Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[V30] Lowyat.Net Mechanical Keyboard Club

views

horns
post Mar 6 2018, 03:29 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 6 2018, 02:35 PM)
hahaha... holy crap! I opened the picture in a new tab to view it at full size and holy macaroni... definitely too much lube! LOL

[attachmentid=9634961]
by the look of it, lubing was done after full assembly

.. and i thought i was very generous already haha

QUOTE(quovadis123 @ Mar 6 2018, 02:55 PM)
HHKB also give extra 1..
Roti canai kuah banjir..  rclxm9.gif
oh. too much of it will cause some side effects. i tried this before (because i was too lazy) then lube started to spread everywhere; stabs became sticky for a while (gone after some time); and they might become potential dust magnets.

i ended up cleaning up the stabs with alcohol, and reapplied amounts that i think already abundant (but definitely not as much as in the picture) the effects are the same, with minimal side effects like the above.

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Mar 6 2018, 03:21 PM)
this is effing cute  rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif
yes it's really nice smile.gif

This post has been edited by horns: Mar 6 2018, 03:38 PM
antaras
post Mar 6 2018, 03:51 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(GMart @ Mar 6 2018, 03:23 PM)
Was wondering, where can we get switch lubricants for tactile/clicky switches locally? Or definitely have to purchase it from overseas?
Yup, I am looking for some Krytox lube as well. Just to try it out and compare it from the Dielectric grease that I am using now. But seems like overseas is the only way to get them though. sad.gif

This post has been edited by antaras: Mar 6 2018, 03:51 PM
TSquovadis123
post Mar 6 2018, 09:52 PM

Keys
2,882 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 6 2018, 03:51 PM)
Yup, I am looking for some Krytox lube as well. Just to try it out and compare it from the Dielectric grease that I am using now. But seems like overseas is the only way to get them though. sad.gif
Last time veteran only recommend those grease.. Since easily available in Malaysia.
Which krytox is famous in mkb community?
locksng12
post Mar 7 2018, 02:33 AM

Getting Started
279 posts

Attached Image

Plugged in my Race 3 into my gaming desktop. Really trying to get used to DSA keycaps. sweat.gif

Is it normal to have slower Words per Minute on this keyboard?
horns
post Mar 7 2018, 12:22 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 6 2018, 03:51 PM)
i guess the only way to get krytox lubes are outside Malaysia. it's not easy to get access to such lubes here for some reasons.

alternatively just use cheap alternatives like super lube or dielectric grease.

QUOTE(quovadis123 @ Mar 6 2018, 09:52 PM)
Last time veteran only recommend those grease.. Since easily available in Malaysia.
Which krytox is famous in mkb community?
afaik the most common ones are krytox gpl 10x series for oil, 20x series for grease, e.g. gpl 105 + gpl 205. (same material in different forms)

the coresponding alternatives from super lube is 51004 for oil, 21030 for grease. (they are the same material in different forms also)

QUOTE(locksng12 @ Mar 7 2018, 02:33 AM)
Attached Image

Plugged in my Race 3 into my gaming desktop. Really trying to get used to DSA keycaps.  sweat.gif

you can try change the stock dsa caps to those with different profiles, e.g. oem or cherry profiles.
goodnewsgeorge
post Mar 7 2018, 01:33 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(locksng12 @ Mar 7 2018, 02:33 AM)
Attached Image

Plugged in my Race 3 into my gaming desktop. Really trying to get used to DSA keycaps.  sweat.gif

you're probably not used to typing on DSA profile - I experienced that when I first got DSA keycaps too. on OEM profiles (usually the default keycaps from most keyboards) the elevation of the upper rows actually helps you place your fingers in the right spot even though you may not notice it previously. After using DSA for a while, you get more comfortable without having to rely on that and should be able to get back to your previous typing speed - at least that was my experience.

This post has been edited by goodnewsgeorge: Mar 7 2018, 01:33 PM
antaras
post Mar 7 2018, 01:47 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 7 2018, 12:22 PM)
the coresponding alternatives from super lube is 51004 for oil, 21030 for grease. (they are the same material in different forms also)
you can try change the stock dsa caps to those with different profiles, e.g. oem or cherry profiles.
ahhh... yes. I was looking for your previous posting on this Super Lube. Very well then, Super Lube 51004 it is then. Next purchase from Ace Hardware. hehe... Thanks again for the info!
horns
post Mar 7 2018, 02:48 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 7 2018, 01:47 PM)
ahhh... yes. I was looking for your previous posting on this Super Lube. Very well then, Super Lube 51004 it is then. Next purchase from Ace Hardware. hehe... Thanks again for the info!
lubing is one of the basics that separates most prebuilts from customs. it offers a significant portion of improvements for typing experience.

in general from what i have gathered from reddit/geekhack (so-called recommended options):
1. switches - use thin lube for linear, thick lube for tactile/clicky; for springs, use thin lube;
2. stabilizers - use thick lube. always;
3. reapply when lubed effects have degraded.

about the thick:thin lube ratios for lube mixtures, there are some recommended ratios already for most switch types, but imo it's really up to you.

