Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

United 93, Absolutely brilliant film

views

GhettoSuperstar
post Feb 16 2007, 09:27 PM

15 posts

I didnt like this movie. I cant find big faults with it, but i just didnt like it. The article in reader's digest about flight 93 moved me more than this film did.

IMO, it's too soon to make a movie about September 11.

Maybe i would have a different opinion if i viewed it a second time, as Burga implied. But i dont think i would be bothered to.

TSQuickFire
post Feb 17 2007, 01:24 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

QUOTE(malayneum @ Feb 17 2007, 01:09 PM)
but im just saying it will just stir-up more anti-muslim and racial prejudice among the already ignorant and xenophobic americans.
well then I guess it's because the people themselves are ignorant. Dont blame the film. That's like saying we shouldnt have cars because they cause accidents.
malayneum
post Feb 17 2007, 01:28 PM

penjaga kontrak sosial
2,041 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Feb 17 2007, 01:19 PM)
I said they tried to recreate. Of course they couldn't know EXACTLY what happened in the plane, they could only TRY, based on the phone calls from the passengers onboard and the blackbox. And I thought they did a good job of it. They didnt try hollywood dramatics. In fact there is very little music in the whole
oh yeah? then why during the end credits it says 'america's war on terror had begun' instead of 'dedicated to the lost lives in 911' . does that not a sign of 'HATRED'? rolleyes.gif
BurgaFlippinMan
post Feb 17 2007, 01:33 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

It is a dry statement of fact, congruous with the film. 'Dedicating' it would be pandering sentimentality. Neither one of them is a 'hollywood' dramatic

EDIT: Woops my bad there about the end titles. Cant recall the ending except for that exquisite restrained closing shot. wink.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by BurgaFlippinMan: Feb 17 2007, 01:46 PM
TSQuickFire
post Feb 17 2007, 01:41 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(malayneum @ Feb 17 2007, 01:28 PM)
oh yeah? then why during the end credits it says 'america's war on terror had begun' instead of 'dedicated to the lost lives in 911' . does that not a sign of 'HATRED'? rolleyes.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you got it the other way round. It said "dedicated to the victims of 911".

[last title cards]
Title card: Of the four aircraft hijacked that day, United 93 was the only one that did not reach its target. It crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania at 10:03am. No one survived.
Title card: Military commanders were not notified that United 93 had been hijacked until four minutes after it had crashed. The nearest fighter jets were 100 miles away.
Title card: At 10:18am, the President authorized the military to engage hijacked aircraft. Fearing an accidental shoot down, military commanders chose not to pass the order to pilots in the air.
Title card: By 12:06pm every civilian airliner over America had been forced to land. Amidst an unprecedented military mobilization, US airspace was closed until further notice.
Title card: Dedicated to the memory of all those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0475276/quotes

Ha!

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Feb 17 2007, 01:43 PM
BurgaFlippinMan
post Feb 17 2007, 01:43 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

deleted...........

This post has been edited by BurgaFlippinMan: Feb 17 2007, 01:44 PM
malayneum
post Feb 17 2007, 01:45 PM

penjaga kontrak sosial
2,041 posts

QUOTE(BurgaFlippinMan @ Feb 17 2007, 01:33 PM)
It is a dry statement of fact, congruous with the film. 'Dedicating' it would be  pandering sentimentality. Neither one of them is a 'hollywood' dramatic
QUOTE(QuickFire @ Feb 17 2007, 01:41 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you got it the other way round. It said "dedicated to the victims of 911". Ha!
seems like you people have no idea what im talking about

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
BurgaFlippinMan
post Feb 17 2007, 01:49 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

I admittedly couldnt recall the title cards as I last watched the film months ago. I apologize for that mistake. Nevertheless, the point of discussion was whether 'America's war on terror had begun' was a 'hollywood dramatic'; so I suppose you dont really know what you are talking about either. tongue.gif laugh.gif Btw I'll give u the benefit of doubt, did you mistakenly watch Flight 93? Because from what I've heard, that one is a cliche ridden, rah rah version of the events.

This post has been edited by BurgaFlippinMan: Feb 17 2007, 01:54 PM
TSQuickFire
post Feb 17 2007, 01:49 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(malayneum @ Feb 17 2007, 01:45 PM)
seems like you people have no idea what im talking about

rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif
Elaborate please.
malayneum
post Feb 17 2007, 01:55 PM

penjaga kontrak sosial
2,041 posts

i suggest u all to study more about a film before making blabbering comments here. user posted image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_93_%28...roduction_notes
Kagaya
post Feb 17 2007, 01:56 PM

Bad-Badtz Maru FREAK !!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,396 posts

United 93 eh? Gonna add that to my list of 'have-to-watch' movies...

