Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

APPLE PAY IN MALAYSIA, Official arrives in Malaysia! Aug 2022!

views

Mavik
post Oct 4 2016, 09:55 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Not coming anytime soon. Samsung Pay makes so much more sense as retailers don't have to upgrade/add-on another POS device.

VISA paywave is also good, been using it way too much at McDonalds and AEON big hahaha.
Mavik
post Oct 4 2016, 01:12 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(shyan90's @ Oct 4 2016, 09:58 AM)
If apply Apple Pay does not need to upgrade the machine.. it bet there is a lot of ppl using it now tongue.gif
Actually it is only here in Malaysia and a few other countries where retailers have to buy the POS system. Other countries the banks are the issuers and providers of the POS and its free for the retailers. Hence it is easier for them to adopt. Sadly in Malaysia iOS users only accounts for 10% of the smartphone market.
Mavik
post Jan 19 2019, 01:26 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

For banking customers, less than 10% use iOS devices with their mobile banking app here in Malaysia. Just by those numbers alone, it doesn't justify the cost needed to setup an alternative payment solution nor would retailers here want to spend more on another terminal. Most of them already complain about the costs of the credit card terminal yet add on additional ones.
Mavik
post Feb 7 2019, 11:53 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(Mackiddo @ Feb 3 2019, 07:10 PM)
Apple Pay is ready in Malaysia. It rides on the paywave platform which is already available.  I have used Apple Pay via Apple Watch or iPhone XS countless of time in Malaysia. It is just that the local banks do not support it.
It isn't just the local banks, but through their dealer network such as GH Payments and the others who resell the services on behalf of banks. Because of how certain banks are setup, if for example if a merchant takes a credit card terminal from Maybank, they will get 2 machines, one for Visa/Mastercard and another for AMEX. On top of that, if the merchant wants another bank, thats additional more machines. The trick here is how much % cut that needs to go to Apple. Visa/Mastercard/Paynet/Amex all take a cut in the transaction fees. Add another player, that means a diminishing % margins for the merchant. Its bad enough that products may have razer thin margins especially for certain items hence its gets a bit tricky. Samsung had Samsung pay for the longest time but consumer adoption is still fairly low on that.
Mavik
post Mar 8 2020, 04:23 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Feb 12 2020, 10:48 PM)
Local banks are resisting Apple Pay because need to share some % with Apple. Who would share profits with a competitor anyway?
Its actually no different to paying the network percentages fee to the likes of Mastercard, Visa, American Express and PayNet.
Mavik
post Jan 8 2021, 07:43 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(PoisonSoul @ Jan 8 2021, 01:13 AM)
It's up to banks to support ApplePay and not BNM's if I'm not mistaken. That's why we do not see Samsung Pay in any BNM regulation. Correct me if I'm wrong. If Youtrip takes AP here, hands down most iOS users are gonna flock to obtain this card.
Bank's won't support it if the Merchants wouldn't want it. Today the margins for merchant transactions for banks are already so slim with very low MDR rates. Then with players such as Grab and other eWallet offering 1% MDR rates to merchants, more and more merchants would prefer that sort of payment over Credit Card/Apple Pay/Samsung Pay.

At the end of the day, it's not the bank alone but also the merchants. Heck, even with the new DuitNow QR where there is 0% MDR fee, merchants also are hesitant to implement it.
Mavik
post Jan 11 2021, 04:39 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(faizalmzain @ Jan 11 2021, 02:15 PM)
i think most bank now use standard duitnow QR pay. it is supposed to be standard QR code for ewallet  regulated by BNM.
for ewallet, maybank QR pay already implement standard duitnow QR .
for maybank qr pay you can pay with any bank app.

for merchants, if they already accept credit card payment i don't see any reason they don't want to accept since apple, google, samsung pay work the same as paywave, on merchant side they don't have to do anything.
you can pay with samsung pay with any credit card terminal that accept paywave.
yup, not just Maybank QR Pay but all of the local banks have already implemented the QR scanning and paying functionality in their mobile banking app. If you try with a CIMB, Public Bank, Hong Leong Bank or other local banks, you can pay even at the merchant which displays the Maybank QR Code there. A good way and easy way to pay especially at the smaller merchants. But again it boils down to whether the merchant wants to have an electronics trail on their payments as well.

To say that the merchant doesn't have to do anything isn't 100% true as well, it depends on how long their POS machine is and who supplied it to them. Some of the older ones doesn't have the eWallet scanning feature to scan Grab/Touch'n'Go/Boost and only have Paywave functionality which mostly accepts only Visa/Mastercard. The older ones would have a separate machine for AMEX and also Union pay. The newer ones all especially those with LCD touch screen can accept all networks Visa/Master/Paynet/AMEX/UnionPay/etc..

For the acceptance of Samsung pay, it is more whether the staff manning the counter knows that their POS machine can scan it.
Mavik
post Jan 26 2021, 10:08 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Actually I just realised that I have a SG debit card, how do I enable Apple Pay on my iPhone? Do I need to set the region to Singapore in order for it to appear?
Mavik
post Jan 30 2021, 09:58 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(taga @ Jan 27 2021, 01:45 PM)
The QR payment can be allow for those dirt poor merchant (e.g. roadside hawker) that barely can afford to print their merchant QR code cardboard.

