future, currently using xiaofang.

Sometimes it cannot connect and it stays at "1/3 Connecting" forever -

i always face this with my xiaofang with unifi, but if i use data, no issue. maybe unifi slow to china server? my locale is mainland china.

did you try night mode? so far how is it?

and dafang is almost same price with xiaofang? where did you buy?

idoblu
post Oct 20 2017, 10:23 PM

stars for sale

QUOTE(fkinmeng @ Oct 20 2017, 10:17 PM)
great review, will help me in thinking if i should get 1 in the future, currently using xiaofang.
i always face this with my xiaofang with unifi, but if i use data, no issue. maybe unifi slow to china server? my locale is mainland china.

did you try night mode? so far how is it?

and dafang is almost same price with xiaofang? where did you buy?
https://shopee.com.my/search?keyword=Dafang
bought it here for 98 with 3 months warranty

yes wait for my night mode video soon.

This post has been edited by idoblu: Oct 21 2017, 12:43 AM
mintgadget
post Oct 20 2017, 10:30 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

this camera hangs a lot. i have to keep rebooting it. already updated to the latest firmware. more than 15 restarts since 3 weeks turned on. wonder can it be flashed like the previous gen to support in NAS
idoblu
post Oct 20 2017, 10:36 PM

stars for sale

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Oct 20 2017, 10:30 PM)
this camera hangs a lot. i have to keep rebooting it. already updated to the latest firmware. more than 15 restarts since 3 weeks turned on. wonder can it be flashed like the previous gen to support in NAS
what do you mean by "hang"? cant connect or ? cam stopped panning?
mintgadget
post Oct 20 2017, 10:39 PM

Getting Started

cannot connect the blue light keeps blinking after some time it is on. the only way to reconnect is restart it
Skylinestar
post Oct 22 2017, 09:58 AM

Mega Duck

Looks like this cam is damn buggy
ryder_78
post Oct 22 2017, 12:15 PM

Regular

Thanks for the videos. Much appreciated. Just watched the 480p and it's good enough - clear images which are most important.

Good to know that the Dafang will be the one to get.
skywardsword
post Oct 22 2017, 02:43 PM

Casual

I agree you get what u pay for.
fkinmeng
post Oct 22 2017, 10:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!

night mode seems good, but macam got connection error? hmm.gif
idoblu
post Oct 24 2017, 09:26 PM

stars for sale

looks like some of the menus has been changed today. app looks a bit different now.

my 2nd unit came in today with firmware 5.5.1.161 - it doesnt look or do anything different. just some minor changes

5.5.1.161 -
user posted image

5.5.1.177 -
user posted image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Oct 24 2017, 09:33 PM
hhtoh88
post Oct 29 2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the set-up menu. It has helped me tremendously. i was struggling for the last few weeks trying to set this up correctly. My camera was zooming left and right and I really didn't know what to do. A million thumbs up for you !!!!

Does anyone know if we can mount Da Fang upside down on the ceiling?

This post has been edited by hhtoh88: Oct 29 2017, 11:57 AM
tosousa41
post Oct 29 2017, 08:25 PM

Group: Newbie

hi, i make the update and now don't connect in 3G/4G....

how to downgrade firmare? now have 5.5.1.177

18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0843sec    2.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th October 2018 - 05:15 AM