Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Wet Marinade or Dry rubs?, Which you all prefer?

check17
post Jul 12 2017, 11:14 PM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ Jun 8 2017, 02:15 PM)
Hi all sifus,

Which type sifu's prefer on their meat? Dry rub or wet marinate? May I know why?
I prefer to marinate food if I have a flash cooking, like grilling for example,or frying. I marinade lamb, or chicken when i grill, even steaks sometimes.

I prefer dryrub on slow cooking. I think that even if brased with broth or wine, ther dry rub stays on the meat and keeps the flavor.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kidicarus
post Jul 13 2017, 09:44 AM

On my way
Group Icon
Group: VIP

I think the question being asked is a bit silly ie do you prefer a dry rub or wet marinade - that really depends on what taste you're going for. My preference for a nice ribeye or sirloin would of course be just to season with salt but there's no denying the awesomeness of Korean style bbq short ribs (Kalbi) which is seasoned in a soy sauce, sugar based marinade, or even a Chinese style beef/ginger/scallions stir fry which is just marinated in soy sauce+corn flour.

With chicken, in response to the above, the reason why you would want to dry brine - which is to rub entirely with salt and under the chicken breast skin is to allow reverse osmosis to happen making the meat itself juicier and tastier. I would do an overnight salt rub whether I was roasting the chicken or poaching the chicken for hainanese chicken rice. Marinating is really to add a different taste profile for whatever recipe you're making eg satay with its rich ginger/galangal/lemongrass/sugar/onion/turmeric/kunyit paste

so asking whether a dry rub or marinade is better depends on what you're trying to make...

+Quote Post
shinchan99
post Jul 13 2017, 09:54 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Kidicarus @ Jul 13 2017, 09:44 AM)
I think the question being asked is a bit silly ie do you prefer a dry rub or wet marinade - that really depends on what taste you're going for.  My preference for a nice ribeye or sirloin would of course be just to season with salt but there's no denying the awesomeness of Korean style bbq short ribs (Kalbi) which is seasoned in a soy sauce, sugar based marinade, or even a Chinese style beef/ginger/scallions stir fry which is just marinated in soy sauce+corn flour.

With chicken, in response to the above, the reason why you would want to dry brine - which is to rub entirely with salt and under the chicken breast skin is to allow reverse osmosis to happen making the meat itself juicier and tastier.  I would do an overnight salt rub whether I was roasting the chicken or poaching the chicken for hainanese chicken rice.  Marinating is really to add a different taste profile for whatever recipe you're making eg satay with its rich ginger/galangal/lemongrass/sugar/onion/turmeric/kunyit paste

so asking whether a dry rub or marinade is better depends on what you're trying to make...
First off, it's not a silly question.. I was just trying to gather information and opinions from different person.. It's great everyone sharing their own opinions and information to further discuss or to learn them.. I appreciate everyone's comment on this thread so that I can learn more on my cooking skill..

To me, i aint no professional chef or trying to achieve one.. I'm just someone enjoy cooking & eating and learning from others since I'm not from this field of study or job..

So pardon me if the question I'm asking probably lead to some misunderstanding..

+Quote Post
Kidicarus
post Jul 13 2017, 10:24 AM

On my way
Group Icon
Group: VIP

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ Jul 13 2017, 09:54 AM)
First off, it's not a silly question.. I was just trying to gather information and opinions from different person.. It's great everyone sharing their own opinions and information to further discuss or to learn them.. I appreciate everyone's comment on this thread so that I can learn more on my cooking skill..

To me, i aint no professional chef or trying to achieve one.. I'm just someone enjoy cooking & eating and learning from others since I'm not from this field of study or job..

So pardon me if the question I'm asking probably lead to some misunderstanding..
No worries man - I'm not a professional chef either and like you I'm still learning. I make a lot of mistakes when cooking but I think that's the only way to improve your cooking.

I've had to ramp up the amount of home cooking i'm doing recently as we just got a domestic helper at the end of May. I'm trying to teach her how to cook, but the problem is I'm not a very experienced cook because this is Malaysia and most times it's easier to tapau rather than cooking especially when it's just the 2 of us.

So, to teach my maid how to cook I have to perfect a few basic recipes so that I can be as clear as possible when giving her instructions otherwise i'd be eating crappy food. In the end I've done more cooking in the last few months then I've done in the entire time we've been married doh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0717sec    5.99    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 12:24 PM