The rest of the businesses simply have no excuse not to get the terminal. Even some vending machine here have visa wave terminal integrated. Nobody likes to

unlock their phone,
wait..,
open app,
wait..,
type in the amount,
click click,
type promo code,
click,
type pin number,
then only pay!

Like that I rather pay by card la, even cash is better. urgh...
Those merchants who really want to optimise operations and also look at the big picture will go for the credit card terminals which today banks offer and these terminals can even accept ewallet payments as well.

And then there are merchants who don't want their exact revenue to be recorded in some form so that they can declare less for less tax. Hence why you see the tax man standing outside popular restaurants counting the number of plates sold doh.gif doh.gif
Mavik
post Jan 30 2021, 10:01 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(Icehart @ Jan 27 2021, 05:23 PM)
Do you guys know what's the signup cost to bear NFC Pay? You need the terminal + monthly fees + cc fees.

QR Pay? Just sign up through app, QR code print out cardboard and relatively low 1% fee.
Depending on your provider the rental of the terminal can be free (based on your transaction volume - both in $ amount and frequency)

The CC fees or the terminology used is called MDR rate (Merchant Discount Rate).
Debit card <1%
Credit card =>1%-1.5% (Master/Visa is lower compared to AMEX, not sure how much the UnionPay network charges)
eWallet Grab = 1%
Boost, TnG = ???
Mavik
post Jan 30 2021, 11:28 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(vasculio82 @ Jan 30 2021, 10:36 AM)
Contacted banker friend regarding this, they say the framework was by previous administration so not going to take effect lol
yeah at the end of the day, most of the fees and charges are by the networks themselves, the bank takes a lower percentage.
Mavik
post Jan 31 2021, 09:57 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(Ericbau @ Jan 30 2021, 03:49 PM)
Pathetic Malaysia.
It’s not Apple fault , it’s depend our banks and gov nothing else.
Why our neighbour country can support Apple Pay so quickly but but we can’t ?
Local banks here just want to push their own system which is not work very well , they just failed to admit it.
Another thing is our beloved gov don’t know all these kind advance technology instead they prefer traditional way and baby step for qrpays
For a market with less than 5% iOS market share especially for banks, the ROI to setup Apple Pay isn't there at all.
Mavik
post Jan 31 2021, 10:00 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(PoisonSoul @ Jan 30 2021, 10:38 PM)
So you think AP will see the light of day here? Maybe when everyone realise where eWallet is a god damn hassle and ditch eWallet indefinitely and prefer something like AP or SP(Samsung), baru those higher up ppl in the banks will give green light.
It will take a while because the banks who already made the initial investment with Samsung Pay, that hasn't really recouped back yet.
Mavik
post Mar 11 2021, 06:02 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(KopiMalaysiano @ Mar 10 2021, 10:19 PM)
def will not do well in malaysia and will be exclusive
Yup, hence it's not a very strong proposition. I would rather have Google Pay here instead.
Mavik
post Jul 18 2021, 04:25 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(jagadis @ Jul 7 2021, 10:51 AM)
This is good news. I think all banks should consider investing more in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay etc because at least their card is in use.
I believe what is holding them back are actually the numbers and volume. For example, when I spoke to some folks in a local bank who implemented Samsung Pay, the numbers were just too low. This is because after cutting through the population of Android users, it's then specific to Samsung phones and then certain Samsung phones. Since the launch of Samsung Pay then until now, the eWallets have grown tremendously and they did a lot of the heavy lifting, like A LOT of heavy lifting, which is MERCHANT acquisition and training. Most of the time if you want to pay with Samsung Pay which you can pay with it, the staff at the retail outlets or shops probably don't know that they work. This is what eWallets like Grab, Boost, TnG and FAVE have been investing in training the merchant staff on how to handle it. The more trained they are in any of those platforms, the more they will easily accept it.
Mavik
post Aug 21 2021, 01:42 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

After trying to go through all the steps, I decided it is easier to take out my credit card and use PayWave at the stores...
Mavik
post Oct 6 2021, 09:11 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(knuxed @ Sep 27 2021, 03:11 PM)
user posted image

why cant apple pay be supported when qr payments is dominant in malaysia
Have you ask Paynet on that since they own the DuitNow QR code network here in Malaysia
Mavik
post Oct 8 2021, 10:15 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(wjleong15 @ Oct 6 2021, 03:21 PM)
samsung pay and garmin pay no need to pay loyalty?
No, that was why Samsung Pay was introduced here because they offer better incentives to the bank.
Mavik
post Oct 8 2021, 11:31 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(wjleong15 @ Oct 8 2021, 10:47 AM)
no wonder
garmin pay also no fees to bank?
No idea on that, was never approached by Garmin
Mavik
post Oct 26 2021, 11:00 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

At the end of the day, anyone who is willing to fork out for Apple's fees would only enable Apple Pay here. Too many eWallet players and now with the push for DuitNow QR and also next year when Bank Negara announces the winners of the Digital Banking license holders, it's going to be quite unlikely for Apple Pay here. That is my gut feel.

This post has been edited by Mavik: Oct 26 2021, 11:00 AM

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.54    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 PM