Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Blotter Spot Test Oil Analysis:VOA Helix HX7 5W30, 17,834 km blotter M1 NewLife 0W40(Tesco)

views

TSzeng
post May 23 2022, 09:46 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(90Boyz @ May 18 2022, 09:19 AM)
user posted image
Honda City GM2 year 2009
Current Odo : 162,837km
Date: 16/05/2023
Blotter time : 8:00am (picture after 48hrs)
oil age : 7,780km
Engine oil used : Honda Genuine Engine Oil Silver SP Semi Synthetic 5w30
Hi all,

There is total absence of relatively darkened Centre zone (of about 8 mm diameter on physical blotter sample) indicating a rather low level of high density and/or heavy metallic wear particles in this 7780 km blotter spot sample.

No sign of darkened aureole zone or ring (surrounding or encircling the centre zone) is present indicating absence of agglomeration phenomenon of oil contaminants or dirts ..... pointing to tip top detergency and dispersancy capabilities of this HGEO 5W30 SP which are still intact as formulated.

The diffusion zone (surrounding the aureole zone, if any) is generally transparent, light coloured and not quite gray indicating a low levels of low-density or light weight contaminants (such as soot, combustion byproducts etc) leaving plenty of room for the oil sample to receive and absord additional quantities of said contaminants as intended.

Darkened zigzag edges (surrounding the diffusion zone) is absent indicating there is no or undetectable oil oxidation phenomenon and water moisture content within the oil sample.

Absence of translucent halo (surrounding non-existent darkened edges) indicates absence of fuel dilution phenomenon, which is typical in a Honda City engine.

Overall, I would rate this 7780 km HGEO 5W30 SP blotter spot sample as still in top shape and fit for continuing service with plenty of oil life left.

Just my 2 sen.

Edit: I suppose you meant to say the blotter sampling date as 16/05/2022.

This post has been edited by zeng: May 23 2022, 10:09 AM
SUSDezs
post Sep 10 2022, 01:12 AM

On my way
623 posts

Hey TS, wanted to check in with your opinion on my engine oil test. Car is milotin 1.5L Maibi manual.

P2 Myvi 1.5 2012
Odo : 165150 km
Date: 6-7/9/2022 on cheapass recycled A4 paper)
Oil Age : +- 4500km/10000km, 3/6m interval

Current engine oil mix is a bit zhapalang of 5w30 leftovers though (oldest shelf life about 3yrs):
- About 60% Castrol Magnatec Start Stop Fully Syn 5w30
- About 40% of Motul 5w30 + Shell Ultra 5w30 Fully Syn

Car history is fully syn mostly with on time servicing. Engine has recently run through a carbon cleaning via throttle body injection about 2 weeks before taking the sample. Fuel also 2 got tanks with injector cleaner about the same time.

There are 2 sets of samples here, 2 drops each time for consistency, left was first and right was a day later w time since the sample was taken. I got a bit concerned over the oil still being clear, but forming rings indicating soot/contamination? I used a 2nd piece of paper to get the next set on the right to validate, but the rings did not seem to form as clearly even though taken cold as well. Hot sample was taken for reference.

The dark paper marks appeared after the oil was left overnight. Initially the moire patterns were not really there. Reason of concern: I am using an oil air filter that probably is not quite as great at filtration over the past 1.5yrs in the name of airflow and efficiency. Am worried if its causing severe wear, or maybe if it might be remnants of the carbon cleaning? Drive wise the engine feels perfectly fine and no noticeable loss of power/smoothness/etc throughout its life. The carbon cleaning did noticeably reduce low rpm vibrations after, so its really hard for me to tell by feel if the engine is different than the years before.

Note 1st and 2nd test were on different A4's. 2nd one all on the same piece.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Dezs: Sep 10 2022, 01:15 AM
TSzeng
post Sep 12 2022, 08:07 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Dezs @ Sep 10 2022, 01:12 AM)
Hey TS, wanted to check in with your opinion on my engine oil test. Car is milotin 1.5L Maibi manual.