ok now about all these lube choices. there are actually mixtures of comments about their shelf lives/service lives. (ideally, you apply lube once, and it will last forever) in general, many claimed that krytox products are superior. for permanent builds, i guess it's better to use krytox because it's claimed to last longer. (i.e. years) there were some claims stated that Super Lube will degrade fairly quickly over time. i still cannot find anything solid to prove that; all are just hear-says. personally i have used lubed stabs and switches by Super Lube for months. there is no sign of degradation yet. (iinm it was reported that it only lasted for weeks/few months. apparently not in my case. maybe it's because i use only thick lube, not mixtures) on the other hand, there are also claims that krytox products are not suitable for mechanical keyboards lol

there were also claims that stated that mixtures, if you left them for some time, the thick lube will separate from thin lube. (so maybe it's better to shake them before use, or get these lubes separately and mix them up when re-application is necessary)

my take on all the comments above is simple: just reapply when lubed effects have degraded. (cleanups before reapplying might be optional) in my case with Super Lube, it might take a while to reach this point of time.

This post has been edited by horns: Mar 7 2018, 04:08 PM
antaras
post Mar 7 2018, 03:23 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 7 2018, 02:48 PM)
lubing is one of the basics that separates most prebuilts from customs, and it offers a significant portion of improvements for typing experience.

in general from what i have gathered from reddit/geekhack (so-called recommended options):
1. switches - use thin lube for linear, thick lube for tactile/clicky; for springs, use thin lube;
2. stabilizers - use thick lube. always;
3. reapply when lubed effects has degraded.

about the thick:thin lube ratios for lube mixtures, there are some recommended ratios already for most switch types, but imo it's really up to you.

ok now about all these lube choices. there are actually mixtures of comments about their shelf lives. in general, many claimed that krytox products are superior. for permanent builds, i guess it's better to use krytox because it's claimed to last longer. (i.e. years) there were some claims stated that Super Lube will degrade fairly quickly over time. i still cannot find anything solid to prove that; all are just hear-says. personally i have used lubed stabs and switches by Super Lube for months. there is no sign of degradation yet. (iinm it was reported that it only lasted for weeks/few months. apparently not in my case. maybe it's because i use only thick lube, not mixtures) on the other hand, there are also claims that krytox products are not suitable for mechanical keyboards lol

there were also claims that stated that mixtures, if you left them for some time, the thick lube will separate from thin lube. (so maybe it's better to shake them before use, or get these lubes separately and mix them up when re-application is necessary)

my take on all the comments above is simple: just reapply when lubed effects have degraded. (cleanups before reapplying might be optional) in my case with Super Lube, it might take a while to reach this point of time.
Very detailed explanation. Me likey! Thanks mate! smile.gif
irsyadfy
post Mar 7 2018, 03:28 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 7 2018, 03:23 PM)
we need more horns whistling.gif
TSquovadis123
post Mar 7 2018, 04:09 PM

Keys
2,882 posts

Top Posters in V30
horns 398
irsyadfy 285
quovadis123 175
richard912 75
4lt4ir 66
horns
post Mar 7 2018, 04:23 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 7 2018, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Mar 7 2018, 03:28 PM)
we need more horns  whistling.gif
lol we are all in this together biggrin.gif

to veterans, these are basics of all basics. however i hope to spread the basics more, so that beginners can have much easier access to tools that they can use cost-effectively, and get immediate benefits from there (instead of telling them to get expensive stuff, yet still leaving them in the dark)

.. actually until now i still cannot find the origin of why krytox was recommended in the first place.

QUOTE(quovadis123 @ Mar 7 2018, 04:09 PM)
Top Posters in V30
horns 398
irsyadfy 285
quovadis123 175
richard912  75
4lt4ir 66
.. damn maybe i'm too obsessed with this hobby.

This post has been edited by horns: Mar 7 2018, 04:29 PM
horns
post Mar 7 2018, 04:28 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

*doubled*

This post has been edited by horns: Mar 7 2018, 04:29 PM
antaras
post Mar 7 2018, 04:29 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 7 2018, 04:23 PM)
.. actually until now i still cannot find the origin of why krytox was recommended in the first place.
hahaha... this must be one of those "legend says..." shit... XD
irsyadfy
post Mar 7 2018, 04:30 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(quovadis123 @ Mar 7 2018, 04:09 PM)
Top Posters in V30
horns 398
irsyadfy 285
quovadis123 175
richard912  75
4lt4ir 66
just keeping this thread alive. rclxm9.gif

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 7 2018, 04:23 PM)
lol we are all in this together biggrin.gif

to veterans, these are basics of all basics. however i hope to spread the basics more, so that beginners can have much easier access to tools that they can use cost-effectively, and get immediate benefits from there (instead of telling them to get expensive stuff, yet still leaving them in the dark)

.. damn maybe i'm too obsessed with this hobby.
agree on that
TSquovadis123
post Mar 7 2018, 04:31 PM

Keys
2,882 posts

QUOTE(antaras @ Mar 7 2018, 04:29 PM)
hahaha... this must be one of those "legend says..." shit... XD
Recommendation by Gods. rclxm9.gif
TSquovadis123
post Mar 7 2018, 04:37 PM

Keys
2,882 posts