Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

53 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ASX COUNTERS !, Everything related to the Aus Sec Exc !

views

elea88
post Dec 14 2016, 01:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,037 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 14 2016, 01:11 PM)
Yeah,... but even better if we can dip our fingers directly into Australian assets itself,...

Need not remain proxy behind these SG managers,.... smile.gif
i not yet analyse how or the best method to buy Australian asset .. so temporary ASCENDAS , FRASER.. also Aud related.

prince_mk
post Dec 14 2016, 08:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,679 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 14 2016, 01:11 PM)
Yeah,... but even better if we can dip our fingers directly into Australian assets ourselves,...

Need not remain behind these proxy SG REIT managers,.... smile.gif

Edited to make my points clearer.
rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

I m still bit blur on ASX market. slowly following you and reading abt Australian assets

I agreed with you too. we invest directly in ASX market and remove the proxy Sg reits managers. Good idea.

but must see the initial amt to invest in ASX market too coz I got limited bullets and started with Sg reits 1 yr ago.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by prince_mk: Dec 14 2016, 08:34 PM
TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 07:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(prince_mk @ Dec 14 2016, 08:24 PM)
rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

I m still bit blur on ASX market. slowly following you and reading abt Australian assets

I agreed with you too. we invest directly in ASX market and remove the proxy Sg reits managers. Good idea.

but must see the initial amt to invest in ASX market too coz I got limited bullets and started with Sg reits 1 yr ago.

laugh.gif
rclxms.gif Take it slowly, bro,... you're doing well,....

After the rate hike last night plus the three anticipated hikes next yr, there does not seemed to be any knee-jerk downward pressures on my counters in the ASX !

But as I type now, I see the Aus Indices levelling off after a plunge at open. It's just one hr into the open this morning.
TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 08:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

The Aus Indices are turning back up !!!
Chinoz
post Dec 15 2016, 08:26 AM

Llamas"R"Us
1,484 posts

QUOTE(prince_mk @ Dec 8 2016, 10:20 AM)
Oic. We are Msian. Does this impact us ? Or this only impact the Aussies citizen only ?
QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 8 2016, 10:33 AM)
Aussie tax residents, bro,...
I believe the 50% CGT discount for foreigners was withdrawn some years back.

As a foreigner, Aussie tax is unfavourable as you don't get the above CGT discount and tax-free threshold for income tax (32.5% for first $87k in FY17), and you don't get to utilise franking credits for dividends.

The only minor consolation is that you can use capital losses or interest payments to offset your gains.
TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 09:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(Chinoz @ Dec 15 2016, 08:26 AM)
I believe the 50% CGT discount for foreigners was withdrawn some years back.

As a foreigner, Aussie tax is unfavourable as you don't get the above CGT discount and tax-free threshold for income tax (32.5% for first $87k in FY17), and you don't get to utilise franking credits for dividends.

The only minor consolation is that you can use capital losses or interest payments to offset your gains.
Tq Chinoz,... appreciated yr explanations.

May I know pls, what is CGT, and if a foreigner has not sold the shares (meaning realise the losses), how does he use the losses to offset the dividends earned at year-end ?
Chinoz
post Dec 15 2016, 09:56 AM

Llamas"R"Us
1,484 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 15 2016, 09:29 AM)
Tq Chinoz,... appreciated yr explanations.

May I know pls, what is CGT, and if a foreigner has not sold the shares (meaning realise the losses), how does he use the losses to offset the dividends earned at year-end ?
CGT = Capital Gains Tax.

Just like how RPGT is payable in Malaysia when you profit from sales of Real Property, CGT is payable when you profit from sales of capital assets.

Capital losses can only be used to offset capital gains, and can be carried forward to future years - should've made it clearer in my initial post.

You can't deduct a net capital loss directly from your income, but you can carry it forward and deduct it from capital gains in later income years.

There is no time limit on how long you can carry forward a net capital loss.

You must offset your capital losses against your capital gains in the order in which you made them. You can't choose not to offset capital losses against capital gains if you have them, but you can choose which capital gains to deduct your losses from.

So if you make $5 profit on one stock counter, but incur $2 loss on another, your net capital gain for that year is $3.

There may be other deductions permitted with regards to dividend income.
For instance, if you've borrowed money to purchase said dividend stock, you're allowed to deduct the interest expense.

Disclaimer : I'm not a tax accountant, just a frequent lurker of the ATO website.
TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 10:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(Chinoz @ Dec 15 2016, 09:56 AM)
CGT = Capital Gains Tax.

Just like how RPGT is payable in Malaysia when you profit from sales of Real Property, CGT is payable when you profit from sales of capital assets.

Capital losses can only be used to offset capital gains, and can be carried forward to future years - should've made it clearer in my initial post.
So if you make $5 profit on one stock counter, but incur $2 loss on another, your net capital gain for that year is $3.

There may be other deductions permitted with regards to dividend income.
For instance, if you've borrowed money to purchase said dividend stock, you're allowed to deduct the interest expense.