P2 Myvi 1.5 2012
Odo : 165150 km
Date: 6-7/9/2022 on cheapass recycled A4 paper)
Oil Age : +- 4500km/10000km, 3/6m interval

There are 2 sets of samples here, 2 drops each time for consistency, left was first and right was a day later w time since the sample was taken. I got a bit concerned over the oil still being clear, but forming rings indicating soot/contamination? I used a 2nd piece of paper to get the next set on the right to validate, but the rings did not seem to form as clearly even though taken cold as well. Hot sample was taken for reference.

The dark paper marks appeared after the oil was left overnight. Initially the moire patterns were not really there. Drive wise the engine feels perfectly fine and no noticeable loss of power/smoothness/etc throughout its life. The carbon cleaning did noticeably reduce low rpm vibrations after, so its really hard for me to tell by feel if the engine is different than the years before.

Note 1st and 2nd test were on different A4's. 2nd one all on the same piece.

user posted image
Thank you for the quite a detailed elaboration of sample taking.

For consistent comparison, I'm looking at the LHS 24 hr hot sample among the six and assume it as 10,000 km sample, CMIIMW.

There is absence of a darkened/blackish Centre Zone (of about 8 mm in physical sample on hand), transparent and not opaque but it is slightly or mildly grayish indicating a very small amount/level of large size/heavy density metallic wear particles.

A darkened aureole zone or perimeter ring encircling the Centre Zone is absent indicating absence of agglomeration phenomenon of combustion by-product particles within the used oil sample.

The Diffusion Zone is generally transparent and not opaque (in particular the outer half of Diffusion Zone) and the inner half is very mildly grayed indicating a very low level of light weight and low density combustion contaminants being spread out within the sample.

There is total absence of darkened or brownish zig-zag edges surrounding the Diffusion Zone indicating there is no signs of cautionary oil oxidation (not saying there is NO oil oxidation phenomenon in this 10k km used oil sample) and water moisture content in this 10k km used oil sample.

Translucent halo surrounding the zigzag edge (absent, for now) and Diffusion Zone points to the absence of fuel dilution phenomenon, as is normally the case with Maibi engines.

Overall, this rojak mixed oil at 10k km is holding up very well and is still in continuing serviceable condition if one so desires.

Current engine oil mix is a bit zhapalang of 5w30 leftovers though (oldest shelf life about 3yrs):
- About 60% Castrol Magnatec Start Stop Fully Syn 5w30
- About 40% of Motul 5w30 + Shell Ultra 5w30 Fully Syn
This rojak or mixed engine oil seems to me to hold up well at 10k km usage, at typical oil change interval by our local OEMs.
So much for engine oil cannot be mixed, in real life at reasonabe oci imo.

Car history is fully syn mostly with on time servicing. Engine has recently run through a carbon cleaning via throttle body injection about 2 weeks before taking the sample. Fuel also 2 got tanks with injector cleaner about the same time.
This flushing out of stucked contaminants seems to be reflected in the 36 hr cold sample where a darkened (though slight) aureole zone/ perimeter ring can be observed, if one of two samples is at a lowly 4500 km.

Reason of concern: I am using an oil air filter that probably is not quite as great at filtration over the past 1.5yrs in the name of airflow and efficiency. Am worried if its causing severe wear, or maybe if it might be remnants of the carbon cleaning?
Your after market air filter is working normally. From the blotter spot sample here, I don't think there is any abnormal, let alone severe metallic wear and your worry is unfounded imho.
Yes, the 'dark paper marks' are indications of light weight and low density carbon contaminants as a combustion by-products. I believe these contaminants are NOT metallic wear parts, which are supposedly of heavier weight and high density.
SUSDezs
post Sep 12 2022, 09:12 AM

On my way
623 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Sep 12 2022, 08:07 AM)
For consistent comparison, I'm looking at the LHS 24 hr hot sample among the six and assume it as 10,000 km sample, CMIIMW.