Well, movies, unlike documentary, can be fictional, spiced-up with some imagination, without grounds or whatsoever, not necessary factual as well. So in the end, it'll definitely draws critic, appraisal and commentary on it. Or some just yawn all the way from the start till the end.

Offensive? It's natural, isn't it? Movies were made to provoke the audience senses... Passion of the Christ, Munich, Fahrenheit 9/11, Titanic and more were created based on the directors imagination after all. It's not real, but we all know media is a strong form publicity and propaganda spreading method. Movies are one of the many method to do it, effectively.

Like malayneum himself, always claiming himself a Rempit, but I'd never saw any Rempit would woke up 8:25am in the morning, log into LY.net and post a couple of threads expressing his own will and draws some serious flamethrower stunt from fellow members. If u guys response to his comment, you all were some how DUPED... just ignore him... he'd just enjoy the attention...

Since I haven't watch it, I wonder how forummers here rate this movie against other aeroplane-based movies like Snakes on the Plane laugh.gif and other?

I think at best, the movie tried to show the innocent side of the passengers in the cabin rather the whole America themselves, for starter, there might be some Muslim American passenger in the flight as well. Sorry, if it goes offtopic...
BurgaFlippinMan
post Feb 17 2007, 01:58 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

Well you are only telling half the story then. The 'release' version is the one the public got to see, and the one we are discussing.
BurgaFlippinMan
post Feb 17 2007, 02:06 PM

Wachaaa!
6,486 posts

Dude, we were talking about Hollywood dramatics. Secondly, title cards are often inserted by the studio and the director may not have any say.
oucheev
post Feb 17 2007, 02:14 PM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(malayneum @ Feb 17 2007, 02:04 PM)
it doesnt matter, it means the director have some 'hateful' intention while making the movie. and decided to change it last minute as some sort of 'cover up'.
You said the directors are biased and racist but your views are equally biased and full of racist remarks about Americans. Why don't you just accept that a group of Arabs have done a horrible thing to Americans? What does all this people who died on the planes and WTC have to do with Americans politics and policies. Have you ever thought that if 9 /11 have not happened, the whole world would be a better place today.
malayneum
post Feb 17 2007, 02:28 PM

penjaga kontrak sosial
2,041 posts

QUOTE(oucheev @ Feb 17 2007, 02:14 PM)
You said the directors are biased and racist but your views are equally biased and full of racist remarks about Americans. Why don't you just accept that a group of Arabs have done a horrible thing to Americans? What does all this people who died on the planes and WTC have to do with Americans politics and policies. Have you ever thought that if 9  /11 have not happened, the whole world would be a better place today.
theres always two sides on a razor blade. ever heard of loose change? i appreciate some americans who still have a bit of conscience though. user posted image
TSQuickFire
post Feb 17 2007, 02:58 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(malayneum @ Feb 17 2007, 02:04 PM)
it doesnt matter, it means the director have some 'hateful' intention while making the movie. and decided to change it last minute as some sort of 'cover up'.
They changed it because there are people like you in the world... people who shout 'racist!' when a film honestly portrays what happened.user posted image tongue.gif

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Feb 17 2007, 02:58 PM
+Newbie+
post Feb 17 2007, 07:41 PM

To be needed as The Sand's Kazekage
Group Icon
VIP
3,055 posts

Can we just stick to topic?

Let's just leave the "right or wrong" debate in Real World Issues and talk about the finer points of film making here.

Let me get the ball rolling.

What part of the movie do you think the film makers did well and what would you change to make the film better?

This post has been edited by +Newbie+: Feb 17 2007, 07:45 PM
Greasy Sweet
post Feb 17 2007, 10:08 PM

Getting Started
248 posts

I found this movie bland and extremely boring. 911 nevar 4get !!1!!!1
TSQuickFire
post Feb 18 2007, 12:07 AM

2,865 posts

Damn, we were having fun running over malayneum. tongue.gif

I thought the best scene was the last few seconds of the film.
orga_laut
post Feb 18 2007, 11:11 AM

Getting Started
251 posts

ouh .. havent watch yet.

is it something like Loose Change? or Armageddon where the heroes r the americans?
if its something like Loose Change, then this movie is a 'must-watch'.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 PM