Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

Drian
post Jun 28 2016, 06:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Planning to get a car for my wife, this is a second car and only will be driving to work and fetching my son from baby sitter. Her yearly mileage is only 6k so I don't think it's worth it to get new. The usage is too low to justify a new car.

However I would like the car to be safe, big enough for a car seat, have isofix and the boot big enough to say put a stroller.

What do you think of Iriz , vs polo sedan (1.6a, normal auto gearbox) ? Any other car in the equation? Currently driving 2003 vios (vios is really reliable btw).

Drian
post Jun 28 2016, 06:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(andrewyu2005 @ Jun 28 2016, 06:25 PM)
get iriz 1.6 exec or exec 1.3 mt or standard. dont get cvt thanks.
Don't think she's willing to drive a manual that's the problem.
The standard comes with traditional gearbox?

Haven't test drive the iriz yet , but reading reviews on the CVT whine, I think that is one thing she will notice coming from a vios.

This post has been edited by Drian: Jun 28 2016, 06:32 PM
Drian
post Jun 30 2016, 03:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 29 2016, 06:45 PM)

Polo Sedan/Hatch iinm stock clearance price would be around RM50k - RM65K.
Both would have ISOFIX seats.
The hatch doesn't have as big a boot for shouldn't be an issue putting a stroller inside, infact putting stuff like stroller in hatches is easier because of the lower tailgate for sedans you've gotta lift it high then drop it in (kills your back), and unless you've got twins and using a twinstroller the hatch would be spacious enough.

ok thanks but how about suzuki swift? the one with the normal auto gearbox non cvt. Are they worth it?

Drian
post Jul 14 2016, 02:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

mazda 6 2.0 second hand 2013-2014 vs new civic turbo.
Thoughts anyone ?
This is car is for family and long distance driving.
Both have same amount of interior space but mazda 6 has less power.
Drian
post Jul 14 2016, 03:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Jul 14 2016, 03:04 PM)
hmmm dif segment... mazda should quite abit larger...... just go view both i guess...
It's roughly the same except that mazda is slightly wider, leg room and everything roughly the same.
I test drove it but the problem is I couldn't test highway speed, only city driving kind of speed.

This post has been edited by Drian: Jul 14 2016, 03:22 PM
Drian
post Jul 16 2016, 12:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 16 2016, 11:10 AM)

One is a used D-segment car another is a new C-segment car.
Apple and Watermelon cannot be compared.

I know that , but the civic has as much interior space as the mazda 6. Also the ride and handling has also improved for the civic.
This is like comparing an apple which is as big as a watermelon. Different and yet roughly the same.

Drian
post Sep 6 2016, 02:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Sep 3 2016, 01:49 PM)
it is the usual lingo for the problems the car highlighting to you.
you know like battery low, transmission failure, etc.

Warranty is attached to the car, not the owner.
However, if the previous owner voided any warranty regulations like service at non authorized service centers than all bets are off.

user posted image

Here is what you plan to you, right?
Buy a car that depreciated a little bit because it is 2 years old.
The thing is people rarely sell 2 year old cars unless it has problems.
Anyway, lets look at the math.

Look at the yellow line, interest paid to bank is the same amount if you buy new or used because of the interest rate difference.
Of course monthly you've got to fork out an extra 400 but you'll be getting a new car instead of a used one.

The car you intend to buy like Vios or City don't depreciate from 80k to 50k in 2 years.
People buy Toyota & Honda because resale value is high.
If you're to aim for Mitsubishi/Mazda/Nissan you'd be about right.
I think it is easier to put in the extra interest cost to the price of the 2nd hand car so that a 1-1 comparison can be made to new car.

On average 2nd hand car interest rate is about 1% higher so:-

Price of 2nd hand car + (1% X number of years loan X loan amount) + processing fee.

Once you factor this in sometimes it may not be as cheap as you think.

eg:-
Mazda 6 2015 - 119k
http://www.mudah.my/2015+Mazda+6+2+0L+Skya...pe-48051712.htm

lets assume 7 year loan + 2k processing fee and 110k loan.