Overall, this rojak mixed oil at 10k km is holding up very well and is still in continuing serviceable condition if one so desires. This rojak or mixed engine oil seems to me to hold up well at 10k km usage, at typical oil change interval by our local OEMs.

So much for engine oil cannot be mixed, in real life at reasonabe oci imo.

This flushing out of stucked contaminants seems to be reflected in the 36 hr cold sample where a darkened (though slight) aureole zone/ perimeter ring can be observed, if one of two samples is at a lowly 4500 km.

Your after market air filter is working normally. From the blotter spot sample here, I don't think there is any abnormal, let alone severe metallic wear and your worry is unfounded imho. Yes, the 'dark paper marks' are indications of light weight and low density carbon contaminants as a combustion by-products. I believe these contaminants are NOT metallic wear parts, which are supposedly of heavier weight and high density.
Thanks for the clarification. Just to avoid confusion, all the samples are running at 4500km and 3 months use. The 10k/6m was just ref against the normal change interval. I was asking around most ppl say if the 5w30 is correct rating then should be ok gua... I guess I was assuming Motul and Shell fully syn is more atas than Castrol, so net should be slightly more atas Castrol as a result kot.... sayang ehh after 4 change intervals will end up with about 3.6l of oil, enough for 1 oil round freee...

I got gan chiong when the rings appeared, then remembered I was chugging in carbon cleaner and 2 loads of injector then. I've been reading around but can't find a way to tell if my engine has been through more than normal wear or even the level of carbon buildup without going to open stuff up. Judging from online ref and the amount of leftovers after the first cleaning, it looks like I should still benefit from a 2nd run since I never did any of that throughout the engine's 10 yrs of life. Will prob do it just before my next oil change.

I'm also running a super scientific test with a fixed size double tape on the filtered side of the intake to compare stock vs oil filter. I just finished a week's run with the oil filter, and the tape is perfectly clean to the naked eye. The best part? The control tape on the pre-filter side is also perfectly clean LMAO. The only comfort prob lies in the fact that the inside part is still dust free as before as per the standardized "window finger technique" taught by asian mums.

This post has been edited by Dezs: Sep 12 2022, 09:17 AM
TSzeng
post Sep 13 2022, 07:36 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Dezs @ Sep 12 2022, 09:12 AM)
Thanks for the clarification. Just to avoid confusion, all the samples are running at 4500km and 3 months use. The 10k/6m was just ref against the normal change interval.

Oh sorry I wrongly assumed the blotter spot sample uploaded was at 10,000 km usage.
Anyway, the 'reading' generally applies.

I was asking around most ppl say if the 5w30 is correct rating then should be ok gua... I guess I was assuming Motul and Shell fully syn is more atas than Castrol, so net should be slightly more atas Castrol as a result kot.... sayang ehh after 4 change intervals will end up with about 3.6l of oil, enough for 1 oil round freee...

Assuming all 3 brands above claims SN spec, then Shell Ultra 5W30 is top among 3 as it has additional MB 229.5 approval which is good for 30k km oil change interval (esp in Europe) in any gasoline MB cars purchased/produced yesterday.

The bottom among 3 is probably Castrol as this SN is likely without additional claims of ACEA A3B4/A5B5.

The Motul is likely in the middle as it probably has Additional ACEA spec (provided it is not SM spec).

Anyway, brands or base oils are not that important is assessing the quality of formulated engine oils. To me it is the part of meeting performance specifications like MB229.5/ VW504.507 or basic ACEA A3B4/A5B5 that is more relevant.

API SN is only a basic threshhold specification that almost ALL contemporary formulated engine oils in the market meet, and so is mediocre imho.

Note: I'm ignoring SP specs for now to avoid confusions when comparing oil qualities or its standard.