Disclaimer : I'm not a tax accountant, just a frequent lurker of the ATO website.
Tq Chinoz,... there is no mention of capital loss for that year being able to offset against dividend earned for the same year,... as I can see. Have you come across this eg in the ATP website, or from experience ?
elea88
post Dec 15 2016, 11:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,037 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 7 2016, 12:47 PM)
To get a 'feel' of these counters, at present Stanchart Singapore offers quite good brokerages for investing into the Australian Securities Exchange, the ASX !

If you have AUD notes in-hand, you can open a Multi Currency Account (MCA) with DBS Singapore, and then bank-in your notes into the AUD Wallet of your MCA. No extra charge to bank-in Aussie notes,....

Then, if you wished to buy Aus counters with these notes, you can open a brokerage account with DBS Vickers, and buy using your Aussie Dollars banked-in earlier.

Otherwise, you can TT over your AUDs in the normal way,...
where to find list of A REITS australia?
any link to share?

i actually hv AUD sitting in FD in msia now earning 2% per annum. these AUD was collected from like many years ago.. when the exchange was only 2.30 and the AUD FD RATE was 6% or so...

so, maybe will TT these AUD to SG then from DBS buy AUD reits?

TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(elea88 @ Dec 15 2016, 11:41 AM)
where to find list of A REITS australia?
any link to share?

i actually hv AUD sitting in FD in msia now earning 2% per annum. these AUD was collected from like many years ago.. when the exchange was only 2.30 and the AUD FD RATE was 6% or so...

so, maybe will TT these AUD to SG then from DBS buy AUD reits?
The brokerage is cheaper if you go with Stanchart,.. but it's up to you,...

I don't have a specific site, I just follow "The Motley Fool".
Chinoz
post Dec 15 2016, 12:41 PM

Llamas"R"Us
1,484 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 15 2016, 10:10 AM)
Tq Chinoz,... there is no mention of capital loss for that year being able to offset against dividend earned for the same year,... as I can see. Have you come across this eg in the ATP website, or from experience ?
You cannot offset capital losses against dividend income.

Capital losses can only be offset against capital gains.
TSHansel
post Dec 15 2016, 03:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(Chinoz @ Dec 15 2016, 12:41 PM)
You cannot offset capital losses against dividend income.

Capital losses can only be offset against capital gains.
Tq, Chinoz,... thumbsup.gif
prince_mk
post Dec 16 2016, 09:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,679 posts

Just curious. Let say I have some AUD in the dbs MCA acc.

can I transfer from the AUD in the MCA acc to Std Ctd AUD settlement acc ? doable ?
prince_mk
post Dec 16 2016, 09:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,679 posts

for reading pleasure on ASX reits :

http://dividend.net.au/real-estate-investment-trust-reit/

ryan18
post Dec 16 2016, 10:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,394 posts

I actually have some ASX shares (1 A REIT,1 telco) from my uni days, the Aussie bank account and ASX brokerage account

but my brokerage is quite high minimum transaction AUD500/per txn brokerage AUD18.14

so far my dividend only subject to withholding tax around 15% for AREIT and 0% tax for the telco(its fully franked)

This post has been edited by ryan18: Dec 16 2016, 10:32 PM
ryan18
post Dec 16 2016, 10:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,394 posts

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gain...r-capital-gain/
TSHansel
post Dec 17 2016, 08:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(prince_mk @ Dec 16 2016, 09:38 PM)
Just curious. Let say I have some AUD in the dbs MCA acc.

can I transfer from the AUD in the MCA acc to Std Ctd AUD settlement acc ? doable ?
Yes, you can do that, it will be by using TT, TT'ing from one local bank to another.
TSHansel
post Dec 17 2016, 09:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(ryan18 @ Dec 16 2016, 10:31 PM)
I actually have some ASX shares (1 A REIT,1 telco) from my uni days, the Aussie bank account and ASX brokerage account

but my brokerage is quite high minimum transaction AUD500/per txn brokerage AUD18.14

so far my dividend only subject to withholding tax around 15% for AREIT and 0% tax for the telco(its fully franked)
Tq Ryan,....

Who is yr broker (brokerage) and which bank do you bank with ? Only 15% for AREIT ? Is it over the whole dividend amount or over the income component only and not the capital return component ?

Because an AREIT dividend can comprise different components making up the dividend payout.
ryan18
post Dec 17 2016, 09:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,394 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 17 2016, 09:20 AM)
Tq Ryan,....

Who is yr broker (brokerage) and which bank do you bank with ? Only 15% for AREIT ? Is it over the whole dividend amount or over the income component only and not the capital return component ?

Because an AREIT dividend can comprise different components making up the dividend payout.
Hi my broker is Commsec, I bank with CBA/Commbank. All these were opened few years back when I studied there for 1 year.
About A-REIT, non resident are only subject to non resident withholding tax. I assume it's around 15% as every time my dividend value of $17.40 gets a $2 deduction for withholding tax
TSHansel
post Dec 17 2016, 04:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(ryan18 @ Dec 17 2016, 09:45 AM)
Hi my broker is Commsec, I bank with CBA/Commbank. All these were opened few years back when I studied there for 1 year.
About A-REIT, non resident are only subject to non resident withholding tax. I assume it's around 15% as every time my dividend value of $17.40 gets a $2 deduction for withholding tax
Tq, bro,...

Your 15% tax is taxed upon you when you were there studying for that year or today, when you are back in MY ?

53 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0296sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:47 PM