Total Cost = 119k + (1% X 110k X 7 years) + 2k = 128.7k
So the price you see is not the price you pay if you include the overhead.

now if you take the 128.7k and compare it with an unreg 2015.
http://www.mudah.my/UNREG+FACELIFT+2015+Ma...IV-46807875.htm

128.7k vs 139k unreg <-- this is a more accurate comparison to new car price, not 119k vs 139k.

so the difference in price doesn't seem to be very big now and in fact the 2nd hand car is only 10k cheaper than new.

Just want to point out the 2nd hand purchase price is not what you get. There is a lot of "overhead" cost when you buy a second hand car that one needs to factor in that is not applicable when you buy new.

This post has been edited by Drian: Sep 6 2016, 03:35 PM
Drian
post Sep 7 2016, 10:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Sep 7 2016, 09:33 AM)
im no good with loans and whatnot... but if you bought a new car usian a loan, dont you have to apply a similar multiplier to the new car's price?
It's not 100% accurate. The reason is with the new car although it has a lower interest rate, the loan amount is higher. You need to do a full excel like what Zenix did for a more accurate analysis. Mine is just what you should do roughly in the head to figure out whether it is a good deal when browsing for 2nd hand car price.

However looking at this, it shows that for the first 1-2 years the selling price for 2nd hand car must be a lot lower than they are for it to be worth it buying compared to new due to all the overhead.

Drian
post Sep 7 2016, 04:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(tekplyrX @ Sep 7 2016, 04:13 PM)
True that.. lack of experience is what the sellers capitalize on to dupe buyers. I went to get a mazda 6 2010 model and the seller told me that the insurance would cost me the same amount it was in 2010, rm3k+ WTF??? He started talking about the car < 10yrs old e.t.c.. Well at the end I didn't' buy.
how much was the "negotiated selling price" and how much is the "OTR price"?

Drian
post Sep 8 2016, 10:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(Soul Seeker @ Sep 7 2016, 11:08 PM)
Now considering to get either cerato city or vios.
Main concern should be RV reliability. cerato kx seems attractive at current discount but worried about the RV. Any insight for this three car ?
I test drove it and didn't like the ride and handling. But if it is auto gearbox reliability usually it's ok.

Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Funny I was talking to a 2015 Mazda M3 GL spec owner on mudah who wanted to sell his car for rm95k. I said that his car is close to new car price(new car =105k for gl spec), and ask how much can he lower his car price down to. He then claimed that his new car is worth 115k. I showed him the price list of the car that showed 105k and then he said I better buy the new car then and that I never include GST. (The price list that I gave him is shown with GST)

It seems like nowadays even private owners are behaving like 2nd hand car dealer. Maybe he thinks that he will get lucky.
I don't think he even realize the extra interest rate buying his car will probably eat up any of the difference in price.

This post has been edited by Drian: Sep 9 2016, 09:19 AM
Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 09:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

BTW which is more reliable peugeout 508 vs Passat 1.8 TSI.

Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 10:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Sep 9 2016, 09:55 AM)
BMW 3 series 320d pawn them, all
I know, but too showy.

Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 11:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Sep 9 2016, 11:01 AM)
Who is a better person Devil or Satan?  devil.gif
In mudah now got one guy selling Mitsu Colt 1.5 turbo for 43k.
Abit high.  doh.gif
28-35k is a decent price.
What do you think is a cheap, fun to drive, d segment car.
Lets assume I have 20k-25k cash on top of the regular maintainence for all those repairs.

Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 01:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Sep 9 2016, 11:59 AM)
if you dont mind the heavy heavy tax... and potential bombs along the way(and assuming no loans)
sometimes, me no realistic person. will spew out stuff i like~~

e39
+ very nais car (some do think its one of the less popular 5 series) also pretty powerful
+ rwd
+ shove in a 1jz and you can literally fly
+shops offering owners around 15k (then they try sell for somewhere around 25k not even otr mad.gif) for them so you can capitalise on that whistling.gif
- when things do go wrong, it can go wrong bad....
- parts can be exp.
- old

Cefiro a33 is kinda nais.
+powerful, luxurious, reliable and tanky
-roadtax will kill you.. its that bad (ayam talking bout 3.0 since thats the good stuff)
- old

s60
+powerful (very much so actually)
- if things do go very wrong, it can cost 'more than/as much as' the beemer to fix

if you want something that wont burn your pocket, get something like a accord/camry~ but they are nowhere as nice to drive as the 3 above, not even in the same ballpark
That's a bit too old... I was thinking in the range of 50-70k. That's why I was asking on peugout 508 /passat , but dunno what other choices i have

Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 03:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Sep 9 2016, 02:16 PM)
60-70k....

These are the types of cars 'I' like:

kizashi (less than 5 years old)
+just within budget, quite a powerful car, very sporty looking
+will be cheaper to deal with compared to what you have in mind
- model specific accessories might be harder to come by
- body parts are more difficult to source (but as zenix mentions you dont have to bother bout that, you only need to care about the wear and tear parts)
-2.4l tax might put you a little off?

CL7
+also just within budget
+parts (mechanical parts at least) are plentiful, shares the k20 engine (some have the k24)
+very sporty as well, basically sold as a performance oriented d segment
+available in a manual formatĀ  brows.gif (guessing you are probably not into this)
+somewhat comfortable for a performance oriented car
- not comfortable compared to most typical d segments
- many are abused/modified unfortunately
- much older than the others

Lexus IS 250
+luxury + class all in one

and then we have your typical go-to mellow d segs
Camry
Accord
Teana
Kizashi sounds interesting.
The thing is believe it or not , I have never ever seen one on the road before. Reading review ... they sold 11 in 2011.
I mean does the SC even know how to service this thing(I'm working in penang from kl btw). Is there even spare parts that you can order ?
Not looking for accord at this moment.

I'm looking for a more european ride and handling kind of car.

This post has been edited by Drian: Sep 9 2016, 04:05 PM
Drian
post Sep 9 2016, 04:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Sep 9 2016, 01:59 PM)
http://www.carlist.my/used-cars/3090585/20...2-5-msport.html

Btw, zenix mentioned it was a detuned 3.0L car............ brows.gif  brows.gif
I don't want to drive the same car as my company director ...haha

Drian
post Sep 11 2016, 04:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Sep 11 2016, 01:52 PM)
Please suggest:
1. Brand. - Any as long as it is easily purchased in Malaysia
2. Budget. - Below RM150k
3. New/Used/Unreg. - New
4. Specs. - Smaller than Kancil or Viva. Must be low fuel consumption.
5. Transmission. - Prefer MT. AT is ok too.
6. NA or FI ? - Any
7. Type. (Sedan, 2 Seater, Convertible, and etc) - Any
With your budget of 150k , it's a piece of cake

Drian
post Sep 18 2016, 11:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Is there anyway to transfer a used car without having the owner being present? My sister has migrated overseas, i want to trade in her car but obviously i cant ask her to come back here just for car ownership transfer. Is there anyway that she can do it overseas without her coming back ?
Drian
post Sep 18 2016, 11:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(passmaster14 @ Sep 17 2016, 10:40 PM)
Hi all, rarely visit this subforum but would like some opinion on this.

Am looking to replace my 2003 Waja with something that has better fuel consumption, but at the same time not sacrificing cabin space. I spend anywhere between RM200-RM250 a month on petrol as I travel in town quite a bit for meetings, and would like to take that figure down lol.

Was offered a 2013 Civic Hybrid with 31k mileage for ~70k, and wondering if it's better value compared to the City E series? Heard some contrasting comments about maintenance for the civic hybrid: some say it should be cheap since they use same civic parts, but that a lot of mechanics don't want to service it cos of the complex electronics.

Am seriously considering the hybrid since it ticks the important criteria (low FC and large space), but am a bit worried about maintenance. It's also considerably cheaper than a new city. Hoping you guys can shed some light on this, thank you! smile.gif
You might as well get a prius 2013, battery warranty is 8 years and thats a real hybrid that gives you real 10-11 cents/km.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2816sec    0.47    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:33 PM