I got gan chiong when the rings appeared, then remembered I was chugging in carbon cleaner and 2 loads of injector then. I've been reading around but can't find a way to tell if my engine has been through more than normal wear or even the level of carbon buildup without going to open stuff up. Judging from online ref and the amount of leftovers after the first cleaning, it looks like I should still benefit from a 2nd run since I never did any of that throughout the engine's 10 yrs of life. Will prob do it just before my next oil change.

Agree with you that the slightly darkened perimeter ring aka aureole zone being observed at 4500km indicates signs of commencement of agglomeration of combustion byproducts in the used oil. This commencement of agglomeration is attributed to relatively substantial high amount of contaminants, which I believe is released from being stucked in say, piston ring grooves due to the use of carbon cleaner. I don't think the injector cleaner is of any help in dislodging the 'stucked' carbons from piston ring grooves other than cleaning up fuel injector for efficient spray pattern of fuels.

I'm also running a super scientific test with a fixed size double tape on the filtered side of the intake to compare stock vs oil filter. I just finished a week's run with the oil filter, and the tape is perfectly clean to the naked eye. The best part? The control tape on the pre-filter side is also perfectly clean LMAO. The only comfort prob lies in the fact that the inside part is still dust free as before as per the standardized "window finger technique" taught by asian mums.

I thought you were talking about air filter only, but never mind.

This post has been edited by zeng: Sep 13 2022, 07:50 AM
TSzeng
post Sep 13 2022, 01:12 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Dec 31 2021, 10:26 AM)
Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 (Tesco) MB229.5
Oil Life : 17,080 km
12+ months oil life thus far .
ODO :331,093 km in
Car model: Toyota Avanza 1.3L
Engine: K3VE Multi Port Injection
Added some 100 mL of graphited engine oil in Elf Molygraphite 15W50 .
Make up oil added : Yes, about 500 mL (of Shell HX5 15W40) several days before current blotter date.
Oil level seems to drop by about 500 mL.

96 hour blotters,

[attachmentid=11067486]

[attachmentid=11067487]

Comments to follow, next week.

The Centre Zone is slightly darkened though not fully darkened, quite transparent and yellowish indicating presence of high-density and heavy combustion dirt particles like metal wear etc.

Good news is, there is absence of emergent darked aureole zone/perimeter ring (of about 10 mm diameter on real sample) indicating agglomeration of dirt contaminants has not commenced, if present.

Inner annulus of Diffusion Zone is a bit darkened/grey but remains sort of transparent and not opaque indicating quite substantial levels/amounts of light-density combustion by-products like contaminants and soot.

Outer annulus of Diffusion Zone remains quite clean, light coloured and transparent indicating the used oil sample's capacity to receive or absorb further quantities of light-density dirts.

The outermost jagged zigzag edge of the blotter is quite fully darkened indicating presence of moisture and substantial oil oxidation phenomenon.

Translucent halo at the outermost zone is absent indicating absence of fuel dilution phenomenon in the engine and oil sample.

As usual, engine coolant contamination is absent.

Imho, there is no cause of alarm or caution in immediate terms but it may be time to plan and schedule the next oil change with this 17,080 km used oil, before or immediately after coming CNY (falling on 1 Feb 2022).

Happy New Year 2022 and CNY in advance, btw.
Oil Life : 9,940 km
7+ months oil life thus far .
ODO :341,788 km in

48 hour blotters,

Attached Image

SUSDezs
post Sep 14 2022, 09:52 AM

On my way
623 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Sep 13 2022, 07:36 AM)
Assuming all 3 brands above claims SN spec, then Shell Ultra 5W30 is top among 3 as it has additional MB 229.5 approval which is good for 30k km oil change interval (esp in Europe) in any gasoline MB cars purchased/produced yesterday.

The bottom among 3 is probably Castrol as this SN is likely without additional claims of ACEA A3B4/A5B5. The Motul is likely in the middle as it probably has Additional ACEA spec (provided it is not SM spec).

Anyway, brands or base oils are not that important is assessing the quality of formulated engine oils. To me it is the part of  meeting performance specifications like MB229.5/ VW504.507 or basic ACEA A3B4/A5B5 that is more relevant.

API SN is only a basic threshhold specification that almost ALL contemporary formulated engine oils in the market meet, and so is mediocre imho.

I thought you were talking about air filter only, but never mind.
Ah yes... still on air filter (oil performance vs paper stock) - well that failed horribly when even the control tape could'nt pick up enough dust to be noticeably different than clean tape even up close.

Thanks a lot for breaking down the details. I'm aware from exp Castrol is the lowest amongst those 3 in the mix (cheapest ma lol), but its also the best value fully syn I can get +it begins death at ngam ngam at 10-12k km for my regular change. I usually drop in an additive like Ceratec (tried X1-R once but I guess I trust Ceratec more now - 1/2 botol per change) when using that and it brings up the smoothness and efficiency to par or better than premium EOs out of the bottle. Didn't use it this round cause chapalang mix, dunno later explode haha.

My Motul bottle (H-Tech 100 was the product name) had the best engine performance (Economy/fuel wise it was on par with Mobil1 0w-30 but this was long time ago and way above budget, so it was just a fun test) but lifespan was normal, at 12k km when I did the change, feel the "sibeh smooth" starting to fade. Shell Ultra had the best lifespan even tho it didn't feel as smooth as Motul (and on the km/l, still top tier tho), I kinda regretted changing it 11k because it looked just like a few months off new - your input make be beh song finding out it could go until 30k lol.

The most haram jadah fully syn I tried was Bosch X7, felt not much better than semi-syn, and seriously degraded into crap by 9k. It was dirt cheap, so that should explain.

After seeing the reviews of HX-8 I might give it a try +additives if it blends well. I don't mind spending RM150 per oil change as better oil truly smoothens the engine all round. My next EO to try in the pipeline is Molygen - seen a lot of reviews this thing is da shiznit, but since Mobil1 say don't use with Ceratec, current gap in use should clear out the engine a bit.

I'd start looking up the specifications going forward.

This post has been edited by Dezs: Sep 14 2022, 09:53 AM
TSzeng
post Sep 24 2022, 06:14 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Sep 13 2022, 01:12 PM)
Oil Life : 9,940 km
7+ months oil life thus far .
ODO :341,788 km in

48 hour blotters,

Attached Image

The Centre Zone (of about 8 mm diameter) is slightly grayed but remains transparent and is not opaque, indicating a certain level of high density/heavy metal wear particles.

The aureole zone/perimeter ring (of about 10 mm diameter size) is not darkened indicating absence of agglomeration of combustion by-products in the blotter sample. It represents the usual capability of used oil to detergent/dispersed contaminants within the used oil sample.

At 9940 km usage, the Diffusion Zone is generally grayed and slightly darkened but not opaque indicating a certain level of light/low density combustion by-products/contaminants. Notice that the outer annulus of the Diffusion Zone remains clear and light coloured but not graying/darkish which appears to be ready to absorb additional amounts of oil contaminants.

Darkened zig-zag outer edge is obvious and clearly seen indicating presence of oil oxidation phenomenon and/or presence of moisture.

Translucent halo is absent on the outermost zone (encircling the zig-zag edge) indicating absence of fuel dilution phenomenon in this 9940 km blotter sample.

As usual, there is no indication of coolant contamination of used oil.

Overall I'm of the opinion this 9940 km used oil is still serviceable and is currently operating at 14,000 km or thereabout.

This post has been edited by zeng: Sep 24 2022, 06:15 PM
cempedaklife
post Jan 31 2023, 10:06 AM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

using Aisin Fully Syn 5w-30

user posted image
Gin87 P
post Dec 28 2023, 03:35 PM

Probation
25 posts

Halo bro Zeng, needing our expert opinion on this one, as I was experimenting with 'time' aspect of oil life, thanks ya..

Myvi Lagi Best 2014, 1.5L 3SZ-VE
Current mileage: 85,111km

Engine oil: Shell Helix Protect 0W-30 API SN Plus; ACEA A3/B4

Oil sample was taken on 27.12.2023, photo taken after 24 hours
Oil mileage: 9,596km
Oil age: 2 years 7 month

Last oil change was at 75,515 km, 10.05.2021

The car currently is being used by my parents, very very low monthly / yearly mileage, most of the time the commute was 10-15 minutes, eat kolo mee or buy sayur, then go back... The farthest maybe 3 hour trip here and there onece or twice a year.

I believe after more than 2 years inside the engine, close to 10k km mileage, the oil condition is nothing to worry about? Correct me if I'm wrong..
Oil will be changed once it hits 10k km

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Dweller
post Feb 9 2024, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

Sifu zeng

Can you help to interpret my oil? Thanks in advance

Engine: 4GR-FSE (direct injection)
Mileage: 166993km
Oil brand: unknown brand (just bought the car on Dec 2023)
Mileage: 3177km++ (I have added 3177km on top of previous owner use which is also not known)

Blotter was sampled during cold. Photo taken after 6 hours

Plan to change to Bold Atas EO. Hope it's good

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Dweller: Feb 9 2024, 04:09 PM
e-lite
post Feb 9 2024, 08:31 PM

On my way
665 posts

QUOTE(Dweller @ Feb 9 2024, 04:04 PM)
Sifu zeng

Mileage: 3177km++ (I have added 3177km on top of previous owner use which is also not known)

Attached Image
CHANGE IMMEDIATELY!
TSzeng
post Feb 10 2024, 07:27 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Sifu zeng

Attached Image
Quick answer:
Change, as suggested by e-lite but I would say do it as soon as possible like not more than 1-3 months (2-5K kms) from now.

Will give longer answer later.

Happy Chinese New Year to all folks out there.
Dweller
post Feb 10 2024, 09:36 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

QUOTE(e-lite @ Feb 9 2024, 08:31 PM)
CHANGE IMMEDIATELY!
QUOTE(zeng @ Feb 10 2024, 07:27 AM)
Quick answer:
Change, as suggested by e-lite but I would say do it as soon as possible like not more than 1-3  months (2-5K kms) from now.

Will give longer answer later.

Happy Chinese New Year to all folks out there.
Happy CNY to all smile.gif

user posted image

From my short searching, spot 3 is the most similar and indicate intermediate wear. hmm.gif
e-lite
post Feb 10 2024, 10:57 AM

On my way
665 posts

Sifu zeng

Attached Image
sorry but i try to keep it short. maybe zeng can elaborate more in the future

you might have excess fuel or coolant in your oil. there might be a leak that needs fixing. smell your oil if it smells of strong fuel smell
TSzeng
post Feb 10 2024, 02:39 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Dweller @ Feb 10 2024, 09:36 AM)
Happy CNY to all smile.gif

user posted image

From my short searching, spot 3 is the most similar and indicate intermediate wear. hmm.gif
Yes, spot 3 best represents your sample.

It's mainly characterized by the dark and thick coloured annulus (of about 8 mm diameter size in your physical sample) - or what I called aureole zone and this is a 'lousy and bad' phenomenon of agglomeration of heavy size/weight metallic wear (mainly a metal wear caused by corrosion ) and combustion contaminants within your oil sample.

This post has been edited by zeng: Feb 10 2024, 02:43 PM
e-lite
post Feb 11 2024, 02:43 PM

On my way
665 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Feb 10 2024, 02:39 PM)
It's mainly characterized by the dark and thick coloured annulus
Would like to share some info that might be interest of you.

There is a German company doing UOA posted on oil-club.de with blotter test that might further improve your expertise. I think they using AD DT100DL machine. A sample of the UOAs are:-

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/7930-r...rid-5-tkm-100h/
https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/10842-...9316-kilometer/

47 Pages « < 45 46 47Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 PM